The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 10-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #76
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

Default Re: The Official 'I Still Love Ang Lee's Hulk' Thread - Part 1

Why is there a "page 4" button when there're only 3 pages?

When I first heard about the movie, I was thrilled, really looked forward to it, I love the Hulk and was really excited for the news. Seeing it in theater the first time I hated it, don't remember anything I initially liked about it other than being a Hulk movie. Hearing about a reboot starring Edward Norton was a thrill, when I saw the reboot I was so happy I saw a Hulk movie I loved and had fun watching, TIH still is my favorite Marvel movie

Viewed the Ang Lee movie a few times in this year, and it grew on me, it's one of those movies I came to appreciate more as I grew older, and even more as I delve more into Hulk's comics, Peter David's run in particular. If there is anything I disliked then and still dislike about the movie it is "The Madder Hulk Gets, the Larger He Becomes", not a fan of this size shift

David Banner is a blend of two characters, the father Brian Banner with his "I made you a monster, I have to kill you" motif, then being taking away, and Banner working under Ross for the military before Bruce grows. And then with his beard and the "They take everything from you" motif I find Maestro persona adapted. I like the depth shown in Hulk seeing him after Bruce hulks out his first time, then remembers as David holds his face, that short moment said enough about Hulk in his first time out

When Hulk was in the foam, and Glenn wanted to cut him and take a sample, Hulk anger enlarging him had a focus on his eye, it was designed as a Herb Trimpe drawn panel

He looks like a spider, he looks like a bug
We should all give him one big hug
Look out, oo hoo
Here comes the Spider-Man
Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:19 AM   #77
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Wow, what a blast from the past this thread is!

And yeah Spider-Aziz, I have been saying this for years but Hulk seems to be benefitting greatly from age and re-watches, I remember loving it when I first saw it anyway, but then when I got the DVD I couldnt stop watching the movie, it just grew and grew on me, and even now I still try and watch it at least once a year.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #78
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

I'm just here to say that this movie is still high up on my list. Of course the awesomeness of Avengers and TDKR may push it out of my top 5, but it's still in the elite comic movie category of my favorites.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #79
Airwings
Waves of air

I think Ang Lee did a terrific comic book film. It has drama, the casting as well as the acting performances are really good, it has an interesting story, it has a few great action sequences (hey, a film doesn't have to be packed with action to be good, right?).
Overall, the first Hulk film is quite serious. This really suits the character. Hulk isn't supposed to be a fun adventure, does he?

I also like the second film. The Incredible Hulk is a serious film too, but is has got more action as well. The darker elements that are within the two adaptions, makes Hulk a much better cinema character than Fantastic Four. But things can change when we get a F4 reboot that makes the characters justice. They need a more mature approach. Just sayin'

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #80
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
The Incredible Hulk is a serious film too, but is has got more action as well.
Not sure that is actually true. It has more Hulk vs. supervillain action, though.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #81
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
And yeah Spider-Aziz, I have been saying this for years but Hulk seems to be benefitting greatly from age and re-watches, I remember loving it when I first saw it anyway, but then when I got the DVD I couldnt stop watching the movie, it just grew and grew on me, and even now I still try and watch it at least once a year.
I think this will be my case as well at some point
Love the emotions on the face of this Hulk

Look out, oo hoo
Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #82
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Not sure that is actually true. It has more Hulk vs. supervillain action, though.
Its kind of a toss up, in my mind: well done action versus a boring supervillain, or poorly done action versus a good supervillain.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #83
A Necessary Evil
You're Afraid

Elfman's music was class

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #84
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

It always baffles me when TIH fans act like it was a giant success and Hulk was a giant failure. Two films with virtually the same box office gross and critical reaction, yet everyone turns a blind eye to TIH's failure or just blames it on Hulk.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #85
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
It always baffles me when TIH fans act like it was a giant success and Hulk was a giant failure. Two films with virtually the same box office gross and critical reaction, yet everyone turns a blind eye to TIH's failure or just blames it on Hulk.
It was just a better movie that's all

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #86
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
It was just a better movie that's all
A highly contestable point. Hulk 2004 had great flaws, but it also had great virtues.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #87
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
I think this will be my case as well at some point
Love the emotions on the face of this Hulk
Yeah, of the two Ang's was definately the more humane Hulk and you could easily tell what his Hulk was feeling in any given moment. I actually didnt mind Hulk having few lines in Ang's movie because his facial expressions told us what he was feeling anyway.

Damn, its been a while, will have to watch this movie again soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Same here, if Ang's Hulk effected anything with tIH (which I dont think it did) it would have been the opening weekend, if TIH was so good, WOM would have propelled it to better BO after returns after that, it didnt, hence the movie simply wasnt that good to have the masses telling others to go and see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
A highly contestable point. Hulk 2004 had great flaws, but it also had great virtues.
VERY contestable, for me, though I like both, Hulk is the much better movie.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 07-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #88
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

Man, I missed the 10th anniversary for this movie by a month. Wanted to resurface this thread at a more fitting time
Oh how time flies, and how I think I'm going to watch the movie celebrating it turning a month over 10 years

Look out, oo hoo
Old 07-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #89
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

It has been 10 years. I didn't realize that. I still love it just like when I first saw it. It's crazy this came out the same summer that I graduated high school. It doesn't feel like a blink, but it happened pretty fast. I have the DVD, but I thought about getting the steelbook blu-ray just because it looks cool as hell. If they came out with a 10th anniversary blu-ray I'd be on it.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #90
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

Wow, 10 years since my house burned down while I was at the premiere.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #91
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

You know what I find amusing? Ang Lee's film had Gen. Ross destroy a deserted military town without harming civilians. The Avenger's Fury didn't want to nuke Manhattan.

But the Man of Steel film has the U.S. military bomb Smallville while it was still populated.

Who's got the better military leaders, eh?

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #92
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Man, I missed the 10th anniversary for this movie by a month. Wanted to resurface this thread at a more fitting time
Oh how time flies, and how I think I'm going to watch the movie celebrating it turning a month over 10 years
Wow its been 10 years already? Crazy, I will be watching this very soon to celebrate, still love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
It has been 10 years. I didn't realize that. I still love it just like when I first saw it. It's crazy this came out the same summer that I graduated high school. It doesn't feel like a blink, but it happened pretty fast. I have the DVD, but I thought about getting the steelbook blu-ray just because it looks cool as hell. If they came out with a 10th anniversary blu-ray I'd be on it.
Hulk was one of the first movies I re-bought when I got a blu-ray player, it looks amazing on BD and I still love the hell out of it.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #93
A Necessary Evil
You're Afraid

I've been thinking about picking up the steelbook, but haven't because I already own the Bluray. Is there anything new on it worth double dipping?

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #94
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
You know what I find amusing? Ang Lee's film had Gen. Ross destroy a deserted military town without harming civilians. The Avenger's Fury didn't want to nuke Manhattan.

But the Man of Steel film has the U.S. military bomb Smallville while it was still populated.

Who's got the better military leaders, eh?
They used bullets in Man of Steel
Fury told his leaders not to nuke the city, they went ahead and did it

Look out, oo hoo
Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #95
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
They used bullets in Man of Steel
Fury told his leaders not to nuke the city, they went ahead and did it
And they failed with the nuke, thanks to the Avengers and Nick Fury. They have the better military leaders.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #96
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
And they failed with the nuke, thanks to the Avengers and Nick Fury. They have the better military leaders.
That nuke is one of two reasons I think Iron Man is the star of that film, the other is him stopping the hellicarrier from falling after Loki's minions attack

Look out, oo hoo
Old 07-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #97
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

Watching the movie right now, and for the first time I'm wondering what happened to Mrs. Krenzler? Why did they not show more of her? Is there an extended release with more on her?

Look out, oo hoo
Old 07-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #98
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

I don't think she was that important to the story, other than being someone for the audience to think was Bruce's mother. To add weight to the whole "repressed memories" thing.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #99
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

I like the use of the foster parents idea in the FX Phantom series more

Look out, oo hoo
Old 07-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #100
Obi-Ron