The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #201
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: To Infinity and Beyond: The Thanos Thread

Ya i'm with ya. I just dont want thanos to get the shaft :P

Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #202
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Bump

given how the MCU is compared to the 616 universe so far, It's probably safe to say thanos will be scaled down a bit in power. But how scaled down do you think he will be compared to the rest of the mcu heroes and villains?

Do you think he will still be *that* much more powerful than them? What powers do you think he will still have in the MCU? How physically strong will he be? How smart will he be?

Though in the comics he is definitally stronger than your average Hulk, I think in terms of strength, he may be in between Thor and Hulk. But he very well may have some fighting skills (not sure why, i get that vibe looking at some of his concept art)
Thanos should be able to give Thor, Hulk and Iron Man a run for their money simultaneously, and that's without a cosmic cube or the infinity gauntlet.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #203
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

a run for their money? I would hope he should be able to take all 3 of them at once

Old 10-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #204
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Yeah, Thor hopped up on Warrior's Madness and the Power Gem was only able to pull even with Thanos, so regular Thor shouldn't stand a chance. I loved that scene in Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2 where Thanos is fighting both the Thing and Thor and he beats the crap out of both of them. A scene like that between regular Thanos versus Thor and the Hulk would be pretty sweet.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #205
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

The problem with these characters is that their power levels fluctuate so much. Usually for the sake of the story.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #206
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Thanos's really hasn't. He's always been depicted as being far above and beyond most heroes with his baseline power levels. Of course, it helps that most of his appearances have been handled by a single writer.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #207
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Ya. I wish he wrote him again

Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #208
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Bump. I don't really know where to put this, so I figured ths would be appropriate. Has anyone noticed that over the recent years in comics, Thanos has grew? Like size wise? He was hardly taller than thor, I know he is officially 6 foor 7. But now in some of his comics he looks like he is close to 10 feet tall lol.

He's gone from this, being around the same height as thor, like 6'7

To this lol where in the top right he's like...13 feet tall it seems lol

and right before the fight, in the same story he look like...7 feet again lol

then during annihilation, it was the same drax, and now, he towers over him in that lol

Old 01-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #209
SuperSAINT
Side-Kick

I love that final cover. Brilliant.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #210
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I'd like to see a Thanos who is roughly a head taller than Hemsworth.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #211
Rum Runner
Banned User

Thanos can manipulate matter and has complete control over his own molecules. He has travelled through dimensions that have had adverse effects on him, such as turning him to glass, melting him. Yet he just reforms through pure will. If we ignore the fact that it's probably just down to different artists interpretations, it's reasonable that Thanos can shape shift and change his size at will.

I'm interested to know how they will create him in live action. Total CGI like Hulk? Or the actor in make up and enhanced with CGI similar to the Frost Giants.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #212
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
Thanos can manipulate matter and has complete control over his own molecules. He has travelled through dimensions that have had adverse effects on him, such as turning him to glass, melting him. Yet he just reforms through pure will. If we ignore the fact that it's probably just down to different artists interpretations, it's reasonable that Thanos can shape shift and change his size at will.

I'm interested to know how they will create him in live action. Total CGI like Hulk? Or the actor in make up and enhanced with CGI similar to the Frost Giants.
The Avengers epilogue set the standard for Thanos, even if Damion Poitier isn't the one who winds up playing the Mad Titan in future installments. They used an actor in costume/prosthetics, so it'd be kind of jarring for them to decide to switch to a CGI Thanos for GOTG/Avengers 2.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #213
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I would love to see that final Annihilation cover re-created in the movie followed by an epic fight between Drax and Thanos, it would simply be one of the best moments in a comic book movie ever.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #214
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I know I am probably the select minority, but I have a very strong opinion that Thanos should NOT be just an actor in prosthetics and a bulky outfit. He should be like a head taller than Thor. which would be around 6 foot 7. We don't got a lot of actors that height. And not only that, but Thanos is a big guy. He's not hulk, but he should certainly be bulkier than MCU Thor.

For me, ideally, the best way to go for Thanos would be the prosthetic head, and mocap his body, because getting his body size right for an actor, that just seems to difficult. I think he should be a mix of both. Does anyone agree with me here? Or are we all sorta fixed on, actor in prosthetics?

Old 01-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #215
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
I know I am probably the select minority, but I have a very strong opinion that Thanos should NOT be just an actor in prosthetics and a bulky outfit. He should be like a head taller than Thor. which would be around 6 foot 7. We don't got a lot of actors that height. And not only that, but Thanos is a big guy. He's not hulk, but he should certainly be bulkier than MCU Thor.

For me, ideally, the best way to go for Thanos would be the prosthetic head, and mocap his body, because getting his body size right for an actor, that just seems to difficult. I think he should be a mix of both. Does anyone agree with me here? Or are we all sorta fixed on, actor in prosthetics?
I've been a fan of the Captain America method in reverse. Shoot Thanos twice, once with the chosen actor in prosthetics, and once with a giant stuntman copying his performance as close as possible in identical yet larger prosthetics, to give you a strong reference.

After that put the finishing touches on in post. Blend the performance where appropriate, use CGI for appropriate shots. I think the idea of limiting Thanos to one thing will do him a great disservice.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #216
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

After seeing what they did with Hulk in Avengers, I personally want Thanos to be all CGI, He is around the size of the Hulk anyway, plus it would just make him look more menacing and other worldly.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #217
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
After seeing what they did with Hulk in Avengers, I personally want Thanos to be all CGI, He is around the size of the Hulk anyway, plus it would just make him look more menacing and other worldly.
If you count every second Hulk was on screen though, he's only on camera for about 5 minutes in Avengers. You can't do that with Thanos, who will need significant screen time, without bloating the budget.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #218
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
If you count every second Hulk was on screen though, he's only on camera for about 5 minutes in Avengers. You can't do that with Thanos, who will need significant screen time, without bloating the budget.
Hhhhmmm, this is true. At the same though, the Star Wars prequels were made for $125 million each and had extensive CGI in them.

The only issue with that though is that Rocket and Groot will probably have to be CGI as well, its a tough one.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #219
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Hhhhmmm, this is true. At the same though, the Star Wars prequels were made for $125 million each and had extensive CGI in them.

The only issue with that though is that Rocket and Groot will probably have to be CGI as well, its a tough one.
That was $125 M in 1999 money, which is about $180 M today. Most of that cgi looked like **** to boot.

If you do a full CGI Thanos, who gets 30 Minutes of screen time, and looks comparable to the Hulk in Avengers (along with everything else in the film)? You're looking at at least a $250 M budget.

They need to use lots of prosthetics, physical references and practical effects in order to make this film work.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #220
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
That was $125 M in 1999 money, which is about $180 M today. Most of that cgi looked like **** to boot.

If you do a full CGI Thanos, who gets 30 Minutes of screen time, and looks comparable to the Hulk in Avengers (along with everything else in the film)? You're looking at at least a $250 M budget.

They need to use lots of prosthetics, physical references and practical effects in order to make this film work.
All 3 SW prequels cost $125 million, with the last one being 2005 as far as I remember. Also, look at the Transformers movies, not one cost more than $200 million, with the last being in 2011, and they all had extensive CGI and many CGI characters with plenty of screen time, so it can be done and has been recently.

It depends on the complexity of the CGI i suppose, but the bots in the TF movies do have a crazy amount of detail.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #221
Chris B
Side-Kick

I'm in the make-up/prosthetics/camera tricks camp as well. I'd don't think there is any quality of Thanos that can't be done with practical effects. They just need to find an actor who exudes physicallity.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #222
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I would hope you are right. Hemsworth is 6'4. Thanos on screen, in relation to Hemsworth/Thor, should be atleast 6'8 I'd say. Again, is that doable via camera tricks?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #223
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiDionysos View Post
By his "like the Pharaohs of old" line in Avengers I think Fury already knows Kang has been all over this timeline... an incident happened in the past and Kang escaped to some unkown time with Ultron. Only to return with Ultron in Avengers 2.
More fan-fiction I see ......

Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #224
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

They did a good job making the Engineers look tall in Prometheus.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #225
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
They did a good job making the Engineers look tall in Prometheus.
how did they do that though?