The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #101
ironic username
Banned User

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
Matter of semantics, and it wasn't the crux of his post. The categorically classic Superman design is in fact gone. I never meant to argue that Superman was replaced with something entirely different just because of a suit change. When I specified as such "the real Superman" in a previous post I meant it as a matter of hyperbole.
seriously, get help.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #102
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironic username View Post
seriously, get help.
Seriously, you're banned.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #103
Super Kal
Side-Kick

you know, still looking at the new suit, maybe it's because of the lack of trunks and the amount of muscle definition they put into it that throws me off a bit...

in no way am i saying that showing muscle definition on Superman is a bad thing to do... i personally, however, dont like in the comics how the artists constantly over-accentuate the muscles, and make Superman look like a steroid-bound freak who couldn't even brush his teeth if he tried. i like the realistic look for Superman, and the thing is, concerning Superman, is that you dont need to exaggerate the muscles in order to show how powerful he is.

I've always thought that Superman did not have a more massive muscular structure, but a more dense muscular structure. that way Superman can still be strong without looking like a body builder. I guess that's what i'm looking for in Superman these days *shrugs*

Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #104
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
you know, still looking at the new suit, maybe it's because of the lack of trunks and the amount of muscle definition they put into it that throws me off a bit...

in no way am i saying that showing muscle definition on Superman is a bad thing to do... i personally, however, dont like in the comics how the artists constantly over-accentuate the muscles, and make Superman look like a steroid-bound freak who couldn't even brush his teeth if he tried. i like the realistic look for Superman, and the thing is, concerning Superman, is that you dont need to exaggerate the muscles in order to show how powerful he is.

I've always thought that Superman did not have a more massive muscular structure, but a more dense muscular structure. that way Superman can still be strong without looking like a body builder. I guess that's what i'm looking for in Superman these days *shrugs*
I hear you. There was a time when I was a kid where I loved Ed McGuinness' Superman -- silly children. Now, I prefer a more slender Man of Steel that is more along the lines of Gary Frank.

That being said, I don't mind if he is large like Tim Sale's or Frank Quitely's but as long has he is not large and ripped.

I do like what Man of Steel has done to the suit in terms of the musculature though. In past films he's looked a little thin or doughy whereas now he looks powerful. Also, as pictures of Cavill confirm, the muscle suit isn't too far off from reality.

Last edited by Krumm; 10-24-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #105
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I'm fine with the costume. I think it looks great. Very "out of this world" While keeping the character more human creates a fantastic contrast.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #106
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
I hear you. There was a time when I was a kid where I loved Ed McGuinness' Superman -- silly children. Now, I prefer a more slender Man of Steel that is more along the lines of Gary Frank.

That being said, I don't mind if he is large like Tim Sale's or Frank Quitely's but as long has he is not large and ripped.

I do like what Man of Steel has done to the suit in terms of the musculature though. In past films he's looked a little thin or doughy whereas now he looks powerful. Aslo, as pictures of Cavill confirm, the muscle suit isn't too far off from reality.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #107
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

Should Superman's musculature even matter? He doesn't need muscles to be super-strong.

edit: Hey, who took my picture?

Last edited by spidermanJLA!~; 10-24-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #108
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanJLA!~ View Post
Should Superman's musculature even matter? He doesn't need muscles to be super-strong.

I've heard that point raised before. It's an interesting one I'd like to see explored more but I think from a purely visual perspective, Superman should have a somewhat commanding stature.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #109
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:

Exactly. That's why I prefer him to be more slender in the comics and not like the McGuinness photo you posted.

On the flip-side, film is a different medium and I think requires different tactics to sell the character. In that instance, I think the muscles help. And since the character is being presented by a person and not an artist's pencil, then the likelihood of the muscles being overdone is low.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #110
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

Quote:
I've heard that point raised before. It's an interesting one I'd like to see explored more but I think from a purely visual perspective, Superman should have a somewhat commanding stature.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #111
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

So anyone getting this for Halloween? It's part of the big "morphsuit" fad. I would just cut off the gloves, take off the hood, and draw red on the belt lines. The logo is great!

Old 10-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #112
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
So anyone getting this for Halloween? It's part of the big "morphsuit" fad. I would just cut off the gloves, take off the hood, and draw red on the belt lines. The logo is great!

I saw that the other day. I think the shield is great. It avoids the awful black lines.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #113
Super Kal
Side-Kick

lol, im laughing, but i kinda like it

Old 10-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #114
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

That is so bizarre looking... what the hell is a morphsuit? Is that what these kids are wearing these days

Old 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #115
Smegger56
The Smegginator

I really like the suit now. I've really grown to no longer care the trunks are gone. I do still wish there was something like a red belt or something to break up the blue, but still really REALLY good costume

Old 10-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #116
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
That is so bizarre looking... what the hell is a morphsuit? Is that what these kids are wearing these days
I looked it up. Seems like some fetish.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #117
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Those things are worse then clowns lol They creep me out!

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 10-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #118
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

They're like spandex gimps.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #119
Mindreaper21
Side-Kick

GREENMAN!

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #120
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

His butt is on backwards.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #121
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Gonna toss this out there for fresh opinion.

In trying to re-inject some of the classic qualities of the suit without going all the way back to the trunks design, what would you guys think of this design?

Old 10-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #122
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:

In trying to re-inject some of the classic qualities of the suit without going all the way back to the trunks design, what would you guys think of this design?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I feel like I've seen something similar on here before but I'm not 100%.

Regardless, I always like the red additions to the side of the suit despite being a fan of the MOS suit as is. I guess I just enjoy interpretations.

In this instance, however, I feel the red rides a little high. It comes up and into his lats and kills that great line. I'm not sure how noticeable that would be on an human like Cavill, but for a drawing I find it to be more of an issue.

Otherwise,

Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #123
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:

I like your thoughts, but the red is too much and it's placed in such a way that it makes your addition look like a corset. Take some off from the upper part and it's gonna be much better.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #124
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Yeah, it's just needless imo. I used to think the blue needed a break-up with the trunks gone, but with all the fan mock-ups I see trying to compensate the original MOS-version is still the best solution. I guess the ornament is enough and appropriately discrete and doesnt draw attantion to the missing trunks or the croth-area in general.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #125
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Seriously, you're banned.
Best three words, ever. Well, four really, but you get what I mean.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
Closed Thread