The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #126
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,792
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
Batman punches Bane quite a few times in the face during their first fight, but anytime he's about to get in a good shot Bane stops him. A good example of this is when Batman's got Bane on the ground.
This!

During the first fight, Batman attacks Bane with a flurry of well placed shots, then goes to punch him in the face and Bane catches both punches, and tells him how victory has defeated him.

The same exchange happens during the middle of their second fight, except this time Batman actually over powers Bane when he catches his punch. He then breaks loose of Bane's grip and uppercuts him in the face, hitting the mask.

Come on guys, pay attention!

JackWhite is online now  
Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #127
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Okay, but that's just paying lip service to the idea. They blew up a planet in ANH, we never see any destruction on that scale in ROTJ. TDKR takes it further, brings the villain closer to victory, in fact the villain pretty much wins halfway through the movie.
They practically wipe out the Rebel forces in Jedi. It's basically the Ewoks that save them. You're just flat out wrong in your assertion that the Empire was weaker in Jedi than they were in a New Hope. The odds were far greater. That was the Rebelions last shot against the Empire. Had they failed in Jedi they're wouldn't be a second shot. It's plain about this throughout the whole film. They hardly just payed it lip service.


Last edited by Optimus_Prime_; 10-26-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Optimus_Prime_ is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #128
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,792
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Okay, but that's just paying lip service to the idea. They blew up a planet in ANH, we never see any destruction on that scale in ROTJ. TDKR takes it further, brings the villain closer to victory, in fact the villain pretty much wins halfway through the movie.
TDKR is miles ahead of ROTJ when it comes to being a more solid and satisfying film, IMHO.

Sure, I didn't want LOS version 2.0, but I give Nolan props for differentiating Bane/Talia's League as a more extreme, gun touting, militant rag-tag group rather than Ra's' more refined, jujitsu-based Eco-terrorists.

JackWhite is online now  
Old 10-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #129
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
The Dark Knight Rises reminds me a lot of Godfather 3 because Godfather 3 isn't really a bad movie, just clearly inferior to it's predecessors.
The Dark Knight Rises reminds me of Return of the King in that it's a brilliant ending to a magnificent trilogy

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #130
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
TDKR is miles ahead of ROTJ when it comes to being a more solid and satisfying film, IMHO.

Sure, I didn't want LOS version 2.0, but I give Nolan props for differentiating Bane/Talia's League as a more extreme, gun touting, militant rag-tag group rather than Ra's' more refined, jujitsu-based Eco-terrorists.
And that's the thing. Talia and Bane did NOT want to have the LoS version 2.0. Talia only wanted to do what her father couldn't and to destroy Gotham while Talia and Bane had much different ways of doing such without the same "morals" and "ideals" that Ra's al Ghul's League of Shadows had.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #131
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
The Dark Knight Rises reminds me of Return of the King in that it's a brilliant ending to a magnificent trilogy
No.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #132
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,711
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
The practically wipe out the Rebel forces in Jedi. It's basically the Ewoks that save them. You're just flat out wrong in your assertion that the Empire was weaker in Jedi than they were in a New Hope. The odds were far greater. That was the Rebelions last shot against the Empire. Had they failed in Jedi they're wouldn't be a second shot. It's plain about this throughout the whole film. They hardly just payed it lip service.
Okay, I get all that. What I'm trying to say is this sense of danger wasn't conveyed other than through dialogue and exposition, to me. The Rebellion knew this was there big chance, because the Empire had a glaring weakness in that the rebels knew the Emperor was going to be aboard the Death Star. There's some hope there, so it feels more even keel. TDKR pummels you with hopelessness, and I think that's how it should be in an epic conclusion. It actually felt like evil was stronger than ever because you saw the bad guys accomplishing things the bad guys in the previous movies didn't even scratch the surface of. It was more visceral to me.

