The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 10-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #51
JP
Smelly

Default Re: Matthew Vaughn Is NOT Helming X-Men: First Class Sequel - Part 1

How could it have been Marsden? Cyclops likely wasn't even born yet.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:07 AM   #52
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Um, well, wasn't he 15 or so in that pesky 2009-released, 1970s-set mutant flashback tour?

I can't remember the title...

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
JackMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #53
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Okay, good point.

But you seen mine, don't you?

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #54
JP
Smelly

Kinda... but Romjin also got a cameo so..

I was against any Wolverine cameo, but it worked. And it was a highlight of the film. They're searching for mutants using Cerebro, knowing that Logan is alive and out there somewhere it's not farfetched to think that they would try and recruit him. It wasn't distracting and didn't take away from the story.

Last edited by JP; 10-31-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:41 AM   #55
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Scott looked to be in his mid-30s tops during the trilogy. That means he was born in the mid 70s.

It made no sense at all for a 16-year-old Scott to be alive in the mid-70s in Origins. That would make him 50 in X3. Nonsense.

Same thing with FC. A teenage Scott can't possibly exist in 1962.

I wouldn't mind seeing Scott as a child living in Xavier's school if Singer does indeed bump up the FC faction to 1980. Scott would have to be 11-years-old tops & not a year older.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:42 AM   #56
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

The more I'm reminded of the discontinuity between the films the more I think Days of Future Past will simply add to it rather than fix anything.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #57
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
That is EXCELLENT news. I love the Ott! He and Singer are brilliant together.

You know what would send me to heaven? If the exact same theme from X2 was reused for this film--just for the sake of continuity. I'd die!
Seriously, do not get the love for this guy, especially after what Henry Jackman did for FC. It would be nice to keep Jackman in, if only for continuity's sake. He developed some clear character themes (Raven's and Magneto's especially) that would be remiss not to include in the sequel. Not to mention the fact that the majority of the score is bloody fantastic (Cerebro, Frankenstein's Monster Rage & Serenity, Mutant & Proud, Pain & Anger, Not that Sort of Bank, Sub Lift, To Beast or Not to Beast, X-Training). The Magneto theme is so iconic that when I watch the old trilogy I actually miss it every time Erik shows up. And I'd love to see how Jackman would transform Raven's sweet, optimistic theme into something darker and colder. Hints of the Rage and Serenity or Mutant and Proud theme every time Mags and Xavier or Xavier and Mystique have to face off would pretty much break my heart on the spot.

I can't remember any of the X2 themes at all, every time I look them up on Youtube I forget them pretty much instantly (including the main theme). It's not even the best score of the original TRILOGY (that award goes to John Powell for X3, but really only for his Dark Phoenix melodies). It's just standard superhero-movie-music.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #58
Project862006
Banned User

i still want some sort of form of the animated series theme lol

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 AM   #59
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
Seriously, do not get the love for this guy, especially after what Henry Jackman did for FC. It would be nice to keep Jackman in, if only for continuity's sake. He developed some clear character themes (Raven's and Magneto's especially) that would be remiss not to include in the sequel. Not to mention the fact that the majority of the score is bloody fantastic (Cerebro, Frankenstein's Monster Rage & Serenity, Mutant & Proud, Pain & Anger, Not that Sort of Bank, Sub Lift, To Beast or Not to Beast, X-Training). The Magneto theme is so iconic that when I watch the old trilogy I actually miss it every time Erik shows up. And I'd love to see how Jackman would transform Raven's sweet, optimistic theme into something darker and colder. Hints of the Rage and Serenity or Mutant and Proud theme every time Mags and Xavier or Xavier and Mystique have to face off would pretty much break my heart on the spot.

I can't remember any of the X2 themes at all, every time I look them up on Youtube I forget them pretty much instantly (including the main theme). It's not even the best score of the original TRILOGY (that award goes to John Powell for X3, but really only for his Dark Phoenix melodies). It's just standard superhero-movie-music.
Apart from the magneto theme all the other music in First Class is forgettable. I wouldn't notice if they changed the Raven/mystique theme it wasn't that memorable. As for X2 I remember the main theme, and the Magneto theme, and the nightcrawler themes. They are really good pieces of music. I'd love John Ottman to come back. However I too would miss the Magneto theme from FC

NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #60
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Not a fan of Ottman.

Powell's my guy.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #61
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I hope Bryan Singer brings back the visual-effects intro and the "X" door at the beginning!

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #62
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I hope Bryan Singer brings back the visual-effects intro and the "X" door at the beginning!
Yeah the first class opening intro were a bit uninspired

NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #63
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post

The music for First Class was quite bland aside from Magneto's theme. Powell's would have been nice if it wasn't so overplayed

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #64
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

So Singer & Vaughn's roles swapped. Could have been a lot worse.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #65
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Of all the directors they could have gotten, it could have been worse than the guy that brought us the first two movies, the second of which was absolutely awesome. It could have been way worse -coughRATNERcough-

Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #66
OsGom
Mind-Taker

Doh Re: Matthew Vaughn Is NOT Helming X-Men: First Class Sequel - Part 1

Honestly while I appreciate all the doors Singer's adaptations opened for other franchises, I think his interpretation failed to capture crucial and compelling aspects of the comics.

Singer has failed to fully express the hate and fear the public in general have for mutants. The Xmen are an allegory for the Civil Rights movement but at no point in the movies did I feel that mutants were afraid to walk the streets for fear of being murdered or lynched. Yes there have been a radical few in the government but nothing that I felt would merit secluding themselves from the populace. It is this racial element that forges the bonds between this band of misfits. Did they ever even utter the racial epitaph "mutie" in any of the films?

Psychic powers remain completely under utilized and boring. Surely there could be something these creative individuals can do to better feature these powers and help people understand just what makes the Professor so powerful. Some might point to the Phoenix scenes from X3, but does average Joe understand that her powers are psychic in nature?

Lastly, and i know this is sacreligeous, I am tired of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. I'll be the first to admit that Hugh has exceeded my expectations as Wolverine, however, between his good looks and his poorly adapted characterization, I don't feel that they have fuly captured the character that I loved from the books. I would rather see the tiny ball of fury and bad attitude he was early in the books. Not the tall handsome boyscout they made him in the movies.

Not all of this is Singer's fault but it is his design that has been perpetuating these issues.

Then there is continuity, which by now is so screwed, it takes an army of fanboys to tell me how many minutes of which scene in which movie to disregard so that it all makes sense.

I expect Days of Future Past will be partly a vehicle with which they intend to address all the continuity crap but if that is the case, that is valuable story time they shouldn't have to waste in correcting errors. It would be cheating viewers when it is something they should have gotten right the first time around.

Just an opinion.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #67
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Lol. OsGom. Good to see you around here again.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #68
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsGom View Post
Honestly while I appreciate all the doors Singer's adaptations opened for other franchises, I think his interpretation failed to capture crucial and compelling aspects of the comics.

Singer has failed to fully express the hate and fear the public in general have for mutants. The Xmen are an allegory for the Civil Rights movement but at no point in the movies did I feel that mutants were afraid to walk the streets for fear of being murdered or lynched. Yes there have been a radical few in the government but nothing that I felt would merit secluding themselves from the populace. It is this racial element that forges the bonds between this band of misfits. Did they ever even utter the racial epitaph "mutie" in any of the films?

Psychic powers remain completely under utilized and boring. Surely there could be something these creative individuals can do to better feature these powers and help people understand just what makes the Professor so powerful. Some might point to the Phoenix scenes from X3, but does average Joe understand that her powers are psychic in nature?

Lastly, and i know this is sacreligeous, I am tired of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. I'll be the first to admit that Hugh has exceeded my expectations as Wolverine, however, between his good looks and his poorly adapted characterization, I don't feel that they have fuly captured the character that I loved from the books. I would rather see the tiny ball of fury and bad attitude he was early in the books. Not the tall handsome boyscout they made him in the movies.

Not all of this is Singer's fault but it is his design that has been perpetuating these issues.

Then there is continuity, which by now is so screwed, it takes an army of fanboys to tell me how many minutes of which scene in which movie to disregard so that it all makes sense.

I expect Days of Future Past will be partly a vehicle with which they intend to address all the continuity crap but if that is the case, that is valuable story time they shouldn't have to waste in correcting errors. It would be cheating viewers when it is something they should have gotten right the first time around.

Just an opinion.
I don't think the aim will be to tie up the series like that. They'll use whatever tricks they can to make DOFP work rather than fix previous films.

Also on Singer, he did an admirable job given the considerable constraints he was working under. There is however (as you say), a lot more to X-Men than we saw in those films and I don't see why it can't be an Avengers level property (in terms of success) with a film that has sufficient ambition. Maybe this is the time that he can give us a definitive X-Men film.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #69
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsGom View Post

Just an opinion.
Here, here.

Oh, and Powell's score was the absolute best of the trilogy. So poignant. But Ottman's X2 theme was a seriously close second in my opinion. I'd be happy with either returning to score this next film.

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #70
JP
Smelly

I feel like Kamen's score is undeservedly underrated.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #71
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
I feel like Kamen's score is undeservedly underrated.
From the first film? Yes, it has it's place. But I wouldn't rank it higher than its successors? It was a soft, gentle intro into a new cinematic universe. Perfect for its time. But as the storylines and issues racheted up, so did the music accordingly.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #72
JP
Smelly

It laid a foundation, one that Ottman expanded on beautifully, and Powell disregarded completely. I like Powell's Jean/Phoenix stuff, but everything else, eh.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #73
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
It laid a foundation, one that Ottman expanded on beautifully, and Powell disregarded completely. I like Powell's Jean/Phoenix stuff, but everything else, eh.
See, I felt that each score was self-containing and exclusive from the others. I felt no harmony between Ottman's stuff and Kamen's, or Ottman's to Powell's. Each film had it's own "feel" and the scores were tailored to that.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:38 PM   #74
JP
Smelly

Kamen and Ottman both have similar main themes. Ottman's theme is pretty much the John Williams version of Kamens. But both pretty grand.

Kamen was also the one who decided that strings work best for Mystique, and Ottman continued that with her X2 theme.

Honestly, I miss those God damn strings.

Powell's music is when the drastic shift occurs. And I like some of it. . .

But the most iconic piece of music, imo, is Jackman's Magneto theme from First Class and I will be DEVASTATED if we lose that.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #75
Snikt
Side-Kick

I actually enjoy all of X3's music by Powell. I enjoyed Ottman's main theme, but that's it. Still rank it as one of the best Marvel movie themes. And I actually can hear a common "sound" between Powell's main X-Men theme and Ottman's main X-Men theme.

Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote