The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #576
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In the neighborhood!
Posts: 39,036
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
This deleted scene and alternate opening seem like they're from a different movie. A much better one at that.
The deleted Cap scenes were good, but the alternate opening/ending were not as strong. Showing us a glimpse at the coming invaders and leading that into Loki's arrival was far stronger, and was a better way of showing the looming threat our heroes had to overcome. The alternate opening gives Hill more character, yes, but doesn't grab the audience's interest as much. By that same token, we the audience respect Nick Fury more than Maria Hill given we have seen him in past films. Thus, when he is telling the council to shut up like a boss, it is awesome. Maria Hill hasn't earned that with us, thus she makes a weaker narrator.

The right decisions were made in cutting the alternate opening/ending. The Cap stuff I can see was cut for film flow reasons, but they are great scenes that would have added to him. Still, I think Cap was a strong character in the film without them.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #577
Great Mind(s)
Broken
 
Great Mind(s)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Posts: 4,125
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
The deleted Cap scenes were good, but the alternate opening/ending were not as strong. Showing us a glimpse at the coming invaders and leading that into Loki's arrival was far stronger, and was a better way of showing the looming threat our heroes had to overcome. The alternate opening gives Hill more character, yes, but doesn't grab the audience's interest as much. By that same token, we the audience respect Nick Fury more than Maria Hill given we have seen him in past films. Thus, when he is telling the council to shut up like a boss, it is awesome. Maria Hill hasn't earned that with us, thus she makes a weaker narrator.

The right decisions were made in cutting the alternate opening/ending. The Cap stuff I can see was cut for film flow reasons, but they are great scenes that would have added to him. Still, I think Cap was a strong character in the film without them.
Oh it was so good though. It would have made the final film much better IMO. As I watched the film while I loved it, I felt like Cap was shortchanged just a bit. We NEEDED to see him upset about the world I think...the scenes should have stayed!

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #578
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger
 
The Caped Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 28,226
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Second Screen Pre-vis: Thor vs. Iron Man & Captain America
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rizElQfDOpU

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #579
warhorse78
Side-Kick
 
warhorse78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 1,849
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
I just noticed that during the argument between all of them on the Helicarrier, Cap tells Tony to "Show some respect". Loved that.
Of all of the times I have seen this movie in the theater, the part where Tony pokes Banner with that prod, well, everytime, the theater would erupt in laughter, and I would only hear Steve just go "hey" to Tony. I watched the movie yesterday, and I just then found out he calls to Tony "are you nuts?" I just found it funny, and true, Tony was nuts, and he really was putting everybody's life at risk doing that stupid stunt.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #580
pyromaniac
Side-Kick
 
pyromaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,641
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Second Screen Pre-vis: Thor vs. Iron Man & Captain America
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rizElQfDOpU
Wow, well, with all those concerns that Cap America's acrobatics were not showcased properly, they definitely were in that previs clip. Why did they shorten that final fight scene, I wonder?

Or is it just my memory failing me a bit?

__________________
'Had we but world enough, and time.'
pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #581
pyromaniac
Side-Kick
 
pyromaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,641
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Of all of the times I have seen this movie in the theater, the part where Tony pokes Banner with that prod, well, everytime, the theater would erupt in laughter, and I would only hear Steve just go "hey" to Tony. I watched the movie yesterday, and I just then found out he calls to Tony "are you nuts?" I just found it funny, and true, Tony was nuts, and he really was putting everybody's life at risk doing that stupid stunt.
The stunt in prodding Bruce? It would hardly be enough to trigger his transformation into the Hulk.

__________________
'Had we but world enough, and time.'
pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #582
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,820
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Am I the only one who thought going into the movie that it'd be hard to swallow Chris Evans/ Robert Downey Jr dynamic, but was shocked when it worked perfectly?

I thought that it'd be damn near impossible to buy 46 year old Robert Downey Jr calling 30 year old Chris Evans "Old Man", but it worked.

__________________
MCU Rest of Decade prediction:

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #583
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.
 