Anyway, that's not what we were arguing in the first place, we were talking about bringing back plot devices from movie 1. And to me TDKR beats ROTJ in that regard by more thoroughly differentiating itself than simply saying "this Death Star is stronger" but doing nothing cinematically to really make us believe that. We don't even know that it's operational until the end of the movie. TDKR has a whole character (Bane) to represent that this incarnation of the LOS is different, more brutal, more militant, more extreme.

Mind you, I'm still quite fond of ROTJ. I just like TDKR more.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 10-26-2012 at 03:20 PM.
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #133
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
No.
No it doesn't remind me of ROTK?

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #134
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,494
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
The Dark Knight Rises reminds me a lot of Godfather 3 because Godfather 3 isn't really a bad movie, just clearly inferior to it's predecessors.
No.

Alexei Belyakov is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #135
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,701
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
No.
I agree. Rotk is a snoozefest.

Rises is unprecedented . Much better than its predecessors

Tequilla is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #136
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 22,426
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

ROTK is a typical PJ movie: bloated in places, contracted in others, with a pace as satisfying as getting stuck behind the dinky village-to-village train when you caught the no-stops cross-country service.

__________________
Difficult, difficult, lemon-difficult.
regwec is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #137
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In the neighborhood!
Posts: 38,884
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
That's your opinion buddy.
Yes it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
The Dark Knight Rises reminds me a lot of Godfather 3 because Godfather 3 isn't really a bad movie, just clearly inferior to it's predecessors.
I agree with this, and another thing they have in common (for me_ I also believe that Godfather III didn't deserve a nomination. It only got that nomination because of the Godfather brand name. I don't thik TDKR will get that benefit since it didn't follow 2 BP winners.

Spider-Fan is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #138
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,711
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

It'll be an interesting morning when the Oscar nominees are announced. I really have no idea if it'll get it or not. I'm leaning no, but then again I was leaning yes with TDK and then...the snub heard round the world.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #139
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now
 
CapedCrusader14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,385
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
ROTK is a typical PJ movie: bloated in places, contracted in others, with a pace as satisfying as getting stuck behind the dinky village-to-village train when you caught the no-stops cross-country service.

__________________
"Ladies. Gentlemen. You have eaten well. You've eaten Gotham's wealth. Its spirit. Your feast is nearly over. From this moment on -- none of you are safe."

75 Years of the Batman - Happy Anniversary to my Hero
CapedCrusader14 is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #140
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In the neighborhood!
Posts: 38,884
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
It'll be an interesting morning when the Oscar nominees are announced. I really have no idea if it'll get it or not. I'm leaning no, but then again I was leaning yes with TDK and then...the snub heard round the world.
Though TDK got snubbed big time, I do hate the 10 BP Noms format they adopted. For me, it makes a BP nomination less valuable. Especially when most of those are appeasement spots.

I am leaning toward no with TDKR for a BP nom as well. So far, I don't think the buzz is there, and I feel with more buzz, it prob would have gotten a nomination since they expanded to 10 films, so it would have an easier time doing it than TDK did with only 5 nominations available to compete with. But, that buzz just doesn't seem to be there.

Spider-Fan is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #141
TheBat812
Side-Kick
 
TheBat812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,033
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

What's stupid to me is that it's 'up to ten' films. As if those top choices are universally better than every other piece of cinema around the world... If you're going to do that, at least include foreigns in there or something.

__________________
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." - Aristotle
TheBat812 is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #142
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 20,924
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Though TDK got snubbed big time, I do hate the 10 BP Noms format they adopted. For me, it makes a BP nomination less valuable. Especially when most of those are appeasement spots.

I am leaning toward no with TDKR for a BP nom as well. So far, I don't think the buzz is there, and I feel with more buzz, it prob would have gotten a nomination since they expanded to 10 films, so it would have an easier time doing it than TDK did with only 5 nominations available to compete with. But, that buzz just doesn't seem to be there.
It isn't there. And even if it does crack a nomination for Best Picture what exactly does that mean? Some fans are going to rejoice because they will see it repayment for TDK getting overlooked. But it's a hollow victory. What's the use of celebrating such a hollow victory? That's like being proud of beating a one legged man in a foot race. I also dislike the 10 nominations thing, it was a knee jerk reaction to TDK getting snubbed. The problem wasn't there weren't enough BP spots, the problem was the Academy members were only voting for certain types of films. I can still remember the look on the Academy President's face as the nomination where being read out, through a forced smile the look was that of a man who knew a **** storm that was about to comes their way. lol

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.

