The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #501
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick

Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

I'm currently reading ADwD, so to avoid spoilers I haven't read this thread beyond the first page. (I'll probably go through everything once I finish the book, though.)

Anyway, I came up with these while passing the time between GoT seasons, and figured I'd post them here because fans of the books might also appreciate them. I'm also working on a Targaryen crest for something along the same lines as these, as well as a "Valar Morghulis" design.

If you like em, click em.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #502
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Martin stole "Valar" from Tolkien

Just saying

Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #503
Victarion
Cut

Tolkien raided the Norsefolk for his Asylum-grade ripoff fanfics.

I read in a YT comment that Ramsey Bolton makes Joff look like Mother Theresa. Is that true? I'm nearly done with AGOT. Its going much better. Hopefully I'll be able to stick with it.

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Old 11-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #504
childeroland
Side-Kick

Ramsey makes EVERYONE look like Mother Theresa.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

Old 11-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #505
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post

*loads rifle*

H.E.(R?)
Old 11-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #506
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post

I read in a YT comment that Ramsey Bolton makes Joff look like Mother Theresa. Is that true? I'm nearly done with AGOT. Its going much better. Hopefully I'll be able to stick with it.
My favorite character in the series because of his brutality. Rape, torture, cannibalism, human death and suffering as entertainment. I could go on, this guy is like baby Vlad Dracula.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #507
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

*loads rifle*
*loads AK*
I got your back, Sawyer!

Old 11-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #508
Baramos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
My favorite character in the series because of his brutality. Rape, torture, cannibalism, human death and suffering as entertainment. I could go on, this guy is like baby Vlad Dracula.
I like Victarion Greyjoy better. When Ramsay does all that it just seems crazy. Victarion makes it badass.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #509
nite-owl
Side-Kick

George R.R. Martin Explains Whether ‘Game of Thrones’ or ‘Lord of the Rings’ Characters Would Win in a Fight.

http://www.slashfilm.com/votd-george...in-in-a-fight/

I like the irony of Boromir vs Ned Stark.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #510
Buford The Sly
Hit'n the deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticOne View Post
Isn't the Night Watch trying to get there?
No I think you're thinking of the place north of the wall
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
where all the wildings are supposedly lining up to become wights.
Skaggos is an island in the narrow sea a bit south east of the Wall. It's full of cannibals so the Nights Watch and all the rest of Westeros steers clear of it.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #511
HydraSupreme
Newbie First Class

I read the first two books of Song of Ice and Fire 2 months ago.

Now I bought the paperback of Sword of Storms recently but haven't had the time to read since I'm busy re-reading Dune.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #512
CrypticOne
Beautiful Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydraSupreme View Post
I read the first two books of Song of Ice and Fire 2 months ago.

Now I bought the paperback of Sword of Storms recently but haven't had the time to read since I'm busy re-reading Dune.
How is Dune?

"There has been an awakening. Have you felt it? The dark side. And the light."
Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #513
HydraSupreme
Newbie First Class

Dune is awesome. I'm more used to the 1984 Dune movie though since I remember going to it at the drive in theater back then. I even got some trading cards free too at the time. Movie Baron was so creepy along with Rabban and Sting being all sexy in his weird sci fi metal bikini.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #514
HydraSupreme
Newbie First Class

My dad was probably a fan of Dune so he was the only person that was excited to go to the movie. I think my mom must have been bored out of her mind having to be dragged along to go see the movie lol.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #515
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick

Some more designs I came up with. Click if you like them.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #516
Lord
All Mighty

For a fan watching the show only, do you guys recomend picking up A storm of Swords or was there too much cut material?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 01-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #517
Buford The Sly
Hit'n the deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
For a fan watching the show only, do you guys recomend picking up A storm of Swords or was there too much cut material?
You wouldn't be totally lost if you did that, however there are things that were shifted around that would confuse you a bit. Plus there are things in the books that were "done" better. For example Arya's storyline and Jon Snow's storyline. There are some things I like better in the show than in the books so it's a give and take kind of thing. Things like where the Reeds came from and a lot of the backstory stuff that they left out of the show might confuse you. Plus there's a character that shows up at the end of Dany's chapters of A Clash of Kings that they are most likely pushing to the beginning of this third season of the show that has a pretty big impact on things moving forward. If none of that stuff bothers you then dive right in on A Storm of Swords because it's the standard bearer of the series. The next season should be stellar.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #518
Lord
All Mighty

If it wasn't the wikia i wouldn't know half the things they were talking about in the wall on the show, i tried to read a little of the book, decided it was better to read the war of he five kings and skip the wall parts for a later reread of the books. While there was that new character (Cousin of Jamie i believe), i wasn't very lost.

Since the chapters are done by characters would i loose much if i read the plot of setting at a time? For example, first reading the Daenerys parts, then the ones of the war of five kings and only later the events at the wall?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #519
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

I wouldn't recommend it because some characters begin to intersect more. So you'll be even more confused.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #520
Buford The Sly
Hit'n the deck

Quote:
If it wasn't the wikia i wouldn't know half the things they were talking about in the wall on the show, i tried to read a little of the book, decided it was better to read the war of he five kings and skip the wall parts for a later reread of the books. While there was that new character (Cousin of Jamie i believe), i wasn't very lost.

Since the chapters are done by characters would i loose much if i read the plot of setting at a time? For example, first reading the Daenerys parts, then the ones of the war of five kings and only later the events at the wall?
I never recommend skipping through the chapters, even though I know a ton of people who can't help themselves. They are structured like that for a reason and things that people mention (especially in A Storm of Swords) get ruined for you. But believe me The Wall (and Beyond) stuff, gets real interesting (along with everything else). It's a great book.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #521
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

A Storm of Swords is definitely not the book to skip chapters or read in a different order (A Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons are more flexibile, IMO). The first 1/3rd can feel a little slow. Once you get there though, it's hard to stop reading.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #522
Lord
All Mighty

The problem with the events at the wall are that it seems like there's a lot of material cut from the show, so i'm kind of lost with the characters

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 01-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #523
Buford The Sly
Hit'n the deck

Quote:
The problem with the events at the wall are that it seems like there's a lot of material cut from the show, so i'm kind of lost with the characters
Well like I said the book version of all of that is better but all the important beats were there in the show. There are some characters, like Chett, that were cut from the show and he's the POV of the first chapter in A Storm of Swords. But besides that it shouldn't be too confusing. The Wall and beyond stuff gets split into two different story threads going forward from the second season. We'll follow Jon Snow and Sam (yes he lives).

Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #524
Baramos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydraSupreme View Post
Dune is awesome. I'm more used to the 1984 Dune movie though since I remember going to it at the drive in theater back then. I even got some trading cards free too at the time. Movie Baron was so creepy along with Rabban and Sting being all sexy in his weird sci fi metal bikini.
My only joke about Dune is I think it takes less time to read the book than watch the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord
The characters are Legion and the plot already labyrinthine enough that I certainly couldn't recommend reading stuff out of the order Martin put it in, at least the first time through (obviously in rereads I have seen if the character chapters just flow together without the others in between, with mixed results).

Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #525
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sentinel View Post
Martin stole "Valar" from Tolkien

Just saying
"Railroad" took something from Tolkien? No kiddin'!

He may also take from Tolkien soon in that his work's adaptations will have to pare down a lot of filler (cough AFFC and ADWD cough), I'm just saying, I'm just saying. But that was nice to know.

--John Adams
Closed Thread