The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #26
Angamb
Banned User

Default Re: Matthew Vaughn Is NOT Helming X-Men: First Class Sequel - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
The thing i mentioned are they jumping to later time to recast Banshee or Havok or are they jumping to later point In history so they can have teenage Cyclops,Jean,and Storm.
There Is no way Xavier and Beast are only X-Men In past.
they wont recast the x-men from First Class. The point to create a franchise is to keep the same cast, so the audience and fans get familiar with them.

To recast a full team is a big mistake.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #27
NanaT
X-Men United!

I can see your concern. Hopefully Bryan will give every character their due.
I think someone mentioned before about splitting the movie into two films. That would be the best idea and will hopefully be able to share the screen time evenly with all characters.

NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #28
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
*offers you a towel*

Sounds like you'll be needing this.
I wanted to say erection but I didn't want to get in trouble.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #29
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
I can see your concern. Hopefully Bryan will give every character their due.
I think someone mentioned before about splitting the movie into two films. That would be the best idea and will hopefully be able to share the screen time evenly with all characters.
after the success of The avengers, Im sure both Singer, Kimberg and Fox know what the critics and fans appreciated of it, and one of them is the balance of screentime with all the heroes.

They would be really stupid to give the spotlight to one character and put the rest on the background again.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #30
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
they wont recast the x-men from First Class. The point to create a franchise is to keep the same cast, so the audience and fans get familiar with them.

To recast a full team is a big mistake.
They might want to jump to point where they could have teenage Cyclops,Jean,and Storm.

Just like actors from ealrier films we will have to wait to find out how many acotrs are returning from First Class.Although we may not get confirmation till
they ae close to filming.

It will also be Intresting to see If Bryan brings back any crew members from X-Men/X2 to DOFP.I am betting Bryan directing means John Ottman scores
and edits film.Which Is good news.

marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #31
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I wanted to say erection but I didn't want to get in trouble.
You just did. Ban!!!

Oh wait. I'm not a mod anymore.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #32
chaseter
Bland User

erection!

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #33
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
They might want to jump to point where they could have teenage Cyclops,Jean,and Storm.

Just like actors from ealrier films we will have to wait to find out how many acotrs are returning from First Class.Although we may not get confirmation till
they ae close to filming.

It will also be Intresting to see If Bryan brings back any crew members from X-Men/X2 to DOFP.I am betting Bryan directing means John Ottman scores
and edits film.Which Is good news
That is EXCELLENT news. I love the Ott! He and Singer are brilliant together.

You know what would send me to heaven? If the exact same theme from X2 was reused for this film--just for the sake of continuity. I'd die!

Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #34
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
The thing i mentioned are they jumping to later time to recast Banshee or Havok or are they jumping to later point In history so they can have teenage Cyclops,Jean,and Storm.
There Is no way Xavier and Beast are only X-Men In past.
But, if they jump to the 80s, would Xavier and Magneto still look like McAvoy and Fassenbender or would they start to look like Stewart and McKellan?

Duran Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #35
def28
Side-Kick

If they switch whos scoring they better keep Magnetos theme from FC.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #36
Angamb
Banned User

yeah, this news means that many of Bryan's crew from X1 and X2 will be back. who was the production guy? Guy Diaz? or something like that, he seemed a cool guy, I remember x2 dvd and his interviews on set

Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #37
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
erection!
Ya freak!!!! Point that somewhere else.

I know what you mean though. It IS great news...I just wish I was fully excited about it. The following storylines have been done to goddamn death:

1.) Logan's back story
2.) Xavier's back story
3.) Erik's back story

When you think about it, THE ENTIRE X-MEN FRANCHISE HAS FOCUSED NEARLY 100% EXCLUSIVELY ON THESE THREE CHARACTERS IN VARYING DEGREES.

/endcapscraze

And yet...we're getting another Wolverine film...which is coming behind First Class--which was another origin film for...guess who? Xavier and Erik. So as you can see, I am kinda SICK of seeing these stories OVER AND OVER AGAIN. They've been done--and to the expense of everyone else. My fear is that Bryan will just go back to where he's comfortable and not move the needle anywhere but backward.

I want to see Jean. I want to see Cyclops. Give me Storm.

Give me the X-Men.

*throws soapbox at chaster*

Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #38
JP
Flame On

Why don't we merge this thread with the other? I'd hate to miss out on all this discussion...

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #39
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Major hmmm moment here. I want to celebrate...I really do. But I have misgivings.

On the one hand, I do think that Bryan is a great director; he's an excellent storyteller. But I don't believe he told the best X-Men film stories. Does that even make sense? I know it sounds crazy but it's how I feel. His handling of...well, "everyone else" except Logan was a massive failure to me. Now, I'm afraid he'll be obsessively focused on Xavier and Erik and carve an almost homoerotic nuance out of their storyline--to the point of once again ignoring everyone else. And that's because Bryan's best work excels when he's focused on just 2 or 3 characters. Ensemble films I believe he struggles with big-time.

In other words: this decision to have him direct is a step forward in quality storytelling, but a total step backward in character development for the X-Men as a group. I want Avengers treatment here...hell, even Fantastic Four-level interraction where these mutants operate as a dysfunctional team of heroes. Even X-Men: Last Stand was a stab in the right direction for that. Not sure we'll get that for this sequel.

