The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #76
herolee10
Ultimate Hero
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,069
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

I'm not sure if it was ever discussed here awhile back, but has anyone ever wondered if the title "The Dark Knight Rises" ever referred to both Bruce and Blake given the latter's ascension towards inheriting the legacy?

herolee10 is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #77
batfreakforever
A real fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 321
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I'm not sure if it was ever discussed here awhile back, but has anyone ever wondered if the title "The Dark Knight Rises" ever referred to both Bruce and Blake given the latter's ascension towards inheriting the legacy?
That was exactly what i thought after watching the film. When robin rose on the platform i thought yes the dark knight rises indeed.

batfreakforever is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #78
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,877
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Definitely. The final shots are always chosen specifically to be followed by the title card, so I think that was definitely the intent.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #79
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,586
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

I still say its pretty damn obvious Blake becomes Batman and not Robin or Nightwing.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #80
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,068
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Im still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that Nolan spends two films on bruce only to give us another origin story in the third and make a self created character batman. I like the film but its still a wtf.

Marvolo is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #81
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,586
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

It's because the point of Nolan's Batman films is that Batman exists more as a symbol than a singular person.

The point of the entire series was how Bruce birthed the symbol, but then was able to let it go and allow it to pass onto another person. The trilogy's more about the Batman legacy than Bruce himself.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #82
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,068
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
It's because the point of Nolan's Batman films is that Batman exists more as a symbol than a singular person.

The point of the entire series was how Bruce birthed the symbol, but then was able to let it go and allow it to pass onto another person. The trilogy's more about the Batman legacy than Bruce himself.
Which is funny because for the first two films in interviews Nolan would say this is Bruce's trilogy more than Batman's. Heck he was saying that in interviews during TDKR's production. It isnt to say it cant do both things, but in hindsight, i wish he had been less concerned with giving us his ending and more concerned with making a great flick.

__________________
The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #83
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,877
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

I think the trilogy is about both Bruce Wayne, the man, and the legend he births. TDKR deals with both heavily. I think the title refers to several things:

-Batman "rising" after years of exile
-Bruce Wayne rising/coming back to life (aka Bruce's literal rise from the pit)
-Batman's legend rising with Blake/Blake ascending to the mantle of Gotham's protector

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #84
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,602
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

What the hell ? Rises is nothing but a Bruce movie. Blake is a reflection of our main character actions. He's the clear personification of what the trilogy builds upon. Its such a simple tool of narratives.

I love Rises , but it adopts a very classical approach to storytelling. Yes he uses some elliptical form , but Bruce's journey is so explicit in it.

Another origin story ...wow. What movie is that ?

And i remember reading about some redundancy in the director's style. Imagine if it wasn't ...

Tequilla is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #85
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,068
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
What the hell ? Rises is nothing but a Bruce movie. Blake is a reflection of our main character actions. He's the clear personification of what the trilogy builds upon. Its such a simple tool of narratives.

I love Rises , but it adopts a very classical approach to storytelling. Yes he uses some elliptical form , but Bruce's journey is so explicit in it.

Another origin story ...wow. What movie is that ?

And i remember reading about some redundancy in the director's style. Imagine if it wasn't ...
To say Blake doesnt have an origin story in this movie is a gross understatement.

__________________
The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #86
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I still say its pretty damn obvious Blake becomes Batman and not Robin or Nightwing.
Definitely.

It makes no other sense for Bruce to fix the Bat signal.

Just because he has Robin in his name or the fact that Robin soon becomes Nightwing as he's older doesn't really add to anything when this story is about Batman and passing the mantle down. Robin John Blake HAS to still be Batman for the story to make any sense.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #87
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,586
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
It isnt to say it cant do both things, but in hindsight, i wish he had been less concerned with giving us his ending and more concerned with making a great flick.
That's pretty much just supposition on your part, though.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #88
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,602
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
To say Blake doesnt have an origin story in this movie is a gross understatement.
It depends on the definition. But Blake definitely follows a path during the course of the story. You say that is an origin. Ok.

But the center of the movie is not the origin, much less that character. Blake exists so that Bruce's actions is reflected on something.

You said "Im still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that Nolan spends two films on bruce only to give us another origin story in the third and make a self created character batman"

That boggles my mind , because he spent a whole movie (Rises) around Bruce Wayne. Not to give us another origin story. Maybe its a just a bad interpretation of your post by me (sorry , im not english native)

Tequilla is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #89
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,586
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Blake's origin and involvement was just as complimentarily and necessary to Bruce's character progression as the original Robin was.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #90
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,068
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
That's pretty much just supposition on your part, though.
Not really. Like i said i would have rather Nolan make a great film, which it isn't, than try to force an ending to Bruce's story. Its a burdened somewhat sloppy film that was drowning under the weight of trying to wrap up the story.

Take Blake, he needed that character to allow Bruce to have an ending. Then he takes that character and gives him a convoluted back story forcing them to input an 8 year gap inbetween tdk and tdkr because otherwise blake wouldnt be old enough in the film. The eight year gap strains credulity within the character of batman. Then there is the problem of Blake figuring out Batman is bruce all from a look bruce gave him. This of course making every other character look inept due to them having much more evidence batman is bruce but never putting it together. And then there is Nolan giving him the name Robin despitw him becoming batman leaving the general populace to think he is robin or that the film is setting up a sequel that will never come. It was just sloppy.

Has Nolan come out and said why he gave Blake the name Robin besides being a pointless bone?

__________________
The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 11-04-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Marvolo is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #91
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,586
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

It really wasn't all that sloppy, but okay.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #92
Travesty
Feelin it in my bones!
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In the Robin John Blake Cave
Posts: 13,430
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

I thought it was kinda sloppy, but okay.

__________________
"Eh ohs, oh ehs, nobody knows how angry we's orphans get and stuff. We feel it in our bones!"

"Eh ohs, I put on a smiley face mask and stuff. That ways, I can see faces"

-Robin John Blake
Travesty is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #93
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,586
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Are we five?

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #94
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,068
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
It really wasn't all that sloppy, but okay.
Did you even read what i wrote. Creating an 8 year gap that doesnt work within the characterization of batman so that a character can grow up so that said character can give bruce an ending. Naming him robin when he is batman. Having that character discover our heros identity from a single look and yet conveniently no one else can figure it out.

Then there is Talias character and plot which is also broken entirely by the eight year gap which as said was only necessary because blake had to be old enough to do what the story required.




That is sloppy if i ever saw it.

__________________
The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 11-04-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Marvolo is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #95
Travesty
Feelin it in my bones!
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In the Robin John Blake Cave
Posts: 13,430
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Are we five?
"We"? I'm not, are you?

__________________
"Eh ohs, oh ehs, nobody knows how angry we's orphans get and stuff. We feel it in our bones!"

"Eh ohs, I put on a smiley face mask and stuff. That ways, I can see faces"

-Robin John Blake
Travesty is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #96
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,602
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

The 8 year gap doesn't work ? Why ?

It exists so a character can grow up ? Were you one of the script supervisors or something ? That is some knowledgeable information

The problem is the name ...Robin ? Hmm.....

General populace , sequels...the problem is , what does any of that have to do with the story of Rises ? Or its sloppiness ?

Tequilla is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #97
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.
 
Pfeiffer-Pfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 8,953
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Isn't Robin a girls name anyway?

I don't know, the whole Blake thing will probably never sit right with me. It's the one element of Nolan's trilogy that makes it less than perfect.

__________________
Michelle Pfeiffer:
Cool Rider, Catwoman, Diamond and all round Goddess
http://pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com/

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #98
Kane52630
Deadcruiser
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 62,198
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Are we five?
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
Starve the Ego Feed the Soul
Kane52630 is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #99
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,586
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Isn't Robin a girls name anyway?
Not always.


__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #100
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,586
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Did you even read what i wrote. Creating an 8 year gap that doesnt work within the characterization of batman so that a character can grow up so that said character can give bruce an ending. Naming him robin when he is batman. Having that character discover our heros identity from a single look and yet conveniently no one else can figure it out.

Then there is Talias character and plot which is also broken entirely by the eight year gap which as said was only necessary because blake had to be old enough to do what the story required.

That is sloppy if i ever saw it.
Yes, I did read it. But that doesn't mean it made any legitimate sense.

The eight year gap served a lot more purpose to the overall story - and Bruce as a character - than just to weave Blake's origin in. I'm sorry, if you weren't able to catch that, but I saw it pretty plainly.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.