The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 10-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #776
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Default Re: Ms. Marvel in the works? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
I actually like the idea of introducing her in TA2 as Carol Danvers without really giving her a superhero name until a solo movie.
That could work, and still do the type of movie DrCosmic mentioned. That or introduce her in the SHIELD tv show.

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #777
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
Captain Mar-Vell is one of the characters, then he dies and she becomes Captain Marvel.
The only problem with that is that there's already a Captain in The Avengers. Maybe after Cap 3 they'll just kill off Captain America and then Carol can change her name to honor both him and Mar-Vell.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #778
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

That's also an issue. "Captain, Captain....Call me... Captain Iron Man..." It's a bit silly, and highlights how she is not unique, and in some ways, she's just a midpoint between Captain America and Iron Man.

Her name and costume challenges are almost as bad as Scarlet Witch's story challenges.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #779
Chewy
REDACTED

There are some issues with the name but there are no costume challenges. If/when they put her on film they'll adapt the costume into something that is no longer embarrassing and despite some fanboy tears most people will probably like it

Last edited by Chewy; 10-27-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #780
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Hmmm... but at the very least that conflicts with the brand new/current non-embarrassing (but non impressive) costume she has in comics now. So will the comics change, or will it just be the movie and comics versions have radically different looks?

Old 10-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #781
Chewy
REDACTED

They gave Hawkeye his movie costume in the comics, they're giving War Machine his Iron Patriot armor in the comics, they went through some of the most silly nonsense ever to get SLJ Fury in the comics. They'll always make sure there's a strong resemblance between the lead movie characters' appearance in the movies and the comics.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #782
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Thaaaaat's a good point. The new costume is unimpressive and without traction, they'd probably just change it in the comics. So maybe not so much with the costume issue...

Old 10-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #783
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I imagine Carol goes through at least one or two costume changes in the comics before we even see her in the movies.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #784
Panthro
Catman Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Hmmm... but at the very least that conflicts with the brand new/current non-embarrassing (but non impressive) costume she has in comics now. So will the comics change, or will it just be the movie and comics versions have radically different looks?
I figured the new costume in the comics was designed with the intention of being used in the movies.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #785
Chewy
REDACTED

I think it was mostly designed so that she could stand next to the big three without new readers assuming she's a stripper

Old 10-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #786
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Wall Re: Ms. Marvel in the works? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I think it was mostly designed so that she could stand next to the big three without new readers assuming she's a stripper
"She had it coming dressed like that!"- Marcus Immortus.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #787
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Woooow. Scary.

I think the comic costume was trying to do several things... I don't think it succeeded at any of them particularly. Even the current costume is drawn as a paint-on sometimes for maximum stripper effect.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #788
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Woooow. Scary.

I think the comic costume was trying to do several things... I don't think it succeeded at any of them particularly. Even the current costume is drawn as a paint-on sometimes for maximum stripper effect.
The modern costume is a color inversion of Mar-Vell's costume with some gold accents added for good measure.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #789
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
That could work, and still do the type of movie DrCosmic mentioned. That or introduce her in the SHIELD tv show.
I think it would be great to set up Carol in the SHIELD shows(and maybe even set up S.W.O.R.D.?)

Old 10-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #790
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Ooh, Ming-Na could secretly be Carol!

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #791
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthro View Post
I figured the new costume in the comics was designed with the intention of being used in the movies.
No, it usually works in reverse. The movies influence the comicbook modifications.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #792
Panthro
Catman Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
No, it usually works in reverse. The movies influence the comicbook modifications.
I took it as a rare example of thinking ahead and doing the modifications before the movie.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #793
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Changing her name to Captain Marvel and her costume to a more iconic and less like a bathing suit is most likely them trying to elevate her status in Marvel comics and possibly get her ready for her own movie or for the Avengers.

That is why I think its silly to think they wont call her Captain Marvel in the movies or call the movie Captain Marvel. Thats too much of a change to take the character currently named Captain Marvel and calling her Warbird in the movie, or calling the movie Warbird. That would be like making a Justice League movie and using Martian Manhunter instead of Cyborg. I think they will try to promote the current comics and not the past ones.
The whole issue with the name could be solved easily, sure she will be Captain Marvelo, but they could just call her Marvel. As in Captain America: "Thor and Marvel take the front, Iron Man and Black Widow will take the left, and Hawkeye and I will take them right." And then most of the time they call her Carol or Agent Danvers, as in Thor: "Incredible job you did taking out that horde or Kree Aliens Agent Danvers." or Iron Man: "Carol, Working for SHIELD now. Haven't seen you since Rhodey introduced us at that conference a few years back."
And while her movie would be Captain Marvel it would probably be more like Hawkeye or Black Widow where her superhero name is rarely used.

I would like a scene where she is trying to honor Captain Mar-Vell's memory by telling them his name and they assume its her superhero name and pronounce it Marvel instead of Mar-Vell.
But I don't think they would change her name in the movies so soon after changing her name and costume and giving her her own title in the comics. Even two or four years after.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #794
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

I missed the part where MS. Marvel wasn't a perfectly suited name.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #795
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Giving her the name of Captain Marvel sort of promotes her rank, gives her a more iconic name I guess. Plus the comic changed her name and the movie will follow the comic, probbly bypass any other name, she will go from Agent Carol Danvers to Captain Marvel most likely.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #796
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
The modern costume is a color inversion of Mar-Vell's costume with some gold accents added for good measure.
That's true, but with the Red sash and the golden accents mimicking military rank stripes on the side, as well as calling (to my) mind Wonder Woman's top, it seemed like they were shooting for iconic pretty solidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
I missed the part where MS. Marvel wasn't a perfectly suited name.
No one can come up with a suitable reason why a career military woman would choose to refer to herself as such. There are very few occassions where "Ms." is naturally used in modern society, none of them seem to have any common ground with naming one-self after an alien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
Ooh, Ming-Na could secretly be Carol!
I would love that. Most fans would have kittens.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #797
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Also if she is trying to honor Mar-Vell's memory like she is in the new comics calling herself Captain Marvel works, honoring his memory by calling herself Ms. Marvel isn't really the same. And when Mar-Vell dies there wont be a need for her to call herself something different. In the comics she originally called herself Ms. Marvel because Mar-Vell was still around. She designed her costume to look similar to his and call herself something similar. But in the movies I don't think he will be around much, so she could call herself Captain Marvel.
In fact the movie could even have Mar-Vell talk about how the Kree honor their heroes by passing down the names. So when he dies she calls herself Captain Marvel to honor his sacrifice. Something like that.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #798
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

What about "Marvel Girl"...? Wait nevermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*

Last edited by jaymes_e06; 10-29-2012 at 01:02 PM.
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #799
Chewy
REDACTED

Call her Deadpool

Old 10-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #800
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I think Captain Marvel is definitely the right name to call her as far as the story goes. Nothing else makes any sense - except 'Warbird' being her callsign, but that's an antiquated codename or a reason. It's just that when you say "Marvel presents: Captain Marvel" you give the impression to some that this will be the ultimate Marvel movie, and to others that this is the cheesiest Marvel movie. "Captain BlahBlah" is kind of code for cheese. Cap gets away with it because people kinda know he's Cap, and expect him to be cheesy but in a good way.

I think you can remedy it best by making "Captain Marvel" the ultimate Marvel movie, in terms of what people like about Marvel heroes, where Carol is very much a normal woman with normal problems that gets caught up in this epic superhero thing. She becomes a proxy for the audience not just into that film, but into the world of superheroics in general as she sees Mar-Vell and his larger than life adventures. Because she is not-powered for most of the film, she becomes a type of fan, in the literal sense, of Marvel. And then she gets the ultimate wish fulfillment... she gets to be the superhero.

As for the marketing, market it as his movie. I know some people don't like the switcheroo, but it's kind of what makes Carol, and indeed, the whole idea of a legacy hero, work. He's the one who is a mild mannered scientist, with a dark secret he's trying to hide from those closest to him. Problems? He's got all the problems you could ever hope for, from late rent to issues with his girl/crush/coworker Carol to terminal illness... and he's got power that drops jaws and aircraft carriers alike, and he's facing nothing less than a full on alien armada... all by himself... with may be Carol cheering him on and flying a little jet or something... Show all his best work in the trailer, and let Carol be the one who is a complete surprise, in the way that she does everything when it comes to release day...

Oh and show the name at the very end of the trailer, with a very frayed, distraught texture to it. Like the word Marvel is cracked/fractured or something. That should pretty much dispel the "Oh Marvel's got a superhero named 'Captain Marvel,' how predictable." stuff.

Longwinded, but that's how I'd do it... of course, his death would be as predictable as Gwen Stacy's then, wouldn't it? But then again, you could hire an actor on for just one film and get someone really really big like Pitt or someone on the caliber of the villain actors they've gotten. It wouldn't hurt to have three films in the contract though for Mar-Vell, one for a flashback, one for a timewarp scenario.

Edit:
Random Dialogue of dubious quality
Danvers: "Okay, let's start over then... I'm Major Carol Danvers, United States Air Force. Your turn."
Lawson: "If you wish. Pluskommander Gheneris Halason Mah'r Veh'l, Kree Imperial Navy"
Danvers: "Pluskommander? That's like..."
Lawson: "Captain, more or less..."
Danvers: "So... Captain Ma... Muh...."
Lawson [with truly alien accent]: "Pluskommander. Mah'r. Veh'l."
Danvers: "Okay, Pluskommander... Mar-Vell?... wait... you're not seriously telling me your name is Captain Marvel!? Seriously!? [quietly, to self] I want a cool name like Captain Marvel

Last edited by DrCosmic; 10-29-2012 at 03:08 PM.