I'm just...face-palmed out here.
disagree i felt he handled magneto,mysique,xavier,jean grey all very well on top of wolverine and developed rouge/iceman relationship very well too

really only people he never developed well were cyclops and storm imo

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #40
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I agree.

marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #41
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

I won't blame Singer for what happened to Cyclops. He had a god showing in X-Men, and his lack of screen time in X2 was due to the story they adapted. X3 is where he should have shone, but the actor chose to leave the role, and, of course, we saw what happened.

Duran Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #42
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
disagree i felt he handled magneto,mysique,xavier,jean grey all very well on top of wolverine and developed rouge/iceman relationship very well too

really only people he never developed well were cyclops and storm imo
To not develop Cyclops (the key and ORIGINAL X-Man) at the expense of fleshing out Logan as the "main man" misses the point of the entire X-Men mythos, don't you agree? How can you say he "handled them all very well" when his entire foundation was paved incorrectly from jump? He created a dynamic that eventually led to the demise of two of the three characters. Even without Ratner's X3, there was nowhere for movie Scott/Jean's relationship to go but down really.

And don't even get me started on Storm. LOL He made one of Marvel's greatest--and best known--heroines a friggin 12-year long laughingstock. And we can't blame Halle for all of it, because Bryan cast her in the first place.

There are 4 "core" X-Men in my opinion (Cyclops, Jean, Storm and Logan). These are all top-tier Marvel characters--even outside the X-Men ensemble. He got 1 out of 4 right. That's failure to me, Project862006. Do you see what I'm saying?

But that's the past. Believe me, I'm actually over it. I'm only bringing this up now because Bryan's involved again and I am concerned how it will determine the future.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 10-30-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #43
JP
Flame On

Quote:
To not develop Cyclops (the key and ORIGINAL X-Man) at the expense of fleshing out Logan as the "main man" misses the point of the entire X-Men mythos, don't you agree? How can you say he "handled them all very well" when his entire foundation was paved incorrectly from jump? He created a dynamic that eventually led to the demise of two of the three characters. Even without Ratner's X3, there was nowhere for movie Scott/Jean's relationship to go but down really.

And don't even get me started on Storm. LOL He made one of Marvel's greatest--and best known--heroines a friggin 12-year long laughingstock.

There are 4 "core" X-Men in my opinion (Cyclops, Jean, Storm and Logan). These are all top-tier Marvel characters--even outside the X-Men ensemble. He got 1 out of 4 right. That's failure to me, Project862006. Do you see what I'm saying?

But that's the past. Believe me, I'm actually over it. I'm only bringing this up now because Bryan's involved again and I am concerned how it will determine the future.
He's been involved for the last 2-3 years.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #44
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
He's been involved for the last 2-3 years.
Yes. And what did we receive? First Class basically just regurgitated (beautifully and effectively, mind you--but redundantly so, nevertheless) the same storyline for Xavier and Erik storyline again. And we still got a forced cameo from a much-aged Hugh Jackman in there.

And I guess that's my point. If Logan's not available, Bryan latches onto Xavier and Erik...these three characters are clearly his comfort zone. I get that. The question is, can he tell a story without them? Or at least in equal degree with a true ensemble story?

This is what I want to see. I will be cautiously optimistic, because I DO love Bryan as a director. His X-Men films are the Godfathers of the entire Hero Film genre's success and even why we have SuperheroHype! in the first place.

I just want to see a true X-story from him without the moviefied shortcuts.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 10-30-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #45
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Yes. And what did we receive? First Class basically just regurgitated (beautifully and effectively, mind you--but redundantly so, nevertheless) the same storyline for Xavier and Erik storyline again. And we still got a forced cameo from a much-aged Hugh Jackman in there.
Seriously?

Old 10-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #46
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Seriously?
Agreed. Hugh has looked the same to me, for rought the past 4 or 5 years. He actually looks even more like Wolverine now that he's a little older.

Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #47
JP
Flame On

Quote:
Seriously?
Hey, Danny! Think you could merge the two singer threads? Basically the same discussion in both, and it would be nice if everyone was talking to each other! Haha, the forum hasn't been this active in a while...

Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #48
Marvin
Side-Kick

I want to know why Vaughn left. It couldn't have been time, cause here sits Singer with the same release date and an even colder start.

One of the reasons XFC did the numbers it did was because the audience wasn't sure if they were on board with committing to a new franchise...the more I hear about future past the less I'm convinced it's a proper sequel for first class. That film really does seem like a one shot.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #49
def28
Side-Kick

Hopefully Singers earlier comments about expanding the Universe come into play. This film should set up a few possibilities for future films. As others have said the focus has been on the same characters for quite some time. They need to start using the X universe and characters to its potential.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #50
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Seriously?
I didn't say he wasn't hot. LOL

But he is 12 years older than when he began with this franchise. And he does look more mature--and it's in a good way. But surely you don't believe he looks the exact same way he did in 2000?

And that's beside the point. My thing is, he (Bryan & Co.) still tried to find a way to shoehorn Logan into the story. That could've been James Marsden, or whoever else. That single scene--with Logan at the bar being approached by Xavier and Erik--sums up the character crux of the film franchise.

There is so much more to the X-Men than just those three characters. My hope is that Bryan will...well, (pardon the pun) evolve past them and really embrace the beauty of this mutant family for all it stands for.