The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #76
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor's power level

BTW, can Kurse fly, or does he have super-leap? As far as I know, he doesn't. But it would be fun if there were some harness work in this film.

American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #77
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
Well, when you wrote about craters, the ones Loki made were not what I imagined. Nah, those are puny craters for a puny god
GASP!!! American Maid! I think that comment officially disqualifies you from joining "Loki's Army" LOL

Speaking of Thor, power, and Loki, I really enjoyed the Loki-Thor fights but really, shouldn't Thor have been SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than Loki and beat him down much more easily than he did? It seems like Loki held his own pretty well in all their fights so far, and that's not really that in sync with their supposed physical power levels. Although perhaps a reason could be Thor is holding back because he doesn't really want to kill his little bro. Come to think of it, Loki should have made more of a crater/line in the ground when Thor threw him into the mountain and he slid a ways. Unless, again, he was actually going a little easier on him than first thought.

elizah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #78
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
GASP!!! American Maid! I think that comment officially disqualifies you from joining "Loki's Army" LOL
Sorry!! I couldn't resist the rhetorical flourish (I also don't think of any of the Asgardians as gods, in the deity sense, yet couldn't resist the reference) At least Loki didn't seem to be that much worse for the wear. Back on his feet after a day and a half. And one would think Hulk could do a better job of slamming someone. Here I heard he was supposed to be strong, enough to be competitive with Thor. . .

Quote:
Speaking of Thor, power, and Loki, I really enjoyed the Loki-Thor fights but really, shouldn't Thor have been SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than Loki and beat him down much more easily than he did? It seems like Loki held his own pretty well in all their fights so far, and that's not really that in sync with their supposed physical power levels. Although perhaps a reason could be Thor is holding back because he doesn't really want to kill his little bro. Come to think of it, Loki should have made more of a crater/line in the ground when Thor threw him into the mountain and he slid a ways. Unless, again, he was actually going a little easier on him than first thought.
Well, the Marvel site says Thor is 7/7 on strength, and Loki is 5/7. So yeah, it should have been considerably more lopsided (for reference, Iron Man is 6/7 and Hulk is 7/7).

But to everyone's lament, Thor is not shown at his actual power level. Likely he is going easy on everyone, lol!

But yeah, a crater and/or trench would have been good to see. Maybe they really were hitting budget constraints.

American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #79
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sorry!! I couldn't resist the rhetorical flourish (I also don't think of any of the Asgardians as gods, in the deity sense, yet couldn't resist the reference) At least Loki didn't seem to be that much worse for the wear. Back on his feet after a day and a half. And one would think Hulk could do a better job of slamming someone. Here I heard he was supposed to be strong, enough to be competitive with Thor. . .
You'd have thought he'd have gone through the floor! I mean, Tony's got some strong flooring there! 8/10 at least! LOL

elizah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #80
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Thanks for the information.

I wonder on how people would feel though if during their fight, we actually see something that's been kind of common to show within animated fights featuring heroes with capes and that is seeing someone grab Thor by his Cape and swing him around endlessly before throwing him at a far distance.
I'd perfer Kurse grabbing Thor by his body or one of his limbs whenever he throws him, the cape throw thing is a little too cartooney.

An opponent using Thor's cape against him should logically to stop wearing capes and no one wants that to happen. Otherwise it would just make him look stupid, "hey people use this against me while I'm fighting but I'm just gonna keep wearing it".

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #81
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
So with Kurse being physically stronger than Thor being a canon thing from the comics, no one here has a problem with Thor getting his ass kicked the first time (ala Bane vs Batman from TDKR/First Fight) when they encounter each other in the film?
Ya generally what BT said, assuming they fight twice. But as I see it, lightning shouldn't be TOO effective. And if Thor chooses to Brawl with him and grapple, like he did vs Hulk in the avengers, then in that case he should* get his ass kicked. Cause against Kurse he is completely physically outclassed

They'll probably do it something like that

Last edited by jaqua99; 10-31-2012 at 11:55 AM.
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #82
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I can't really imagine it mattering. If an opponent grabbed Thor's cape, it'd just rip the cape. Its not indestructible.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #83
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I can't really imagine it mattering. If an opponent grabbed Thor's cape, it'd just rip the cape. Its not indestructible.
Yep, but it's made out of Asgardian material so it's probably alot more durable than it looks.

I agree with you though, someone strong enough to fight Thor should be able to rip the cape no problem.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #84
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Ya, lol I am not even thinking about the cape.

I just personally think that if Thor tries to brawl with Kurse like he did with Hulk, he should get the smack down layed on him

Old 11-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #85
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Ya, lol I am not even thinking about the cape.

I just personally think that if Thor tries to brawl with Kurse like he did with Hulk, he should get the smack down layed on him
Well Thor's still faster and more skilled than Kurse, just like he's faster and more skilled than Hulk.

If he uses his fighting skills he can still put up a fight, being stronger than someone isn't everything.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #86
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Well Thor's still faster and more skilled than Kurse, just like he's faster and more skilled than Hulk.

If he uses his fighting skills he can still put up a fight, being stronger than someone isn't everything.
It certainly isn't. But the thing is, with Kurse being as strong as he is, that is how I would expect it to go in the movie. Wouldn't you agree? Yes, in a battle forum, he can use his skills and put up a fight. I totally agree.

But given the course of the movie, and how strong we are expecting Kurse to be, I think it would be safe to say that IF they decide to have Thor take on Kurse physically first, then Kurse will most likely have a decisive advantage of Thor. Probably beating him down Causing him to then resort to using his other powers. My appologies for not making my point clear. While like in the hulk fight, thor has his advantages over Kurse, if Kurse is as strong as he is suppose to be, it seems more likely that they will have Kurse beat thor down in a brawl, causing thor to use more of his powers.

On a side note BT, where ya been? Been a few days since you've been around here lol

Old 11-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #87
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

^ Yeah I know, but I hope they have Thor dodging and blocking Kurse's attacks before he's overwhelmed.

Oh and I've been kind of busy this week, I haven't had as much time to get on here lately.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #88
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Sorry for bringing up MoS guys, but this crater talk reminded me of a set pic I saw.

Not sure about the cause of it, hopefully a brawl. I really need TDW to have heavy-hitting and crater causing blows in it.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #89
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Thor and Loki didn't really fight hand to hand, they were using weapons and they were just parrying each other's blows. There was hardly any punches or grappling in their fights which would've showcased their strength difference much more

Whenever melee and grappling took place Thor was the clear superior as evidenced by tossing/slamming Loki in both fights.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #90
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

In 2013 we have three Superhero movies that have heroes who have ability to Fly (Iron Man, Superman, Thor).

It would be interesting to see which movie has the best flying shots.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #91
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
In 2013 we have three Superhero movies that have heroes who have ability to Fly (Iron Man, Superman, Thor).

It would be interesting to see which movie has the best flying shots.

Iron Man will be the one to beat, if his past appearances are anything to go by. With the addition of jet packs on his back, he was able to pull some stunts that made all previous flying scenes look lame in comparison. Hovering, flying on his back while shooting targets behind him, pulling up and banking, Iron Man just kicked ass in The Avengers. ILM was at the peak of its powers and now Disney owns them, which means it should only get better.

Disney's acquisition of ILM should also help Thor's FX immensely, or at least I hope that it will. Now they won't have to let the work out to inferior graphics houses. Hopefully we can see some extended flying sequences, coupled with more use of lightning.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #92
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Iron Man will be the one to beat, if his past appearances are anything to go by. With the addition of jet packs on his back, he was able to pull some stunts that made all previous flying scenes look lame in comparison. Hovering, flying on his back while shooting targets behind him, pulling up and banking, Iron Man just kicked ass in The Avengers. ILM was at the peak of its powers and now Disney owns them, which means it should only get better.

Disney's acquisition of ILM should also help Thor's FX immensely, or at least I hope that it will. Now they won't have to let the work out to inferior graphics houses. Hopefully we can see some extended flying sequences, coupled with more use of lightning.
I wonder if ILM's doing the FX for TDW, since TDW was already filiming before Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #93
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
I wonder if ILM's doing the FX for TDW, since TDW was already filiming before Disney bought Lucasfilm.

I definitely hope so. Whichever houses did the CGI for Thor turned in some rather shoddy work in the scenes where it really mattered. While TDW won't have an Avengers-level budget, it should be allotted significantly more than Thor was simply due to box office receipts. That should have let them go a bit higher on the FX this time out.

Now that Disney has ILM in-house, Marvel should slap a saddle on them suckers and ride 'em til they drop. They're in the position to get some top-notch work at cost. Feige will undoubtedly take advantage of that resource.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #94
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
I definitely hope so. Whichever houses did the CGI for Thor turned in some rather shoddy work in the scenes where it really mattered. While TDW won't have an Avengers-level budget, it should be allotted significantly more than Thor was simply due to box office receipts. That should have let them go a bit higher on the FX this time out.

Now that Disney has ILM in-house, Marvel should slap a saddle on them suckers and ride 'em til they drop. They're in the position to get some top-notch work at cost. Feige will undoubtedly take advantage of that resource.
I definitely agree! I especially like the sentence in bold.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #95
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

I don't mind some of the stuff shipped out to other places though, like WETA doing the damaged Helicarrier shots or another company coloring the actors' eyes blue in The Avengers. The main Marvel movies that need ILM are Spider-Man and Sony probably won't have that.

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #96
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
I don't mind some of the stuff shipped out to other places though, like WETA doing the damaged Helicarrier shots or another company coloring the actors' eyes blue in The Avengers. The main Marvel movies that need ILM are Spider-Man and Sony probably won't have that.

Marvel will undoubtedly use multiple effects houses because the projects are too large and complex for one vendor to handle. Some shops specialize in certain areas, too. But ILM is the industry's premier VFX house and it would be criminal for Disney/Marvel not to make as much use as possible of their talents.

Sony has its own VFX shop that they will continue to use for Spider-Man. With its financial woes, Sony is probably trying to cut spending in every area of its movie budgets, including effects. They likely can't afford to pay for the best in the industry.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #97
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Agreed on all counts

I sure hope this happens, because Thor's flying scenes so far makes me a little angry with Marvel.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #98
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Man I just can't WAIT to see effects more often in the Marvel films. I just hope they don't get TOO carried away. (you can never get carried away with Thor effects )

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #99
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I'd like to see Thor first throw his hammer at a barrage of enemies and then be shown fighting them with his hands as he's waiting for his hammer to come back. We never got a chance to really see that in the previous film. During that part, we just saw him throwing the hammer at his foes and the camera would focus on that instead of going back to Thor who was unarmed at that give moment.

I think it'd be badass if we could see Thor throw his hammer and be shown fending off several enemies with his hands before naturally getting back his hammer at precision timing and landing a blow at another opponent effortlessly.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #100
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I'd like to see Thor first throw his hammer at a barrage of enemies and then be shown fighting them with his hands as he's waiting for his hammer to come back. We never got a chance to really see that in the previous film. During that part, we just saw him throwing the hammer at his foes and the camera would focus on that instead of going back to Thor who was unarmed at that give moment.

I think it'd be badass if we could see Thor throw his hammer and be shown fending off several enemies with his hands before naturally getting back his hammer at precision timing and landing a blow at another opponent effortlessly.
Yeah and this is so much of a plain "common sense" idea that I'm suprised that we haven't seen it yet.

Spider-Man - Hear what?