talk about throwing his new power lol

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #102
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: Matthew Vaughn Is NOT Helming X-Men: First Class Sequel - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I am already disliking Mark Millar's consulting contribution to FOX's Marvel movies so far. He was hired to be the creative consultant and then a few weeks later, Matthew Vaughn gave up on being the director of DOFP to do Mark Millar's movie! Ugh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Yep! Not exactly fighting in the X-Men corner is he? Unless he has not had much of a warm welcome from the existing producers/writers. I wonder how they reacted to the news he was coming on board.
It does seem like he just dropped out of FC2 at the drop of a hat to do another movie which doesnt sound anywere near as interesting. Very strange considering FC is his best movie so far. He obviously wasnt as committed to X-Men as we would have liked.

Makes me wonder how much of FC was actually his considering how quickly and easily he dropped the sequel.

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #103
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
It does seem like he just dropped out of FC2 at the drop of a hat to do another movie which doesnt sound anywere near as interesting. Very strange considering FC is his best movie so far. He obviously wasnt as committed to X-Men as we would have liked.

Makes me wonder how much of FC was actually his considering how quickly and easily he dropped the sequel.
He's notorious for dropping out of things, though. At one point he walked away from First Class too. And of course, his 'contract expired' on Thor and he bailed on X3 and on Kick-Ass 2.

But I'd be interested to hear what Vaughn himself originally had in mind for the sequel. I'm sure he'll be asked about it at some point and maybe he will tell us (though Josh Schwartz has never ever revealed what was in his script for X-Men First Class before Singer came on board).

Chat to me on Twitter @ TheGeekFiles
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #104
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:

Well considering that Fox is known for tight deadlines and being very difficult for directors to work with, there's no way of knowning why he moved on. It's also important to remember that every X-Men film has been rushed into production. Creative people don't like being rushed to deliver a product just for the sake of getting it out.

I'm really surprised at the people just willing to write Vaughn off when it comes to First Class. If you really can't tell how much of the film was his then you need watch Singer's X-Men and First Class back to back. There are two totally different styles of filmmaking at work in those films. Vaughn is also on record as saying that he made the X-Men film "he" wanted make.

Alex Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #105
Project862006
Banned User

vaughn was signed on to direct sequel since january damn near almost a year ago lol

and hasn't done a film since first class he had plenty of time

Old 11-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #106
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

I wonder if he's still going to rewrite the movie with Jane Goldman. If not, I could see Bryan Singer rewriting the script.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #107
Angamb
Banned User

Im sure Matthew realized at some point that Singer was as excited and involved on this sequel as him and then when Mark and him learnt about those other scripts with similar idea to their new movie, Matthew talked to Singer and both agreed to swift roles. And after that, they talked to Fox.

highly doubt Matthew went to Fox first and said: sorry, guys, I dont want to do this sequel.

Last edited by Angamb; 11-08-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #108
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wonder if he's still going to rewrite the movie with Jane Goldman. If not, I could see Bryan Singer rewriting the script.
He already is...demanded by...other factors...which are part of the reason for the behind-the-scenes hubbub... and Donner's comments about the script 'not being finished yet'...when they began working on story ideas over a year ago...it's just not those story ideas they're developing now!

And Millar having the 'power' to 'pull' Vaughn from X-Men over to one of his vanity projects? Pardon my candid demeanor, but don't make me laugh...

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
JackMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #109
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

I just don't have faith with Simon Kinberg writing DOFP. Matthew Vaughn is not directing the movie anymore, so maybe there are less chances that he (and Jane Goldman) will do rewrites for the script of DOFP. So right now I'm hoping someone would rewrite the script.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #110
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
vaughn was signed on to direct sequel since january damn near almost a year ago lol

and hasn't done a film since first class he had plenty of time
Yeah so? We don't have any idea what was going on behind the scenes with Fox.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #111
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
I just don't have faith with Simon Kinberg writing DOFP. Matthew Vaughn is not directing the movie anymore, so maybe there are less chances that he (and Jane Goldman) will do rewrites for the script of DOFP. So right now I'm hoping someone would rewrite the script.
Im sure Simon script this time is much better than the X3 one, specially having ideas from Matthew and Jane, and now with Singer on board, he could sign one of his past writers, so the final script will have quality, definetly.

