The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 11-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #151
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Default Re: Matthew Vaughn Is NOT Helming X-Men: First Class Sequel - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I think in First Class, some of the characters were a bit insubstantial - namely Emma, Banshee and Havok.
I agree, they were all a bit underdone. Of the three, Banshee came off the best to me, because Caleb Landry Jones has a kind of a gangly, goofy, likeable energy to him; but Lucas Till is rather more wooden. January Jones gets way too much hate in some quarters, but I definitely think that an actress with a bit more oomph could still have made the character work better even with the lines she was given. Her flat delivery works fine for her character in Mad Men but not so much outside of it.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #152
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
I think someone's said it before but it would be good to see the time traveller react emotionally when they saw someone who was dead in the future alive again. The same way kitty reacted to seeing nightcrawler in the comics. It could only work with Prof X, magneto, Beast and magneto though as they're the only ones that the time traveller (no matter who he/she is) would have known. Of that four I see it being beast and I would just love to see the young beast's expression to hearing about his death
would LOVE to see this! and it could give Hank a reason to defend the mutant issue harder, I think.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #153
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
I think someone's said it before but it would be good to see the time traveller react emotionally when they saw someone who was dead in the future alive again. The same way kitty reacted to seeing nightcrawler in the comics. It could only work with Prof X, magneto, Beast and magneto though as they're the only ones that the time traveller (no matter who he/she is) would have known. Of that four I see it being beast and I would just love to see the young beast's expression to hearing about his death
This is why more than anything I'd love to see SirIan!Magneto visit McAvoyCharles. Or their older selves visit their younger selves. But Charles or Erik needs to be the time traveller, definitely.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #154
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

I guess, instead of physically sending someone to the past, future Charles could send his consciousness to 60s Charles (like what they did with Kitty). I'm liking that idea more than the alternative. I'd also like to see Charles create the device "lightweight, flexible metal braces" that give him the ability to walk again, otherwise I don't see how he could be of significant use.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #155
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
I guess, instead of physically sending someone to the past, future Charles could send his consciousness to 60s Charles (like what they did with Kitty). I'm liking that idea more than the alternative. I'd also like to see Charles create the device "lightweight, flexible metal braces" that give him the ability to walk again, otherwise I don't see how he could be of significant use.
But then young Charles wouldn't get any development. He still has a long way to go before he turns into Patrick Stewart Charles. It's one of the reasons his character was finally so interesting (I have always disliked Professor X in ALL of his incarnations except First Class, where he was finally relatable).

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #156
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I don't want the future Charles sending his consciousness back and basically overwriting young!Charles. That's just swapping a character for somebody else entirely. And making Charles walk again with some devices would cheapen his tragedy, he can't participate in action scenes true but then his character was never much action-oriented even when he was walking.

What if it happens the other way around and somehow young!Charles's consciousness travels into the future and then he comes back and everyone thinks he's raving? Just an idea, not saying it's a good one

Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #157
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

I'd rather see Charles working on a devise that could get him walking again than see him lamenting his paralysis, feeling sorry for himself and doing nothing to improve the situation, but that's just me (I guess the feeling sorry bit could happen before and during his effort to walk again). I suppose this could happen before his consciousness is taken over by future Charles (whose characterization I prefer over young Charles, but again, that's just me).

Old 11-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #158
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Well, he's allowed to feel sorry for himself after what happened. Paralysis from the waist down is not something you brush aside like a minor flesh wound. It changed Charles' life irrevocably. Of course no one expects a whole movie of Charles dealing with his paralysis, but if he doesn't mourn his new condition before passing onto the acceptance phase, his tragedy will look cheap and it'll be a waste of a good opportunity to give him a well deserved characterization. If Erik's tragedies were dealt with respect, why Charles' should be ignored?

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #159
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
"First Class is the best X-men film ever!!! Thank god Vaughn took the reins from Singer! Keep hack-Singer away from my X-men"

"First Class is the best X-men film ever!!!"
"But it focused only on 1, 2 characters the most?"
"Blame Singer."

Cool story bro.

Alex Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #160
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Especially if Havok and Banshee are told they are dead in the future, blasted to bits by Sentinels. That would give the younger versions more of a stake in the story.
Yeah that would be nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
totally agree too. Emma was a poor character. I think Matthew didnt do a decent job with her at all. So if I have one thing to blame him about, its Emma.
I thought Emma was fine, she had her moments and I really liked when she transformed into diamond form. Though it was kinda odd that she was missing at the climax scene where the good mutants and the Hellfire Club fought with each other. Plus the way Professor X and Magneto defeated her, like I said before, Emma should have fought harder especially she was in diamond form, she could have easily throw Magneto again. Hopefully she'll have more role in DOFP and who knows she could end-up like X2 Mystique.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #161
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Though it was kinda odd that she was missing at the climax scene where the good mutants and the Hellfire Club fought with each other.
Wasn't she imprisoned?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #162
JP
Smelly

My only problem with Emma was JJ's performance, everything else was perfect. Her hair/wardrobe/dialog. All very Emma.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #163
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

If she had been playing an original character, I wouldn't have had any real problem with Jones. But know what an ice cold queen ***** that Emma is in the comics, she just didn't pull it off.

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #164
Project862006
Banned User

charlize theron would of pulled that off in her sleep

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 AM   #165
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
charlize theron would of pulled that off in her sleep
Maybe so, but I'm getting a bit bored of Charlize Theron playing mean, nasty women (Hancock, Prometheus and Snow White and the Huntsman) - especially as it sometimes seems forced and unconvincing.

I don't think she would have made a better Emma. Too tall and slim, too famous for the role.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #166
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe so, but I'm getting a bit bored of Charlize Theron playing mean, nasty women
Yeah that. Plus the nasty women she's played that I've seen were all terribly humourless. Which I don't think would suit the character they were going for in FC.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #167
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Yeah that. Plus the nasty women she's played that I've seen were all terribly humourless. Which I don't think would suit the character they were going for in FC.
Yep, she needs to be a bit more vivacious (and voluptuous), with a twinkle in her eye and a sardonic wit.

I hope they are feeding up January Jones for reprising the role in DoFP, if indeed she does.

For an older version, Desperate Housewives actress Nicollette Sheridan might be good.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #168
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Inless they are jumping ahead to 1970's or 1980's as past Emma Frost will not be recast.And news after Bryan Singer being signed suggest several cast members from
earlier films will be In this.The future scenes will mostly be with cast of earlier films.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #169
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

After thinking about your post I decided to you give you a REAL reply rather than continue the nonsense.

Quote:
First Class is the best X-men film ever!!!
Yeah, pretty much.

Quote:
Thank god Vaughn took the reins from Singer!
Vaughn didn't really "take" the reins from Singer. I know Singer had a hand in First Class and that's where he belongs, behind the scenes.

Quote:
"Keep hack-Singer away from my X-men"
Singer's not a hack. He's a brilliant filmmaker really, he just needs to say away from comic book films. I don't see anyone praising him for the gem that was Superman Returns.

Quote:
"First Class is the best X-men film ever!!!"
You said that already.

Quote:
"But it focused only on 1, 2 characters the most?"
Not really.

Quote:
"Blame Singer."
Again, not really.

Quote:
You sound pretty serious to me.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #170
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Yeah keep mentioning Superman returns.I didn't hear people wanting Sam Rami keep away from SPider-Man 4 when they were going to d that even though Spider-Man 3 Is far worse.Bryan Singer resurrected the genre with X-men and made best X-Men film with X2(that's not just my oporion X2 often Is only X-Men film placed on top 10 comic book films list) and If you like First Class Singer was a big part of It.He devolped the story and picked characters.Matthew Vaughn brought the more bond qualitys made It a bit more Magneto sotry than an Xavier and Magneto story that Singer Intended,added the Beast-Mystique relationship,and dropped sunspot form Hellfire and a Xavier-Moira-Magneto triangle.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #171
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

Singer doesn't need to stay away from comic book films, he just needs to stay away from Superman films.

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #172
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Yeah keep mentioning Superman returns.I didn't hear people wanting Sam Rami keep away from SPider-Man 4 when they were going to d that even though Spider-Man 3 Is far worse.Bryan Singer resurrected the genre with X-men and made best X-Men film with X2(that's not just my oporion X2 often Is only X-Men film placed on top 10 comic book films list) and If you like First Class Singer was a big part of It.He devolped the story and picked characters.Matthew Vaughn brought the more bond qualitys made It a bit more Magneto sotry than an Xavier and Magneto story that Singer Intended,added the Beast-Mystique relationship,and dropped sunspot form Hellfire and a Xavier-Moira-Magneto triangle.
Did you even read my post?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #173
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Director Bryan Singer is better than Vaughn.
He made the best X-Men movie (X2
)

Alison Blaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #174
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Blaire View Post
Director Bryan Singer is better than Vaughn. He made the best X-Men movie (X2)
Unbelievable... you've convinced me.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #175
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I fail to see how this argument is important. Both have worked on some of the best X-movies, that's all I'm concerned about. Neither are without their flaws, but I'm happy that at least they are both still on board this movie in some form. Frankly I think anyone else stepping in after Vaughn would be too much of an unknown quantity.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote