The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #26
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings
 
JB-the-Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,750
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Oh, come now --- I never said Ant-Man was going to break big, either. I just said that a Peanuts movie does not scream "bank."
Relevance is irrelevant when it comes to a movie's success, it's not like they're re-releasing an old Peanuts movie in theaters, it's brand new. Look at The Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and The Muppets those are some franchises that returned from the grave out of nowhere.

__________________
Natasha Romanoff - "Are you boys really that naive? S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors potential threats."

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #27
Baramos
Side-Kick
 
Baramos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 818
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

I've never understood the knee-jerk skepticism against the Ant Man movie. I'm actually not a big Marvel fan--I've always followed Spider-Man and X-Men, but didn't really follow the various Avengers properties until Disney started making Iron Man, Captain America, etc.

See, I actually wasn't very excited about Thor. I knew the character's origin and such but that was about it. If it had just been a stand alone movie I might not have even went to see it. You know why I went to see it? Continuity. I knew it fit into the Iron Man and Incredible Hulk continuity. I knew it would preview Captain America at the end.

So I went to see it and really enjoyed it.

I will go see Ant Man because of continuity. That and I'm actually familiar with Ant Man now that I've watched Earth's Mightiest Heroes. But let's say Ant Man had been made in place of Thor. It would have been a similar scenario where I went to see Ant Man just because of continuity, much like I saw Thor because of continuity. At this point I don't plan on missing any of these Disney Marvel movies.

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #28
CaptainCraig
Side-Kick
 
CaptainCraig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 517
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

If they make Ant-Man for $60-75m as is rumored, or has been, it only need do as "well" as Green Lantern anyway. And vs budget that would make Ant-Man a hit.

__________________
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings - Optimus Prime
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
CaptainCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #29
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,821
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
I've never understood the knee-jerk skepticism against the Ant Man movie. I'm actually not a big Marvel fan--I've always followed Spider-Man and X-Men, but didn't really follow the various Avengers properties until Disney started making Iron Man, Captain America, etc.

See, I actually wasn't very excited about Thor. I knew the character's origin and such but that was about it. If it had just been a stand alone movie I might not have even went to see it. You know why I went to see it? Continuity. I knew it fit into the Iron Man and Incredible Hulk continuity. I knew it would preview Captain America at the end.

So I went to see it and really enjoyed it.

I will go see Ant Man because of continuity. That and I'm actually familiar with Ant Man now that I've watched Earth's Mightiest Heroes. But let's say Ant Man had been made in place of Thor. It would have been a similar scenario where I went to see Ant Man just because of continuity, much like I saw Thor because of continuity. At this point I don't plan on missing any of these Disney Marvel movies.
Thor- super strong. Lightning based powers. Bad-ass hammer.
Ant-Man- Shrinks. Talks to ants.

...yeah, I don't think you can claim Ant-Man is on equal footing with Thor in terms of marketability. I love Hank Pym, but on paper, he's more snicker worthy than Aquaman.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,807
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

That's not Ant-Man's only problem:

1. Imagery. Most of the more successful super heroes have a solid, iconic look that you can use to make them instantly recognizable. Ant-Man. . . not so much. He's had a million different appearances in the comics, and none of them are particularly striking.

2. Personality. Most of the successful super heroes have a strong personality hook you can use to sell them as characters. Ant-Man. . . has basically no personality of note in the comics that you would want to even consider using in a movie.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #31
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,233
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
That's not Ant-Man's only problem:

1. Imagery. Most of the more successful super heroes have a solid, iconic look that you can use to make them instantly recognizable. Ant-Man. . . not so much. He's had a million different appearances in the comics, and none of them are particularly striking.

2. Personality. Most of the successful super heroes have a strong personality hook you can use to sell them as characters. Ant-Man. . . has basically no personality of note in the comics that you would want to even consider using in a movie.

A character's look is almost always tweaked for film appearances. In some cases the film versions of their costumes look better than the original comic book ones. Marvel has a very good track record of adapting and improving upon its characters' costumes, and I imagine that Ant-Man will be no different. Ryan Meinerding and the concepts crew have undoubtedly been hard at work coming up with innovative costume designs.


As far as personality is concerned, the film versions of these characters often differ from the comics in significant ways. To take the most famous instance, the Tony Stark moviegoers have come to love is a radical departure from the staid, somewhat boring playboy billionaire comics fans were familiar with. The origin and basic motivations stayed the same, but Stark's behavior and charismatic presence were quite a departure from what came before. I was a major Iron Man fan, but I was pleasantly surprised by his portrayal in the films as a manic genius, haunted by his past failures and driven to protect the public from his own creations. There is no reason why Wright would be bound to make Ant-Man as vanilla and boring as his comics alter-ego if he follows the Iron man example.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #32
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 60,630
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

I suspect Wright may go the somewhat butt monkey route that the comics kind of foisted upon Pym as of late. Somewhat of a loser whose insanely gifted, but even afterwards may still be viewed as such. It wouldn't be out of Wright's realm.

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #33
chamber-music
Hail Hydra
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 24,324
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

I'm not sure about Scott Lang because I haven't read alot of stuff with him but Hank Pym has alot of personality. In the old Avengers comics he was cocky as hell and at times be a wisecracker.

Hank threatened to kick Thor, Hawkeye and Black Panthers ass with in the first few issues of them being Avengers plus he called Reed Richards a b****.






__________________
King Of Strong Style
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #34
Malcolm Belmont
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 106
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

I might see the Peanuts Movie but Ant-Man is going to be much better

Malcolm Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #35
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 44,999
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Hank threatened to kick Thor, Hawkeye and Black Panthers ass with in the first few issues of them being Avengers plus he called Reed Richards a b****.
I love that page.


Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #36
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,821
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I love that page.

Cassie is rather busty for a 14 year old...

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #37
chamber-music
Hail Hydra
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 24,324
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

Comic artists and the female anatomy mix like mix water and oil

__________________
King Of Strong Style
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #38
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,821
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

I wish genetics and the female anatomy mixed that way...

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #39
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 44,999
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

I think 14 year olds with big boobs isn't so unrealistic nowadays.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #40
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,821
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I think 14 year olds with big boobs isn't so unrealistic nowadays.
true. But those are the boobs and butt of a 160 lb black woman on a 100 lb white girl. Possible? Yes. Genetically improbable...absolutely.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #41
Edguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 477
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangconquers View Post
true. But those are the boobs and butt of a 160 lb black woman on a 100 lb white girl. Possible? Yes. Genetically improbable...absolutely.
qft.

Anyways, I always assumed the reason Ant-Man is coming out after TA2 is to introduce him to the GA, and make him more marketable, before the solo flick. A scene with (Gi)Ant-Man kicking ass la Hulk in the "I'm always angry" scene could sell many tickets to the solo film! But I don't really know how the story of Wright's films work with that..


Last edited by Edguy; 11-11-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #42
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

She was 16

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #43
Baramos
Side-Kick
 
Baramos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 818
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Thor- super strong. Lightning based powers. Bad-ass hammer.
Ant-Man- Shrinks. Talks to ants.

...yeah, I don't think you can claim Ant-Man is on equal footing with Thor in terms of marketability. I love Hank Pym, but on paper, he's more snicker worthy than Aquaman.
I meant in terms of people's unfamiliarity with the franchise, not whatever marketing shenanigans they come up with. I'm sure marketing for Ant Man will be a pain in the ass. BUT if they show like, I dunno, Nick Fury talking to Ant Man in the movie and put that in the trailer than people will go, "OH HEY THIS IS ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE AVENGERS MOVIES" and it increases their likelihood of watching it.

Batman probably looked terrible on paper to the people of the '40s, luckily kids read the comic books, loved them, and then when they grew up made the Adam West show and various serials. Familiarity solves all problems--including your guy not having any powers at all, dressing like a bat, and fighting an evil clown.

(Full disclosure: Batman is actually my favorite superhero so don't think this is me pretending I don't enjoy that universe, haha)

On a tangential note, since you bring up his powers, Ant Man's powers make no sense to me, as he can also get larger, and then he has super strength. But when he gets smaller the point is he has the proportional strength of a full sized human. Well when he gets super big he should also only be as strong as a regular sized human, logically, right?

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #44
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,821
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
I meant in terms of people's unfamiliarity with the franchise, not whatever marketing shenanigans they come up with. I'm sure marketing for Ant Man will be a pain in the ass. BUT if they show like, I dunno, Nick Fury talking to Ant Man in the movie and put that in the trailer than people will go, "OH HEY THIS IS ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE AVENGERS MOVIES" and it increases their likelihood of watching it.

Batman probably looked terrible on paper to the people of the '40s, luckily kids read the comic books, loved them, and then when they grew up made the Adam West show and various serials. Familiarity solves all problems--including your guy not having any powers at all, dressing like a bat, and fighting an evil clown.

(Full disclosure: Batman is actually my favorite superhero so don't think this is me pretending I don't enjoy that universe, haha)

On a tangential note, since you bring up his powers, Ant Man's powers make no sense to me, as he can also get larger, and then he has super strength. But when he gets smaller the point is he has the proportional strength of a full sized human. Well when he gets super big he should also only be as strong as a regular sized human, logically, right?

Thor was more famous and popular than Ant-Man too. Just because Thor wasn't Spider-Man didn't mean he was a complete unknown hero. I doubt anyone who doesn't read comics knows who Ant-Man is (or at least did pre-Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.)

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #45
YoungPrime
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 401
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

"Honey I shrunk the kids" wasn't hear of until Disney released it.

No 23 year latter the HUB can't seem to function w/o it.

Not saying that Antman will be anything like that film, only that new films can be successful. Though putting it up against Snoopy could be challenging.

So Fox must pay!

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #46
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

Wow you guys really underestimate Ant-Man. It could work great as a spy-ish type movie especially if the rumors of AIM (which is like an evil corporation in the MCU if IM3 info is anything to go by) are true.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #47
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New Jeruz
Posts: 800
Default Re: Peanuts Movie to Open Against Marvel's Ant-Man!

I don't even know why this is being discussed. Two totally different audiences IMO so one doesn't threaten the other. Like releasing Madagascar the same week as Paranormal Activity. Plus we know so little about what the Edgar Wright Antman is all about.. Maybe his version of Egghead will be a real badass LOL!!!!

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.