The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #301
uniqueweasel
Don't Drink and Bake
 
uniqueweasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Skynet
Posts: 1,138
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I love Bruce's Pat Bateman look in that scene.
lol he's just collected his new business cards with subtle off-white colouring and tasteful thickness, they even have water-marks!

uniqueweasel is offline  
Old 11-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #302
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

I find it funny that people seem to slam the fact that TDKR could be nominated for anything, but Warner Brothers would only have a film be considered if it's worthy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
Variety ad:

That would've been one badass Blu-ray cover.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #303
Dark Knight
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: LOST Island
Posts: 15,490
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I find it funny that people seem to slam the fact that TDKR could be nominated for anything, but Warner Brothers would only have a film be considered if it's worthy enough.



That would've been one badass Blu-ray cover.





Love that ad. The film was truly mesmerizing and hypnotic. Out of the 5 times I saw it in the theater. Folks were just staring in awe of the film and in some scenes folks were moving the edge of their seats and clapping.

Dark Knight is offline  
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #304
Dark Knight
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: LOST Island
Posts: 15,490
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
Good directors tend to do that.

He fills the world the characters inhabit with a great sense of detail , without spending time with irrelevant gothamites.

Its called good filmmaking.

The typical generalization of groups or societies behaviors by creating irrelevant storylines is something a guy like michael bay resorts a lot.




Yup!

Dark Knight is offline  
Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #305
Dark Knight
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: LOST Island
Posts: 15,490
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
Exactly. It's also a staple of good storytelling in literature and really any and every medium.



Dark Knight is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #306
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.
 
Pfeiffer-Pfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 9,478
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Nolan does deserve an Oscar... but not for this film, as amazing as it was.

I think it's just technical awards again guys.

__________________
Michelle Pfeiffer:
Cool Rider, Catwoman, Diamond and all round Goddess
http://pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com/

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #307
James.B
Nothing to see here.
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: England
Posts: 217
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Looking at this tweet-https://twitter.com/holger_stark/sta...78518551400448. His next film might be based on the book "Inside WikiLeaks", could be an awards contender.

James.B is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #308
Dragon_316ca
Side-Kick
 
Dragon_316ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,369
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.B View Post
Looking at this tweet-https://twitter.com/holger_stark/sta...78518551400448. His next film might be based on the book "Inside WikiLeaks", could be an awards contender.
It was a mistake. The journalist corrected himself.

__________________
http://twitter.com/#!/Dragon_316_ca

Matthew Modine: You can't really relate to Thor, for instance! I like the story, but I don't relate to him -- I can't use his hammer!
Dragon_316ca is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #309
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.
 
Pfeiffer-Pfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 9,478
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Thank God for that...

__________________
Michelle Pfeiffer:
Cool Rider, Catwoman, Diamond and all round Goddess
http://pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com/

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #310
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

I keep reading complaints on CBM.com over how TDKR shouldn't get any nominations, but I really don't get it...if you look at all the statistics for all three films in Nolan's trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises would be in between The Dark Knight and Batman Begins over critical acclaim, over general audience criticism, over fan criticism, and yet people are making it seem like TDKR doesn't deserve anything. Granted, TDK deserved some more nominations, especially Best Picture, but with the nominations being spread to include more films, why not TDKR? It's a magnificent ending and is indeed one of the best endings to any series of films in a long, long time. That alone should be enough to give TDKR a nom. If a film like Avatar gets acknowledged only for its unique take on 3D and using giant blue aliens instead of humans to narrate a film, then I don't see how TDKR couldn't get nominated.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #311
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,421
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

I almost want TDKR to get nominated for BP if only to have a laugh at all the diehard Bat-geeks complaining at how much of an outrage it is that their favorite character made history. I'd really have to see that to believe it.

BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #312
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 20,690
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I keep reading complaints on CBM.com over how TDKR shouldn't get any nominations, but I really don't get it...if you look at all the statistics for all three films in Nolan's trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises would be in between The Dark Knight and Batman Begins over critical acclaim, over general audience criticism, over fan criticism, and yet people are making it seem like TDKR doesn't deserve anything. Granted, TDK deserved some more nominations, especially Best Picture, but with the nominations being spread to include more films, why not TDKR? It's a magnificent ending and is indeed one of the best endings to any series of films in a long, long time. That alone should be enough to give TDKR a nom. If a film like Avatar gets acknowledged only for its unique take on 3D and using giant blue aliens instead of humans to narrate a film, then I don't see how TDKR couldn't get nominated.
Because it's not good enough.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #313
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 20,690
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I almost want TDKR to get nominated for BP if only to have a laugh at all the diehard Bat-geeks complaining at how much of an outrage it is that their favorite character made history. I'd really have to see that to believe it.
Have fun enjoying that hollow victory when it doesn't pick up Directing, Screenplay or Editing award nominations.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #314
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,421
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

It's better than The Artist. That's good enough.

People should just be better sports. I'm not going to complain if if doesn't get nominated, and I don't think it will. But if it does? Who cares? It's one thing to not want it to get nominated, but if it does...many worse films have been nominated, and in some cases won.

BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #315
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Because it's not good enough.
2011 -

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Hugo, Midnight in Paris, The Tree of Life

2010 -

The Kids Are All Right

2009 -

Avatar, Precious, Up in the Air

2008 -

Milk, The Reader

These weren't good enough, imo, but they still got in.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #316
The Chris
The Dark Knight Rises!
 
The Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Lower East Side of New York City.
Posts: 5,301
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

After extremely loud and incredibly close got in i finally just threw my hands up and stopped caring. That film is so terrible and anger inducing and is the only time I left the theatre steaming mad. I dont want to hear that TDKR or Skyfall or Avengers aren't good enough when that skunk piece of garbage got in.

__________________
1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
2. X-Men: Days of Future Past
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. The Raid 2
5. Grand Budapest Hotel
The Chris is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #317
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,092
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
2011 -

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Hugo, Midnight in Paris, The Tree of Life

2010 -

The Kids Are All Right

2009 -

Avatar, Precious, Up in the Air

2008 -

Milk, The Reader

These weren't good enough, imo, but they still got in.
Yeah, but as a Batfan do you really want The Dark Knight Rises to get nominated on the same grounds? For the nomination of a Batman film as Best Picture to be tainted by the fact that it was the result of campaigning rather than being widely regarded as a great film that deserved it like TDK's nomination would have? That many people will regard it as an undeserved nod?

In a lot of people's opinions, including mine, Nolan screwed up. Of all of Nolan's Batman films, TDKR is the one I would have least wanted to be nominated because it is the one that screws up the Batman mythos. The more I look back upon Nolan's trilogy, the more I can't stand that he reduced Batman to a guy who fought the mob for a few months and then quit because the Joker beat him, and then a decade later came back for one last battle. Like with the ending of Mass Effect 3, i feel like TDKR taints everything that came before. It ruins the whole trilogy's meaning and significance.

DKDetective is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #318
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,717
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Yeah, but as a Batfan do you really want The Dark Knight Rises to get nominated on the same grounds? For the nomination of a Batman film as Best Picture to be tainted by the fact that it was the result of campaigning rather than being widely regarded as a great film that deserved it like TDK's nomination would have? That many people will regard it as an undeserved nod?

In a lot of people's opinions, including mine, Nolan screwed up. Of all of Nolan's Batman films, TDKR is the one I would have least wanted to be nominated because it is the one that screws up the Batman mythos. The more I look back upon Nolan's trilogy, the more I can't stand that he reduced Batman to a guy who fought the mob for a few months and then quit because the Joker beat him, and then a decade later came back for one last battle. Like with the ending of Mass Effect 3, i feel like TDKR taints everything that came before. It ruins the whole trilogy's meaning and significance.
But Bruce's vision of Ra's told him "You, yourself fought the decadence of Gotham for years with all your strength, all your resources, all your moral authority and the only victory you achieved was a lie. Now you understand Gotham is beyond saving and must be allowed to die."

But even if you don't like TDKR, don't be petty and let the first two films be ruined for you. I hate Spider-Man 3; yet I still adore and praise the first two films before it.

JackWhite is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #319
Laderlappen
Fat, drunk, and stupid
 
Laderlappen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In an ice-cold IKEA country
Posts: 4,917
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
2011 -

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Hugo, Midnight in Paris, The Tree of Life

2010 -

The Kids Are All Right

2009 -

Avatar, Precious, Up in the Air

2008 -

Milk, The Reader

These weren't good enough, imo, but they still got in.
So your argument for why the Oscar should nominate movies that dont deserve it, is because they have done it before? What a great fracking logic!

Btw, about half of those did deserve it imo.

__________________
I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse.
Laderlappen is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #320
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1



You guys aren't understanding my point and it sucks that I have to elaborate...

To jmc, TDKR isn't good enough, but I do and seeing how there are films that got nominated and DIDN'T deserve it...it's just funny and so I listed the films that weren't good enough the past four years.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #321
TheGuy
Side-Kick
 
TheGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 673
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Yeah, but as a Batfan do you really want The Dark Knight Rises to get nominated on the same grounds? For the nomination of a Batman film as Best Picture to be tainted by the fact that it was the result of campaigning rather than being widely regarded as a great film that deserved it like TDK's nomination would have? That many people will regard it as an undeserved nod?
No. TDKR is far more well received than those who believe it doesn't deserve a BP nomination. TDK is considered the best, but does TDKR really have to be as legendary as TDK for it to be nominated? I don't think so. I'll freely admit TDK is also the best but TDKR is not far behind.

TheGuy is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #322
Fudgie
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Because it's not good enough.
Yup. Not even a contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Yeah, but as a Batfan do you really want The Dark Knight Rises to get nominated on the same grounds? For the nomination of a Batman film as Best Picture to be tainted by the fact that it was the result of campaigning rather than being widely regarded as a great film that deserved it like TDK's nomination would have? That many people will regard it as an undeserved nod?

In a lot of people's opinions, including mine, Nolan screwed up. Of all of Nolan's Batman films, TDKR is the one I would have least wanted to be nominated because it is the one that screws up the Batman mythos. The more I look back upon Nolan's trilogy, the more I can't stand that he reduced Batman to a guy who fought the mob for a few months and then quit because the Joker beat him, and then a decade later came back for one last battle. Like with the ending of Mass Effect 3, i feel like TDKR taints everything that came before. It ruins the whole trilogy's meaning and significance.
Quoted for truth. Aces posts.

Fudgie is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #323
The Chris
The Dark Knight Rises!
 
The Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Lower East Side of New York City.
Posts: 5,301
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

And honestly it's not like TDK is the one it would be competing against, which is why i don't put it in the argument consideration. It kind of reminds me of a few years ago where I leaving a showing of TDK and this one lady talked about how she didn't think heath ledger deserved to win for the joker because he didn't win it for brokeback mountain. I remember thinking "I don't think he'll be competing against himself is he?" Never really like that kind of argument.

And these boards confuse me so much sometimes. This wasn't a spider-man 3 situation. This isn't a trilogy where the first 2 get 80 and 90 percent ratings and general audience love them and then the third one comes out and gets a 60. I mean, the response for this one is better than BB's, but you wouldn't know it by coming here. I mean I went on imdb, home of some picky dudes to keep it mildly, and it's got an 8.8, only .2 lower than TDK and i think about .5 higher than BB. I talk to regular joes at my job when we had it and would ask them their opinions, and the majority thought of it very highly. We had it for 4 months, and I haven't seen another movie get as many standing ovations for as long a run as this did.

I think in the end a lot more people overall think this deserves accolades way more than the amount of people who don't, which is the big difference between TDKR and most of the movies that Anno mentioned. Like the movie I hate for example Extremely loud and incredibly close, rotten tomatoes (not the fort knox of ratings I know but still) has that movie at 47%. 47%!!!!!, yet that was a best picture nominee. TDKR is an 87. Yeah, I think it's deserving. Definitely. It's my wish that more genre pics get noms honestly. Last years group had no guts.

__________________
1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
2. X-Men: Days of Future Past
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. The Raid 2
5. Grand Budapest Hotel

Last edited by The Chris; 11-13-2012 at 09:01 PM.
The Chris is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #324
TheGuy
Side-Kick
 
TheGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 673
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chris View Post
And honestly it's not like TDK is the one it would be competing against, which is why i don't put it in the argument consideration. It kind of reminds me of a few years ago where I leaving a showing of TDK and this one lady talked about how she didn't think heath ledger deserved to win for the joker because he didn't win it for brokeback mountain. I remember thinking "I don't think he'll be competing against himself is he?" Never really like that kind of argument.

And these boards confuse me so much sometimes. This wasn't a spider-man 3 situation. This isn't a trilogy where the first 2 get 80 and 90 percent ratings and general audience love them and then the third one comes out and gets a 60. I mean, the response for this one is better than BB's, but you wouldn't know it by coming here. I mean I went on imdb, home of some picky dudes to keep it mildly, and it's got an 8.8, only .2 lower than TDK and i think about .5 higher than BB. I talk to regular joes at my job when we had it and would ask them their opinions, and the majority thought of it very highly. We had it for 4 months, and I haven't seen another movie get as many standing ovations for as long a run as this did.

I think in the end a lot more people overall think this deserves accolades way more than the amount of people who don't, which is the big difference between TDKR and most of the movies that Anno mentioned. Like the movie I hate for example Extremely loud and incredibly close, rotten tomatoes (not the fort knox of ratings I know but still) has that movie at 47%. 47%!!!!!, yet that was a best picture nominee. TDKR is an 87. Yeah, I think it's deserving. Definitely. It's my wish that more genre pics get noms honestly. Last years group had no guts.
*claps and claps*

TheGuy is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #325
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chris View Post
And honestly it's not like TDK is the one it would be competing against, which is why i don't put it in the argument consideration. It kind of reminds me of a few years ago where I leaving a showing of TDK and this one lady talked about how she didn't think heath ledger deserved to win for the joker because he didn't win it for brokeback mountain. I remember thinking "I don't think he'll be competing against himself is he?" Never really like that kind of argument.

And these boards confuse me so much sometimes. This wasn't a spider-man 3 situation. This isn't a trilogy where the first 2 get 80 and 90 percent ratings and general audience love them and then the third one comes out and gets a 60. I mean, the response for this one is better than BB's, but you wouldn't know it by coming here. I mean I went on imdb, home of some picky dudes to keep it mildly, and it's got an 8.8, only .2 lower than TDK and i think about .5 higher than BB. I talk to regular joes at my job when we had it and would ask them their opinions, and the majority thought of it very highly. We had it for 4 months, and I haven't seen another movie get as many standing ovations for as long a run as this did.

I think in the end a lot more people overall think this deserves accolades way more than the amount of people who don't, which is the big difference between TDKR and most of the movies that Anno mentioned. Like the movie I hate for example Extremely loud and incredibly close, rotten tomatoes (not the fort knox of ratings I know but still) has that movie at 47%. 47%!!!!!, yet that was a best picture nominee. TDKR is an 87. Yeah, I think it's deserving. Definitely. It's my wish that more genre pics get noms honestly. Last years group had no guts.
You'd think TDKR was so bad with all the crap it gets, when everything shows that it's at least better than Batman Begins(which many seems to deny even):

BB:
70/100 Metacritic (8.5 user rating); 85%, 7.7 average rating on RT (62%, 6.7 top critics)

TDK:
82/100 Metacritic (8.9 user rating); 94%, 8.5 average rating on RT (91%, 8.0 top critics)

TDKR:
78/100 Metacritic (8.6 user rating); 87%, 8.0 average rating on RT (76%, 7.9 top critics)

Anno_Domini is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.