Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #976
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - Part 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
First time I hear this. Link or it didn't happen.
I'll google a bit. It was said around the time of SDCC. Basically they said the hope was that MOS would do well and they could launch JL off of it. It wasn't expressly said that Cavill would play both, but it was spoken about in the sense that MOS would be the starting point from which they begin their JL movie. It wasn't clear at the time whether they'd do other solo movies before or after, but it looks like now they'll do the other solo movies after.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #977
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
I'd rather see Brainiac and Darksied get an epic showing in JL2 & JL3 than have them solely in a MOS movie. They need to promote some lesser know villians for the MOS movies (like what nolan did with Scarecrow and Bane) and use the big boys for the JL.
Im kinda hoping they use The New Frontier as a basis and use Dinosaur Island w/ Starro as well.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 10-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #978
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
I'd rather see Brainiac and Darksied get an epic showing in JL2 & JL3 than have them solely in a MOS movie. They need to promote some lesser know villians for the MOS movies (like what nolan did with Scarecrow and Bane) and use the big boys for the JL.
I dont understand why they Branaic cant get an epic showin in MOS.Hes a Superman villain pimarily he should show up first in a Superman movie.Darkseid can be in the Justice league because he is a DCUniverse villain.
A justice league film should have justice league villains.An they are plenty,why o people keep sugesting Superman villains or the League villains.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #979
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I'm actually hoping that they're not successful in their attempt to launch to a JLA film any time soon. I've said it numerous times that there is no way that they'll be able to pull off a great film within the short time that they have.

Plus, unlike Marvel Studios, they're just making it for the money. No one really cares about a JLA film aside from it making money for them, which it won't.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #980
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I'm still really split about the whole JL-thing. I wouldnt mind seeing it made, but I really dont want them to just copy Avengers and have it backfire into yet another setback for WB/DC.

If MOS is the launchpad for the shared universe, then how would that come about? MOS seems to somewhat adapt the "reality" of the TDK-trilogy, but at the same time the planned Batman-reboot would likely stay clear of the Nolan-universe and that "reality". That doesnt make much sense to me, but I guess MOS will lay it out for us, IF Cavill is to be part of the JL-universe.

And I guess there would have to be at least one DC-movie out before JL other than just MOS. I read someone suggest a crossover with Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter, which I thought was a good idea instead of a plain solo-movie. Or it could be The Flash and WW.
But I guess we're not getting that formula since they're intent on doing the reverse thing to Marvel.

I dunno... I think I'd rather them leaving it alone alltogether. The shared universe that is, because something like KC or DC Universe Online could still be done and done as a great standalone thing with WB's darker tone.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #981
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

My one big fear is that by putting Superman in a shared universe, let alone one that hasn't really been plan out well, it'll diminish the quality of his own solo franchise and I've been waiting forever to see Superman done right in his own live action franchise for the longest time.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #982
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I agree so much it's retarded. That's why I'm glad MOS started production so long ago, and I trust that it will have its own life far away from the shared universe.

The sequels I'm afraid could suffer if JL happens and Cavill is part of it.

The shared universe is a potential killer for some of these characters imo. I cant really imagine putting WW or Flash into a MOS-movie would be a particularly good thing for Superman. Being an alien with powers is one thing, but adding superpowered humans and gods messes with that "reality" MOS is trying to adapt. It just enters a zone where it could turn really corny really fast.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #983
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Marvel Studios also made the Avengers to make money.

*\S/T*
Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #984
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I agree so much it's retarded. That's why I'm glad MOS started production so long ago, and I trust that it will have its own life far away from the shared universe.

The sequels I'm afraid could suffer if JL happens and Cavill is part of it.

The shared universe is a potential killer for some of these characters imo. I cant really imagine putting WW or Flash into a MOS-movie would be a particularly good thing for Superman. Being an alien with powers is one thing, but adding superpowered humans and gods messes with that "reality" MOS is trying to adapt. It just enters a zone where it could turn really corny really fast.
Agreed, and plus, given Superman's powers and that he's the type of hero that tackles nearly everything there is, the question is going to constantly be raised up on why the other earth based heroes don't simply call for his help if he's available.

Not to mention, having a shared universe limits the type of threat that not only Superman could/would face but everyone else as well in their solo films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Marvel Studios also made the Avengers to make money.
True, there's no doubt about it, But in Marvel's case, at least they had the fortune of having people who were actual comic book readers and fans of the source material as well. Warner Bros. isn't as fortune when it comes to that.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #985
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
True, there's no doubt about it, But in Marvel's case, at least they had the fortune of having people who were actual comic book readers and fans of the source material as well. Warner Bros. isn't as fortune when it comes to that.
But, that does not matter as long as the script stays close to the source material, director does not have to be a fan of the comics.

*\S/T*
Old 10-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #986
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
But, that does not matter as long as the script stays close to the source material, director does not have to be a fan of the comics.
Even if the script was created with the original intent of it being close to the actual source material, if the director doesn't actually care about the source material and wants to implement his or her own vision that greatly contradicts the core of the characters, then the film is bound to be ruined.

I mean, I think Nolan is a good example of having the right balance of respecting the material and yet interjecting his own creativity into it.

There are those like Burton for example who wouldn't care one bit about what the source material says since they're not fans of the character period and just want to do what they feel like.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #987
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
director does not have to be a fan of the comics.
Definitely agree there. Actually, it can be disadvantage to have the people involved be fans. They can be too bent on being too faithful or only wanting to do it a certain way.

Non-fans can have a fresh angle to it, and be up for putting a different spin on it trying to make it more than it was. But obviously, they have to respect the source-material.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #988
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

So do you guys still think it's possible that we may get an Entertainment Weekly or some type of magazine cover/article that gives out some new info and pictures for Man of Steel before the year is up?

Old 10-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #989
bonoferox
Side-Kick

Not sure. I don't think the EW for Superman Returns really had anything until early 2006.

It's doubtful that they would release any other press shots until the new trailer comes out, but it's a possibility.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #990
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
My one big fear is that by putting Superman in a shared universe, let alone one that hasn't really been plan out well, it'll diminish the quality of his own solo franchise and I've been waiting forever to see Superman done right in his own live action franchise for the longest time.
Agree so much. This is why I really have very little interest in any JL news... I think a part of me is hoping that if I just stick my head in the sand about it, it might just flop befor it ever gets going and I won't have to worry about it. I'll start actually worrying when casting happens

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #991
gkokujin
Side-Kick

so what has to happen is they need someone to be over ALL the movies as creative input like Whedon is after JL comes out?

so they gotta find a GREAT director. and I mean GREAT.

It would be nice if they pulled someone from japan for cinematography, but alas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #992
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkokujin View Post
so they gotta find a GREAT director. and I mean GREAT.

It would be nice if they pulled someone from japan for cinematography, but alas...
Depending on where they shoot JL, I say a UK or Canadian cinematographer is much more likely.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #993
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

At least they're not rushing the JL movie. We're nearly three years out from release. That's a good sign they're taking it seriously.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #994
X Knight
Saber Class

I just want them to keep Cavill as Supes in a JL film.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #995
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
So do you guys still think it's possible that we may get an Entertainment Weekly or some type of magazine cover/article that gives out some new info and pictures for Man of Steel before the year is up?
Positive thinking, but yes. I'm thinking December is the pefect time to reveal new MOS stuff.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #996
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
It seems that they are. If MOS is a big success, they'll want to keep him for both JL and MOS sequels.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #997
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
I thought that too. But the more I worry this film could turn out to be a trainwreck, the more I hope they keep Cavill and the MOS world seperate.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #998
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Being an alien with powers is one thing, but adding superpowered humans and gods messes with that "reality" MOS is trying to adapt. It just enters a zone where it could turn really epic really fast.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #999
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I thought that too. But the more I worry this film could turn out to be a trainwreck, the more I hope they keep Cavill and the MOS world seperate.
Yeah, let's be honest. WB doesn't have a great track record with their superhero films and, though they had a JL film in development before Avengers hit, this still feels like a mad rush money grab. Instead of investing the time in planning and building towards something as big as a multi-hero team up movie, WB just wants to get there as fast and easy as possible. That does not fill me with confidence in their ability to deliver a quality film. Not saying it's impossible, and doing the reverse of the Marvel approach (team movie to solo spinoffs) could possibly work, just saying that I don't have a good feeling about it.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #1000
Wheels
Encore! Encore!

I don't want two different verrsons of Superman under any circumstances. If Man of Steel is a success then Henry Cavill will have earned his spot as this generation's Superman.

The GA doesn't care enough about this stuff to follow the productions like we do. They won't get the separate universe thing unless JL is set in the future or is a period piece or something.

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Closed Thread