The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Old 07-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #26
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Default Re: Are you a completionist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misjuevos View Post
are you trying to impress someone with your cluttered shelves? or you just like a constant reminder of how much you spent on movies? whatever that's your thing i guess. for me i don't need the mess on my shelves anymore.

hooking it to the pc is way better for me. i don't have to watch an old vhs i got i can watch a new clearer digital version. and i don't have to worry about my vcr eating my tape when i rewind it. or worry about a dvd i lent someone that came back scratched and will skip.

saying it is yours forever that doesn't make sense. you can also purchase the movie as a digital download to keep forever so it will always be yours as well.
why do you need to hold the film disc? you watch them, touching the disc is pointless.
Different strokes for different folks.

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #27
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by misjuevos View Post
are you trying to impress someone with your cluttered shelves? or you just like a constant reminder of how much you spent on movies? whatever that's your thing i guess. for me i don't need the mess on my shelves anymore.

hooking it to the pc is way better for me. i don't have to watch an old vhs i got i can watch a new clearer digital version. and i don't have to worry about my vcr eating my tape when i rewind it. or worry about a dvd i lent someone that came back scratched and will skip.

saying it is yours forever that doesn't make sense. you can also purchase the movie as a digital download to keep forever so it will always be yours as well.
why do you need to hold the film disc? you watch them, touching the disc is pointless.
Yeah, until your computer/portable hard drive ****s out on you and you lose it all...which has happened to just about everyone I know that has had one.

Figs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #28
misjuevos
I am Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Yeah, until your computer/portable hard drive ****s out on you and you lose it all...which has happened to just about everyone I know that has had one.
then you should know by now, what most do, Back Up Your Files. there are so many ways that point is invalid now. you can use a disc, a thumb drive, a portable drive, you can even do it online.

you act like no one ever had to replace their vcr that ate tapes. or get a new dvd player that plays more disc formats that your weren't even aware you needed when you bought the first one.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #29
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

I just completed my Tarantino blu ray collection. Next is to fill out my Kevin Smith collection.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #30
Team Andino
The Paragon of Virtue

I bought last year for $2 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to go along with my box set of the Original Trilogy. To say the least I didn't like the movie but as a fan I felt compelled to complete my collection. I'll have no problem getting it when I buy the Blu-Ray collection soon though.

Team Andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #31
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
I just completed my Tarantino blu ray collection. Next is to fill out my Kevin Smith collection.

Lately I've been doing that with Directors and Action stars. I own just about every Jean Claude Van Damme film and not sure I can justify it.

bullets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #32
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
Lately I've been doing that with Directors and Action stars. I own just about every Jean Claude Van Damme film and not sure I can justify it.
I do that with Directors, not so much actors. I do make some exceptions though. I won't Robert Rodriguez's kids films, but his other stuff I've got on blu ray. I'm working on Kevin Smith's collection right now, as well as Scorcese's. Coppola will come after that.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #33
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
Same here about completing a favorite director's filmography on Blu-ray.

As for Van Damme, I still need to get Hard Target on Blu, which I don't even think is out yet.

Figs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #34
Slushy
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Only with the Rocky series.

Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #35
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
I do that with Directors, not so much actors. I do make some exceptions though. I won't Robert Rodriguez's kids films, but his other stuff I've got on blu ray. I'm working on Kevin Smith's collection right now, as well as Scorcese's. Coppola will come after that.

I couldn't sit through a Spy Kid film either. I watched three minutes and couldn't believe it was from the director of Dusk til Dawn. I was collecting Tony Scott films on blu ray shortly before he died ( and still am). Also thinking about Hitchcock.

Quote:
Same here about completing a favorite director's filmography on Blu-ray.

As for Van Damme, I still need to get Hard Target on Blu, which I don't even think is out yet.

A lot of his earlier work is making it to blu ray but still no release date on Hard Target. It's odd because that's one of his most popular films.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #36
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Working on my Guillermo Del Toro collection right now. I just bought the Mimic Directors Cut on blu ray today and Pan's Labyrinth last week. I'll get Cronos and The Devils Backbone soon too.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #37
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
I used to be when I was younger back in the VHS/DVD days but over time I've become a bit of a film snob. I won't buy the Jurassic Park trilogy no matter how much I want the original because I think the sequels are ****..
You know, I liked the sequels, but I felt this way when I found out I couldn't get it standalone. I only really wanted JP1. lol

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #38
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Working on my Guillermo Del Toro collection right now. I just bought the Mimic Directors Cut on blu ray today and Pan's Labyrinth last week. I'll get Cronos and The Devils Backbone soon too.

I liked the Tarantino set you posted in the other thread. I would of considered a purchase but I have all of his film. I'm almost done with Tony Scott. I just need two of his films to hit blu ray.

Last edited by bullets; 09-18-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #39
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
You know, I liked the sequels, but I felt this way when I found out I couldn't get it standalone. I only really wanted JP1. lol

I think the sequels were good but the first film is so great they pale in comparison. I'd like to own the original because I wouldn't revisit the sequels often enough.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #40
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Pretty much haha

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #41
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Just finished my Guillermo Del Toro collection today. Got everything on blu ray with the exception of Devils Backbone (there hasn't been a US release). I found a DVD copy for $1.50 at a local record store.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #42
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I'm a completist and an avid collector....so I am trying to complete so many sets of different things it is crazy.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #43
grout
Side-Kick

Am I a completionist? Yeah I woul....

See what i did there..

grout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #44
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I'm mostly a completionist but if a movie is too terrible I remove it from the box set. As an example got rid of Superman 4 (from the Superman collection) will get rid of Indy 4 from the Indiana Jones series.

As for my collection I have one major rule, can I see myself watching movie again sometime down the line. If the answers is no then I get rid of the movie. This has reduced my previously large collection to a small managable collection.

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote