The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #251
Project862006
Banned User

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past

problem with alot of x men outfits is they are way too colorful to be adapted to screen without looking goofy alot of x men where some sort of bright yellow,green,and red

but i could see it working if they use spandex like material of Prometheus suits tho

Old 11-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #252
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
What makes you think that Singer doesn't care for Storm? Did he say that himself? I just can't see him giving the character the screentime he did if he didn't care for her.

I want Banshee to stay, but the rest of the mutants you mentioned can be dropped.
I don't think I'll be able to find the proof, but I recall that singer didn't want Storm in X1 and was forced to put her in. It's not he hates the character, he just doesn't know how to or didn't care to give Storm any integral part in the story. The relationship to Kurt was ok but Logan, Rogue, Jean, and even to some extent Cyclops got plot lines that were integral to the movie. And now that I think about it, even Bobby and Pyro got story arc.

- Logan - whole movie
- Rogue - running away, dealing with powers/boyfriend
- Jean - feelings for Logan, Phoenix stuff
- Scott - dealing with love triangle, being groomed as leader
- Bobby - relationship to Rogue, coming out to parents
- Pyro - troublemaker, being seduced to the dark side
- Nightcrawler - being a man of faith (and just so true to the comics)
- Storm - seeing Kelly die? Killing Toad? Being someone that Kurt momentarily connects with? That's all you got??

I'll explain my opinion on Banshee and Havok in the next post.

Last edited by josh8; 11-01-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #253
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
They were better than the FC outfits.
No they weren't.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #254
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
problem with alot of x men outfits is they are way too colorful to be adapted to screen without looking goofy alot of x men where some sort of bright yellow,green,and red

but i could see it working if they use spandex like material of Prometheus suits tho
I think something like that could work really well. A change from the black suits would be a good call.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #255
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
No they weren't.
I disagree.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #256
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
What makes you think that Singer doesn't care for Storm? Did he say that himself? I just can't see him giving the character the screentime he did if he didn't care for her.

I want Banshee to stay, but the rest of the mutants you mentioned can be dropped.
Storm in X1 barely had any screentime and when she is on screen the role she plays is not central to the story and could easily be taken out. In X2 she has a bit better screen time only because she won an oscar and got very popular, they had to make last minute rewrites to the script to give her more screen time. And the scene she has with Nightcrawler in the jet was written weeks into filming. Despite this Storm's role is still not central to the plot and again if you took her out the story wouldn't suffer as much as it would if you took, Jean or even Rogue out.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #257
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
But I don't agree in just dumping Banshee and Havok. They're classic comic book characters and they deserve a bit more respect. I find it a bit hypocritical that on the one hand you moan about how some characters were treated and then want two of the characters to be just dumped.
I agree it's a bit hypocritical, but I can elaborate my opinion.

I love Banshee and Havok, but let's be real... they're B-team and lucky to have been seen in any movie. Many people were pissed that this "First Class" wasn't the classic first class. I've always thought that a way to reconcile this was just to say that these kids helped on a one-off mission when the world needed them but then moved on. Eventually Xavier really creates the school (after having come to terms with the loss of the use of his legs), recruits Hank, and then finds a young Scott and Jean. The timeline will have to be fudged a little, but who's to say when a "not so distant future" really is... I mean the ugly clothes they wore definitely didn't look like the 2010s. ;-)

Old 11-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #258
Project862006
Banned User

i think they were afraid she might of outshined some people because if they adated her right she would be as much of a leader as cyclops is she has a commanding presence and is basically the mother of the x men

Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #259
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
They were better than the FC outfits.
I don't think I could see Hugh, Halle, Famke et al in those blue and yellow outfits. they look better in the black.

Michael, james, and Jennifer look good in the blue and yellow. Having said that I expect the black ouitfits to look much better with a bit more colour. and the First Class outfits to just look.....better.

So my point is that the black suit Singer's X-Men and the yellow and blue suit Vaugn's X-Men

Old 11-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #260
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:

I agree! In the apocalyptic future, they should just be wearing regular clothing to try to blend in (PUNK STORM!!!!). If costumes are needed (for either period) I think something that looks a little like the Prometheus costume material could work.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #261
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
Storm in X1 barely had any screentime and when she is on screen the role she plays is not central to the story and could easily be taken out. In X2 she has a bit better screen time only because she won an oscar and got very popular, they had to make last minute rewrites to the script to give her more screen time. And the scene she has with Nightcrawler in the jet was written weeks into filming. Despite this Storm's role is still not central to the plot and again if you took her out the story wouldn't suffer as much as it would if you took, Jean or even Rogue out.
Well, I hope Storm is well-treated, well-written, well-acted and well-directed in DoFP and in any future films in which she appears (such as, for instance, if the First Class franchise continues and we see her recruited).

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10
Old 11-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #262
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

The black leather outfits were pretty much used to cash in on the Matrix hype. Everyone was afraid of making colorful outfits after all the campy late 90s superhero flops. Spider-Man pretty much brought it back, and by then it was kind of too late to give them colorful outfits just for the sake of continuity. I personally liked what they did with them though. Especially how everyone had their own personal little accents on them.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #263
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Well, I hope Storm is well-treated, well-written, well-acted and well-directed in DoFP and in any future films in which she appears (such as, for instance, if the First Class franchise continues and we see her recruited).
And that's why I mentioned I had concerns about Singer (finally back on topic!) regarding Storm. If he understood the character, he would have at least given Halle some instruction on how to play her. Halle isn't as incompetent an actress as some seem to think, but when you give Storm lines like "I gotta shake 'em!", you obviously don't get it. All he had to tell her was ACT CALM AND REGAL!

Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #264
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Black leather was used 1:Because of Matrix and 2:Batman & Robin gave comic book films a bad name.Lauren Shueller Donnor admited on first Class BTS features at the time they
thought It would work better In the more grounded world they were aiming for.

People have to remember things were much different In 1999 when X-Men went Into production.It was a big deal just to get a big property like X-Men made Into a film .Considering Fox would only spend 75 Million on It and the rushed schedule It Is amazing X-men turned out as well as It did.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #265
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Black leather was used 1:Because of Matrix and 2:Batman & Robin gave comic book films a bad name.Lauren Shueller Donnor admited on first Class BTS features at the time they
thought It would work better In the more grounded world they were aiming for.

People have to remember things were much different In 1999 when X-Men went Into production.It was a big deal just to get a big property like X-Men made Into a film .Considering Fox would only spend 75 Million on It and the rushed schedule It Is amazing X-men turned out as well as It did.
Very good point. I was never a hater of the black leather. It's just that the look was so lazy and... uninspired.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #266
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

And the characters didn't have the entire same outfit.

My feeling Is In First Class era Singer will keep some kind of outfit similar to first Class
uniforms.Might be updated some.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #267
Figs
Side-Kick

Personally I felt they made the more comic accurate costumes work in FC and it would be a shame if they jump them into the boring black leather suits from the first films in DoFP.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #268
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:

This costume mixs different materials and that's a perfect way to adapt comic costumes.

Use some parts with the iconic colour of each x-man, then add some black here and there, then another material, and there you have it.

They can do something that looks current and mature but still representing classic costume of each character.

But dont think Days of future is the right sequel to adapt comic costumes.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #269
Doc Ock
The Desolation of Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I think something like that could work really well. A change from the black suits would be a good call.
Indeed, but a change from the First Class suits would probably be nice too.

A Member of Raimi's "Spider-Man Trilogy" Fans | YOU MUST WATCH DOCTOR WHO | Love Smallville | I still believe in heroes Marvel Studios.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #270
Angamb
Banned User

yeah, First Class costume/materials with a current twist and classic colour from each character = Perfect!

Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #271
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I'm a bit relieved Singer is directing, if not just for John Ottman returning to score and co-edit the film. His X2 theme was far better than Henry Jackman's one for First Class.

Considering that the film is a sequel to First Class but presumably featuring the trilogy characters in some time-travel aspect, I wouldn't be surprised if Ottman uses both Jackman's and his own theme. That would be cool to hear.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #272
The Guard
Side-Kick

The X-Men wore black leather because that's what the filmmakers wanted them to wear. If it was about cashing in on the Matrix, they would have all worn skintight catsuits or trenchcoats and shades, which, with the exception of Cyclops and Cyclops in X2, they didn't. The campy comic book movies of the late 90's tended to have dark, largely black-based costumes too, at least for the heroes. If anything, the X-suits were a departure and something new.

It's kind of amusing to me...people bashed the "black leather" look when it appeared, but the design/approach of those suits seems to have influenced almost every modern redesign/superhero suit seen in comics and film since. What with the use of black, muted colors, the leather look, the ribbing look, the "padding look", buckles and snaps, etc. Think a lot of the "Ultimate Marvel" designs and some of Jim Lee's mid 2000's redesigns and you'll see what I mean.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 11-01-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #273
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
The X-Men wore black leather because that's what the filmmakers wanted them to wear.
The filmmakers wanted them to wear that because black leather was in at the time. (Matrix, Blade) Anything colorful/ spandex wasn't. (Batman and Robin, The Phantom, Steel)

Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #274
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I was wondering too if Havok and Banshee should be dropped. But it makes sense to keep them, they are the team (along with Beast).

Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #275
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

I don't see the use in dropping 2 of the only 3 X-Men on the team.