Bryan wouldnt shoot a movie with a horrible script, and less such an epic movie like Days of future.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #112
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

As far as I'm aware the last story was that Vaughn might still produce DoFP, so it could be that he's not leaving the project entirely and is still involved in writing. And I've seen no news about Jane Goldman leaving, they're not siamese twins or something

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #113
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I'm kinda hoping the two writers that delivered that excellent script for X2 were working on this.

And never been a fan of Mark "Hey, look at me!" Millar.

EnDz0n3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #114
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
I have said many times here, Vaughn was never interested in the X-Men as a team. He was interested in Magneto and Magneto only. The X-Men, even Charles, were only supporting characters to a Magneto story. And Vaughn was in love with the idea of turning him into Bondneto. Maybe with this new project he'll finally have his childhood dreams fulfilled.

I never read a Vaughn interview in which he talked with enthusiasm about any X-Men member; his only mentions of Charles were that he was "boring", "dull" and "just a teacher in a wheelchair". We know how much Singer loves Wolverine, but at least we never saw him calling the other X-Men "boring". As much as I enjoyed FC, I'll always resent Vaughn for it.

I really hope that Bryan will take some of the excessive focus on Magneto that we saw in FC and allow the X-Men team to shine. I think he knows that there are some amazing actors and characters waiting for this.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #115
Angamb
Banned User

yeah.

I think Bryan will give us something interesting regarding Charles this time, more Emma too. And then the xteam. He has young Beast just turnt a mutant, so he has material there, and with Havok and Banshee...... it will be interesting to see what Bryan will do with them.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #116
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
I have said many times here, Vaughn was never interested in the X-Men as a team. He was interested in Magneto and Magneto only. The X-Men, even Charles, were only supporting characters to a Magneto story. And Vaughn was in love with the idea of turning him into Bondneto. Maybe with this new project he'll finally have his childhood dreams fulfilled.

I never read a Vaughn interview in which he talked with enthusiasm about any X-Men member; his only mentions of Charles were that he was "boring", "dull" and "just a teacher in a wheelchair". We know how much Singer loves Wolverine, but at least we never saw him calling the other X-Men "boring". As much as I enjoyed FC, I'll always resent Vaughn for it.

I really hope that Bryan will take some of the excessive focus on Magneto that we saw in FC and allow the X-Men team to shine. I think he knows that there are some amazing actors and characters waiting for this.
Agreed. I really hope they don't give one character most of the focus. That has been the main flaw in all of these films. In the main series, it was Wolverine. In XM:FC, Magneto. Everyone should have some type to develop as a character, even if some do more than others.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #117
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
No, that would be Singer.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #118
Project862006
Banned User

^not really singer developed tons of characters in his 2 films not just wolverine like many fanboys claim

fassebender got the most development in first class it was basically the magneto origin story with some x kids on the side

Old 11-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #119
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Wolverine In X2 didn't even stop Stryker or Magneto's plan.Once they got Into base Wolverine left them,had fight with Deathstrike,confronted Stryker and then helped others escape after Nightcrawler and Storm rescured Xavier.

X-Men and X2 were never just Wolverine.Any ensemble cast you have to pick and choice which ones to focus on.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #120
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
^not really singer developed tons of characters in his 2 films not just wolverine like many fanboys claim.
Yes, really. The focus of his first film was Wolverine, Rogue and maybe Magento. The second was Nightcrawler, Wolverine and maybe Iceman.

Quote:
fassebender got the most development in first class it was basically the magneto origin story with some x kids on the side
And where do you think part of the film came from? Singer.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #121
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Let's be honest here, Wolverine did dominate the previous X-Men films. In some ways, the films needed a character through which to introduce the already-existing X-Men world, but it did sometimes come at the expense of other characters.

What I sometimes can't understand is why a few lines of additional dialogue aren't used for these secondary characters, just to give them a little more meaning. It only takes up a few seconds of screentime for them to say something that defines who they are and why they are doing what they are doing.

Chat to me on Twitter @ TheGeekFiles
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #122
Project862006
Banned User

only character imo who got shafted was cyclops while character like storm and rogue were not like the comics i felt they were developed nicely jean was easily developed alot outside of wolverine/xavier/magneto she got the most screen time

Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #123
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Let's be honest here, Wolverine did dominate the previous X-Men films. In some ways, the films needed a character through which to introduce the already-existing X-Men world, but it did sometimes come at the expense of other characters.
Wolverine did dominate in general, I agree, but I still see X2 (not much X1) as an ensemble. It's amazing how many characters got an interesting development in X2, even the supporting ones; we got so much from them, and sometimes you only need a few minutes to establish a character's personality and purposes.

For example, take Pyro. The character was so intelligently set - we know Pyro from the very first moment we see him. I can't say the same about Havok and Banshee, for example. Although it was cool and all, the idea of turning the training sequence into a montage was not really effective to establish Havok, Banshee, Charles and Hank, as a team, as the X-Men.

Quote:
What I sometimes can't understand is why a few lines of additional dialogue aren't used for these secondary characters, just to give them a little more meaning. It only takes up a few seconds of screentime for them to say something that defines who they are and why they are doing what they are doing.
With this I agree completely; just like I said above, an intelligent script and direction can do it. There's no need to spend hours and hours on a secondary character so that we'll know them. There isn't perfection when you have to deal with so many different characters, but X2 comes very near.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart

Last edited by Loganbabe; 11-09-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #124
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

And the Avengers was primary Iron Man and to lesser extext Captain America.

X-Men used wolverine as point of view of audence.Using Rogue to mirrow his story.Magneto and Xavier were most devolped characters.Cyclops,Storm,and even Jean to a little extext weren't devolped much.X2 defently Isn't just Wolverine.WOlverine Is head of ensemble without question but Nightcrawler Is very Important.The nightcrawler/Storm Interaction has more depth than the so called larger role of Storm In Last Stand.Jean Is more Important.Rogue and Iceman have important parts to play.Pyro has his arc.Magneto and mystique are used well.Yes Cyclops got shafted due to story that was told In X2 but Singer's films weren't like the last Stand.Had Singer stayed on as first Class director I am sure we ould have gotten a little more focus on Xavier.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #125
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Wolverine did dominate in general, I agree, but I still see X2 (not much X1) as an ensemble. It's amazing how many characters got an interesting development in X2, even the supporting ones; we got so much from them, and sometimes you only need a few minutes to establish a character's personality and purposes.

For example, take Pyro. The character was so intelligently set - we know Pyro from the very first moment we saw him. I can't say the same about Havok and Banshee, for example. Although it was cool and all, the idea of turning the training sequence into a montage was not really effective to establish Havok, Banshee, Charles and Hank, as a team, as the X-Men.
I'm very interested to see how Bryan Singer will handle the secondary X-Men team members like Havok and Banshee. I feel like he knows to handle smaller characters. Just look at the cameos/smaller roles in the first 2 movies like Iceman in X1, Colossus in X2, Jason and Artie. Even the main villain's henchman like Lady Deathstrike and Mystique in X1 had more personality than Angel Salvadore, Riptide and Azazel. I also believe that if only Bryan directed X3, Colossus' inclusion to the X-Men team would have been way better and he wouldn't just throw some punch and be Wolverine's thrower. Plus Angel could have been X2's Nightcrawler, a new face to the X-Men that will help X-Men in the fight.