The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 10-29-2012, 04:14 AM   #126
The Webmistress
Newbie First Class

Default Re: Looking for some good Fantasy

I adore Mercedes Lackey. She has a vast arena of fantasy to delve into, with historic, created, and modern types available. for her I'd suggest: The Valdemar/Velgarth series, the Elemental Masters, the SERRAted Edge, Bardic Voices, 500 Kingdoms... I have yet to read a book by her I dislike.

Dresden Files are fantastic as well; I don't like first person normally, but Dresden really shouldn't be done any other way, since it delves into his mind for everything.

The Percy Jackson books I found quite good, though I wasn't expecting it. I enjoyed those far more than I thought I would. But then, I love Greek mythology.

Simon Green's Hawk & Fisher series... gritty yet also with humor lacing throughout it.

Anne McCaffrey & Todd McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern. Always a superb read. She and Lackey are ones that always reach in and pull out my emotions, good or bad.

The Webmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #127
Maximus One
Oddball

What about the DragonLance series? I've read a few of them and what I did read I found very enjoyable. I've always been more a science fiction guy than a fantasy guy but I did enjoy a few of them quite much. I think I should get into some R.A. Salvatore stuff though, I've heard The Legend of Drzzt is amazing

Maximus One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #128
Baramos
Side-Kick

The Legend of Drizzt's first three novels (The Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver, and The Halfling's Gem) are pretty good if you just enjoy a ripping adventure. There's also the "prequel" Dark Elf trilogy (Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn) but of those I only felt Homeland was really good (but I might have just had higher standards by the time I read them). After these, though, I felt the series kind of just retread the same old ground and got a bit monotonous. They're still quite readable though, and you can kind of just jump into them (I read The Thousand Orcs trilogy recently without really reading more than one or two of the books that came between it and The Halfling's Gem). Just don't look for amazing prose or anything like that...

I absolutely loved the first Dragonlance book, Dragons of Autumn Twilight. But I disliked the next two (Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawn) as they felt like the focus on the series was spread far too thin. In the first book the members of the party are all together throughout its length, there aren't myriad storylines to follow. With the next two the storylines get spread all throughout Krynn and they didn't do it for me. However, some of the later books are supposed to be quite good (involving the wizard Raistlin).

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #129
Victarion
Cut

The Pirate King is the best Drizzt novel I've read to date. Mainly because Salvatore broke a few norms for the character.

Also by Salvatore, The Sellswords Trilogy. The omnibus is out now and I recommend it! The trilogy follows the assassin Artemis Entreri and the dark elf mercenary Jarlaxle Baenre. Leaps ahead of his Drizzt novels and more self-contained; Book 3 bookends with Book 1 pretty well.

If you want Dragonlance, pick up the Raistlin Chronicles omnibus. The first novel in there, The Soulforge gives more focus on the Heroes of the Lance before the events of Dragonlance Chronciles. Weis's writing is also more powerful than in the Chronicles or Legends trilogy; however this one was published much later than either of those trilogies. Brothers-In-Arms is more a Kitiara story than Raistlin and Caramon, but it was still good.

Last edited by Victarion; 11-04-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #130
Wyrminarrd
Side-Kick

The original Chronicles in Dragonlance where great, as is the Twins trilogy. I read a lot of these books when I was younger but after they switched to a new age I just completely lost interest though I had been losing interest for a long time before that.

Wyrminarrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #131
loki.

THE HUNGER GAMES TRILOGY by Suzanne Collins.
This is what I highly recommend. I am reading this now, and by far it is an escape.
Especially with an interest in Dystopian world.
In order: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay.

loki. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #132
Baramos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Also by Salvatore, The Sellswords Trilogy. The omnibus is out now and I recommend it! The trilogy follows the assassin Artemis Entreri and the dark elf mercenary Jarlaxle Baenre. Leaps ahead of his Drizzt novels and more self-contained; Book 3 bookends with Book 1 pretty well.
Yeah I thought it was pretty hilarious when I had basically skipped ahead to The Thousand Orcs and Drizzt still hadn't killed Artemis Entreri yet. Hell they aren't even at loggerheads anymore, now Jarlaxle is his nemesis (well, one of them). Salvatore's probably afraid to kill off any of his popular characters like Entreri. Apparently in the newer ones
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
he's part undead, but still kicking

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote