Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #976
Deathstroke
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
But the critics and the general public won't have blinders on. Their opinion will matter the most, because the ´´fanboy`` percentage is way too low to matter in relation to the general public.
Considering your on a message board, around here... all that matters is the biased fan perspective.

Superman Returns did well critically. Routh actually gained some critically praise.

Now as far as the general public goes, that really will also be influenced by the film's box office and who actually sees this thing. It's in June (a difficult month of blockbusters) and going up against a Will Smith blockbuster, a Brad Pitt blockbuster and a Pixar film. I'm not expecting crazy Box Office on this one.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #977
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
Smallville13, it's not going to matter.

My Brandon Routh example is proof that no matter how good or bad Cavill does, the fans will go out of their way to see his performance as good. There is a strong bias here. The blinders are on.

So really, this entire argument is pointless. We all know how it will turn out.

But from a Hollywood point of view, I don't think Cavill's acting will ever get him into any of the upper echelon Oscar circles. He really isn't a great breakthrough star like Garfield. He's okay. Serviceable. Good enough.

But within the fan communities, he will be a rockstar.
I suppose. I figure he will sort of fit in to the Chris Evans/Chris Hemsworth echelon. Although I imagine that the script for MOS is alot stronger than their respective films. I think that's the thing really. With all of Cavill's previous films/tv stuff has any of the material/surrounding cast actually been stellar? From what I can gather the main problems for Immortals and CLoD stem from other areas and not Cavill. With MOS, he is surrounded by a very strong supporting cast, and what is surely (hopefully) a strong script. It's sink or swim. I hope the other high-calibre talent doesn't carry him through this film. I hope he rises above them all.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #978
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:

But from a Hollywood point of view, I don't think Cavill's acting will ever get him into any of the upper echelon Oscar circles.
Most likely not. But stranger things have happened. If Mark Wahlberg can get an Oscar nomination, so could Cavill. If he's directed by Martin Scorsese of course.

Quote:
He really isn't a great breakthrough star like Garfield.
Now that's an exaggeration. Garfield is hardly what you could call a breakthrough star, for now anyway.

Quote:
He's okay. Serviceable. Good enough.
As an actor in general, yes in a way. For the role of Superman? Way more than that. Brandon Routh was those things. Cavill, I honestly and objectively (Im far from a fanboy of his, didn't even know who he was before he was cast) don't think there is anyone out there (aside from a possible undiscovered complete unknown) who would be a better fit for the role of Superman as Cavill. On paper he literally seems to have it ALL. Way more than merely ok.good enough.servicebale. That's just false (and unfair).

Old 11-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #979
Deathstroke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
But, thankfully, for Superman movie one should not be an Oscar caliber actor to play Supers, as Christopher Reeve himself said once, playing Superman is 75 % appearance and mannerisms and 25 % acting.

This is true.

The hardest part of this role, acting-wise, is making the Superman/CK disguise believable by playing each role subtly yet vastly different.

Routh did an okay job with that thanks to Singer's direction.

Cavill has a bigger challenge. His features will be harder to disguise and it will be harder for him to play reporter Clark in a vastly different way within a real world context. He has to play it in a way that no one will assume CK is Superman. It will be a huge acting feat.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #980
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

An actor can be a very good Superman because he fits That role perfectly but he may Not be as successful actor in other movies.

All that matters now is how he performs as Superman, now we would not want it other way round like - "He did just serviceable as Superman but he did very good in other movies."

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #981
Deathstroke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I suppose. I figure he will sort of fit in to the Chris Evans/Chris Hemsworth echelon. Although I imagine that the script for MOS is alot stronger than their respective films. I think that's the thing really. With all of Cavill's previous films/tv stuff has any of the material/surrounding cast actually been stellar? From what I can gather the main problems for Immortals and CLoD stem from other areas and not Cavill. With MOS, he is surrounded by a very strong supporting cast, and what is surely (hopefully) a strong script. It's sink or swim. I hope the other high-calibre talent doesn't carry him through this film. I hope he rises above them all.
I wouldn't bet on that. Early word is that Shannon steals the film, which is really no surprise.

And all Cavill's previous stuff has been 'okay,' nothing stellar or spectacular. Cavill can deliver lines. He's okay when it comes to emoting, even though he was over-the-top ridiculous in CLoD. He meets the bare requirements for the Superman role. It works.

His American accent detracts from his acting slightly though. He comes off as a stronger actor with more range using his normal British speaking style.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #982
superhero#1
Side-Kick

Ima just wait until I see a full trailer are until the movie come out before I judge anybody, because I don't wanna look like a fool and be eating my words.I know that first full trailer will be badass.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #983
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
I wouldn't bet on that. Early word is that Shannon steals the film, which is really no surprise.
And that's a good thing. The best villains are those that outshine the heroes, imo anyway.

Quote:
even though he was over-the-top ridiculous in CLoD.
That was the director wanted.

Quote:
He meets the bare requirements for the Superman role.
Again with this. How does he just meet ´´the bare`` requirements for Superman? He looks like he stepped off the pages of a comic book. He has the most impressive physique out of any other actor playing Superman. He has as much charm and charisma as Christopher Reeve did. And in his Tudors run he showed just as much in way of acting. I'd love to hear who you think is a superior choice for Superman, if Cavill is only the bare minimum ok for the role.

Quote:
His American accent detracts from his acting slightly though. He comes off as a stronger actor with more range using his normal British speaking style.
This I actually agree with.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #984
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

I wouldn't worry about Cavill's acting ability, after watching Michael Shannon's acting as Zod and Snyder's special effects, mind would be blown already to take note of how Cavill is doing.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 11-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #985
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Ugh. I don't know about the villain overshadowing Superman in his origin story. I wouldn't mind it for a sequel with Lex Luthor perhaps.

Bale was not upstaged by anyone in Batman Begins and just owned and sold that film. I hope for the same with Man of Steel. Maybe it's stupid of me... But it's just what I want...

Old 11-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #986
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero#1 View Post
Ima just wait until I see a full trailer are until the movie come out before I judge anybody, because I don't wanna look like a fool and be eating my words.I know that first full trailer will be badass.
The first trailer HAS to be badass, i really hope in the next few months, Warner starts churning out all the publicity and marketing, because i was talking to someone about american icons in college the other day, and we got on the subject of Superman, and the ****er had no idea a new Sup film was coming. In my opinion, if Warner let's people know that Nolan had a part in this film, people will come and see it, the past 3 Batman's were almost unanimously loved. I'm glad Nolan's name was in the teaser trailer, no joke, in the theater a good amount of people clapped at his name showing on the screen.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #987
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
The first trailer HAS to be badass, i really hope in the next few months, Warner starts churning out all the publicity and marketing, because i was talking to someone about american icons in college the other day, and we got on the subject of Superman, and the ****er had no idea a new Sup film was coming. In my opinion, if Warner let's people know that Nolan had a part in this film, people will come and see it, the past 3 Batman's were almost unanimously loved. I'm glad Nolan's name was in the teaser trailer, no joke, in the theater a good amount of people clapped at his name showing on the screen.
No problem there, Snyder can make such trailers even in his dream.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 11-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #988
Project862006
Banned User

he doesn't need to be a great actor just a great superman

chris hemsworth isn't a great actor either he is a great thor tho

Old 11-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #989
Deathstroke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post

That's a good comparison. Cavill would be lucky if his career went the way of Hemworth's. Though Hemsworth got a huge boost with the massive overexposure of The Avengers.

Obviously Man of Steel will be nowhere close to that.

Also, apparently this is Cavill's film for 2014:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2034800/

No surprises Thomas Tull from Legendary (who co-financed MoS) is involved with it.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #990
Project862006
Banned User

^sadly film has been postponed

Old 11-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #991
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post

I totally understand what you mean. lol

Old 11-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #992
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Wouldn't bank on The Great Wall happening.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #993
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Bale was not upstaged by anyone in Batman Begins and just owned and sold that film. I hope for the same with Man of Steel. Maybe it's stupid of me... But it's just what I want...
Bale was upstaged by just everyone, actually. ESPECIALLY in The Dark Knight.

Actually if I'm being perfectly honest, as much as I think of Bale as an actor... I thought he was quite bland in Nolan's Batman films. He was a bad Batman and an even worse Bruce Wayne.

Just one man's opinion obviously. I hope Cavill isn't just "there". I want him to stand out. I want Superman to feel like Superman.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #994
Deathstroke
Banned User

Bale was the standout/memorable performance in Batman Begins. He gained quite a following because of that film.

However, the Nolan films never let Bale shine and show his true talents.

Bale is a proven great actor. The Nolan films just allowed him to be a serviceable one.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #995
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Bale was upstaged by just everyone, actually. ESPECIALLY in The Dark Knight.

Actually if I'm being perfectly honest, as much as I think of Bale as an actor... I thought he was quite bland in Nolan's Batman films. He was a bad Batman and an even worse Bruce Wayne.

Just one man's opinion obviously. I hope Cavill isn't just "there". I want him to stand out. I want Superman to feel like Superman.
Bale was only upstaged in the Dark Knight by Heath Ledger and Gary Oldnan in the Dark Knight doesn't mean he didn't hold his own. Infact Batman Begins and the Dark Knight Rises are Bales standout performances in the Bat films.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 11-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #996
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
The same was said about Routh.
I don't remember as many actors coming out n saying the same about Routh maye Bosworth n Spacey but you've got people like Harry Lennix saying it without even been asked. I have faith in Cavill.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 11-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #997
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Because Batman Begins did such a good job of establishing Bale as Batman they could shift focus to The Joker/Harvey Dent.

Man of Steel needs to establish Cavill as Superman. Now, I hate to say this but I think it's more important for Cavill to have charisma and a screen presence than to be a great actor. This isn't Daniel Day-Lewis performing Abraham Lincoln. From what I've seen of Cavill he appears more charismatic in interviews and being charming around fans than his actual performances in movies.

I think with a good script/direction he has a chance to exude his natural charisma which would help his performance.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #998
Deathstroke
Banned User

Brandon Routh was similar in that regard. He did better with public relations and press with representing Superman offscreen than onscreen.

I think the focus of Man of Steel is on Kryptonians VS Humanity, and whether the world is ready to encounter aliens. The SDCC trailer had alienation as a key theme.

That being said, I think the main focus will be split between Crowe, Shannon and Cavill.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #999
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread Here

Closed Thread