Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #11
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: The (potential) Masters of Evil thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Loki is already Thanos' lackey. The story of how Thanos used Loki as his surrogate in seeking to obtain the Tesseract provided the subtext in The Avengers. Loki owes Thanos everything: his life, his scepter and the army he used to try to capture the Tesseract and conquer the Earth. Had Thanos not pulled Loki out of the void he would have died; had Thanos not given him power and an army he would never have been able to invade the Earth. Now that Loki has failed to fulfill his end of his bargain with the Mad Titan, he ought to be looking over his shoulder every second, in fear of the retribution that The Other promised.

In TA2 I hope we'll see all of Loki's chickens come home to roost in the form of an enraged Thanos seeking revenge. It's impossible to imagine that Thanos won't want to punish the Jotun traitor for failing him. Loki is a great villain, who deserves great suffering for his crimes. Hopefully we will see Loki tormented the way Gamora was, or at the very least enslaved like Mephisto, when Thanos finally gets around to dealing with Loki's failure.
Sorry, but that's a total misinterpretation of the relationship of Loki to Thanos in Avengers. The Other refers to Loki as an "ally," not a slave. The Other tells Loki he can have "his" (Loki's) war --- it's not a war that Thanos planned.

Quote:
[first lines]
The Other: The Tesseract has awakened. It is on a little world. A human world. They would wield its power, but our ally knows its workings as they never will. He is ready to lead. And our force, our Chitauri, will follow. The world will be his. The universe yours. And the humans, what can they do but burn?

The Other: The Chitauri grow restless.
Loki: Let them go at themselves. I will lead them into glorious battle.
The Other: Battle? Against the meager might of Earth?
Loki: Glorious, not lengthy. If your force is as formidable as you claim.
The Other: You question us? You question HIM? He, who put the scepter in your hand, who gave you ancient knowledge and new purpose when you were cast out, defeated?
Loki: I was a king, the rightful king of Asgard! Betrayed!
The Other: Your ambition is little, born of childish need. We look beyond the Earth to greater worlds the Tesseract will unveil.
Loki: You don't have the Tesseract yet. I don't threaten, but until I open the doors, until your force is mine to command, you are but words.
The Other: You will have your war, Asgardian. If you fail, if the Tesseract is kept from us, there will be no realm, no barren moon, no crevice where he can't find you. You think you know pain? He will make you long for something as sweet as pain.

The Other: Humans... They are not the cowering wretches we were promised. They stand. They are unruly, and therefore cannot be ruled. To challenge them is to court death.
Loki came up with the plan to conquer Earth on his own, and he *asked* Thanos for the Chitauri, using the Cube as a bargaining chip. As far as Loki is concerned, they negotiated as equals; as far as Thanos is concerned, Loki is just some happy cosmic accident who stumbled onto his doorstep and might prove useful in Thanos' designs on Asgard --- but he is unworthy of Thanos' direct attention, so all the negotiations are handled by proxy through The Other.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote