The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episodes IV - VI

Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #26
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

Default Re: Return of the Jedi Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
They weren't exactly *friends*, though. The way Han talks about him before they meet in ESB and the EU stuff (if you accept it, of course) alludes to them being... "occasional colleagues".
"Well,I don't trust him either,but he is my friend."

I think from what we know in the films Han thought of Lando as something of a con-man,but not someone to fear would kill you for a nickle.

In other words,don't trust him with your date or wallet,but otherwise he's harmless.

And I don't except the EU.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #27
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
There's no repercussions, that's what I'm saying. Not one little scene or even a friggin' line that deals with it. No matter how close friends are, when crap like that goes down, a guy like Han wants answers from Lando himself, not just "trust him" because he's there. Maybe like on the floating barge, Han can whisper to Chewie how he still doesn't trust Lando, and Chewie being defensive about it.

What I'm saying is..it would've been nice to see some sort of line of dialog to close that arc from Empire. Even if Han teased Lando right before he lends him the Falcon at that Rebel base/ship. A throwaway line. Something would suffice. We can't just assume it.
I don't have the same feeling over this,but I have a similar feeling about AotC.I was really hoping for some kind of bond between Anakin & Owan.That way,when ANH comes around you can understand Owen's resentment of Ben.

But basically,they had little to say to each other.
"How's it goin?"
"Mind if I borrow your bike?"
"I'll be taking my droid."
"Bye."

Old 11-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #28
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochimus View Post
I've never had Ewok Hate either TBH - sure, their purpose as merchandise generators is pretty apparent and always has been, but I was never particularly troubled by that even when they REALLY became the thrust of the franchise's marketing going into the mid-'80s trying to keep it on store shelves Post-OT (b'sides, I'd already moved on to the Transformers by that point). In fact, considering how arrogant and pompous the Empire is portrayed up to that point, when their command officers put their noses up at each other and the perfectly-modulated way the phrase "You Rebel scum!" rolls off their lips with expert precision, I think it's just glorious that they got owned by a bunch of teddy bears with sharp pointy sticks.

Oh, and Ep. VI also gets points not only for finally showing us Jabba, but for Luke having become a total bad^$$ in black. I just like the comparison as it replays in my head...

Ep. IV Luke: "But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!"
Ep. VI Luke: "You're gravely mistaken. Soon I'll be dead. And YOU with me."

Ep. VI gets a bum rap IMO. The only really weak point in it I can find is the whole "second Death Star" thing, but even that's not enough to deter my enjoyment of it.
That never bothered me.That's like the first army to build a tank.If the enemy blows it up,would they just go "oh well,That was a failed idea." or would they try to make a better one next time?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #29
Octoberist
point blank

I wish they would allude to another Death Star in 'Empire'. I know it's still in construction in 'Jedi' but that thing is huge still.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #30
DCW
Side-Kick

I don't know why, but I have always really really love this poster.

I always loved how the second Death Star was only partially complete. Very visually interesting and the way the ships dove into it in the end amazes me every time.

DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #31
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

They don't make movie posters like that anymore. Classic.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:28 AM   #32
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
"Well,I don't trust him either,but he is my friend."

I think from what we know in the films Han thought of Lando as something of a con-man,but not someone to fear would kill you for a nickle.

In other words,don't trust him with your date or wallet,but otherwise he's harmless.
There are lines that are meant to inform you of something, but that doesn't mean they can persuade you, too. They oversimplified their relationship in RotJ to get on with their respective missions.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:29 AM   #33
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I thought the 2nd DS was puss as an idea, but visually it was breathtaking, much more so than the one in ANH.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #34
Octoberist
point blank

May I add that despite Harrison Ford not wanting to be in Return of the Jedi and having apathy towards the series, at least he retained the charm and twinkle of the Han that we all love in RotJ.

Unlike Sean Connery who was in the same situation as with Bond, but looked bored and apathetic in the later Bond movies.

Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #35
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

ROTJ is my favorite of the OT for one simple reason: it was the 1st time Luke Skywalker came off like a legitimate hero. He spent ANH and ESB constantly whining and throwing temper tantrums.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #36
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

while empire is my fav star wars and film, ROTJ may have some of the best individual scenes in all of film. The scene where Vader threatens Leia and Luke attacks up to where he tells the emperor he is a Jedi to me is the greatest scene ever filmed cause it has so much emotion, history and resolution in like a 3 min scene.

Also I have heard alot of people say Han did nothing but you did she character devlopment from him. I mean he was ready to leave the rebels in Empire and be a loner agai, but the scene where he gets mad at leia for not telling him whats wrong and starts to walk away only to come back and apologize showed a major change from where Han was at the beginning of the series.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:35 AM   #37
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Agreed on that.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #38
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Predator View Post
ROTJ is my favorite of the OT for one simple reason: it was the 1st time Luke Skywalker came off like a legitimate hero. He spent ANH and ESB constantly whining and throwing temper tantrums.
While I 300% disagree that he was whiny and was throwing temper tandrums (I think that's oversimplification, one which reminds me of how people bash Anakin's writing), I agree that Luke in RotJ is the reason why I think he's my favorite SW character of all.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #39
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

H.E.
TheDreamMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #40
LegendAssemble
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Predator View Post
Well I guess we know you didn't watch those two movies.

LegendAssemble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #41
Lord
All Mighty

The best thing about RotJ was Luke, but i still don't think it was as good as Empire.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #42
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

I've always been much more partial to this poster. Does anyone know the artist behind this poster and the one above? They don't quite look like Struzan.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #43
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
I've always been much more partial to this poster. Does anyone know the artist behind this poster and the one above? They don't quite look like Struzan.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Yeah that poster is definitely my favorite ROTJ poster.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #44
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

I love Jabba's Lair, Ewoks, the speeder chase, and Vader's redemption.

All are among my favorite moments in Star Wars.

I used to have the knee jerk reaction to ROTJ and consider the weakest of the OT but now I appreciate how great it is based on the individual set pieces. It's officially my favorite Star Wars movie.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #45
Brother Jack
Confirmed Casual

Jedi has some of the best moments of the trilogy and some of the worst. So it's a bit of a mixed bag and not as a good as its predecessors, but it's still a very good movie. I mean, there are few movies that are at the level that Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back are so it's hardly a damning criticism.

Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #46
Soapy
It's happening again...

Return of the Jedi would probably be my favorite if it wasn't for that damn musical scene.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #47
Hellion
The Hype's Disney XD Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Return of the Jedi would probably be my favorite if it wasn't for that damn musical scene.

Lapti Nek or Jedi Rocks

Honestly...I like the Lapti Nek scene...I wish they would do away with Jedi Rocks and maybe edit some of the SE stuff from the scene into the original...(somehow fit everything but CGI Sy Snootles...)

Return of the Jedi is my personal favorite of the OT and entire Saga (and I love all the movies OT...PT...CW...). I generally agree with the criticism the film gets but...heck, I may have my rose tinted glasses on with this one.

One thing, I like the look of Palpatine so much more in this than ROTS. The make-up/look was too mask-y/fake in appearance in ROTS...my opinion of course.

Thank you for your vote, Hellion. (now I'd vote for you! :) )
Hellion...Sagittarius...half man, half horse.
Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #48
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendAssemble View Post
Well I guess we know you didn't watch those two movies.
I can't even count how many times I've seen the OT. I can almost recite the dialogue verbatim.

From the time Luke first mewled "But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!", to throwing his little teenie bopper fit on Dagobah (" Oh, I don't even know what I'm doing here! We're wasting our time!") to his girlish scream when Vader told him he was Luke's father...yeah, there's more than enough evidence to call Luke a whiner. There were very good reasons that Yoda didn't want to train him.

Now the Luke in ROTJ was still hotheaded and impulsive, but that was counterbalanced by a comtemplative maturity.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #49
Victarion
Cut

Would you say Luke in ROTJ was more Qui-Gon and less Ben Kenobi at the beginning?

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #50
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
One thing, I like the look of Palpatine so much more in this than ROTS. The make-up/look was too mask-y/fake in appearance in ROTS...my opinion of course.
I definitely agree with that, though I'm fine with it in Revenge of the Sith because the scarring or whatever that's supposed to be is "fresh", but if I remember correctly they use the same makeup for that insert they shot for The Empire Strikes Back.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote