Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Old 09-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #351
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: The Good, The Bad, and The Official Western Thread

This morning I watched -

THE TRACKERS (1971)

Starring Sammy Davis Jr, Ernest Borgnine, Julie Adams, and Jim Davis.

For those who weren't aware of it, Sammy Davis Jr was a giant fan of westerns. He was considered one of the fastest draws in Hollywood....and I remember seeing him on several talk shows in the 70's showing off his fancy gun skills. This TV movie was produced and co-wrote by him. At one time it was planned to be expanded into a theatrical release starring Sammy and John Wayne in the Ernest Borgnine part.

Rancher Sam Paxton (Borgnine) and his wife Dora (Julie Adams -Creature From the Black Lagoon, Bend of the River) are in town when they hear of a marauding band attacking a ranch close to theirs. They hurry home to find their son Davey (William Katt -The Greatest American Hero) dead and their daughter Becky (Connie Kreski -1969 Playboy Playmate of the year) carried off. The town sheriff (Jim Davis - "B" western movie star from the 50-60's) gets together a posse...but after finding nothing, and most of them giving up the search after the first day....Sam sends for help from an old Army buddy who is now a U.S Marshall in the area.

The old friend sends his deputy Ezekiel Smith (Sammy Davis Jr)....which doesn't sit too well with Sam or the posse (Sam is surprised that his old Army buddy - old Confederate Army buddy that is - would send a black man to help him). They tell him to leave, but Sam's wife steps in and says any help they can get is wanted by her.

It's a decent little western concerning people learning to respect another for what they do not for what they look like. An exchange between Davis and Borgnine in the middle of the movie really gets Borgnine's character to thinking -
Borgnine -"You don't know what it's like to have your son killed....nor your daughter carried off by murdering red savages!"
Davis -"No.....but I do know what it's like to see my pa lynched, and my mother raped and murdered by white savages."

The last time I saw this was when it was originally aired in '71....had been wanting to see it again ever since. Found it at K-Mart yesterday on a DVD paired with another Borgnine movie for $5. I recommend people go look for a copy.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #352
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Last weekend I watched -

BLACK FOX (1995)
Starring Christopher Reeve, Raoul Trujillo, and Tony Todd.

BLACK FOX: THE PRICE OF PEACE (1995)
Starring Christopher Reeve, Raoul Trujillo, and Tony Todd.

BLACK FOX: GOOD MEN AND BAD (1995)
Starring Christopher Reeve, Kim Coates, and Tony Todd.

There will be spoilers in here.....read at own risk.

The first one starts in West Texas in 1861. A couple of years earlier, ex South Carolina plantation owner Alan Johnson (Christopher Reeve) moved here with his wife Sarah (Nancy Sorel) and his "spiritual" brother Britt (Tony Todd), the slave he was raised with from childhood, and Britt's wife and son. When the Civil War starts, Union troops garrisoned nearby are moved off to protect more vital areas. This emboldens the local Indians, who start raiding and taking captives. When a bunch of local women and children, including Reeve's and Todd's families) are stolen....they launch a plan to send Todd into Indian territory to propose a trade of horses for the captives. They reason that the Indians will be more receptive to the black man than any whites that came into their area. Todd has to deal with several different tribes (the various tribes in the area had banned together for the raids, but have now split up and gone back to their own areas) the main Indian he works with is Running Dog (Raoul Trujillo)....and acquires from him the name "Black Fox". Through bartering, and one on one fights to the death, he manages to return the stolen families.

Overall, this and the other two movies are....OK. Not great, not terrible. Interesting at times, draggy at others. My main personal complaint starts right at the beginning. The three movies are called BLACK FOX....Tony Todd is Black Fox....but his name comes third in the billing in all three movies.

It is of interest to note that these movies, with lots of scenes of Chris Reeve galloping around on a horse, were made just before his tragic horse accident that left him paralyzed.

The second movie starts one year later. One of the captive women from the first movie had elected to stay with Running Dog instead of returning to her old mean abusive husband. It's taken a year, but he has now stirred up a group of men to go with him to Indian territory and get her back. The trouble is, he not just wants her back, but he wants to slaughter every Indian he runs into. Todd who has becomes friends with Running Dog talks Reeve into going off with him to warn and help the Indians.

The third movie moves ahead to 1865. The war is over. A wandering troublemaker (we later learn he is a wanted criminal) starts a fight with and gets beaten up by Todd. When he comes back later in the night for revenge, he instead shoots Reeve, wounding him, and kills Reeve's wife. As He recuperates, Reeves goes into a deep depression and starts drinking heavily. He eventually leaves his ranch and friends to go off on his own. After several bad drunken incidents...he decides to sober up and hunt down his wife's murderer. Meanwhile...when the Union troops return to the area, the Colonel in charge appoints Todd as Sheriff....and he figures his first order of business should be to bring in Reeve's wife's murderer also. Reeve's and Todd's separate searches eventually come together in time for justice to be served.

As I said earlier....these are not great movies...but they are interesting to watch for having a black actor in a major role in a western and for showing that blacks were more involved in the west than most movies or TV shows have shown....and for seeing Reeve in some of his final work before he was paralyzed.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #353
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

An update on the BLACK FOX series....I recently met Tony Todd at a convention and brought one of the DVD covers for him to sign (it was a horror convention, and that's what he is most famous for, but I am a western fan)....and he was brought to the verge of tears when I presented it to him....he said that making them was the best experience he ever had in the business. He told me about bringing his "auntie" (who had raised him like she was his mother) up to Canada to watch the filming, and about how happy she was to see him working on something like this with the people involved. He must have thanked me a dozen times for bringing it in and even walked over to some of the other celebs he had worked with who were there to show it to them.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #354
Figs
Banned User

That's a great pic!

I met Todd about 6 years ago, also at a horror convention of course. He's a pretty nice guy!

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #355
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

^ Cool pic and story, C. Lee

Laugh now, laugh later.

Last edited by gwynplaine; 10-26-2012 at 09:05 PM.
gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #356
bullets
bang bang

I hadn't even heard of the Black Fox films until now but that's a great story C.Lee.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #357
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Bump.
So where does Tarantino's "Django" sits in your list of favorite Westerns?
Even though I thought it was too long, I really liked it a lot and I dug the obvious love Tarantino has for the genre, but I'm not sure it makes my top 10.

Also if someone has seen the original "Django"? Is it worth checking out?

Laugh now, laugh later.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #358
Piper Maru
Side-Kick

One movie I really like is The Mercenary.

Piper Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #359
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I haven't seen the Tarantino movie.

The original DJANGO (1966) starring Franco Nero is pretty wild film. If you like spaghetti westerns, then you will like it. There were a hundred imitators after it came out that had nothing to do with it except his name in the title.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #360
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post

The original DJANGO (1966) starring Franco Nero is pretty wild film. If you like spaghetti westerns, then you will like it. There were a hundred imitators after it came out that had nothing to do with it except his name in the title.
Thanks, C.Lee.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #361
Holiday
'Bout that action

Speaking of Django Unchained, a couple of weeks before the movie had come out I had read an article somewhere online that mentioned westerns with similar themes. One was a television show from the 60's which had a black lawman and a white lawman teaming up. It only aired a couple of seasons at most from what I remember reading.

I watched a bit of it on YouTube but unfortunately didn't favorite it and now I can't remember the name of it. I've done some heavy searching on Google but no luck. Anyone here know what this show was?

Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #362
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Speaking of Django Unchained, a couple of weeks before the movie had come out I had read an article somewhere online that mentioned westerns with similar themes. One was a television show from the 60's which had a black lawman and a white lawman teaming up. It only aired a couple of seasons at most from what I remember reading.

I watched a bit of it on YouTube but unfortunately didn't favorite it and now I can't remember the name of it. I've done some heavy searching on Google but no luck. Anyone here know what this show was?
Yep, I used to watch it...The Outcasts (1968) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062596/

I remember it as a decent show....they were bounty hunters who spent as much time arguing and fighting each other as they spent hunting crooks. A couple of years ago I was hunting up a bunch of old shows like this on DVD....and as far as I can see, there are no complete sets out there.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #363
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:

On a slightly unrelated note I watched Die Hard 2 for the first time in years the other night and noticed Franco Nero was a villain in the film.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #364
Holiday
'Bout that action

Quote:
Yep, I used to watch it...The Outcasts (1968) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062596/

I remember it as a decent show....they were bounty hunters who spent as much time arguing and fighting each other as they spent hunting crooks. A couple of years ago I was hunting up a bunch of old shows like this on DVD....and as far as I can see, there are no complete sets out there.
Thanks, that's the one. I thought it was a cool idea for a show, and you don't see many black cowboys in film or television. Looks like some of the pilot is up on YouTube but not much else.

Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #365
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I meant to bump this thread a few weeks ago, has anyone here seen Five Card Stud? It's a very different type of western in that it's more a murder mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post
Bump.
So where does Tarantino's "Django" sits in your list of favorite Westerns?
Even though I thought it was too long, I really liked it a lot and I dug the obvious love Tarantino has for the genre, but I'm not sure it makes my top 10.
I really enjoyed it but Tarantino's movies feel like they only belong in lists about his movies to me.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #366
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I meant to bump this thread a few weeks ago, has anyone here seen Five Card Stud? It's a very different type of western in that it's more a murder mystery.
It's been a long time, but I remember it well. It's half western half Agatha Christie mystery. I have always been a Dean Martin and Robert Mitchum fan. It's also one of only a handful of Roddy McDowall western roles. I saw it at the theater when it originally ran, it's the first movie I remember seeing Yaphet Kotto in (about 5 years later he was the main villain in the Bond movie LIVE AND LET DIE).

Old 02-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #367
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

I watched Cat Ballou today. Solid flick and nice to know Kubrick borrowed a few frames from it for A Clockwork Orange.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #368
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

I just rewatched "My Name is Nobody" on Netflix. Still great. I've been a Terence Hill fan since I was a kid, especially in the Trinity films (Trinita in Europe), well most of them at least and his pairing with Bud Spencer, but I had forgotten what a great actor he truly was and how fantastic he is in "Nobody", totally on the same level as Hollywood and Western Legend Henri Fonda, and creating a kinda lighter, more comedic take on Eastwood's "Man with No Name" (Leone is producer and co-screenwriter and Morricone's soundtrack for the film is up there with his best work.) A great film for Italian Western aficionados or just Western and good films fans in general.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #369
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I love MY NAME IS NOBODY....lots of western movie character actors in it....crazy shootouts and fights....crazy humor.

Saw a strange one today...

THE CRY OF THE BLACK WOLF (1972) Swedish
Starring American Ron Ely (but his voice was dubbed in the version I saw)

Set in Alaska a little after the gold rush of the turn of the century...so there is more snow and trees than in most westerns.

Standard plot....all around nice guy Ely (he's polite to the prostitutes and buys candy for the towns orphan boy) just wants to be left alone with his dogs and the great outdoors....bad guys steals his dogs...bad guy winds up dead and Ely accused of it....bandit gang rides into town and takes it over...dead bad guy's sister rides into town and puts reward on Ely's head....only decent man for a hundred miles to save town is Ely.....fighting ensues.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #370
Piper Maru
Side-Kick

I just watched Clint Eastwood's classic western film High Plains Drifter. I don't watch that many westerns, but I was very impressed by it. Maybe some western movie buffs can recommend some other great films to watch?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #371
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Maru View Post
I just watched Clint Eastwood's classic western film High Plains Drifter. I don't watch that many westerns, but I was very impressed by it. Maybe some western movie buffs can recommend some other great films to watch?
Not sure I qualify as a Western buff (especially compared to C. Lee's great knowledge of the genre), but here are a few suggestions in no particular order and from different eras:

_ Rio Bravo
_ The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
_ The Outlaw Josey Wales
_ Ride the High Country
_ The Seven Magnificent
_ Unforgiven
_ The Man who shot Liberty Valance
_ The Searchers
_ Little Big Man
_ Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
_ Jeremiah Johnson

Many more great ones are recommended in this thread

Laugh now, laugh later.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #372
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

That's a darn good list to start with....try those piper.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #373
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quality list, I'll just throw in a few personal favourites.

Big Jake
Chisum
3:10 To Yuma
Cahill: US Marshal
The Shootist
The Wild Bunch
5 Card Stud
Pale Rider

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Last edited by Hunter Rider; 05-15-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #374
The Navigator
Punch Punch Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Maru View Post
Any western where Clint Easwood is wearing this:

The Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #375
Piper Maru
Side-Kick

Thanks for the lists guys, I'll definitely be checking those films out!