Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #551
Project862006
Banned User

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
As long as the dialogue is better than in X1-2. "Mutant and proud" gets a lot of flak but in general the dialogue in FC was much better and much more realistic than anything the old trilogy offered. Or Superman Returns. Yikes.
eh not really script and dialogue was fine in x1-2 dialogue is first class now was pretty cheesy when it dealt with anyone other than fassbender

dialogue made jen Lawrence look bad

Old 11-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #552
NanaT
X-Men United!

^I agree

Old 11-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #553
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
eh not really script and dialogue was fine in x1-2 dialogue is first class now was pretty cheesy when it dealt with anyone other than fassbender

dialogue made jen Lawrence look bad
Yes the dialogue was so cheesy. X1-2 was fine, normal human dialogue. First Class was all "Let's have codenames! I'm Mystique. YOU'RE Havok. HE is Magneto! AND YOU are Professor X! teehee!" So forced and silly. Still a real good movie though.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #554
Angamb
Banned User

I must be one of the few who liked the codenames scene.

They are teenagers, and were having fun, dont know what some fans expect from young x-men at all

Old 11-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #555
JP
Flame On

Yeah, I had no problems with it... at all.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #556
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Code names scene was a bit silly, but also charming and cute.

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 5. The Avengers
6. The Dark Knight Rises | 7. X2 | 8. Spider-Man 2 | 9. Batman Returns | 10. Iron Man 3
Old 11-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #557
NanaT
X-Men United!

I think the thing with the codenames scene was how it was edited. It cuts straight to Mystique saying we're governments agents now we should have codenames. (or something like that) it felt so forced. It shouldn't have started in media res. We should have seen the character interact when they met for the first time and then got to know each other. The scene we got was a bit awkward and forced. They act like they're all the best of friends but we as an audience have no reason for them to be.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #558
Nathan

I guess they were so chill around each other, because that was the first time in their lives interacting with other mutants, not being ashamed or having to hide their powers.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #559
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
I think the thing with the codenames scene was how it was edited. It cuts straight to Mystique saying we're governments agents now we should have codenames. (or something like that) it felt so forced. It shouldn't have started in media res. We should have seen the character interact when they met for the first time and then got to know each other. The scene we got was a bit awkward and forced. They act like they're all the best of friends but we as an audience have no reason for them to be.
I loved the codename scene because it's exactly what *I* would have done in that scenario. 18 and suddenly a government agent? Heck yes, call me "Mystique" or "Havok". They aren't acting like best friends because they *have* just met each other, or maybe it's the first time they're all in the same room at the same time. They're relieved to find other people like themselves and are goofing off... hence the scene that follows where the "grownups" walk in on them partying and using their powers as they please.

Re: cheesy dialogue, I'd hunt down some pretty painful lines from X1-2 but that would require me rewatching them and I'm not sure I have that kind of tolerance for them anymore. X2 isn't bad but everything in X-Men after Sabretooth's first attack hasn't stood the test of time for me. It's just too hokey.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #560
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I love the codenames scene, it's fun and goofy and relaxed and the X-kids act like just teenagers would

I'm not that fussed about dialogue to be honest; some of my favourite movies have absolute shockers and dialogue is probably the very last reason I enjoy the X-Men movies.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #561
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

It's great when films have smart dialogue but it happens very little these days.

Even in the new Bond film Skyfall - which is excellent - there is no memorable dialogue and the script is very basic step by step (one scene leading to another, not always with any logic if you think about it).

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10

Last edited by X-Maniac; 11-10-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #562
Angamb
Banned User

all the youngers didnt act like best friends, I saw some differences between them, specially with Hank and Alex.

Hank seemed to be shy, and if we take into account his "power", we all can understand it, and Alex.... Alex wasnt happy with his hability at all either, so I think the scene was nice because of that. Raven was happy to be with more teenagers like her and Sean were someway "flirting" a bit with her, just in line with his very first introduction.

They were drinking, and meeting each other all the same time, so it was a relax and new situation for them, so I really enjoyed it.

Love to see mutants having normal situations and dialogues, that gives some realism to the movie, in my opinion. They are humans just with a discovered hability. So the movies have to show their human side, they want to have some fun and play like kids sometimes too, like most of us.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #563
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I loved the codenames scene too. It showed a warmth and humour and camaraderie lacking in the original films. In X1, X2 and X3, the characters were quite cold with each other most of the time, like office colleagues who have to interact when at work and then don't see each other the rest of the time. Except they lived in the same freaking house!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #564
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

As far as I can recall, X1 and X2 had a couple of quick eyeroller moments

- Infamous toad struck by lightning one liner
- Sometimes anger... can help you SURVIVE!

you know... Halle Berry lines. But, First Class and X3 both have whole scenes that are just damn terrible.

- Pretty much every Wolverine/ Storm interraction
- Magneto's um... sermon at the church
- Hank and Mystique's cure scene
- Cuba climax right after the point where Xavier gets shot

I thought the codename scene was kinda cute. Especially since we didn't get much kid dialogue in OT..

Old 11-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #565
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I loved the codenames scene too. It showed a warmth and humour and camaraderie lacking in the original films. In X1, X2 and X3, the characters were quite cold with each other most of the time, like office colleagues who have to interact when at work and then don't see each other the rest of the time. Except they lived in the same freaking house!
exactly. And its kind of sad how Rogue, Kitty or Peter didnt talk to each other in X3.

It was like they all only talk to Bobby and the rest were trash.

Im glad Matthew added camaderie in FC. Hopefully Singer finds a way to have a short scene at least on the sequel to keep developing that friendship between them.

We'll need a less intense moment with such an epic and dark sequel, lol

Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #566
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Update from Singer Twitter:

In case image doesn't show up:

NOOOOOOOOOOO
Great, back to epic forest setpieces.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #567
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
Great, back to epic forest setpieces.
Why does Montreal mean just forests?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #568
Angamb
Banned User

I have the same question.

searched for some Montreal photos and didnt see any forest, most were city pics

Old 11-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #569
psyonic
X-Man

Sweet definitely going to Montreal next summer.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #570
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Montreal is a beautiful city with some awesome old and new architecture. The "forest" in Montreal is pretty much Mont Royal, the giant hill in the middle of the city where the giant cross is (for those of you who have toured the city. The main reason to use the city would be the old architecture and massive churches really. It looks like something out of Europe (https://www.google.ca/search?q=vieux...D8nkyQGX1YCwBQ) in Vieux-Montréal (Old Montreal), which is about 4-5 square blocks. I'm not sure which American city they'd be trying to represent with it. Or maybe they do want it to look like France?

Still for modern city shots that aren't clearly Vancouver (if the condos don't give it away, the mountains in the background always do) Toronto is THE place of choice as its incredibly tall skyscrapers and condos and general feel of concrete and business establishments is a good standin for "generic big city". But with filming a measly 5 months away, I imagine it was largely booked up.

As I said though, I do hope the mansion remains the same as in FC. There were too many outdoor shots of it (and important scenes, such as the things to do with the satellite) to just brush it off.

Either way still thrilled about it being shot in Montreal for completely selfish reasons. Let's just say that I may be able to share some "interesting" photos come the spring.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #571
JP
Flame On

Hope you can!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #572
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
if I had 1 million dollars Id spent the whole production there

but I havent

Old 11-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #573
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
Yes the dialogue was so cheesy. X1-2 was fine, normal human dialogue. First Class was all "Let's have codenames! I'm Mystique. YOU'RE Havok. HE is Magneto! AND YOU are Professor X! teehee!" So forced and silly. Still a real good movie though.
I think the codenames scene came off cheesy (not a fan of it either) because to me at least, Jennifer, looks older than she actually is (I've never been good with ages!). This film was my introduction to Lawrence, I've heard of her from the media while she was doing Oscar rounds for Winter's Bone, and again media rounds for First Class, and I've always thought of her as being of an older age. So lines like:

"We should have codenames, we're secret agents now, we should have codenames." (The delivery of this line was just painful)

"Mutant and proud."

There's plenty more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I'm actually of the opinion that she was miscast as Mystique. I know I might be alone in this! But her involvement in this trilogy is definitely a good thing for this franchise now that she's a more higher profile actor.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #574
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I think Hayter has moved on. Everytime he is quoted speaking about X-Men he sounds very bitter about it all.
He's working on some werewolf movie now. I've chatted with him on IMDb before, seemed like a swell fellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
Not without me you're not.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #575
NewYorkSpider
Heart Of Steel

I loved the first and second X-Men. So this has me a little excited.

Closed Thread