The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: Superman's power level

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,785
Default Superman's power level

I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on what Superman's power level should be in this new film.

As we all know, his power levels have differed vastly over the years, in all types of media. Silver-age Superman in some comics could move a planet, yet some other versions of Superman (Superman Returns for example) had him straining to control the weight of an aeroplane. There's a vast difference there.

But of course, that's just referencing raw strength. What about his other abilities?

  • How fast can he fly? In some versions he can surpass light speed, in others it's more like the speed of sound.
  • How powerful is his heat vision and super breath?
  • Can he survive in space? In some versions he can, in others he needed a suit for deep space travel.
  • How resistant is his body to injury? I've seen him survive a nuclear explosion unscathed in one comic, only for him to be stunned by a rocket from a helicopter in another.
Personally, I'd like to see a very powerful Superman. Whilst I'm all for 'humanising' him and not making him so powerful we can't relate ............. he is Superman after all; we expect him to be like a God, so why not take it to an extreme. He is the most iconic superhero of all, and widely revered as the most powerful. He can barely feel rounds of bullets pinging off his chest, so should a rocket be that much more damaging?

We also have a director in Zack Snyder who has a great flair for visual extravagance, and IMO that goes hand in hand with showcasing amazing powers.

__________________
I'm not saying I'm Batman. I'm just saying .......................... no-one has ever seen me and Batman in a room together.
elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,815
Default Re: Superman's power level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
When superman is that powerful as the examples above you have to play him as a god and the repercussions/guilt/emotions a man-god feels.

It was done quite well in all-star superman and red son but from what i'm hearing from MOS they want to ground superman so it seems they will take a different approach.
When Superman has that kind of power you have to match his power with power. Sometimes you need a god to fight a god and its like people seem to forget that Superman is a power power guy with Power power enemies. Watching Superman battle his enemies should be like watching an Unstoppable force conflicting with an Immovable object. You want to see with one gives first. That's where the excitement comes from.

__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Smallville13
Side-Kick
 
Smallville13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

I really don't see how Supes needs to be any more powerful than say in the Fleischer animations. The only thing I'd add to that is I like him being able to fly in space.

Supes is always as strong as the situation requires it seems but putting a number on it like they seem to be doing in the new 52 is just backing yourself into a corner later.

Morrison got away with it in All-Star cause it was a limited series and he solar overdosed allowing him to reach those silver-age strengths.

I definitely think he should be exerting himself when stopping trains and catching planes and whatnot. It adds to the excitement.

Smallville13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 5,965
Default Re: Superman's power level

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on what Superman's power level should be in this new film.

As we all know, his power levels have differed vastly over the years, in all types of media. Silver-age Superman in some comics could move a planet, yet some other versions of Superman (Superman Returns for example) had him straining to control the weight of an aeroplane. There's a vast difference there.

But of course, that's just referencing raw strength. What about his other abilities?

  • How fast can he fly? In some versions he can surpass light speed, in others it's more like the speed of sound.
  • How powerful is his heat vision and super breath?
  • Can he survive in space? In some versions he can, in others he needed a suit for deep space travel.
  • How resistant is his body to injury? I've seen him survive a nuclear explosion unscathed in one comic, only for him to be stunned by a rocket from a helicopter in another.
Personally, I'd like to see a very powerful Superman. Whilst I'm all for 'humanising' him and not making him so powerful we can't relate ............. he is Superman after all; we expect him to be like a God, so why not take it to an extreme. He is the most iconic superhero of all, and widely revered as the most powerful. He can barely feel rounds of bullets pinging off his chest, so should a rocket be that much more damaging?

We also have a director in Zack Snyder who has a great flair for visual extravagance, and IMO that goes hand in hand with showcasing amazing powers.
The reason to not take it to extremes is to win over people to whom "He is Superman" doesn't mean anything, or doesn't mean anything good. That's a lot of people. So keeping it 'in the pocket' as far as his power levels allows you to tell a story that people who don't already like Superman can enjoy. ie Snyder's stories about invincible characters don't go over well, no matter how much visual flair he gives to Sucker Punch and Watchmen.

To answer your points:
*He should be able to fly and multi-mach, keeping pace with the fastest jets, but not so fast that his speed can't be visualized on a screen but has to be reported in dialogue or narration or whatever.

*His heat vision should be a super laser, pretty much able to cut through anything. His cold breath should be similar, having a liquid nitrogen like effect.

*He should be able to survive in space, but still need to breathe, so it's like swimming, basically. He can hold his breath for several minutes at a time.

*He should be vulnerable enough that the American Military machine could conceivably take him down, either with a Nuke, or waves of tactical strikes with high powered missiles and/or experimental tech.

The funny thing is, all the live action incarnations have gotten it right. Only the cartoons put him too low and the old comics put him too high. But if you feel like "He is Superman after all" can make a billion dollars, can get people excited, by all means, make him a god.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Venomfan
Side-Kick
 
Venomfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,311
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

superman returns power level was perfect. if you make him like TAS it will get criticized. have you ever watched an episode with someone who would make up the general audience? they always comment on how hes so weak. the general audience expects him to be the strongest super hero

__________________
We're One, But We're Not The Same, We Get To Carry Each Other, Carry Each Other, One
Venomfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,756
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Honestly, he wasn't *that* weak in Superman TAS.

Anyway, I'd say the key benchmarks are:

1. His durability should not be so high that you need his vulnerabilities to conceivably threaten him, but not so low that ordinary military hardware could easily take him out. The former because its a plot problem if he's only ever challengeable by deus ex machine, the latter because it just looks bad if Superman can be knocked to the ground by a shoulder launched missile.

2. His superspeed should probably be excised from the powerset, beyond the most trivial level. Oh, not his ability to fly really fast, no, but his ability to take complicated actions at high speed. It just creates too many fridge logic problems.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Zionite1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,414
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Honestly for all the *****ing I think Byrne got the power levels right.I do agree that Superman shld loose Superspeed but it cld cause so much fan*****ng.Being Faster than a speeding bullet is a classic supes power

Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,868
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
Honestly for all the *****ing I think Byrne got the power levels right.I do agree that Superman shld loose Superspeed but it cld cause so much fan*****ng.Being Faster than a speeding bullet is a classic supes power
I think he should be faster than a speeding bullet in flight. Just not when he's running. That's the Flash's thing.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Daredevil, Ant-Man, Fantastic Four
2016: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Captain America 3, Doctor Strange, X-Men: Apocalypse, Sinister 6, Deadpool, Shazam(?), Gareth Edwards' Star Wars, Warcraft


Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
gkokujin
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: in a house
Posts: 2,445
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

that makes no sense. He can move/fly faster than a speeding bullet, but can't run as fast?

__________________
If you are offended, remain offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
gkokujin
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: in a house
Posts: 2,445
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I really don't see how Supes needs to be any more powerful than say in the Fleischer animations. The only thing I'd add to that is I like him being able to fly in space.

Supes is always as strong as the situation requires it seems but putting a number on it like they seem to be doing in the new 52 is just backing yourself into a corner later.

Morrison got away with it in All-Star cause it was a limited series and he solar overdosed allowing him to reach those silver-age strengths.

I definitely think he should be exerting himself when stopping trains and catching planes and whatnot. It adds to the excitement.
I can agree with this, as much as I don't want to.
If this is "realistic/grounded" take, he shouldn't be able to escape the atmosphere, but after an extended exposure (by the second or third film, or JL) he should be able to.

My only issue is in STAS he was beat up by EVERYTHING. Its why I didn't get into the show for years, because he was always getting beat up by anyone he faced.

I don't want that. I also don't want him punching lasers either.

__________________
If you are offended, remain offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,614
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I really don't see how Supes needs to be any more powerful than say in the Fleischer animations. The only thing I'd add to that is I like him being able to fly in space.

Supes is always as strong as the situation requires it seems but putting a number on it like they seem to be doing in the new 52 is just backing yourself into a corner later.

Morrison got away with it in All-Star cause it was a limited series and he solar overdosed allowing him to reach those silver-age strengths.

I definitely think he should be exerting himself when stopping trains and catching planes and whatnot. It adds to the excitement.
This coming from a guy who uses Smallvile as his member name. That series had a superman that did feats that were greater than those of the Fleisher tunes. Keep in mind that the Fleicher Superman was the character from the Golden Age who bascally started flying because leaping around was "silly looking" according to them.

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,614
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
I think he should be faster than a speeding bullet in flight. Just not when he's running. That's the Flash's thing.
Superman is faster than a speeding bullet (running and flying). He's just not faster than the Flash.

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #14
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,969
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

The Fleischer Superman was inconsistent too. Some cartoons he looked like he was flying and in others it looked like jumping. In the first cartoon (where he stops a building from tipping over and punches a laser) it's obviously flying, but in the one with the comet he's hopping around like a cartoon flea and every time he jumps up to hit the comet, he gets knocked all the way back to the ground.

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.
Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,868
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkokujin View Post
that makes no sense. He can move/fly faster than a speeding bullet, but can't run as fast?
How does it make no sense? He's not using his legs to fly. I never said I wanted him to move fast, either.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Daredevil, Ant-Man, Fantastic Four
2016: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Captain America 3, Doctor Strange, X-Men: Apocalypse, Sinister 6, Deadpool, Shazam(?), Gareth Edwards' Star Wars, Warcraft


Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
nogap87
Side-Kick
 
nogap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nocandoosville
Posts: 1,857
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Timm's Superman?

So for most of the trilogy Superman gets beat by everyone and their grandma but during the last fight in the third movie he makes some bull**** speech about how hard it is to contain his power and one-shots the villain.

No thanks.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #17
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,969
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogap87 View Post
Timm's Superman?

So for most of the trilogy Superman gets beat by everyone and their grandma but during the last fight in the third movie he makes some bull**** speech about how hard it is to contain his power and one-shots the villain.

No thanks.
And then the villain turns around and paralyses him with an "agony matrix" and Lex comes to the rescue. No thanks to that as well.

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.
Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
nogap87
Side-Kick
 
nogap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nocandoosville
Posts: 1,857
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
And then the villain turns around and paralyses him with an "agony matrix" and Lex comes to the rescue. No thanks to that as well.
Not gonna lie, my nerd rage reached its zenith when Batman gave all the villains a five minute head start.

I hate the JLU finale.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #19
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer
 
Quasimod0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,017
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Don't think superman should be able to lift the earth or anything like that. I liked his strength level in sperman returns actually

Quasimod0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #20
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,614
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Don't think superman should be able to lift the earth or anything like that. I liked his strength level in sperman returns actually
He raised a landmass/continent laced with kryptonite into space and tossed it out of the solar system in that film. That's pretty much in the same class as planet lifting (considering the K-factor).

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #21
The Shield
It's really Happening!
 
The Shield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,942
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Don't think superman should be able to lift the earth or anything like that. I liked his strength level in sperman returns actually
Which one? The Superman suffering from kryptonite poisoning that can lift continents? Or the perfectly healthy one that struggles to land a jet liner? (this was actually mentioned earlier but I'm curious)

__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. ~John Kenneth Galbraith

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #22
nocomics
Side-Kick
 
nocomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Somewhere not near you
Posts: 2,002
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
Which one? The Superman suffering from kryptonite poisoning that can lift continents? Or the perfectly healthy one that struggles to land a jet liner? (this was actually mentioned earlier but I'm curious)
I didn't think he struggled to land that jet liner, because of the weight it was more trying not to crush the darn thing when slowing it down.
I can see the SR level of strength being fine( I enjoyed the display of power by lifting the large landmass and struggling to do so), though it doesn't mean they have to show it. Far as 'vulnerability' I don't think I'd have a problem with the military doing some damage(stun, slowing him down), but not seriously hurt.
Flying fast yes, flying so he can change the rotation of the Earth; NO!!! Heat Vision, and Cold Breath, yes please long as used in right situation and not used just to show off CGI.
It doesn't matter what they do really some ppl just won't be happy with it no matter what.

nocomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #23
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,614
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocomics View Post
I didn't think he struggled to land that jet liner, because of the weight it was more trying not to crush the darn thing when slowing it down.
I can see the SR level of strength being fine( I enjoyed the display of power by lifting the large landmass and struggling to do so), though it doesn't mean they have to show it. Far as 'vulnerability' I don't think I'd have a problem with the military doing some damage(stun, slowing him down), but not seriously hurt.
Flying fast yes, flying so he can change the rotation of the Earth; NO!!! Heat Vision, and Cold Breath, yes please long as used in right situation and not used just to show off CGI.
It doesn't matter what they do really some ppl just won't be happy with it no matter what.
He only struggled with the landmass because it was laced with kryptonite. Even with that, he was able to toss it out of the solar system. Keep in mind that Bryan Singer's Superman = Richard Donner's Superman, which could turn back time and move the moon.

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #24
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,614
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

I just hope they make Superman stronger than this guy:


__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #25
Venomfan
Side-Kick
 
Venomfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,311
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Honestly, he wasn't *that* weak in Superman TAS.
i dunno i just watched one where he struggled to lift a bus

__________________
We're One, But We're Not The Same, We Get To Carry Each Other, Carry Each Other, One
Venomfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.