Old 10-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #1001
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
I dissagree with all of this.

TDKR is a great film. The only hate its received comes directly from the fanboy community - not the critics circle.

And I wouldn't give Avengers anything. It did nothing for the genre. Its a recipe for how to make boat loads of cash at best. Poor cinematography, post-converted 3D, generic plot...I enjoyed it as a Whedon fan & a Marvel fan. Its not on my top 10 list this year.

TDKR is a spectacle for the thinking man.

For those here unfamiliar with David Lean, please watch some of his films, films that inspired Nolan to helm this gargantuan undertaking. THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI & LAWRENCE OF ARABIA both won Best Picture while DOCTOR ZHIVAGO & A PASSAGE TO INDIA were both nominated for Best Picture.

TDKR in storytelling, performances, direction & scope is right alongside them. In visuals it surpasses them.
All of this is irrelevant if the script doesn't work, and the 3rd act of TDKR has many problems. Also, I think this film was too interested in making a pro-establishment message, that it made the people of Gotham look bad. All the people of Gotham, despite knowing there was a bomb, bend to Bane's will, enforce his rule, and act as sheep. The only people who fight him are the good old establishment (cops, etc). The people did nothing in the revolt against Bane, and IMO, I think it made the entire trilogy's point about the PEOPLE taking back their city moot. The people didn't take back the city in their darkest hour: cops did. Not even with the civilian help. This isn't even to mention all the story issues with the twist, the public's knowledge of the bomb, why the bad guys were so willing to die, etc. The film just raised too many questions, and this is why it isn't getting the buzz TDK did.

Visually, the film is amazing. Conceptually (aka, the story/plot), it is very weak. This is why I don't feel it warrants a major award.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #1002
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
The only people who fight him are the good old establishment (cops, etc). The people did nothing in the revolt against Bane, and IMO, I think it made the entire trilogy's point about the PEOPLE taking back their city moot. The people didn't take back the city in their darkest hour: cops did. Not even with the civilian help.
I didn't have a problem with the cops taking back the city. There was still a payoff there. It was full circle, we start with a corrupt police force in BB, to a more effective but still lingering police force in TDK, but by the end of TDKR they are defending Gotham alongside the Batman. Cops are people too. Who were the biggest heroes on 9/11? Cops and firefighters who inspired an entire country.

TDK showed that Batman didn't want civilians literally physically fighting when they're not qualified for it. Now, I wouldn't have had a problem with some tougher civilians entering the battle but I think from a visual standpoint it helped reinforce the war theme better to have all the police in their uniforms vs. the mercenaries in their wardrobe.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 10-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #1003
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread Here

Closed Thread