The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #276
NigelHalsey
Traveller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Elysian Fields
Posts: 214
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1



Gerard Butler - Aquaman
Green Lantern - Chris Pine
Superman - Henry Cavill
Wonder Woman - Kaya Scodelario
Batman - Michael Fassbender
The Flash - Bradley Cooper
Cyborg - Anthony Macky


Last edited by NigelHalsey; 10-28-2012 at 01:43 PM.
NigelHalsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #277
TheDarKnight720
A Watchful Protector
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 75
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelHalsey View Post


Gerard Butler - Aquaman
Green Lantern - Chris Pine
Superman - Henry Cavill
Wonder Woman - Kaya Scodelario
Batman - Michael Fassbender
The Flash - Bradley Cooper


I can see it.
Amazing cast fassbender would look amazing as batman.

TheDarKnight720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #278
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton
 
Young Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,505
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

I think Kimberley Crossman would make a good Wonder Girl{Cassie}.

__________________
Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul I swear: until my dream where dignity, honor, and justice becomes the reality we all share I'll never stop fighting. Ever - Superman
Young Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #279
Doomsheep
New User - Level 0
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Wall Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

There is one HUGE flaw in these castings. All the actors tend to look like Normal humans in the comics. Imagine for a second Pee Wee Herman going against Arnold's Terminator Or Conan the Barbarian.. who would win? Super Heroes in comics are at the PEAK of human condition. They look like Olympic Class Athletes, Professional bodybuilders or Pro Wrestlers not Cab Drivers or Drama Actors. Look at Actors in action films how many look like 90 lbs fit guy & gals NONE?

The One thing I've always liked about DC over marvel is Muscles = Strength. The more you have the stronger looking the character. Imagine for example Jim Gortdon lifting a locomotive & throwing it a mile away. No one would believe the character can do this based on his thin non muscular build however you take Brock Lesner & place him in the same scenario & it's more believable.

The women also look athletic & sexy no one would believe Olive Oil as Supergirl or Wonder Woman This is why the NBC pilot FAILED Palicki simply did NOT fill out the costume properly. Anne Hathaway however DID fill out the catwoman Costume & therefore was far more believable.

Remember folks they need to look like the character from the TOES up not just the NECK up.

Doomsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:50 AM   #280
ЯɘvlveR
danneB
 
ЯɘvlveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,612
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

too bad there isn't a way that people can bigger, like weightlifting or working out in general, because then alot of these choices would work, am i right?

__________________
All your data are belong to Braniac.

Last edited by ЯɘvlveR; 11-04-2012 at 04:00 AM.
ЯɘvlveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #281
The_Mighty_Thor
Stay thy hand troll!
 
The_Mighty_Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Beantown.
Posts: 6,850
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsheep View Post
There is one HUGE flaw in these castings. All the actors tend to look like Normal humans in the comics.
I'll take acting over biceps anyday!


Quote:
The women also look athletic & sexy no one would believe Olive Oil as Supergirl or Wonder Woman This is why the NBC pilot FAILED Palicki simply did NOT fill out the costume properly.
Ummm no! That failed because it was the most gawd awful thing ever made and it turned Wonder Woman into a ruthless vigilante killer.

Quote:
Remember folks they need to look like the character from the TOES up not just the NECK up.
Depends on which character you're talking about and what the costume design is. They can make realistic muscle suits that allow for fluid movement as long as they aren't trying to make the actor look too much bigger than he realy is. I'll still take acting over build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
too bad there isn't a way that people can bigger, like weightlifting or working out in general, because then alot of these choices would work, am i right?
Of course the flip side of this argument is that it takes years to build up any significant size with out roids. Most actors would age themselves out of the role before they could build themselves into it. Geting into shape and looking more cut is one thing, putting on some size over sevral months is possible but if they have to far to go it won't happen.