Last edited by jmc; 10-26-2012 at 05:59 PM.
jmc is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #143
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
I agree. Rotk is a snoozefest.
No..no it wasn't.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #144
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,146
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Funny how that video mentioned Godfather 3 and Jedi - now what do those films have in common again? Oh that's right, they are considered inferior to the first two films in the series. Clearly the results from these so called trilogy 'rules' speak for themselves.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
The Dark Knight Rises reminds me a lot of Godfather 3 because Godfather 3 isn't really a bad movie, just clearly inferior to it's predecessors.
Perfect analogy

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #145
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,711
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

The difference between Godfather 3 and The Dark Knight Rises is that virtually nobody would argue that Godfather 3 is the best of that trilogy.

With The Dark Knight Rises, you get a lot of everything. Some think it's the weakest, for others its equal with TDK, I think for most people it's the second best, and then there's still a plenty who consider it the best or their personal favorite. I think this definitely a "marathon" worthy trilogy.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #146
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

40% on the TDKR boards is saying it's a 10/10 on that one poll and there's another poll somewhere that even has TDKR as the better film of the trilogy. I highly doubt the same would be said if there was a poll on giving Godfather 3 a rating or if it was the best.

Like I said, TDKR is a polarizing film even with Batman fans, but a rather large chunk loves the film and would regard TDKR as the best of the three.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 10-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #147
Fudgie
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
The difference between Godfather 3 and The Dark Knight Rises is that virtually nobody would argue that Godfather 3 is the best of that trilogy.

With The Dark Knight Rises, you get a lot of everything. Some think it's the weakest, for others its equal with TDK, I think for most people it's the second best, and then there's still a plenty who consider it the best or their personal favorite. I think this definitely a "marathon" worthy trilogy.
Give it time. Rises ain't even out on DVD yet and it's already got Batman fans divided up. Time is not going to be kind to it me thinks.

In fact I bet by this time next year when people own it and have more time to watch it it will be universally seen as the worst one.

Yup, I think that's how it's gonna go down.

Fudgie is offline  
Old 10-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #148
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 20,924
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Give it time. Rises ain't even out on DVD yet and it's already got Batman fans divided up. Time is not going to be kind to it me thinks.

In fact I bet by this time next year when people own it and have more time to watch it it will be universally seen as the worst one.

Yup, I think that's how it's gonna go down.
That would not surprise me in the least.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline  
Old 10-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #149
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now
 
CapedCrusader14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,385
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

It's such a shame to me cause I feel it's the weakest but it has some of my favourite scenes in the trilogy.

CapedCrusader14 is offline  
Old 10-27-2012, 02:07 AM   #150
The Chris
TDK Trilogy Forever!
 
The Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Lower East Side of New York City.
Posts: 5,347
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
40% on the TDKR boards is saying it's a 10/10 on that one poll and there's another poll somewhere that even has TDKR as the better film of the trilogy. I highly doubt the same would be said if there was a poll on giving Godfather 3 a rating or if it was the best.

Like I said, TDKR is a polarizing film even with Batman fans, but a rather large chunk loves the film and would regard TDKR as the best of the three.
yeah and I dont think time will hurt tdkr. if anything time will help it and really outside of the internet tdkr isnt even all that polarizing. it still has people watching it at my job. plus most people would say godfather part 3 is by far the worst, while most people ive met and asked have said tdkr is at least their second best. in fact id say this trilogy is more evened out than most when it comes to that. a lot have said bb is their fave, a lot have said tdk and a lot have said tdkr, and thats fantastic. if I was forced to id probably say tdk is the best one, but tdkr is my favorite one, with bb being the best origin that ever lived!

__________________
1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
5. The Raid 2
The Chris is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.