Brian Braddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 13,467
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Maybe, if the roles were being played by lesser actors it wouldnt have come off but RDJ and Evans are very, very good at what they do.

__________________
Klaus Hergesheimer - checking radiation shields....
Brian Braddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #584
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,820
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Maybe, if the roles were being played by lesser actors it wouldnt have come off but RDJ and Evans are very, very good at what they do.
Definitely. I was worried about Downey acting circles around Evans. Chris held his own though.

__________________
MCU Rest of Decade prediction:

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #585
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you
 
IronGirl299's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: A cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 541
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
I thought that it'd be damn near impossible to buy 46 year old Robert Downey Jr calling 30 year old Chris Evans "Old Man", but it worked.
I knew they'd pull it off from the start. That was hilarious. Chris really put on that whole 'Captain America' demeanor that's so different from his Torch persona and RDJ is...Gold. As always

__________________
#COULSONLIVES
Spread the word. It's not over yet.


I am a hopeless Hiddles fangirl!

IronGirl299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #586
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,818
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Am I the only one who thought going into the movie that it'd be hard to swallow Chris Evans/ Robert Downey Jr dynamic, but was shocked when it worked perfectly?

I thought that it'd be damn near impossible to buy 46 year old Robert Downey Jr calling 30 year old Chris Evans "Old Man", but it worked.
It only worked because the audience accepted the idea that Chris Evans was actually Captain America and RDJ was Tony Stark. They inhabited the characters so we'll that people forgot that they where acting. Not to mention with Whedon's touch they ended up behaving more like there comic book counterparts.

__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #587
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,215
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromaniac View Post
The stunt in prodding Bruce? It would hardly be enough to trigger his transformation into the Hulk.

It wouldn't have worked, but Tony certainly hoped that it would.


Another little bit that I noticed was that when Steve said, "Are you nuts?" Tony replied, "Jury's out."

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #588
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,417
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

One thing that I didn't recognize until I had put on the subtitles was during the scene when everyone started arguing and how the camera started moving towards Loki's staff; when you read the subtitles, it definitely cues you in on something that would have been very hard to hear and make out with just the aid of your hearing, but we actually heard Steve telling Tony something like "Stark, if you make another wise crack, I swear to God..".

I thought it was pretty funny after hearing that line from Steve.lol

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #589
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you
 
IronGirl299's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: A cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 541
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

I also love Tony's line: 'This is the guy my dad wouldn't shut up about?' or something to that effect

__________________
#COULSONLIVES
Spread the word. It's not over yet.


I am a hopeless Hiddles fangirl!

IronGirl299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #590
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,337
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
One thing that I didn't recognize until I had put on the subtitles was during the scene when everyone started arguing and how the camera started moving towards Loki's staff; when you read the subtitles, it definitely cues you in on something that would have been very hard to hear and make out with just the aid of your hearing, but we actually heard Steve telling Tony something like "Stark, if you make another wise crack, I swear to God..".

I thought it was pretty funny after hearing that line from Steve.lol
I loved Tonys response: "He's threatening me, I feel threatened!"

__________________
My life is like school on a Sunday...no class.
LostSon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #591
elizah72
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
It only worked because the audience accepted the idea that Chris Evans was actually Captain America and RDJ was Tony Stark. They inhabited the characters so we'll that people forgot that they where acting. Not to mention with Whedon's touch they ended up behaving more like there comic book counterparts.
Yes. And I've been so impressed with how well all of the cast have been inhabiting their roles in both the solo films and Avengers. Especially Chris Evans. He's just so perfectly fitting into the Captain America/Steve role. LOVE him!

elizah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #592
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,417
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

I just realized that Captain America is really the only character in the film that had scenes showing him being formally introduced to every member on the team. Everyone else either already knew each other or met up with each other for the first time at the big battle. However, in Steve's case, we saw him being introduced to or meeting each member before the big battle:

1. He met Natasha after coming out of the Quinjet
2. He was introduced to Banner on the Hellcarrier
3. He met Stark in Germany
4. Met Thor on board the Quinjet
5. Met Hawkeye inside the Hellcarrier

By all accounts, he's already known for having the most screen time in the film; if his "man out of time" sequence had been kept in, it would have made it more evident.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #593
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger
 
The Caped Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 28,226
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I just realized that Captain America is really the only character in the film that had scenes showing him being formally introduced to every member on the team. Everyone else either already knew each other or met up with each other for the first time at the big battle. However, in Steve's case, we saw him being introduced to or meeting each member before the big battle:

1. He met Natasha after coming out of the Quinjet
2. He was introduced to Banner on the Hellcarrier
3. He met Stark in Germany
4. Met Thor on board the Quinjet
5. Met Hawkeye inside the Hellcarrier

By all accounts, he's already known for having the most screen time in the film; if his "man out of time" sequence had been kept in, it would have made it more evident.
agreed,

love this photo reposting it here

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #594
Hypestyle
Side-Kick
 
Hypestyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 5,844
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

I wonder why Evans almost seems so morose about playing the character, based on the interviews of his I read. Out of the current slate of leads, I can see him leaving the franchise(s) the easiest. It's too bad, really. I'd like to see him as Cap for the next 10 years.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #595
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,215
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
I wonder why Evans almost seems so morose about playing the character, based on the interviews of his I read. Out of the current slate of leads, I can see him leaving the franchise(s) the easiest. It's too bad, really. I'd like to see him as Cap for the next 10 years.

Evans has been very open about the fact that he suffers from anxiety and has difficulty handling the public aspects of promoting blockbuster studio movies. He was reluctant to take the role for that reason and because he didn't want the loss of privacy that comes from becoming well known. It's one of those situations where the work itself suits him fine, but all the crap that goes along with it is the problem. Most people can understand that very well.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #596
ObakeTora
Me llamo Tigre Fantasma!
 
ObakeTora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,408
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

One of the things I detested about the Avengers (don't get me wrong I loved it!) was the underuse of Captain America. (See image below).



It was this issue that made me a fan of Captain America for the very first time. I always thought he was just some weak mascot like Marvin and his wonder dog only there to lift the spirits of the other capable heroes, but when he pwned the controller using his combat acrobatics I was an instant fan, so much so, that same afternoon in 1987 I was doing backflips on Mrs. Johnsons trampoline for 6 straight hours! Why then did we only get one freakin flip in this movie? There were so many opportunities for some good flips but no, he just flails his arms in anticipation of hitting the ground. They should seriously think about applying the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon approach to Captain America as he could have made this movie rock harder than it already did. Yea, I think Steve needs a better agent.

ObakeTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #597
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.
 
Brian Braddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 13,467
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

I grew up with the classic Cap tale 'How to Tame a Tumbler' [in which Cap's arguably at his most acrobatic] but even I know that acrobatic flips alone do not a Captain America make.

__________________
Klaus Hergesheimer - checking radiation shields....
Brian Braddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #598
elizah72
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Evans has been very open about the fact that he suffers from anxiety and has difficulty handling the public aspects of promoting blockbuster studio movies. He was reluctant to take the role for that reason and because he didn't want the loss of privacy that comes from becoming well known. It's one of those situations where the work itself suits him fine, but all the crap that goes along with it is the problem. Most people can understand that very well.
Yes that is very undertandable, and too bad because he is so great in the part. It would be terrible to lose him. I felt so bad for the guy when I realized this.

elizah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #599
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 6,069
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

i'm sure he'll be around for a while

__________________
hi
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #600
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick
 
jaymes_e06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indiana unfortunately....
Posts: 15,163
Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Evans has been very open about the fact that he suffers from anxiety and has difficulty handling the public aspects of promoting blockbuster studio movies. He was reluctant to take the role for that reason and because he didn't want the loss of privacy that comes from becoming well known. It's one of those situations where the work itself suits him fine, but all the crap that goes along with it is the problem. Most people can understand that very well.
Yeah, he doesn't seem to relish the spotlight as much as Hemsworth or Downey.

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.