__________________
MY GOD CARRIES A HAMMER, YOURS WAS NAILED TO A CROSS! ANY QUESTIONS?
The_Mighty_Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #282
cin0
Atl's Finest
 
cin0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,054
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
too bad there isn't a way that people can bigger, like weightlifting or working out in general, because then alot of these choices would work, am i right?
qft

cin0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #283
Changeling
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nilbog
Posts: 3,978
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelHalsey View Post


Gerard Butler - Aquaman
Green Lantern - Chris Pine
Superman - Henry Cavill
Wonder Woman - Kaya Scodelario
Batman - Michael Fassbender
The Flash - Bradley Cooper
Cyborg - Anthony Macky
I love everything about this, I dunno your WW though. This is a great manip

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #284
ЯɘvlveR
danneB
 
ЯɘvlveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,612
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

yeah, kaya's too girly. chris pine looks awesome, as does fass and steve trevor, i mean bradley, not sure about butler though.

__________________
All your data are belong to Braniac.
ЯɘvlveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #285
ЯɘvlveR
danneB
 
ЯɘvlveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,612
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mighty_Thor View Post


Of course the flip side of this argument is that it takes years to build up any significant size with out roids. Most actors would age themselves out of the role before they could build themselves into it. Geting into shape and looking more cut is one thing, putting on some size over sevral months is possible but if they have to far to go it won't happen.
do we really want any of them looking like a bodybuilder though?

that's exactly the reason why you wouldn't want them to look like that. bodybuilders don't grow on trees, it would be pretty obvious, who's who.

__________________
All your data are belong to Braniac.
ЯɘvlveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #286
The_Mighty_Thor
Stay thy hand troll!
 
The_Mighty_Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Beantown.
Posts: 6,850
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
do we really want any of them looking like a bodybuilder though?

that's exactly the reason why you wouldn't want them to look like that. bodybuilders don't grow on trees, it would be pretty obvious, who's who.
Well yes and no. Heroes need to be bigger than the average guy and some heroes need to be bigger than the average hero. Still nobody said anything about becomming a body builder. It really depends on who you pick and who you want them to play. In some cases it could work and in some it wouldn't.

__________________
MY GOD CARRIES A HAMMER, YOURS WAS NAILED TO A CROSS! ANY QUESTIONS?
The_Mighty_Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #287
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip
 
Spider-Fan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,777
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Superman - Henry Cavill
Batman - Brian Presley
Green Lantern
(Kyle Rayne)- Jonathan Tucker
The Flash - Jon Foster
...

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #288
ЯɘvlveR
danneB
 
ЯɘvlveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,612
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mighty_Thor View Post
Still nobody said anything about becomming a body builder
the guy who started this conversation did.

__________________
All your data are belong to Braniac.
ЯɘvlveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #289
Sun_Down
Groovy
 
Sun_Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,965
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsheep View Post
There is one HUGE flaw in these castings. All the actors tend to look like Normal humans in the comics. Imagine for a second Pee Wee Herman going against Arnold's Terminator Or Conan the Barbarian.. who would win? Super Heroes in comics are at the PEAK of human condition. They look like Olympic Class Athletes, Professional bodybuilders or Pro Wrestlers not Cab Drivers or Drama Actors. Look at Actors in action films how many look like 90 lbs fit guy & gals NONE?

The One thing I've always liked about DC over marvel is Muscles = Strength. The more you have the stronger looking the character. Imagine for example Jim Gortdon lifting a locomotive & throwing it a mile away. No one would believe the character can do this based on his thin non muscular build however you take Brock Lesner & place him in the same scenario & it's more believable.

The women also look athletic & sexy no one would believe Olive Oil as Supergirl or Wonder Woman This is why the NBC pilot FAILED Palicki simply did NOT fill out the costume properly. Anne Hathaway however DID fill out the catwoman Costume & therefore was far more believable.

Remember folks they need to look like the character from the TOES up not just the NECK up.
I see this line of reasoning all the time and it baffles me. If you want bodybuilders who can't act, there are plenty of fanfilms out there for you. If you want Triple H playing Thor, you're just plain out of luck.

This line of reasoning basically reveals a preference for looks over talent. Yes, some wrestler might look more like Superman from the neck down, because all comic book characters are drawn with exaggerated proportions. But that doesn't mean he can play the character.

And your point about the WW pilot is completely off base. That show failed because it was bad, not because the lead actress didn't "fill out the costume" (which all photographic evidence contradicts, in any event).

And what superhero movies are you even watching? Did you miss Thor (Hemsworth), TDKR (Hardy), Batman Begins (Bale), X-Men 3 (Cudmore), Jackman in all iterations of Wolverine, Tom Jane as the Punisher, or Cavill in the MOS footage? Outside of maybe Brandon Routh, who has really come up short physically? If you really think the people just mentioned are "too small," you just have completely unrealistic expectations.

__________________
Itís the greatest gift we have - to bear their pain without breaking. And itís born from the most human power: hope.
Sun_Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #290
Sun_Down
Groovy
 
Sun_Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,965
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mighty_Thor View Post
Of course the flip side of this argument is that it takes years to build up any significant size with out roids. Most actors would age themselves out of the role before they could build themselves into it. Geting into shape and looking more cut is one thing, putting on some size over sevral months is possible but if they have to far to go it won't happen.
Bale put on 100 lbs. in like 12 months. It's not that hard when you've got good trainers and a work ethic. I'm fairly confident Bale didn't juice, he basically got back to his normal weight then added about 35 lbs. If you look at him in BB, he definitely doesn't have the roided look (super veiny), he looks like he has some body fat (not a gripe at all, btw, just further proof that the dude ate like a beast).

__________________
Itís the greatest gift we have - to bear their pain without breaking. And itís born from the most human power: hope.
Sun_Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #291
Edguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 477
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelHalsey View Post
Gerard Butler - Aquaman
Green Lantern - Chris Pine
Superman - Henry Cavill
Wonder Woman - Kaya Scodelario
Batman - Michael Fassbender
The Flash - Bradley Cooper
Cyborg - Anthony Macky
Casting Aquaman as Gerard Butler is an interesting choice.

Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #292
The_Mighty_Thor
Stay thy hand troll!
 
The_Mighty_Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Beantown.
Posts: 6,850
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Down View Post
Bale put on 100 lbs. in like 12 months. It's not that hard when you've got good trainers and a work ethic. I'm fairly confident Bale didn't juice, he basically got back to his normal weight then added about 35 lbs. If you look at him in BB, he definitely doesn't have the roided look (super veiny), he looks like he has some body fat (not a gripe at all, btw, just further proof that the dude ate like a beast).
Have you ever done it? I mean since you're telling us it's not that hard. I used to fight competitively and I gained weight to go up a weight class for a while and it is pretty damn hard to put on a substantial amount of weight over a fairly short period.

Bale gained a lot of weight but most of it was fat and he trimmed it off before filming. He didn't add 100lbs of muscle in a year. You couldn't even do that with roids.

When you've dieted and lost weight your body wants to get back to it's natural weight. That happens effortlessly and quickly. So basically he put on 35 pounds in a year and that wasn't all muscle.

Roids don't give you a veiny look. They don't give you any specific look. It's a combination of roids, diet and a specific work out routine that makes you look that way. Even the body builders only look really cut and veiny when they peek for a competition. They don't look like that year round but most of them are on the roids year round.

I'm not sure if Bale had any help putting on his weight but in reality he didn't gain that much muscle. Typically 10 -15 pounds is a tough goal for a years time but some poeple blessed with an endomorphic physic and having the perfect work out routine and diet right from the beggining could add more.

__________________
MY GOD CARRIES A HAMMER, YOURS WAS NAILED TO A CROSS! ANY QUESTIONS?
The_Mighty_Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #293
Sun_Down
Groovy
 
Sun_Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,965
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mighty_Thor View Post
Have you ever done it? I mean since you're telling us it's not that hard. I used to fight competitively and I gained weight to go up a weight class for a while and it is pretty damn hard to put on a substantial amount of weight over a fairly short period.

Bale gained a lot of weight but most of it was fat and he trimmed it off before filming. He didn't add 100lbs of muscle in a year. You couldn't even do that with roids.

When you've dieted and lost weight your body wants to get back to it's natural weight. That happens effortlessly and quickly. So basically he put on 35 pounds in a year and that wasn't all muscle.

Roids don't give you a veiny look. They don't give you any specific look. It's a combination of roids, diet and a specific work out routine that makes you look that way. Even the body builders only look really cut and veiny when they peek for a competition. They don't look like that year round but most of them are on the roids year round.

I'm not sure if Bale had any help putting on his weight but in reality he didn't gain that much muscle. Typically 10 -15 pounds is a tough goal for a years time but some poeple blessed with an endomorphic physic and having the perfect work out routine and diet right from the beggining could add more.
I've gained 30 lbs. in about 6 months, going from 150 to 180 lbs. And that was with full-time school and a job, and no personal trainer. So yeah, 100 lbs. in 12 months with the best food, training and supplements money can buy is not that hard.

Also note that I mentioned he really only added about 35 lbs. to his natural frame of about 185 lbs. So I don't really know who you're arguing with on that point, because it's clearly not me.

You're experience of fighting is not comparable. I'm sure you had to keep your body fat down, something which actors in superhero movies don't necessarily have to do (i.e. Bale in BB). They'll mostly be in costumes where mass is valued over definition. Even if they need to do a shirtless scene, they can cut during production and do those shots on the back end of shooting.

Also never said he gained 100 lbs. of muscle, just 100 lbs. Again, not sure who you're arguing with.

The post of this (which I fear we've veered from), is that the argument for wrestlers/bodybuilders for superhero roles is silly for a number of reasons. One of which is that actors are more than capable of being "big enough" for such roles, and I used Bale as an example in response to another poster's point that it would take too long for a normal actor to add sufficient mass.

__________________
Itís the greatest gift we have - to bear their pain without breaking. And itís born from the most human power: hope.
Sun_Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #294
ЯɘvlveR
danneB
 
ЯɘvlveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,612
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

i remember reading a quote somewhere from bryan singer in which he said, that if he could have done returns again, he would have chosen nicholas hoult to play clark.

then i saw this picture and i thought about bizarro.


__________________
All your data are belong to Braniac.
ЯɘvlveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #295
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed
 
NewYorkSpider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 23,430
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

I like the idea of Chris Pine as Green Lantern. I always thought he would make a good Johnny Storm in a FF reboot as well.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #296
phoenixflight
Amazing Amazon
 
phoenixflight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Themyscira, by way of Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,614
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Here is my JLA if I were basing my casting soley on HEIGHT and PHYSICAL APPEARANCE:








__________________
We are the Amazons...and we have come to save Mankind.
phoenixflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #297
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.
 
The Question's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hub City
Posts: 39,174
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

I think Will Smith would have made a really good Superman. Am I alone in thinking this?

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #298
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!
 
aNarcHy2day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: India
Posts: 1,204
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
I think Will Smith would have made a really good Superman. Am I alone in thinking this?
No disrespect... but I sure hope so!

__________________
THE JUSTICE LEAGUE

Batman- Ben Affleck, 41
Superman- Henry Cavill, 29
Wonder Woman- Gal Gadot, 28
The Flash- Jake Gyllenhaal, 31
Green Lantern- Ryan Reynolds, 36; Idris Elba, 40
and
Vandal Savage- Javier Bardem, 43
aNarcHy2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #299
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 5,965
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Down View Post
I've gained 30 lbs. in about 6 months, going from 150 to 180 lbs. And that was with full-time school and a job, and no personal trainer. So yeah, 100 lbs. in 12 months with the best food, training and supplements money can buy is not that hard.
That's assuming its as easy to gain the 1st pound as it is the 99th pound, or that the details you mentioned do some of the work for you. Yes, actors can put on some weight, but that "100 pounds is easy" comment was really weird. Also, actors often don't put on weight, or take a year so, because it doesn't work with the projects they do before or after their superhero roles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
I think Will Smith would have made a really good Superman. Am I alone in thinking this?
You are not. He knows it too, but even he's not willing to make Superman black, but even the half baked Hancock we got trumps Brandon Routh and Bryan Singer easily.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."

Last edited by DrCosmic; 12-11-2012 at 04:51 PM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #300
Thwip!
Side-Kick
 
Thwip!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Carlow, Ireland
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: Casting the DC Universe - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixflight View Post
Here is my JLA if I were basing my casting soley on HEIGHT and PHYSICAL APPEARANCE:







I see yours and raise you mine based purely on who would make the movie a must see for me


__________________
My Deviantart
Thwip! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.