The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #651
Matt Mortem

Default Re: News & Discussion Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
This single shot received an "R" rating.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

That shot was 20 seconds long.

You think a 2-hour movie about a master killer dueling with Japan's underworld and ninja can function without blood & gore and remain within PG-13 confines?

The reason Origins failed was that Gavin Hood was instructed to keep things light. To make a kids movie.

Unlike Nolan's Batman, Wolverine kills. Nolan can push the envelope with PG-13 because his protagonist's #1 rule is not to kill. You don't have that liberty with Wolverine.
That shot is in X2, it still got the PG-13. They just had to cut away to Iceman shortly after he stabs the soldier. I do think it's entirely possibly to deliver a great Wolverine film without resorting to needless gore and sexual content. A rating doesn't make a movie. You could get all the gore you are so desperate for and the film could end up sucking. I don't see why the quality of this film hinges on how much carnage we get to see.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #652
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Dude, you don't need to sell me on anything. Danoyse likes you so from here on out I'm just gonna ignore your posts.

Debating your posts gets me infracted every time.
No, what gets you infracted is your attitude, I'm letting you know in advance and openly that I think your time in this section is done.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 11-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #653
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Dude, you don't need to sell me on anything. Danoyse likes you so from here on out I'm just gonna ignore your posts.

No, acting like this gets you infracted all the time. You keep pointing out that you're a grownup, try to act like one when you encounter on opinion that differs from yours.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #654
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
No, what gets you infracted is your attitude, I'm letting you know in advance and openly that I think your time in this section is done.
Do you mods get an SOP of sorts? Never in my life, and I frequent six message boards, have I encountered such a disregard for a reasonable approach to disciplining posters.

This is the third time you publicly threaten me.

Is this your idea of putting fear into members? Members. Remember, people choose to post here.

All I ask is despite your usual approach to moderating, that you cease threatening me & grant me the respect I grant you when addressing me. I'm not a child, so threatening me won't do anything but insult my intelligence.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #655
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
That shot is in X2, it still got the PG-13. They just had to cut away to Iceman shortly after he stabs the soldier. I do think it's entirely possibly to deliver a great Wolverine film without resorting to needless gore and sexual content. A rating doesn't make a movie. You could get all the gore you are so desperate for and the film could end up sucking. I don't see why the quality of this film hinges on how much carnage we get to see.
So you want the guy to do what he does best but you don't want to see it?

Because that's what a PG-13 rating will do. Cut away from every kill.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #656
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

LOL....um, you do realize that if you deserve an infraction, it doesn't matter if we like you or not. You are going to get the infraction. If Danoyse does in fact like Project, then, that just proves it. So, really.....stick to things you know something about. Infraction history, you know nothing about. Move on...

Old 11-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #657
Matt Mortem

Quote:
So you want the guy to do what he does best but you don't want to see it?

Because that's what a PG-13 rating will do. Cut away from every kill.
You don't have to cut away from the kill. The filmmakers will just have to be a bit more creative in how they portray the violence. I know you find it a totally impossible to grasp concept, but ultimately Wolverine is beloved by millions of children. Fox, Marvel, or whoever is not going to alienate an entire demographic to please fans that want to see Wolverine shower himself in blood. It doesn't make good sense to go for an R rating for Wolverine from a purely business point of view. Movies are ultimately a business. If a company is going to pour millions into a film, they're gonna want to guarantee their return. The best way to guarantee it is to make it as accessible as possible. That means we get a PG-13 Wolverine film. That's just the way it goes.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #658
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

It would be nice to get a R rated version of the Wolverine but the best we could possibly hope If for a PG-13 theaterical version and a Unrated DVD/Blu-Ray like Hugh jackman once
suggested.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #659
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
You don't have to cut away from the kill. The filmmakers will just have to be a bit more creative in how they portray the violence. I know you find it a totally impossible to grasp concept, but ultimately Wolverine is beloved by millions of children. Fox, Marvel, or whoever is not going to alienate an entire demographic to please fans that want to see Wolverine shower himself in blood. It doesn't make good sense to go for an R rating for Wolverine from a purely business point of view. Movies are ultimately a business. If a company is going to pour millions into a film, they're gonna want to guarantee their return. The best way to guarantee it is to make it as accessible as possible. That means we get a PG-13 Wolverine film. That's just the way it goes.

I dissagree.

I've brought this up before, BLACK SWAN grossed $107 Million during Awards season with no 3D, a $10 Million budget and an R-rating (for explicit sex, violence and themes).

If a movie is great, people will watch it. Neutering the movie to cater to broader demographics doesn't help it but rather harms it.

That's what happened to Origins. FOX thought they should aim it at kids. Look what happened.

$150 Million budget. $180 Million Domestic.

People went to watch the animal. The weapon. $85 million worth of people that were misled during opening weekend. Hence the poor legs the film had afterwards.

You make a Wolverine movie that isn't watered down & people will storm the theaters. That's why FOX went with Aronofsky - who wrote brutal, R-rated film.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #660
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Do you mods get an SOP of sorts? Never in my life, and I frequent six message boards, have I encountered such a disregard for a reasonable approach to disciplining posters.

This is the third time you publicly threaten me.

Is this your idea of putting fear into members? Members. Remember, people choose to post here.

All I ask is despite your usual approach to moderating, that you cease threatening me & grant me the respect I grant you when addressing me. I'm not a child, so threatening me won't do anything but insult my intelligence.
I'm not threatening you, I'm just telling you how it is and I am not doing it behind the scenes I am doing it up front because there is no secret behind why. You have been nothing but trouble in every section you frequent, this is not a case of us just noticing you, it's a case of the final straw is crushing that old camel's spine.

You don't treat anyone with respect so I find it ironic how you are trying to demand it. I have done nothing but openly tell you to change your attitude, you have been warned over and over but do not heed it. I don't know if it's arrogance or that you just aren't as intelligent as you like to think you are, but somehow the message is not getting through to you.
So here it is clear, knock your attiude off or you will be banned from this section.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 11-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #661
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Its the other way around.

Wolverine can't function in the PG-13 realm.

Maybe when he's sharing screentime with the X-Men, but not when he's on his own fighting Yakuza & The Hand.

Hell, even X2 got an R-rating originally because of the kitchen scene.

Wolverine is synonymous with blood, carnage and rage. Those are not PG-13 permitted themes.
Financially, less people would probably see Wolverine if it was R-rated. And may hinder the film from doing well and hinder the guarantee of future films. Wolverine isn't Watchmen.

Quote:
I agree. Wolverine doesn't need gore and sex to be a good film. PG-13 will do just fine.
Indeed! Although that Uncaged version of the Wolverine Origins video game was pretty sweet lol.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #662
Matt Mortem

Quote:
I dissagree.

I've brought this up before, BLACK SWAN grossed $107 Million during Awards season with no 3D, a $10 Million budget and an R-rating (for explicit sex, violence and themes).

If a movie is great, people will watch it. Neutering the movie to cater to broader demographics doesn't help it but rather harms it.

That's what happened to Origins. FOX thought they should aim it at kids. Look what happened.

$150 Million budget. $180 Million Domestic.

People went to watch the animal. The weapon. $85 million worth of people that were misled during opening weekend. Hence the poor legs the film had afterwards.

You make a Wolverine movie that isn't watered down & people will storm the theaters.
I don't understand what the point of this argument is. You are demanding the studio make an R rated Wolverine, which will never ever ever ever ever ever happen. The character is too loved and idolized by too many children and young adults. An R rated Wolverine film means it's less accessible to the under 17 demographic. The entire point to my argument is it's business. Fox is running a business. They want to target as wide a demographic as humanly possible, and that's what they're doing. I've seen plenty of PG-13 movies that weren't watered down R rated films. There's plenty for a filmmaker to work with within the confines of a PG-13 rating.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #663
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I'm not threatening you, I'm just telling you how it is and I am not doing it behind the scenes I am doing it up front because there is no secret behind why. You have been nothing but trouble in every section you frequent, this is not a case of us just noticing you, it's a case of the final straw is crushing that old camel's spine.

You don't treat anyone with respect so I find it ironic how you are trying to demand it. I have done nothing but openly tell you to change your attitude, you have been warned over and over but do not heed it. I don't know if it's arrogance or that you just aren't as intelligent as you like to think you are, but somehow the message is not getting through to you.
So here it is clear, knock your attiude off or you will be banned from this section.
The only reason I've been "trouble" in this section is that Danoyse has a problem with me. She's already banned me before & I'm 100% she'll be happy to see me go.

You're completely wrong about me treating people with no respect. If that were true, I wouldn't talk to so many posters via PM as I do here. In fact, if you go through my post history I rarely argue with anyone except Danoyse. Go read through my posts. You'll find 90% are part of respectful debates. The other 10% are me getting my head chewed by Danoyse for being a snob.

Look, frankly, I can already tell you're not going to be impartial about this. I keep giving you legitimate statements on why I am undeserving of this treatment but you seem dead set on making an example out of me.

I'm tired of coming here already. Danoyse made this place inhabitable for me since day 1 and I see none of the mods here are willing to evaluate how she systematically damaged my reputation over time to the point where more mods are accusing me of behavior I haven't demonstrated.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #664
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
The only reason I've been "trouble" in this section is that Danoyse has a problem with me. She's already banned me before & I'm 100% she'll be happy to see me go.

You're completely wrong about me treating people with no respect. If that were true, I wouldn't talk to so many posters via PM as I do here. In fact, if you go through my post history I rarely argue with anyone except Danoyse. Go read through my posts. You'll find 90% are part of respectful debates. The other 10% are me getting my head chewed by Danoyse for being a snob.

Look, frankly, I can already tell you're not going to be impartial about this. I keep giving you legitimate statements on why I am undeserving of this treatment but you seem dead set on making an example out of me.

I'm tired of coming here already. Danoyse made this place inhabitable for me since day 1 and I see none of the mods here are willing to evaluate how she systematically damaged my reputation over time to the point where more mods are accusing me of behavior I haven't demonstrated.
You really actually believe this? I have seen all sorts of posters come and go over the years but I've frankly never met one so utterly convinced he's being picked on and does nothing wrong. I've read so many of your posts, I've seen the attitude you've took with Jen and frankly I am shocked she has put up with you so long. It's ironic again that you have this paranoia about her when in truth it's her being the very opposite of what you claim that has allowed you to remain here, most of the rest of the staff would not have tolerated you this long.

You have a choice, look in the mirror and actually be honest with yourself, or don't, keep going as you are and I can guarentee you that when this movie hits cinema screens you'll be a distant memory.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #665
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

I'm against R rated Woverine or Batman.If you want an unrated DVD version,that's one thing.But I could do without excessive sex/gore in my movies.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #666
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Eh I wouldn't mind an R rated Wolverine. I bet they could pull it off. With buzz and if it's a real good movie then it will make lots of money. But they could always release an unrated or R version on DVD. How well did Prometheus do?

Old 11-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #667
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

The problem is that Wolverine is very popular among those under 17 and kids are responsible for a lot business and repeat business. Part of what makes The Avengers a 1.6 billion dollar success is that it's a FAMILY movie. You can get away with a R Rated film for a more mature, less well-known character like Wade Wilson or Frank Castle, but not Logan. Just look at all the Wolverine toys.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #668
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

No, you're attitude is what brings attention to you. You bully people on here and think yourself invincible. And it is for your attitude that I am banning you. Goodbye Alexei. You can go try and bully people on your other forums you frequent. Enjoy.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #669
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
The problem is that Wolverine is very popular among those under 17 and kids are responsible for a lot business and repeat business. Part of what makes The Avengers a 1.6 billion dollar success is that it's a FAMILY movie. You can get away with a R Rated film for a more mature, less well-known character like Wade Wilson or Frank Castle, but not Logan. Just look at all the Wolverine toys.
True. They will loose some money. I would have no problem with an R rated Wolverine as long as its not going into exploitation territory. If Wanted and Blade can be a hit so can an R Rated Wolverine.

Kids are gonna beg there parents to see Deadpool when that comes out in 2040. The characters gotten huge between video games and youtubers.

Last edited by def28; 11-02-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #670
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Shame. I don't think he crossed the line myself, certainly not in this thread. If someone rubs me the wrong way I just ignore them. Just like in life. We get frustrated and passionate as fans sometimes, that just makes it interesting, no? Banning was way too harsh a judgement. I understand you need to keep order, but this is pushing it too far imo.

Hope he can find his way back on down the line (assuming he would want to).

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 11-02-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #671
psyonic
X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
Shame. I don't think he crossed the line myself, certainly not in this thread. If someone rubs me the wrong way I just ignore them. Just like in life. We get frustrated and passionate as fans sometimes, that just makes it interesting, no? Banning was way too harsh a judgement. I understand you need to keep order, but this is pushing it too far imo.

Hope he can find his way back on down the line (assuming he would want to).
It's how it works around here unfortunately, I've been given infractions for speaking up to moderators because they actually tell people what they can or cannot say i.e. expressing their opinion. One accused me of trying to start a "little rebellion". Also I typed a "bad word", not at someone, not to offend anyone but just a way of expressing how I felt, that also got me an infraction for "inappropriate language". My favourite reason, out of all the rest, is "insubordination" .. LOL but seriously, I just skip over the posts by people who rub me the wrong way because this is the internet, who cares it's not a legit place to get mad or exercise authority over other people.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #672
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
Banning was way too harsh a judgement.
For nearly two years of near constant trolling people? No way.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 11-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #673
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Just to be clear here: Alexei has been given multiple warnings and infractions in other sections of this forum besides this one (and not by me, no matter how me liked to claim so), and a probation. He was given plenty of chances to improve his attitude towards other posters, but decided not to do so.

Maybe you didn't think he was "that bad", but we have a ton of reports from members of this forum - again, not just from this section, and not from mods - that say otherwise.

He didn't get infracted, warned, or banned because of his opinion. It was his complete inability (again, not just on this forum) to deal with an opinion besides his own without having a total breakdown during which he would incessantly insult others, and continue doing it after repeatedly being told to stop. So, enough was enough.

We have rules here. Foul language is not permitted, so if you put one here (whether it was directed at someone or not), you're going to get infracted for it. That's how it goes.

Opinions are more than welcome. But if you can't agree to disagree with someone without resorting to insults and nastiness, and continue to do it after being told to stop, then you're going to face the consequences for it. That's just how it goes.

If following simple rules aren't your thing, you're welcome to leave.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #674
Project862006
Banned User

^ agree the mods had to make a separate thread because he did nothing but talk about darren's script

had he stopped posting about 6 posts earlier and quit digging his grave and bad mouthing mods he may still be here

Old 11-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #675
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Exactly Whiskey, he has had 2 years worth of warnings, plenty of time for anyone to see the error of their ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
It's how it works around here unfortunately, I've been given infractions for speaking up to moderators because they actually tell people what they can or cannot say i.e. expressing their opinion. One accused me of trying to start a "little rebellion". Also I typed a "bad word", not at someone, not to offend anyone but just a way of expressing how I felt, that also got me an infraction for "inappropriate language". My favourite reason, out of all the rest, is "insubordination" .. LOL but seriously, I just skip over the posts by people who rub me the wrong way because this is the internet, who cares it's not a legit place to get mad or exercise authority over other people.
The problem was you were rude and obnoxious in "expressing yourself" and that isn't acceptable here. Bamf was very lenient with you given what a huge pain you were, and insubordination is simply the technical term for learn to quit while you are ahead, something I see you are still struggling with. The infractrion for inapproriate language was because we have a censor here, when you bypass it you get infracted, the fact you couldn't grasp this is not our fault. 95% of the posters on this site log in each day and have civil dicussions with never a bit of bother, but there are always wannabe johnny rebels who think they are within their rights to talk down to and harrass other posters, ignore the rules and then whine that they are victimized when they are punished.

Last edited by Hunter Rider; 11-02-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Closed Thread