The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 10-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #451
Beast7

Default Re: The Official Bane Costume Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdmaul View Post
Its a adjustable to a point BUT if it wasnt made for you it wont fit as well as it should.

I would have to disagree actually, the pads on the SIQ vest are generic to every model that is made. The only difference is the sizing of the vest. As for the SIQ vest its beautiful BUT insanely expensive and will drop in price eventually when the need for them dies down.

Your going to have a really hard time getting into the vest thats for sure. I had mine made before I started my Gym routine at 44 inch chest and I am a 45.5 now and its harder for me to get in BUT mine has been stretched and worn a bunch.
Damn thanks guys I'm just looking for an very accurate vest and I don't know if I should bid on it =\

Beast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #452
Kiyashi
Side-Kick

Quote:
That looks like one of my vests BUT he has modified it heavily for what reason I do not know! I actually think he made it less accurate by modding it the way he did!
What a shame man. I actually was speaking to the guy about this. but if he modified it from wtf it was before then I don't think it's worth it. Why in the world did he have to mess with it. It was perfectly fine the way your vests were. Just a little weathering and it was perfect. Guess back to saving up for a SiQ vest I go =/

Kiyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #453
Spamtron
THE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight15 View Post
I know this is a bane costume thread it I couldn't find a batman one. Kris from Hell's Kitchen CC made this for me last year. I have the UD gloves and boots to wear with it. Here's some pics on the mannequin

Just need to find a way to attatch the cape
Nice! And still comes in about 31 lbs ligher than the movie suits.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #454
Opiate
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjohn311 View Post
Thinking of bane wearing brand name sports apparel lol, doesn't seem very bane like
I'm not implying that theres some lost canon somewhere in which bane goes to footlocker and picks up a shirt, but the PROP they used in the movie looks a bit like under armour. It is just an option. Also you may not be aware of this, but under armour is EXTREMELY prominent in the military. I honestly forgot that they were mainly sports oriented.

Oh, and how would under armour not be "bane like" but a faded glory shirt from walmart would? Lol

Opiate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #455
ssjohn311
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
I'm not implying that theres some lost canon somewhere in which bane goes to footlocker and picks up a shirt, but the PROP they used in the movie looks a bit like under armour. It is just an option. Also you may not be aware of this, but under armour is EXTREMELY prominent in the military. I honestly forgot that they were mainly sports oriented.

Oh, and how would under armour not be "bane like" but a faded glory shirt from walmart would? Lol
Not trying to start an argument over this. I never said the walmart one was bane like, it was just the best I could find. Thats why I asked for some help for a more accurate one on these forums. Thanks for the input.

ssjohn311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #456
ssjohn311
Newbie First Class

That vest on ebay looks like a costumebase vest with all that silver on the pads. Not a fan of what he did to it.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #457
SUPARNOVAX
Side-Kick

Quote:
I would have to disagree actually, the pads on the SIQ vest are generic to every model that is made. The only difference is the sizing of the vest. As for the SIQ vest its beautiful BUT insanely expensive and will drop in price eventually when the need for them dies down.
The importance is the right texture the vest shows off and the SiQ looks like they nailed it or they are really close. Sizing is probably the wildest thing most vest attempts haven't gotten down yet. Hopefully the new bluray release will also pack some good BTS footage of Hardy.

Last edited by SUPARNOVAX; 10-17-2012 at 05:04 PM.
SUPARNOVAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #458
Opiate
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjohn311 View Post
Not trying to start an argument over this. I never said the walmart one was bane like, it was just the best I could find. Thats why I asked for some help for a more accurate one on these forums. Thanks for the input.
Not arguing. Just kinda puzzled for a sec.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #459
Luckyslev
That one guy

I think if you're going for the plane scene look, then a black slightly tighter fitting long sleeve will work...no matter what it is. As long as you have anything better than a rubies mask no one will question you. That's my fall back for halloween if I can't get my vest finished in the next week and a half

Luckyslev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #460
Dakins
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricky345 View Post
About achieving a recessed look:
My thoughts were to abuse the ladder-stitch, by either stitiching into the side of the vest and then into the top layer of the armor plate (would loose some fabric along the lenght and width of the vest), or something I haven't tested myself but have not much hope of working, is to leave the spots where the armor-plates will be unquilted in the vest and sew through both vest layers and one plate layer..

Another way could also be to cut out the shape of the plates on the vest and sew the fabric used for the plates on the back and try to turn them inside out with enough batting..
Thanks! We're playing with a couple ideas. One is to do a full layer of batting in the piece, and then I would understitch the armor on around it's edges (so it would be invisible. I'd need one hell of a thimble and about three hours, but it's a viable option.) Then I'd quilt in the ditch. MJStephens (my hubby, this is his vest here) thought maybe to cut out the shape of the armor pieces out of the batting, so that in sewing down the edges of the armor, the vest seen at the sides of the armor is thicker inherently.

The armor construction itself is getting bounced around some, too, with my husband's initial idea being a layer of styrene, then a layer of 1/2" foam, then wrapping that (like you'd upholster a headboard) with the vinyl that gets seen. There are several issues with this for me. 1: how do you attach all the layers without adding lumpy thicknesses (hot glue or fabric glue), sharp bits (staples), etc, and even still again, how do you attach it to the vest (I DO NOT BELIEVE VELCRO IS A GOOD IDEA) and still move credibly.

Dilemmas all around.

RDMaul...I would love you forever for any insight. (Don't tell MJStephens, he'll never know...)

...D'OH!

Dakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #461
borommokot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterynigma View Post
Ended up having to remove the paint from the armor pads because it wouldn't dry, but it gave them a nice dirty look so whatever...
http://instagr.am/p/Q2falORQ-V/
http://instagr.am/p/Q2fEQmxQ-B/
http://instagr.am/p/Q2fORqxQ-H/
dude, that's dope! i really like the way it turned out. just curious, is this the paint you used?
http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-794.../dp/B000V4F5SM

borommokot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #462
stricky345
Side-Kick

Dakins, if you find a good way how to do it let me know!

stricky345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #463
ssjohn311
Newbie First Class

My Proglogue Bane. Got the shirt from Wal Mart for 10 bucks. Still has the tags on the front. Ill post another pic with mask and new boots next week.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #464
Doctor Who
KIDNEYS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebanewagon View Post
So I decided to try weathering up my boots and I think it came out pretty well actually, what do you guys think?

Wow!!! Those are the best custom boots I've seen yet; job very well done!

l

THE LEGEND ENDS

JULY 20TH 2012
Doctor Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #465
Mysterynigma
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by borommokot View Post
dude, that's dope! i really like the way it turned out. just curious, is this the paint you used?
http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-794.../dp/B000V4F5SM
Yup, that's the paint.

Mysterynigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #466
MJStephens
Side-Kick

Finally finished and mounted my pipes!

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/...ps76503e1e.jpg

I'll shave my head and post better pics tomorrow.

Last edited by MJStephens; 10-18-2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: picture was way too big...switched it to a link
MJStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #467
Doctor Who
KIDNEYS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJStephens View Post

Most impressive!

l

THE LEGEND ENDS

JULY 20TH 2012
Doctor Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:57 AM   #468
BlackHawk9790
Newbie First Class

Quote:

That looks great, man! Nice work!

BlackHawk9790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #469
SUPARNOVAX
Side-Kick

Quote:

Looks fantastic so far

Old 10-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #470
ClownPrincess

As much as I disagree with anyone shaving their head, I suppose Bane is an exception.

ClownPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #471
SUPARNOVAX
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
As much as I disagree with anyone shaving their head, I suppose Bane is an exception.
It's the only way.

I shaved last wednesday and my hair is already growing back.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #472
stricky345
Side-Kick

Here is an update on my sad excuse of a sculpt:

Next days will be dedicated to smoothing everything up and do the final touch-ups..

Frustrated how everything turned out.. The head-cast was warped a lot towards the back of the head and it is very flat-headed, which screwed up the whole positioning of the side. I hope once this is cast up, that actually wearing it, stretches everything in order a bit, but don't have much hope..

The clay dried up considerably already and I hope that that and my sloppy working doesn't bite me in the arse at the end...

Old 10-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #473
VenomShock
Side-Kick

I'm just gonna put this out right now. But does anybody have any costume items they're selling right now? Jbrown mask, vest, anything?

VenomShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #474
Opiate
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricky345 View Post
Here is an update on my sad excuse of a sculpt:

Next days will be dedicated to smoothing everything up and do the final touch-ups..

Frustrated how everything turned out.. The head-cast was warped a lot towards the back of the head and it is very flat-headed, which screwed up the whole positioning of the side. I hope once this is cast up, that actually wearing it, stretches everything in order a bit, but don't have much hope..

The clay dried up considerably already and I hope that that and my sloppy working doesn't bite me in the arse at the end...
Your two main problems were:

1: bad life cast.
2: you used wet clay.

You would have had an infinitely easier time with just a generic head, and some sulfur-free modeling clay bro.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #475
stricky345
Side-Kick

Ya, I guess the hugest problem was the very poor head-cast I'd say. Lesson learned even if friends want a budget build, don't save at the wrong end. We'll see what I can get out of this when smoothing. The clay is still workable so I hope the heat and humidity from the plaster will reactivate it enough to get everything out of mold safely. Question of interest. Can you mold oil-based clay in plaster too? Do you heat it up to get out of the mold or use alcohol?