The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #101
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - Part 15

Some of these other movies seem to do very well overseas. Superman has always been looked at as more of an American hero. Batman and others seemed to translate to foreign countries.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #102
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Lol Just wait.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 11-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #103
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Now, I think some misconceptions with Superman need to be addressed here.

* Superman is less popular overseas because he is viewed as an American icon.
Not True, being viewed as an American icon should not pose any problem.
If that were the case how did Captain America made more money in Overseas market then it did in US ? Besides, he is viewed as Global hero by most people.

* Superman is too much of Boy Scout.
So, is Captain America and (to some extent) Spider-Man.

* Superman is too powered, so he is boring.
Thor and Hulk are also too much powered, but nobody mentions their names when making the case of being too powerful.

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 11-12-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #104
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Captain America's foreign totals are far less than Thor/ Batman/ Avengers/ Amazing Spider-man and Iron Man.

There almost the exact same totals as Superman Returns.

With Cap they even called it the First Avenger and the film takes place mostly in Europe.

I'm hoping for Man of Steel to do well home and abroad but most importantly I want a good film.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #105
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Superman is definitely the franchise that will have its fair share of hurdles to overcome. Spider-Man had three financially successful films, with the first two having been well received critically, thus it wasn't that hard to sell the GA on going to see a new spider-man film. And ever Marvel Studios film has the Avengers to thank for in helping boosting their popularity as well.

Superman hasn't had a big breakout film in ages and we haven't had anything really big to sell the public on; with most people not even being aware that there's a new one coming out.
It's the trailers job to make people aware and to get rid of their misconceptions of the character enough to make them go see the movie. TDKR was a in a way missed opportunity, The Hobbit is another great one. Let's hope they don't screw it up. TDK only had a logo/voice over teaser but the first trailer was amazing. Green Lantern's first trailer though, was not. In big part because the already mediocre CGI wasn't done yet - also, bland cinematography. And it was poorly put together. Man of Steel trailer should be so good, that it makes the IM3 trailer look like a kids movie.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #106
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:
Anyone else think that it'd be a good idea if the film were to have prequel comics released that tied into the film that perhaps explored or further elaborated the backstory and history regarding MOS's take on Krypton?
I would love that. Especially if they hired a decent artist to really bring MOS's Krypton alive on paper.

Quote:
So if Amy's scene featuring her being hanged by a wire took place outside of a building within Chicago, I wonder if they filmed any scenes there featuring Superman's battle with Zod? I always thought that since we never heard of anyone seeing Cavil or Shannon there in battle mode that the fight scenes would be done within studios.
I knew it! I knew there was more happening in Metropolis/Chicago than we were finding out.

When all those Plano pics where coming out, I remember a lot of people assuming that meant the big showdown would be in Smallville. I am so glad they were wrong.

I remember clinging to my hope of Metropolis action/fight scenes after a report of smoke filling some streets in Chicago, but after seeing the comic con footage I felt much more confident, and now that we know there have been some pretty big filming moments that didn't get snapped in the city who knows what else we might see in the film!!!

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #107
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
Captain America's foreign totals are far less than Thor/ Batman/ Avengers/ Amazing Spider-man and Iron Man.

With Cap they even called it the First Avenger and the film takes place mostly in Europe.

I'm hoping for Man of Steel to do well home and abroad but most importantly I want a good film.
Well, Cap was only a decent movie, really. And the scale wasn't anywhere near of what MOS is going to be, the cast far less impressive overall and MOS is probably going to be among the biggest visual spectacles of recent years, something that Cap was not. Superman is also way more known than Cap. And MOS has Nolans name on it. Not to mention there is way more interest in MOS even now than there was for Cap at any point really. I don't worry about the BO. Only poor marketing and poor WOM stand in the way of MOS's success.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #108
STARMAN
Side-Kick

We saw the Chicago set photos that showed people running in the streets and damage done to Union Station. There was even that rare photo of Cavill from above next to Amy Adams. He had on a vest and carried a suitcase with papers blown all around.

Too bad no one took a shot of Cavill running into an alleyway and ripping open his shirt.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #109
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Man of Steel will definitely be more successful than Captain America. Someone else brought up Captian America first.

I was saying how alot of these movies are doing well overseas and I think Warner Brothers has always feared Superman being viewed as an American hero and thus having his foreign box office totals hurt.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #110
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:

Maybe because the Captain America movie had him dancing with showgirls for 10 mins or more and not because they didn't want to see it based on what country he's from. I personally didn't like Cap A. To be honest, most all of the heroes are American based. But that doesn't matter, doesn't matter all bc if its a good movie people will see it. If its not then they won't. People all over the world have that in common. We all love a good movie no matter where the hero is from. Besides, Cavill being european himself can only help with first views over the pond.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #111
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I would love that. Especially if they hired a decent artist to really bring MOS's Krypton alive on paper.

I knew it! I knew there was more happening in Metropolis/Chicago than we were finding out.

When all those Plano pics where coming out, I remember a lot of people assuming that meant the big showdown would be in Smallville. I am so glad they were wrong.

I remember clinging to my hope of Metropolis action/fight scenes after a report of smoke filling some streets in Chicago, but after seeing the comic con footage I felt much more confident, and now that we know there have been some pretty big filming moments that didn't get snapped in the city who knows what else we might see in the film!!!
Well, I thought that this set photo kind of gave it away

The logos are for the "Daily Planet Reconstruction Fund," a couple of City of Metropolis agencies, the United Constructionists union, the "Metropolis Green Building Initiative," and the "Metropolis Transit Authority."

A good way for Metropolis to become the city of tomorrow. With Superman helping with the rebuilding, I hope.

The leaked Lego set also had a Superman Metropolis Showdown. But I always suspected they would film the biggest scenes for Metropolis on studio premises.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #112
STARMAN
Side-Kick

It just shows you how much I need some news that I'm actually trying to calculate Man of Steels' foreign box office totals six months before the movie comes out.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #113
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
We saw the Chicago set photos that showed people running in the streets and damage done to Union Station. There was even that rare photo of Cavill from above next to Amy Adams. He had on a vest and carried a suitcase with papers blown all around.
This one, right?

Yeah I think someone confirmed that is Cavill next to the cab. Though its kind of obvious really. A guy with jet black hair, athletic build, dressed the way he is and the camera on him...yeah, I wonder who that could be...

Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #114
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Yeah. That's the photo. Good job. I miss when we used to get those daily set photos. Too bad there weren't any close-ups shots of that scene.

Since WB isn't releasing actual photos I wish that some never before seen set picture emerges.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #115
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Cavill ?

Old 11-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #116
STARMAN
Side-Kick

yeah. That's Cavill.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #117
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
Well, I thought that this set photo kind of gave it away

The logos are for the "Daily Planet Reconstruction Fund," a couple of City of Metropolis agencies, the United Constructionists union, the "Metropolis Green Building Initiative," and the "Metropolis Transit Authority."

A good way for Metropolis to become the city of tomorrow. With Superman helping with the rebuilding, I hope.

The leaked Lego set also had a Superman Metropolis Showdown. But I always suspected they would film the biggest scenes for Metropolis on studio premises.

Yeah I remember that one too. Yet people were still insisting that it was going to be like Thor and the big showdown would happen in a small town setting and be really anti climactic.

Quote:

Too bad no one took a shot of Cavill running into an alleyway and ripping open his shirt.
Agreed!

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #118
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post

Cavill ?
Who else? Some other random well built fella with black hair that the camera just so happens to be focused on?

Two more. So this is what it's come to. We are back to year old set photos...

Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #119
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

so........assuming the MOS trailer is attached with the Hobbit, when do you think we will get that confirmed?

we are about a month away from Hobbit.........should it have been confirmed by now?

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #120
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I know. WB is torturing us.

Since we're talking about photos, I once saw a photo on another website of Cavill posing with a woman in the lobby of a California hotel around January 29th, 2011. He looked like he was still in hair and make-up while on break from filming the EAFB scenes. He had a great Superman look in the photo.

The girl also posted a photo of herself with Chrs Meloni in the same lobby on the same day.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #121
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
So this is what it's come to. We are back to year old set photos...

Did you know it's been 652 days since Cavill was cast? That's 1 year, 9 months and 13 days!

And did you know its been 770 days since Snyder was confirmed as director? That's 2 years, 1 month and 8 days!

When I put it like that, it makes me think maybe the 7 months and 2 days we have left until we see the movie will go by quicker than we think!

*\S/T*
Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #122
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

by the time we wait for the trailer, the movie will be out!!! lol

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #123
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post

Did you know it's been 652 days since Cavill was cast? That's 1 year, 9 months and 13 days!

And did you know its been 770 days since Snyder was confirmed as director? That's 2 years, 1 month and 8 days!

When I put it like that, it makes me think maybe the 7 months and 2 days we have left until we see the movie will go by quicker than we think!
Has it really been That long?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
by the time we wait for the trailer, the movie will be out!!! lol
True statement! lol

Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #124
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Damn, it's been long. Cant believe it's been that long since Cavil was cast. Almost 2 years ago. Damn, I'm spending too much time in here...

Damn...

Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #125
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

I joined this forum around the time Nolan and Goyer's story being picked was announced I think. My entire time here has pretty much revolved around this movie.

*\S/T*
Closed Thread