Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 02:02 AM   #26
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
But really female superheroes are difficult all around.
Female superheroes are awesome. Who needs men?

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
Old 10-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #27
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Well, hell, first there's the name. Wonder Woman? It's a terrible name. But really female superheroes are difficult all around. Particularly those that only wear red, white, blue and gold underwear. In order to have her make any sense whatsoever on film, you'd have to completely reimagine her character. But even then, I don't know what you could do with that name. I guess you could just call her Diana the entire movie and have her not actually be a superhero (similar to Black Widow).
Maybe you don't call it Wonder Woman Man of Steel and the Dark Knght are proof you don't need the heroes name in the title.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 10-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #28
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Well, hell, first there's the name. Wonder Woman? It's a terrible name. But really female superheroes are difficult all around. Particularly those that only wear red, white, blue and gold underwear. In order to have her make any sense whatsoever on film, you'd have to completely reimagine her character. But even then, I don't know what you could do with that name. I guess you could just call her Diana the entire movie and have her not actually be a superhero (similar to Black Widow).
I wholeheartedly agree. She's just a silly character altogether, at least when we're talking live action.
The MOS-universe does not need a female THOR. It would just bring the whole thing down credibility-wise.
An amazon warrior princess with ideals of love, peace, and sexual equality? Yep, that's what we need. Not that there's anything wring with those ideals, but come on...

The only way to do her is like you suggest, to completely reimagine the character, but then it wouldnt be WW anymore and then what's the point of including her.

But in order of avoiding JL turning into a sausage-fest you'd need a female character. I just dont know (or care) who it'd be.

Last edited by Rust; 10-20-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #29
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
I agree that there are some conceptual issues with Wonder Woman. But I donít think the name, itself, is a big problem. If her moniker sounded weird originally, itís become ďnormalizedĒ over 70 years of pop culture familiarity and ubiquity.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #30
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I'm not a Wonder Woman fan but I don't see Justice League without her

Old 10-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #31
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

It would be the stupidest idea ever, to have a JL film without Wonder Woman.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #32
Project862006
Banned User

no one makes fun of the wonder woman name to my knowledge

now aquaman and ant man those names get made fun of

WW is well respected among general audiences

Old 10-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #33
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Is she really? I mean outside of the US?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #34
Project862006
Banned User

thats all that matters

Old 10-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #35
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

All I needed to know...

Old 10-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #36
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
It would most likely come out in 2015, the same proposed year that Warner Bros. is trying to get the JL film off the ground. I honestly hope that they fail in doing so since I have no interest in seeing that film come together. Right now, a JL film could be a potential franchise killer for Supermanís potential film series.
Yeah I just can't see them bringing out both movies in the same year. So it feels like if JL comes out in 2015, we won't see an MOS sequel until a while after, if at all

Quote:
I am not even a big fan of Wonder Woman, but I totally disagree with what you're saying.

A female Superhero wearing red, white, blue and gold? Yeah that's impossible. That'd be like man in blue tights with red pants on the outside and a cape! Totally ridiculous!

... ahem...

As for the name, I really don't see why Wonder Woman is that much more ridiculous than Superman, Batman, Iron Man, Spider-man etc.

And thinking that her world or her principals would pull away from the 'tone' is even more mad to me. In the JL, we have such a mixture of heroes from all sorts of different backgrounds, and connections to all sorts of different worlds.

It's just a lack of imagination to think it can't be done.

Also, i'm not sure what you mean about female superheroes being hard to do all around...

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 10-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #37
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

That's it. You spelled it out for me. I'm now pretty much deadset against a JL-movie almost solely because of WW. She simply would not work onscreen if directly adapted from the CB.

Call me immature (I am), but I dont wanna se her face anywhere near Cavill's Superman unless they fix her.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #38
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I'm well psyched for Justice League, I feel lucky that I'm going to get my favourite superhero next year in his own film and my favourite comic book team in a film in 2015.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #39
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
That's it. You spelled it out for me. I'm now pretty much deadset against a JL-movie almost solely because of WW. She simply would not work onscreen if directly adapted from the CB.

Call me immature (I am), but I dont wanna se her face anywhere near Cavill's Superman unless they fix her.
Don't get me wrong. I don't want WW anywhere near Cavill's Superman, and I don't really wanna see this JL movie take form at all, let alone with Cavill.

But I just don't get what's so hard about WW, or what's so different about adapting her over various other superheroes.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 10-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #40
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Don't get me wrong. I don't want WW anywhere near Cavill's Superman, and I don't really wanna see this JL movie take form at all, let alone with Cavill.

But I just don't get what's so hard about WW, or what's so different about adapting her over various other superheroes.
Oh ok, I based my statement on a JL-movie with Cavill as Superman. Isnt that what they're doing? Setting JL in the same universe with the same "rules". Which in that case would make a character with WW's origin look really misplaced.

But if they'd do it in a non-shared universe far away from MOS, then yeah, let it all out JL-style. But it doesnt sound like that's what they're doing.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #41
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

An honest question, am I really the only person out there that DOES NOT want or care to see a JL film made?

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 10-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #42
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
An honest question, am I really the only person out there that DOES NOT want or care to see a JL film made?
Look at the quote in the post above yours. Or any topic in the Justice League section.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #43
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
No... that's what I literally just said.

Quote:
Oh ok, I based my statement on a JL-movie with Cavill as Superman. Isnt that what they're doing? Setting JL in the same universe with the same "rules". Which in that case would make a character with WW's origin look really misplaced.

But if they'd do it in a non-shared universe far away from MOS, then yeah, let it all out JL-style. But it doesnt sound like that's what they're doing.
1. It's not absolutely definite that MOS and JL will be connected. It's very probable, which is why i'm hoping JL just never gets off the ground. I want Superman to have his own good run of films. He deserves that.

BUT, if they HAVE to have Cavill, that doesn't make me suddenly want no WW in the film.

2. What is so much more misplaced about WW's origin in a JL movie than GL or MM? Seriously can somebody explain that to me?

*\S/T*
Old 10-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #44
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I see no problems with any of them. But I guess Superman, Green Lantern, and Martian Manhunter all sharing origins related to aliens is what makes that OK but Gods 'n dragons aren't? I dunno. All sounds good to me, and the people who bought Justice League books for the last 50 years.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #45
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Speaking for myself here, but I couldn't be any happier that we'll get to see the Justice League on the big screen. This last 10, 12 years have been a real treat for comic book fans. Sure, there were a few missteps *coughcoughgreenlanterncough*, but if someone had told me, 7 years ago, that I'd get to see the Avengers on the big screen, and that adaptations for JL, Masters of the Universe, were on the way, it would be unbelievable.
Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, hell yeah, bring it on!!! Who could say no to that?

Old 10-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #46
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Well, hell, first there's the name. Wonder Woman? It's a terrible name.
Hmmm....let's see.....superMAN, batMAN, aquaMAN, hawkMAN........and then wonderWOMAN.....yeah, I think I see the problem you are having.

Quote:
But really female superheroes are difficult all around.
Yep....they don't obey and actually try to leave the kitchen.....how rude of them.

Quote:
Particularly those that only wear red, white, blue and gold underwear.
Because no male superheroes wear garrish colors that are considered underwear.

Quote:
In order to have her make any sense whatsoever on film, you'd have to completely reimagine her character.
Yeah.....instead of fighting criminals, beating up men and monsters, or saving the world from alien invasion, she should be saving puppies and kittens from a flood, making a snack for Superman while he saves the world, or maybe heroicly comforting a child who scraped their knee.

Quote:
But even then, I don't know what you could do with that name.
Maybe wonderPERSON or maybe wonderI'MNOTREALLYTRYINGTOBEBETTERTHANAMAN.

Quote:
I guess you could just call her Diana the entire movie and have her not actually be a superhero (similar to Black Widow).
Yeah....because heaven forbid a female actually think she could stand beside the men and do what they do too.

Misogyny is alive and well at the Hype!

Old 10-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #47
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
I see no problems with any of them. But I guess Superman, Green Lantern, and Martian Manhunter all sharing origins related to aliens is what makes that OK but Gods 'n dragons aren't? I dunno. All sounds good to me, and the people who bought Justice League books for the last 50 years.
Yeah i'm just not getting it at all. Why is one fine, and the other makes it totally unrealistic?

Besides, like I said earlier, Thor didn't feel ridiculous next to all the other Avengers. Why would WW? Thor being a God from Asgard didn't upset the tone of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
Speaking for myself here, but I couldn't be any happier that we'll get to see the Justice League on the big screen. This last 10, 12 years have been a real treat for comic book fans. Sure, there were a few missteps *coughcoughgreenlanterncough*, but if someone had told me, 7 years ago, that I'd get to see the Avengers on the big screen, and that adaptations for JL, Masters of the Universe, were on the way, it would be unbelievable.
Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, hell yeah, bring it on!!! Who could say no to that?
As a fan of superhero films in general, i'd be pretty excited about a JL film

I just think, as a Superman fan specifically, the timing is all wrong. I wish a JL franchise could come after at least 2 Superman films, and with the new Batman franchise set up with one film, and maybe even a WW film in place.

I just wish they weren't rushing into this, and basically stomping all over the future of Superman's solo movie franchise... or at least, that's what it feels like to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Hmmm....let's see.....superMAN, batMAN, aquaMAN, hawkMAN........and then wonderWOMAN.....yeah, I think I see the problem you are having.

Yep....they don't obey and actually try to leave the kitchen.....how rude of them.

Because no male superheroes wear garrish colors that are considered underwear.

Yeah.....instead of fighting criminals, beating up men and monsters, or saving the world from alien invasion, she should be saving puppies and kittens from a flood, making a snack for Superman while he saves the world, or maybe heroicly comforting a child who scraped their knee.

Maybe wonderPERSON or maybe wonderI'MNOTREALLYTRYINGTOBEBETTERTHANAMAN.

Yeah....because heaven forbid a female actually think she could stand beside the men and do what they do too.

Misogyny is alive and well at the Hype!

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 10-20-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #48
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree. She's just a silly character altogether, at least when we're talking live action.
The MOS-universe does not need a female THOR. It would just bring the whole thing down credibility-wise.
An amazon warrior princess with ideals of love, peace, and sexual equality? Yep, that's what we need. Not that there's anything wring with those ideals, but come on...

The only way to do her is like you suggest, to completely reimagine the character, but then it wouldnt be WW anymore and then what's the point of including her.

But in order of avoiding JL turning into a sausage-fest you'd need a female character. I just dont know (or care) who it'd be.
Like I said...misogyny is alive and well here....keep them females out of our treehouse....they are to stand around looking pretty...not being equals.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #49
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Like I said...misogyny is alive and well here....keep them females out of our treehouse....they are to stand around looking pretty...not being equals.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #50
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post

As a fan of superhero films in general, i'd be pretty excited about a JL film

I just think, as a Superman fan specifically, the timing is all wrong. I wish a JL franchise could come after at least 2 Superman films, and with the new Batman franchise set up with one film, and maybe even a WW film in place.

I just wish they weren't rushing into this, and basically stomping all over the future of Superman's solo movie franchise... or at least, that's what it feels like to me.
Well, yeah, that is true. Studios are all about business, we all know that, but I think that lately they're starting to pay a little bit more attention to the fanbase and respecting the legacy and the history of this characters. The Green Lantern thing was a big wake up call for them, I believe. They have to start treating this characters with more respect, and I think, from what we've seen so far, that Man of Steel is a step in the right direction.

Closed Thread