The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 AM   #276
Dark Knight
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Justice League Director Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
The top 4 on that list are pretty much my top 4 dream picks for any superhero movie at this point, lol. I just really want to see their takes on this genre, and would be thrilled if any of those guys got the gig. If I were running WB, my offers would go something like this:

- Rian Johnson - Batman. He's the perfect blend of Nolan's writing abilities and "grounded," noir sensibilities, but he also wouldn't shy away from the more fantastical side of Batman's universe.

-Alfonso Cuaron - Wonder Woman. I just really want to see Cuaron and his beautiful imagery take on Greek Mythology and blend it with our world. That guy has such an imagination and creates such rich, detailed worlds. WW's universe could be quite the creative playground for him.

-Duncan Jones - Superman or The Flash. I'm not a Zack Snyder fan, but I'm waiting to see how MoS turns out before I decide whether I want someone else taking over the franchise. At any rate, we know Duncan Jones was one of Nolan's favorites for the gig, and he took himself out of consideration for it at the time because he didn't think he was ready to handle something so big...yet. That tells me he'd never be interested in doing something so mammoth as JL, but might still consider a solo superhero one day. The Flash and Supes are both "sci-fi superheroes" and therefore seem to fit his sensibilities pretty well, imo. Flash is also a bit "smaller" in scale than Supes, so that could be the right one for him.

-Neill Blomkamp - Justice League. District 9 was the perfect combination of summer sci-fi action entertainment and real, human drama. He didn't shy away from comedic moments, but never undermined the heaviness of the story and its themes. It was an epic sci-fi story on a shoestring budget, blending elements which, by all rights, shouldn't have worked together. And Elysium sounds like it's gonna be even more epic. If it turns out as awesome as everyone's hoping, I really hope WB will look at him for this. JL, like Avengers, is a very tricky thing to make work, and I think Blomkamp is one of the few who could really pull it off.

Of course, my top pick for JL remains Brad Bird, but if he's really not an option anymore, these 4 genre directors are some of the most exciting in the industry at the moment, imo, and I'd love to see any or all of them contribute to this franchise at some point.

Brad Bird should be #1 on WB's list to direct JL.

If Bird can't be had, then I hope they go with Cuaron, Del Toro, or Jones.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #277
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

I want Bird for Episode 7 now.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:13 AM   #278
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post

That has a chance of happening actually, with Birds connections with Pixar and now Disney.

Guillermo Del Toro would be a good fit as a Star Wars director and it would be interesting to see what James Cameron would be able to with directing a Star Wars film.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #279
Lobo
skip skip skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
This please.

<o>\o/<o>\o/<o>\o/
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #280
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

According to recent rumors, director David Yates may not be free for a JL movie as he would be involved with Tarzan movie project, also there is a rumor that director Brett Ratner will be directing a movie based on Hercules starring Dwayne Johnson, if true both directors (and Ben Affleck. ) can be safely ruled out from the list of potential directors for the JL movie.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #281
combocaz
Side-Kick

Peter Jackson

Cyborg -Ray Fisher
Aquaman -Jason Momoa
combocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #282
Airwings
Waves of air

If he doesn't get Star Wars, I want Steven Spielberg to direct JL

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #283
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
snyder is their fanboy director is he not?
Sorta, but Snyder is wildly inconsistent with the projects he does. Folks like Whedon, Nolan, Raimi, Abrams, et al have a consistent tone and approach to things. MOS feels greatly removed from the overblown visuals of 300 or Sucker Punch. It's like a whole new director is in charge of MOS, not Snyder.

I've never read an interview where Snyder professed his love for the Justice League... if there is, I haven't read it. JL honestly needs something visionary from a up-and-coming director, and something with passion.

Example: If you ignore the shortcomings of Snow White and the Huntsman (the director's affair with Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron's overacting and the inconsistent script), Rupert Sanders did quite a good job establishing a tone and look. It's all the more impressive considering it's his first feature film. But a good director can only go so far if the script and casting are lacking.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #284
The Guard
Side-Kick

Now I want Sam Mendes even more...

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #285
Jordacar
The Endless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Example: If you ignore the shortcomings of Snow White and the Huntsman (the director's affair with Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron's overacting and the inconsistent script), Rupert Sanders did quite a good job establishing a tone and look. It's all the more impressive considering it's his first feature film. But a good director can only go so far if the script and casting are lacking.
Indeed. The guy came out of frickin nowhere. Most directors would kill to make something that impressive on their first go.

On Sam Mendes, before seeing Skyfall I would probably have said "no way not in a million years I'm in no mood for a hundred million dollar thinkpiece by some artiste with a gold statue", or something to that effect, but now...yeah, put him on the list.

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #286
Project862006
Banned User

no offense but might aswell get nolan if you want mendes very similar style mendes even said he highly based skyfall off tdk

i want a great visual style for jla something avengers failed at

not saying he will do it sicne i am sure MOS will have his plate filled but if snyder can blend realism and fantasy aswell as it looks in MOS thats the type of look i want

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #287
Jordacar
The Endless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
no offense but might aswell get nolan if you want mendes very similar style mendes even said he highly based skyfall off tdk
I'd say the opposite; the effectiveness of Skyfall, and the fact that Sam Mendes cites the Dark Knight films as a big influence, demonstrates that Nolan has successfully influenced a generation of filmmakers, even ones like Mendes who hit their stride before he did. Nolan doesn't need to do everything, and he never did.

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #288
combocaz
Side-Kick

sir peter jackson and his team of writers rewrite the script.

Cyborg -Ray Fisher
Aquaman -Jason Momoa
Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #289
Edguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by combocaz View Post
Peter Jackson
Let's just kidnap that bastard, and put him to work already! Would probably put him as producer, rather than director, though.

Neil Blomkamp as director (at least if Elysium lives up to District 9) and Jackson or Spielberg as producer. Some Joss Whedon-guy as screenwriter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
How about Kirsten Stewart being in the film as a shortcoming? All the suspension of disbelief in the world couldn't make me believe she was the fairest of them all..

Last edited by Edguy; 11-30-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #290
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Ben affleck and I'm being serious.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #291
TheBat447
Side-Kick

This sounds stupid, real stupid but what has Spielberg done to deserve this project? Surely someone with a background in superhero films/TV should get first shout?

Let's see how MOS does first - we may not need a new director.

TheBat447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #292
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat447 View Post
This sounds stupid, real stupid but what has Spielberg done to deserve this project? Surely someone with a background in superhero films/TV should get first shout?
Richard Donner? Tim Burton? Joel Schumacher? Ang Lee? Sam Raimi? Tim Story? Martin Campbell?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #293
TheBat447
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Richard Donner? Tim Burton? Joel Schumacher? Ang Lee? Sam Raimi? Tim Story? Martin Campbell?
Keep going, you'll eventually shout out who I have in mind.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #294
Airwings
Waves of air

TheBat447: Christopher Nolan! But's he's the least likely of them to take the director's chair for JL. Other directors then?
Bryan Singer is already out because of his upcoming involvement with Fox/X-Men. And the guys behind the Marvel Studio films can't even be considered, I guess.

Quote:
Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Indiana Jones franchise, E.T., Empire of the Sun, Hook, Jurassic Park, A.I., Minority Report, War of the Worlds, Tintin, and also a bunch of drama films
Blood-thirsty sea life, friendly aliens, heroic adventures, war, fantasy characters, ancient giant creatures, high tech/futurism, invasion from space, comic book adaption.... all of them more or less obvious keywords for Justice League. How could Spielberg not deserve this?

Last edited by Airwings; 11-29-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #295
Sun_Down
Groovy

Quote:
Um, he's one of the greatest directors of our era? I'd rather have him than some hack who worked on Smallville or FF4. The logic of this argument fails and fails miserably.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #296
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Down View Post
Um, he's one of the greatest directors of our era? I'd rather have him than some hack who worked on Smallville or FF4. The logic of this argument fails and fails miserably.
Spielberg wouldn't see it as much of a creative challenge or something he wants to work on. It'd be a huge coup and would certainly pique interest.

Plus, Spielberg runs a tight ship. A Spielberg-directed JL film would be in the can well before release, and he'd make it on budget.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #297
TheBat447
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Down View Post
Batman, Superman and a bunch of other superheroes - he's never done anything even related to any of them. He's a great director - that is undisputed, but surely someone deserves it more? Maybe deserves isn't even the right choice of words but surely my point is coming across? ... I hope.

I'd prefer to see him work on a Marvel film, as I've previously mentioned that I'd hate JL to be based too much on fantasy (apart from the obvious superhero vs villain story)

I'm struggling to explain myself here so here's an example - I'm a HUGE Hitchcock fan but would never have wanted to see him do Batman (etc)

Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #298
TheBat447
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
TheBat447: Christopher Nolan! But's he's the least likely of them to take the director's chair for JL. Other directors then?
Bryan Singer is already out because of his upcoming involvement with Fox/X-Men. And the guys behind the Marvel Studio films can't even be considered, I guess.

Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Indiana Jones franchise, E.T., Empire of the Sun, Hook, Jurassic Park, A.I., Minority Report, War of the Worlds, Tintin, and also a bunch of drama films
Blood-thirsty sea life, friendly aliens, heroic adventures, war, fantasy characters, ancient giant creatures, high tech/futurism, invasion from space, comic book adaption.... all of them more or less obvious keywords for Justice League. How could Spielberg not deserve this?
I probably should have used a more suitable word than "deserves", see my previous post.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #299
Edguy
Banned User

I don't know about the people above me, but I suggested Spielberg as a producer. I think that is the only realistic use of people like him, Jackson and Cameron. But something like that would give the projects a lot of safety, both production-wise and from the executive suits' perspective.

Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #300
combocaz
Side-Kick

Cameron wont do it he has 2 avatar movies to do but if he did he would do a brilliant job.

Peter Jackson would only do it if his wife fran walsh and phillipa boyen write the script. Those 3 are a team i cant see Peter Jackson doing any movie without those 2.

Cyborg -Ray Fisher
Aquaman -Jason Momoa