The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #51
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New Jeruz
Posts: 799
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
I don't know the first thing about Mark Millar (I won't touch Ultimate X-Men with a 10 foot pole) but something about him rubs me the wrong way... maybe something about the way he comes across, almost as if he's like "MAN FOX was headed in such a pitiful state with X-Men, thank GOD they hired ME!"

Also I don't like the idea of uniting FF and X-Men. TBH I've never liked X-Men and other heroes in the same universe even in Marvel comics... why is it that X-Men are hated and feared but FF get their own damn tower and are considered celebs? Why is Spider-Man generally a well-liked individual by the folks of New York? Teeecccchnically FF and SM aren't "mutants" per se but using that technicality is like narrow-minded bigots hating people for being born gay but being ok with those who are "accidentally" gay.

I also don't think DOFP is the time or place for FF to appear beyond perhaps a nod (like a ruined FF tower in the future). They weren't around in the 60s so really the future is the only opportunity to hint at them. The third FC movie should not take place any later than the 80s, which is still too early to bring in FF, and ideally the third movie won't deal with present-day X-Men (I'm hoping they use DOFP to create two lines: FC trilogy and a new set of current-timeline X-Men, in SEPARATE films).

Either way like I said, do not see FF and X-Men tying together as a necessary thing. Just because Avengers got it more or less right doesn't mean "Fantastic 4 & The X-Men" will be a license to print money.
Best post in a while.. Just think if Fox wasn't so gung ho in keeping the FF rights we'd be getting a Deadpool or New Mutants film in 2 years..

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #52
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,892
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
Best post in a while.. Just think if Fox wasn't so gung ho in keeping the FF rights we'd be getting a Deadpool or New Mutants film in 2 years..
They probably figure the rights are too lucrative to just hand back for free. You need to get your business head on, not just your fanboy head!

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, CA:TWS 7/10, GoTG 7.5/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #53
YoungPrime
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 401
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
They probably figure the rights are too lucrative to just hand back for free. You need to get your business head on, not just your fanboy head!
True but that's only if the film is considered profitable....

Unlike Sony who did at least have 2 decent Spider-man films the FF franchise was a wash. So rebooting it will be a harder task.

And with all the heavy hitters that are releasing in 2015, an FF reboot that wasn't that well received the first time around could likely be crushed. Which would be a 130+ million invested down the drain.

Fox isn't stupid, They'll be keeping a close eye on how The Wolverine aka "Mickey Mouse" does. And just like how Battleship flopped and Paramount pushed back G.I. Joe's sequel (because they know its crap). Fox will halt any endeavors currently on the table other than DOFP if The Wolverine fails to make a decent profit.

So lets hope for the best.

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #54
YoungPrime
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 401
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
I don't know the first thing about Mark Millar (I won't touch Ultimate X-Men with a 10 foot pole) but something about him rubs me the wrong way... maybe something about the way he comes across, almost as if he's like "MAN FOX was headed in such a pitiful state with X-Men, thank GOD they hired ME!"

Also I don't like the idea of uniting FF and X-Men. TBH I've never liked X-Men and other heroes in the same universe even in Marvel comics... why is it that X-Men are hated and feared but FF get their own damn tower and are considered celebs? Why is Spider-Man generally a well-liked individual by the folks of New York? Teeecccchnically FF and SM aren't "mutants" per se but using that technicality is like narrow-minded bigots hating people for being born gay but being ok with those who are "accidentally" gay.

I also don't think DOFP is the time or place for FF to appear beyond perhaps a nod (like a ruined FF tower in the future). They weren't around in the 60s so really the future is the only opportunity to hint at them. The third FC movie should not take place any later than the 80s, which is still too early to bring in FF, and ideally the third movie won't deal with present-day X-Men (I'm hoping they use DOFP to create two lines: FC trilogy and a new set of current-timeline X-Men, in SEPARATE films).

Either way like I said, do not see FF and X-Men tying together as a necessary thing. Just because Avengers got it more or less right doesn't mean "Fantastic 4 & The X-Men" will be a license to print money.
This is a good post.
But I think the whole "Suspend your disbelief" comes into play a lot with comic books. Still a good point though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
Best post in a while.. Just think if Fox wasn't so gung ho in keeping the FF rights we'd be getting a Deadpool or New Mutants film in 2 years..
True food for thought LOL

Since we're on the subject of Millar, a guy on another site did bring up a crazy notion asking what if Mark Millar is actually a Marvel plant brought in to sabotage Fox's films...?

You can picture him calling back to headquarters saying something like, "Phase One is complete Matthew Vaughn is no longer directing DOFP. Now proceeding with Phase Two..."

Meanwhile the real Mickey Mouse hangs up the phone on the other end and lights a cigar at his desk...

Hmmm....far fetched or plausible?

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #55
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 22,940
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

You are aware that Mickey Mouse is a fictional character, right??

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #56
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New Jeruz
Posts: 799
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
You are aware that Mickey Mouse is a fictional character, right??
Yes we are aware. Lol!! Mickey Mouse is just used as a symbol referencing the head of Disney/Marvel.

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #57
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New Jeruz
Posts: 799
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPrime View Post

Since we're on the subject of Millar, a guy on another site did bring up a crazy notion asking what if Mark Millar is actually a Marvel plant brought in to sabotage Fox's films...?

You can picture him calling back to headquarters saying something like, "Phase One is complete Matthew Vaughn is no longer directing DOFP. Now proceeding with Phase Two..."

Meanwhile the real Mickey Mouse hangs up the phone on the other end and lights a cigar at his desk...

Hmmm....far fetched or plausible?
Does Millar still write for marvel? I thought he may have jumped ship to concentrate on his comics. I'd think it would be a conflict of interest. But that is a interesting conspiracy theory.

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #58
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 45,243
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
why is it that X-Men are hated and feared but FF get their own damn tower and are considered celebs? Why is Spider-Man generally a well-liked individual by the folks of New York?
The XMEN are natural genetic mutations that could happen to anyone (you, your brother, your sister, your son, etc...) and people fear that they or someone they love could turn into somekind of monster...and thus hate the idea of mutation, and focus it on the XMEN. Many of the times that the XMEN make the news is when fighting other mutants or the government...so they are percieved as troublemakers.

Well known and respected scientist Reed Richards did an experiment of flying a rocket into space without proper radiation protection that caused him and his friends to be changed into the FANTASTIC FOUR. The average person's chance of flying off into space on an under protected rocketship are next to zero. The FF first came to the public's attention by saving New York City from invasion. They are percieved as unlucky heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
I also don't think DOFP is the time or place for FF to appear beyond perhaps a nod (like a ruined FF tower in the future). They weren't around in the 60s so really the future is the only opportunity to hint at them.
Are you speaking of the FF from the comics or the movies? The FF of the comics were around in the 60's...and we do not know if the FF of the movies were around then or not yet.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #59
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New Jeruz
Posts: 799
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
The XMEN are natural genetic mutations that could happen to anyone (you, your brother, your sister, your son, etc...) and people fear that they or someone they love could turn into somekind of monster...and thus hate the idea of mutation, and focus it on the XMEN. Many of the times that the XMEN make the news is when fighting other mutants or the government...so they are percieved as troublemakers.
But even that doesn't make sense. There's good meta humans and bad ones even if they weren't born a mutant. Their physiology is altered to make them a threat so why is one hated and one not? Simple. The X-men weren't created to make sense as much as to make a statement of being against bigotry and intolerance to others that are different. Even that is sort of lost in the current x-men movies and comics.

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #60
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 45,243
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
But even that doesn't make sense. There's good meta humans and bad ones even if they weren't born a mutant. Their physiology is altered to make them a threat so why is one hated and one not? Simple. The X-men weren't created to make sense as much as to make a statement of being against bigotry and intolerance to others that are different. Even that is sort of lost in the current x-men movies and comics.
There are good and people in every group. All Muslims are not terrorists planning on causing the downfall of the Western world...but many people act like they are. Not all Christians are narrow minded uptight bigots...but many people act they are.

Yes, the XMEN were created as a statement about bigotry and intolerance of the times....that it still holds true today. People tend to be afraid of and hate what they are not and do not understand. The first time the most of the public heard of the FF...they were fighting to save the city of New York. The first time most of the public heard of the XMEN is because of the destruction caused by mutants fighting mutants. People's first perceptions are always hard to overcome.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #61
YoungPrime
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 401
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
Yes we are aware. Lol!! Mickey Mouse is just used as a symbol referencing the head of Disney/Marvel.
That and it sounds better than "Bob Iger".

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #62
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,892
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

The X-Men are perceived as a threat, an emerging new species that - as the films keep telling us - could do what Cro-Magnon did to the Neanderthal. The general policy of hiding in the shadows to avoid discrimination is sensible, but is perceived by humans as making them even more unknown, furtive and sinister. They're perceived to be vigilantes with hidden agendas.

The FF were born normal humans and were public figures who have never hidden away. They're not perceived to be the next stage in human evolution, they are seen as victims of accidental radiation exposure.

Those people who have powers but weren't born with them (what Marvel calls 'mutates' rather than mutants and what DC calls 'metahumans') also come in for suspicion and criticism if they hide their identities, as with Spider-Man and Jameson's relentless campaign against him.

I think it's a lot to do with being secretive and therefore seeming to have mysterious motives. That can happen with gay people too; those who are out, loud, proud and obvious are often more happily accepted in society than those who 'hide' their sexuality.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, CA:TWS 7/10, GoTG 7.5/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #63
YoungPrime
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 401
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
Does Millar still write for marvel? I thought he may have jumped ship to concentrate on his comics. I'd think it would be a conflict of interest. But that is a interesting conspiracy theory.
Yeah, from Millars POV, it's probably more than what he was getting as a writer at Marvel so you can't blame him for not passing up the opportunity.

But considering the 90 to 10 split in box office revenues favoring Fox, (a deal made while Marvel was facing bankruptcy) I can't see how Marvel/Disney could wish them any type of legitimate success with these 2 franchises as it stands.

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #64
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New Jeruz
Posts: 799
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
The X-Men are perceived as a threat, an emerging new species that - as the films keep telling us - could do what Cro-Magnon did to the Neanderthal. The general policy of hiding in the shadows to avoid discrimination is sensible, but is perceived by humans as making them even more unknown, furtive and sinister. They're perceived to be vigilantes with hidden agendas.
But the movies can show that stance and not be questioned because the only superpowered beings in that universe are Mutants. There are no Super-Solders, Demi-Gods or Gamma Radiated Monsters to show any other potential threats. It'll be a little more complicated to the GA if the films were to be in one universe like the comics..

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #65
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,892
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
But the movies can show that stance and not be questioned because the only superpowered beings in that universe are Mutants. There are no Super-Solders, Demi-Gods or Gamma Radiated Monsters to show any other potential threats. It'll be a little more complicated to the GA if the films were to be in one universe like the comics..
Well, they won't ALL be in one universe. It will be X-Men + F4. Both products of radiation, in fact!

And we don't yet know exactly how the films will deal with the emergence of the Fantastic Four. Maybe it will be a slower progression towards public acceptance.

The other thing is that in the comics, there has been prejudice against superhumans other than mutants. In the DoFP comics, the Sentinels turned on all superhumans in the end, not just mutants, and we see the graves of the F4 and a montage of dead heroes including Iron Man, Spider-Man, Hulk and Captain America. In fact, there has also been a Superhuman Registration Act in which all superbeings were targeted - it first appeared in the 1990 comics and then as part of the 2006 crossover Civil War.

Plus, Reed and Sue Richards have a mutant son, Franklin, who is part of DoFP in the comics.

All that points to the fact that it's not as clear-cut you may want to think.

In addition, there have been mutants in the Avengers, including Beast, Scarlet Witch, and they don't seem to face the same prejudice as Avengers as they did in the X-Men stories.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, CA:TWS 7/10, GoTG 7.5/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10

Last edited by X-Maniac; 11-13-2012 at 03:58 PM.
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #66
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New Jeruz
Posts: 799
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Well, they won't ALL be in one universe. It will be X-Men + F4. Both products of radiation, in fact!
X-Men a product of radiation??

Quote:
And we don't yet know exactly how the films will deal with the emergence of the Fantastic Four. Maybe it will be a slower progression towards public acceptance.
See now if you have to change all that just so it'll make sense/fit in the X-Men only universe it'll take the team out of character because in the comics they were celebrities from the beginning. Hence why I'm against the shared FF/X-Men universe without the rest of the MCU. X-Men makes more sense to exist in the universe on their own where the only super powered beings are genetic mutants and no modified mutates.

Quote:
The other thing is that in the comics, there has been prejudice against superhumans other than mutants. In the DoFP comics, the Sentinels turned on all superhumans in the end, not just mutants, and we see the graves of the F4 and a montage of dead heroes including Iron Man, Spider-Man, Hulk and Captain America. In fact, there has also been a Superhuman Registration Act in which all superbeings were targeted - it first appeared in the 1990 comics and then as part of the 2006 crossover Civil War.
True but that only would need to be addressed if Marvel were to get the rights back to the X-Men (Which will never happen) and I'm sure this version of DOFP will be the eliminating of X-Gene mutants only..

Quote:
Plus, Reed and Sue Richards have a mutant son, Franklin, who is part of DoFP in the comics.
On a side note on Franklin is that the only reason he's classified as a Mutants cause he was born with powers. But he was not born with the X-Gene as other mutants as his powers derive from his parents cosmic radiation exposure. So in reality he's really not a mutant, though if the definition is "born with powers" then he is. He has cosmically mutated genes.

Quote:
All that points to the fact that it's not as clear-cut you may want to think.

In addition, there have been mutants in the Avengers, including Beast, Scarlet Witch, and they don't seem to face the same prejudice as Avengers as they did as X-Men.
I look at them like this. Say you have a prejudice against African- Americans that they are Criminal, drug dealing, gun toting, Thugs and listen to rap music. So, then you meet one that doesn't fit those descriptions. Has a good corporate job, Nice family, and listens to classical music.. They'll tend to justify that African American as I still have prejudice but he/she aren't like the rest of them. He/she is OK. So once Beast,Scarlet Witch,Quicksilver joined the Avengers they were considered the OK mutants and not like the others. Its stupid but that is based on normal, but ignorant human behavior.

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #67
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,892
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
X-Men a product of radiation??
They were called Children of the Atom in the comics, and that was also mentioned in First Class. Atom = atomic energy. Xavier theorises in First Class (when speaking to the CIA) that the rising use of nuclear power has led to many more superpowered mutants emerging. There's also been mention of it in the comics. That's because radiation is a known mutagenic agent. Not the only cause, but nonethless a cause. Some mutations are spontaneous, some are triggered by external factors like radiation, chemicals, viruses. In the comics, Beast progressed to his furry blue state when he discovered the 'chemical cause' of mutation. Xavier mentioned in the comics that his parents worked on the first atom bomb project, hinting at radiation playing a part.

Quote:
See now if you have to change all that just so it'll make sense/fit in the X-Men only universe it'll take the team out of character because in the comics they were celebrities from the beginning. Hence why I'm against the shared FF/X-Men universe without the rest of the MCU. X-Men makes more sense to exist in the universe on their own where the only super powered beings are genetic mutants and no modified mutates.
Well, we don't know if/when/how the X-Men and F4 will cross over in the films. I doubt it will be for a long time. We'll have to wait and see what they come up with.

Quote:
True but that only would need to be addressed if Marvel were to get the rights back to the X-Men (Which will never happen) and I'm sure this version of DOFP will be the eliminating of X-Gene mutants only..
Maybe. We don't yet know what will be in the big-screen version of DoFP.

Quote:
On a side note on Franklin is that the only reason he's classified as a Mutants cause he was born with powers. But he was not born with the X-Gene as other mutants as his powers derive from his parents cosmic radiation exposure. So in reality he's really not a mutant, though if the definition is "born with powers" then he is. He has cosmically mutated genes.
Franklin is a mutant. There's no technically, in reality, ifs and buts.

The comic book separation of mutants and mutates is scientifically dubious anyway. Hulk's DNA has obviously been mutated. But since he wasn't born with it, they call him a 'mutate' not a mutant.

Anyway, for whatever reason, Franklin is a mutant.

Quote:
I look at them like this. Say you have a prejudice against African- Americans that they are Criminal, drug dealing, gun toting, Thugs and listen to rap music. So, then you meet one that doesn't fit those descriptions. Has a good corporate job, Nice family, and listens to classical music.. They'll tend to justify that African American as I still have prejudice but he/she aren't like the rest of them. He/she is OK. So once Beast,Scarlet Witch,Quicksilver joined the Avengers they were considered the OK mutants and not like the others. Its stupid but that is based on normal, but ignorant human behavior
Well, we will have to see how it all plays out on the big screen. At this moment, I can't see Fox giving up F4. It's up to them to figure out what works and doesn't. I guess that's part of the reason Millar is on board, to figure out if/how/when the two teams could appear together on screen.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, CA:TWS 7/10, GoTG 7.5/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #68
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New Jeruz
Posts: 799
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
They were called Children of the Atom in the comics, and that was also mentioned in First Class. Atom = atomic energy. Xavier theorises in First Class (when speaking to the CIA) that the rising use of nuclear power has led to many more superpowered mutants emerging. There's also been mention of it in the comics. That's because radiation is a known mutagenic agent. Not the only cause, but nonethless a cause. Some mutations are spontaneous, some are triggered by external factors like radiation, chemicals, viruses. In the comics, Beast progressed to his furry blue state when he discovered the 'chemical cause' of mutation. Xavier mentioned in the comics that his parents worked on the first atom bomb project, hinting at radiation playing a part.
I've always understood Mutants as Homo Superior the next evolution of Mankind and that Apocalypse was the first known mutant with the X-gene and none of this had anything to do with Nuclear or any kind of radiation.. You may need to check your facts on that one though It may be explained different in the movies but thats why Fox is evil to me LOL!!!

Quote:
Franklin is a mutant. There's no technically, in reality, ifs and buts.

The comic book separation of mutants and mutates is scientifically dubious anyway. Hulk's DNA has obviously been mutated. But since he wasn't born with it, they call him a 'mutate' not a mutant.

Anyway, for whatever reason, Franklin is a mutant.
I guess if they say so then it is..



Quote:
Well, we will have to see how it all plays out on the big screen. At this moment, I can't see Fox giving up F4. It's up to them to figure out what works and doesn't. I guess that's part of the reason Millar is on board, to figure out if/how/when the two teams could appear together on screen.
Then I don't know why they hired Mark Millar over any hack that could easily figure out how to make it work. They didn't even need to hire someone with Marvel Comics knowledge to figure out something that can't be Marvel truly based. I just don't understand what they want to get out of this except to keep the FF from Marvel so they can't have it and not that the FF will be profitable for Fox. The FF does nothing for fox as they can come out with 1 or 2 X-movies a year because they're so may characters just like Marvel studios shouldn't own CABLE because Fox would make better use out of him.

I wanna see a Deadpool movie. A script is written. But no development because they want to keep character rights that they have no business and probably not even good business to have?

It's just dumb..

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #69
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,892
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
I've always understood Mutants as Homo Superior the next evolution of Mankind and that Apocalypse was the first known mutant with the X-gene and none of this had anything to do with Nuclear or any kind of radiation.. You may need to check your facts on that one though It may be explained different in the movies but thats why Fox is evil to me LOL!!!
I don't need to check any facts. You do.

The X-Men COMICS referred to them as 'children of the atom', and also mentioned radiation several other times as a factor in producing mutants.

As I said - if you could please read my reply again, properly this time - mutations can occur spontaneously, without any obvious cause. But they can also be triggered by external factors, including radiation - whether naturally occurring (like that from the sun, other parts of space, or from radioactive elements in rocks in the Earth) or man-made (nuclear weapons, nuclear power stations etc).

In the COMICS, Xavier's parents worked on the atom bomb. In the COMICS, Beast was made blue and furry by a chemical advancing his mutation. In the COMICS, the Sentinels were convinced that radiation was the cause of mutation and that to eliminate mutation, they should eliminate the primary cause of radiation on earth - the sun. They flew into the sun and were destroyed. I also believe Sunfire mentioned his parents as victims of the Hiroshima blast, hinting at that being a factor in his being a mutant.

Bottom line = radiation is a factor in mutations. In First Class, they said the nuclear age had led to the sudden appearance of many more of these superpowered mutants than might otherwise happen naturally. That explains the long gap between Apocalypse emerging and the mutants of the 1960s, as there weren't many other known superhumans in the period between.


Quote:
Then I don't know why they hired Mark Millar over any hack that could easily figure out how to make it work. They didn't even need to hire someone with Marvel Comics knowledge to figure out something that can't be Marvel truly based. I just don't understand what they want to get out of this except to keep the FF from Marvel so they can't have it and not that the FF will be profitable for Fox. The FF does nothing for fox as they can come out with 1 or 2 X-movies a year because they're so may characters just like Marvel studios shouldn't own CABLE because Fox would make better use out of him.
Millar did work on Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four. He also knows Matthew Vaughn. Those may be part of the reason.

Quote:
I wanna see a Deadpool movie. A script is written. But no development because they want to keep character rights that they have no business and probably not even good business to have?
They are probably trying to link it to their new 'cinematic universe' rather than just do a one-off, standalone film. That's my guess anyway.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, CA:TWS 7/10, GoTG 7.5/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10

Last edited by X-Maniac; 11-13-2012 at 05:55 PM.
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #70
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New Jeruz
Posts: 799
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I don't need to check any facts. You do.

The X-Men COMICS referred to them as 'children of the atom', and also mentioned radiation several other times as a factor in producing mutants.

As I said - if you could please read my reply again, properly this time - mutations can occur spontaneously, without any obvious cause. But they can also be triggered by external factors, including radiation - whether naturally occurring (like that from the sun, other parts of space, or from radioactive elements in rocks in the Earth) or man-made (nuclear weapons, nuclear power stations etc).

In the COMICS, Xavier's parents worked on the atom bomb. In the COMICS, Beast was made blue and furry by a chemical advancing his mutation. In the COMICS, the Sentinels were convinced that radiation was the cause of mutation and that to eliminate mutation, they should eliminate the primary cause of radiation on earth - the sun. They flew into the sun and were destroyed. I also believe Sunfire mentioned his parents as victims of the Hiroshima blast, hinting at that being a factor in his being a mutant.

Bottom line = radiation is a factor in mutations. In First Class, they said the nuclear age had led to the sudden appearance of many more of these superpowered mutants than might otherwise happen naturally. That explains the long gap between Apocalypse emerging and the mutants of the 1960s, as there weren't many other known superhumans in the period between.
Lets put this to rest..
Quote:
From Marvel.com http://marvel.com/universe/MutantsMutants — also known as "homo superior" — are an offshoot sub-species of humanity who are born with genetic abnormalities which grants them abilities, an appearance, or powers beyond the normal variation expressed in the human genome. While their appearance, abilities, and attitude towards their evolutionary cohorts varies widely, all Mutants possess the so-called "X-Gene" which expresses itself around puberty and causes the individual mutant's powers to emerge. Mutants have been been the victims of considerable persecution throughout their history on earth.
While records of Mutants on Earth appear as early as 5,000 years ago (with the emergence of Apocalypse in Egypt) the Mutant population did not grow to significant numbers until the early 20th century. Mutant births, however, began to increase throughout the 20th century (presumably due to environmental factors related to industrialization). In 1920 one of the most prominent mutants was born: Namor the Sub-Mariner, who is considered by many to be the first modern-day Mutant. The Second World War saw the emergence of Mutants as soldiers as several of the species including Toro, the Sub-Mariner, and Wolverine fought in Allied or Axis armies. The World War II era also saw the beginnings of programs which used mutants as genetic soldiers, such as the Weapon Plus program. Mutant births steeped upwards after the end of the war (following the atomic blasts in Hiroshima and Nagasaki).


As Mutant populations grew, human governments and populations reacted harshly to them, and the Mutants began to form widely divergent ideas about how best to live within the larger human society. Mutants broke off in to two rough camps. Professor Charles Xavier articulated and epitomized the ideal that humans and mutants can live together in harmony. Seeking to help his fellow mutants and strengthen the relationship between humans and mutants, he created the Xavier Institute For Higher Learning, a school and safe haven for mutants. He also created a team of mutants called the X-Men who would help protect and recruit mutants while at the same time protecting the people who feared them. Another mutant, a Holocaust survivor named Eric Lensherr, foresaw a war between humans and mutants. Styling himself Magneto, he prepared for that coming war by creating the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. The ideals of Professor X and Magneto clashed (as did various incarnations of their respective teams) as each tried to prove their points to one another and to the world.

As the years passed many mutants joined both Magneto and Xavier's side, and the mutant population began truly to boom. Neither Xavier's nor Magneto's predictions came to pass: the world never entirely accepted mutants, but neither did outright war between mainstream humans and mutants break out. With some difficulty, Magneto was able to establish a Mutant homeland on the island-nation of Genosha, off the coast of Africa. With a species-population numbering in the millions and powers beyond that of their genetic peers, war or no war, it appeared that over time, mutants would eventually supplant humans as the dominant species on Earth.

This dominance came to an abrupt end when two shocks occurred in quick succession. First, the parasitic twin of Xavier, Cassandra Nova caused the extermination of over 16 million mutants worldwide and the utter annihilation of Genosha. Soon after that, Magneto's children Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver conspired to alter reality to ensure Mutant ascendancy (and protect the Scarlet Witch's life). When the Scarlet Witch reverted reality back to it's normal course, (uttering the words "No More Mutants") many former mutants had been de-powered and were now normal human beings. The mutant population is now estimated to be in the hundreds, but a full worldwide census has not been taken.

There have been no Mutant births since M-Day.
So this means we're both right. Radiation does not create the mutation (As I've said) because the X-Gene is already present without any type of radiation, but it may trigger the already present gene to cause that mutation or further mutation to manifest (As you've said).

Cool?

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #71
BMM
Side-Kick
 
BMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,390
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I don't need to check any facts. You do.

The X-Men COMICS referred to them as 'children of the atom', and also mentioned radiation several other times as a factor in producing mutants.

As I said - if you could please read my reply again, properly this time - mutations can occur spontaneously, without any obvious cause. But they can also be triggered by external factors, including radiation - whether naturally occurring (like that from the sun, other parts of space, or from radioactive elements in rocks in the Earth) or man-made (nuclear weapons, nuclear power stations etc).

In the COMICS, Xavier's parents worked on the atom bomb. In the COMICS, Beast was made blue and furry by a chemical advancing his mutation. In the COMICS, the Sentinels were convinced that radiation was the cause of mutation and that to eliminate mutation, they should eliminate the primary cause of radiation on earth - the sun. They flew into the sun and were destroyed. I also believe Sunfire mentioned his parents as victims of the Hiroshima blast, hinting at that being a factor in his being a mutant.

Bottom line = radiation is a factor in mutations. In First Class, they said the nuclear age had led to the sudden appearance of many more of these superpowered mutants than might otherwise happen naturally. That explains the long gap between Apocalypse emerging and the mutants of the 1960s, as there weren't many other known superhumans in the period between.
Bingo. Also, in addition to Charles Xavier, Beast's mutation is attributed to his father’s exposure to radiation while working at a nuclear power plant. Then, there are mutants like Cyclops and Havok, who derive their powers from the sun and by absorbing ambient radiation in the atmosphere. Moreover, in The Animated Series, when asked by Rogue what makes mutants like they are, Beast replies, "Gamma Rays, O-Zone depletion, television."

Where do people think titles like “X-Men: Children of The Atom” come from? Radiation and radiation exposure have been linked to the X-Men since their inception. It's certainly not an idea made up by Fox.


Last edited by BMM; 11-13-2012 at 06:38 PM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #72
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New Jeruz
Posts: 799
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Millar did work on Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four. He also knows Matthew Vaughn. Those may be part of the reason.
Oh the "who you know" reason.. Thats makes sense.



Quote:
They are probably trying to link it to their new 'cinematic universe' rather than just do a one-off, standalone film. That's my guess anyway.
They don't have to one-off any of their X-Characters.

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #73
JP
Smelly
 
JP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 53,136
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

I understand the studio hate when certain studios produce bad movies, but hating a studio because they rightfully own a property is a bit much, don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
Oh the "who you know" reason.. Thats makes sense.
Vaughn helped Millar get the job, yes, but only because Fox were already actively looking for someone. You're making it sound like they created this job just cause Millar and Vaughn are friends, and that isn't the case.

But, what is so wrong with hiring a consultant to bring continuity and connectivity between multiple properties/franchises?

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #74
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New Jeruz
Posts: 799
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I understand the studio hate when certain studios produce bad movies, but hating a studio because they rightfully own a property is a bit much, don't you think?


Vaughn helped Millar get the job, yes, but only because Fox were already actively looking for someone. You're making it sound like they created this job just cause Millar and Vaughn are friends, and that isn't the case.

But, what is so wrong with hiring a consultant to bring continuity and connectivity between multiple properties/franchises?
Well I'm hating on them because I love the FF and in the MCU they can be so much bigger. In the X-Universe they're just a blip. They made 2 screwed FF movies (three if you include the 90's direct to video just to keep he rights the first time) so why is it a bit much? They earned that hate when it comes to the FF. The X-Men not so much so

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #75
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,892
Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
Lets put this to rest..


So this means we're both right. Radiation does not create the mutation (As I've said) because the X-Gene is already present without any type of radiation, but it may trigger the already present gene to cause that mutation or further mutation to manifest (As you've said).

Cool?
I didn't need to put it to rest. I knew all that already. I needed you to understand it, which you now appear to be doing. I'm glad you started doing some reading! Please read up some more on mutation and you'll start to get to grips with the subject.

You also have to bear in mind the X-gene is an invention of the comics, and is not entirely logical. It would take more than one gene to cause all those various powers and appearances. However, we could theorise that the X-gene is some sort of trigger for 'reawakening' some of the huge amount of inactive genetic material in the human body. Did you know that up to 99 per cent of our DNA is not actually active? It's what is sometimes called junk DNA. I would suggest that the X-gene wakes up some of that junk DNA (different bits in different people) and results in the many different superhuman mutations we see in the comics.

The bottom line is that radiation can cause mutation. Not always, but it can.

In the Hulk TV series, there was a great story where they found evidence of a prehistoric man who could also turn into a Hulk-like creature, and they theorised that - as there hadn't been any gamma bombs back then - it must have been radiation reaching earth from a supernova explosion in space.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, CA:TWS 7/10, GoTG 7.5/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.