The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 10-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #951
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Clark Gregg/Agent Coulson Support Thread

I suppose it is true how we saw him do the retinal scan to get into the good stuff on the Helicarrier but while we assumed it was just to get the Destroyer gun, it could have been to activate his LMD, too...

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #952
Godzilla2000
Humble Huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
I suppose it is true how we saw him do the retinal scan to get into the good stuff on the Helicarrier but while we assumed it was just to get the Destroyer gun, it could have been to activate his LMD, too...
Ah, shrewd earthborn human! He pulled a Loki on Loki!

- I take growing my hair extremely long for charity VERY seriously. Think of the children!

STOP THE INSANITY!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Understanding me:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...usaolp00000592
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #953
Donut
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
Excellent idea

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #954
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

I'm almost positive that the show will be set pre-Avengers now.

It would explain how Coulson is alive, it would be an excuse to not have to have cameos from any of the Avengers, and it could serve to set up various story threads in the universe that could be explored by later films without juggling the timeline of the show and the movies...

EDIT: It would also account for why the new SHIELD agents in ITEM 47 wouldn't be making any appearances, as we heard.

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #955
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
I'm almost positive that the show will be set pre-Avengers now.

It would explain how Coulson is alive, it would be an excuse to not have to have cameos from any of the Avengers, and it could serve to set up various story threads in the universe that could be explored by later films without juggling the timeline of the show and the movies...

EDIT: It would also account for why the new SHIELD agents in ITEM 47 wouldn't be making any appearances, as we heard.

The agents in Item 47 not appearing is easily explained by the fact that most of the actors are going to be on other TV shows. Also, they could work in other areas of SHIELD. It's a big place....

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #956
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
The agents in Item 47 not appearing is easily explained by the fact that most of the actors are going to be on other TV shows. Also, they could work in other areas of SHIELD. It's a big place....
lol, yes i'm aware that the actors are busy with other work...but my point is that if the show is set post-Avengers, many would wonder why our new agents don't make an appearance.

This would be a non-issue with a pre-Avengers show.

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #957
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Although since Item 47 is only on the BluRay and not legally online, a lot of casual viewers wouldn't have seen it so it wouldn't be an issue. I'm still finding people who have never even heard of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer and have definitely never seen it.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #958
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
lol, yes i'm aware that the actors are busy with other work...but my point is that if the show is set post-Avengers, many would wonder why our new agents don't make an appearance.

This would be a non-issue with a pre-Avengers show.

People might wonder where the other agents are, but chances are that the issue will be addressed in some way. Fury, Romanoff, Barton and (to a lesser extent) Hill are far more prominent SHIELD characters whom we know will not be on the show, no matter when it's set. That would be a bigger issue than the absence of some bit players in a short film that many viewers won't have seen anyway. Whedon can handle that situation in any number of ways: stationing Coulson and his agents at a distant SHIELD facility, having the characters move around constantly following leads (a la X-Files), etc. There will be some explanation for why the SHIELD agents we know from the films (apart from Coulson) are nowhere to be seen, I'm sure.

One sore spot for me is that they don't plan to use any of the established SHIELD agents from the comics in the series. This would seem to be an ideal way to add in people like Clay Quartermain, Jimmy Woo, Wendell Vaughn, etc., to the MCU (or MTU). It would be fun to see the old gang from the original comic book series brought to life, but I guess we won't get that.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #959
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I'm thinking that one way to get round Coulson's death in the Avengers is to adopt the Baywatch solution:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Sweep it under the carpet and conveniently ignore the fact that he was killed off, offering no explanation whatsoever, but letting viewers come to their own realisation while watching it of "hey, didn't that character die before?"

Old 11-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #960
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

lol this was on FB this morning

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:52 AM   #961
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
lol this was on FB this morning

That was created by someone on Tumblr months ago. It pops up on my dashboard frequently. We do love the "Fanboy Phil" meme.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #962
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Think we'll get anything new with the Avengers Box Set 2.0?

I really hope we get some tv show goodies since the original box set would have hinted at it...

Old 11-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #963
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

there's SUPPOSED to be a clip that was cut from Thor with Foster and Selvig experimenting with a bifrost device

....to every King.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #964
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Agent Phil Coulson is #21 on MTV's Best Film Characters of 2012

Quote:
We're more than halfway through the MTV Movies team's countdown of the Top 50 Movie Characters of 2012, which can only mean one thing: it's time to bust out Earth's mightiest heroes. But it's not an actual Avenger on today's list of spots 30 through 21; it's one of the team's supporting players, a brave soul who gave his life in service of saving the world.

Hulk came in at #1, BTW.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #965
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

Whoo, go Phil!

Shockdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #966
darthcoolness3
Side-Kick

I don't think Agent Coulson is dead. Loki probably killed Coulson's Clone that had the Destroyer Gun. Because Agent Coulson is the principal of Midtown High in the Ultimate Spider-Man tv series.

darthcoolness3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #967
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Or the fact that Phil Coulson will be alive and well in the SHIELD tv series that's NOT a prequel. I think Ultimate Spider-Man is a sort of alternate universe.

Tony Stark does mention LMD early in the film so then when Coulson shows up in that last helicarrier scene, those in the know can go, LMD! But it wasn't a huge distraction for everyone else. Most people didn't even notice him.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #968
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

Would it be possible for the real Coulson to have been stabbed and survive? Just curious because I don't remember if he actually took his last breath onscreen. Someone may be able to refresh my memory bcause if he didn't die onscreen then he could be alive and be getting an upgrade for the Shield tv show. Coulson 2.0

TDK elbowstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #969
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Well, he stopped mid-sentence and looked dead...then, the medics came in and Fury said they called it over the com. system.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #970
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

Okay, so he did take his last breath onscreen. The reason I ask is because Fury will do or say anything to accomplish his desired results. I wouldn't put it past him to lie about Coulsons death to get everyone band together.

Ever since the second time I saw Avengers, and many times since, I started to suspect there was more to the bloody Cap trading cards Fury had. And Maria Hills reaction to Furys little white lie made me think she suspected there was maybe more to his lie than what he admitted to. Can you imagine if Coulson really was stabbed and survived? And Furys whole heartfelt speech about believing in Heroes and such was just to sell Coulsons death and further invoke anger at his supposed loss? Classic Fury!! Not only would it be in character for him and awesome, it would further cement what was said about Fury in Avenger about his being a liar, and his secrets having secrets and having blood on his hands.

TDK elbowstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:35 AM   #971
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

The fake bloody cards only intensified the real death of Coulson; nothing more, nothing less.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #972
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

not to mention those may not have been Coulson's REAL trading cards lol

....to every King.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #973
Superhero 101
DESI

Hey i was just watching the movie last night and i picked up on something and i want to know what you guys think

During the scene where Rogers first Meets Banner we see BW talking to Coulson saying something about how they need him on the bridge to start a face trace. And i was wondering that since the TV show is set after Avengers maybe that the Face Trace has something to do with a Life Model Decoy and they can use like a flashback showing Coulson getting scanned so that he can use his LMD. And when Coulson appears to scan his eyes during the Helicarrier being attacked he "activates" it.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #974
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero 101 View Post
Hey i was just watching the movie last night and i picked up on something and i want to know what you guys think

During the scene where Rogers first Meets Banner we see BW talking to Coulson saying something about how they need him on the bridge to start a face trace. And i was wondering that since the TV show is set after Avengers maybe that the Face Trace has something to do with a Life Model Decoy and they can use like a flashback showing Coulson getting scanned so that he can use his LMD. And when Coulson appears to scan his eyes during the Helicarrier being attacked he "activates" it.

The "face trace" Natasha referred to was the scanning program SHIELD was using that took images from cameras and cellphones all over the world to look for Loki and Clint Barton's faces. When Coulson underwent the retinal scan after Fury told him to go to the munitions vault before going down to the Detention area, that was to allow him access to the locker with the Destroyer gun in it. Of course there is no reason why he couldn't also have been activating an LMD in the same area, though that wasn't mentioned.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #975
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I don't know guys; as much as I love the character, I really hope that they don't actually resurrect the character or recton his fate in "The Avengers" since that would just put another pound to the head of the nail that the MCU is really becoming too tame. I mean sure, we have aliens blowing up stuff and Loki gauging one random dude's eye out, but when you really think about it, there hasn't really been any real sense of casualties shown in a realistic way since Iron Man 1.

Now, they just show people running around the streets in chaos and only say with montages or assumptions that people were killed; either that, or no main/important character to the hero(es) ever die, so it was a refresher to see someone close at home be hit for once since it actually reminds folks that there's some sense of danger attached to all of this and that the characters we love on screen can be killed off as well.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote