The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #726
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Default Re: Joss Whedon developing Marvel SHIELD series for ABC

It's definitely wise to avoid directly competing with any other popular geek shows. I only watch 2 or 3 shows and DVR them anyway so I have no idea what would be a good timeslot.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #727
Chewy
REDACTED

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-whedon-389604

Elizabeth Henstridge and Iain De Caestecker have boarded the Marvel TV adaptation, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.

Henstridge will play science whiz Agent Gemma Simmons, while De Caestecker will play Agent Leo Fitz, a technology guru. The duo spend all their time together -- mostly bickering -- and are masters at a remarkably young age of their respective fields.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #728
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Nice to see the team's starting to fill out. Can't wait to see who they cast as the Clay Quartermaine-esque guy.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 11-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #729
Chewy
REDACTED

Yeah it seems weird to me that the two characters I assumed were the leads are the last to be cast.

Must be seeing a TON of potentials

Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #730
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

That's probably why they're the last to be cast. They want to take time and get it right.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #731
xeno000
Raining hell from above

They did cast the lead first: Clark Gregg as Agent Coulson. All the rest are minions, so those roles are being filled last.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #732
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #733
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

Old 11-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #734
Filmboy
Banned User

I'm really excited and can't wait for this tv series to debut next year. Hope it will be as good as Whedon's underated "Dollhouse"

Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #735
Wyrminarrd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-whedon-389604

Elizabeth Henstridge and Iain De Caestecker have boarded the Marvel TV adaptation, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.

Henstridge will play science whiz Agent Gemma Simmons, while De Caestecker will play Agent Leo Fitz, a technology guru. The duo spend all their time together -- mostly bickering -- and are masters at a remarkably young age of their respective fields.
This really sounds like they are just copying the tech support characters in NCIS: LA

Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #736
DrDoom
Dictator

I've never seen any of those "Alphabet Shows" so it wont affect me, besides those seem like pretty generic/commonly used character dynamics

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #737
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Why the eye rolling? Didn't Whedon and Feige say Coulson was going to be the main character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
This really sounds like they are just copying the tech support characters in NCIS: LA
Two people who argue all the time but are also best friends/in love isn't something unique to NCIS:LA.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #738
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I hope SHIELD doesn't turn out to have the same tone as NCIS though. That gets tiresome after a while with the likes of Dinozo, Abby, McGee and even Ziva doing their silly routine. And yet, that's almost like early Joss Whedon. I preferred the tone of JAG to NCIS where there was some humour, but not just silliness the whole time. I think NCIS was not only trying to distinguish itself from its parent show but also other series like CSI. Can't really comment on the tone of NCIS: LA as I don't really follow that.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #739
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I hope SHIELD doesn't turn out to have the same tone as NCIS though. That gets tiresome after a while with the likes of Dinozo, Abby, McGee and even Ziva doing their silly routine. And yet, that's almost like early Joss Whedon. I preferred the tone of JAG to NCIS where there was some humour, but not just silliness the whole time. I think NCIS was not only trying to distinguish itself from its parent show but also other series like CSI. Can't really comment on the tone of NCIS: LA as I don't really follow that.
I get what you mean; I find the "suburban justice" theme that permeates shows like NCIS and The Mentalist kind of annoying.

However, these shows have huge audiences, so with SHIELD, if it is done judiciously and draws a much bigger audience into the Marvel Universe we know and love, I'm all for it.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #740
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
I get what you mean; I find the "suburban justice" theme that permeates shows like NCIS and The Mentalist kind of annoying.

However, these shows have huge audiences, so with SHIELD, if it is done judiciously and draws a much bigger audience into the Marvel Universe we know and love, I'm all for it.
What does that mean?

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 11-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #741
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
What does that mean?
It's a term basically I invented to separate different kinds of law enforcement shows, like The Shield, The Wire, NYPD Blue and Homicide: Life on the Street on one side of the spectrum, and then shows like NCIS, The Mentalist, Cold Case and Criminal Minds on the other.

At the purely high-level, plot-summary perspective, shows from both camps deal with the same horrific subject matter. But shows in the latter category give it a much lighter touch, with morally upright protaganists with sitcom-style personal problems, and the relatively serious nature of the crimes they investigate given a much more entertaining gloss than the grittier and more realistic-seeming crime shows.

I call it "suburban justice" because it essentially targets the sheltered, judgmental audience who generally lives in good neighbourhoods, who want to feel like they're watching something cool and edgy, but that doesn't scare them, challenge their values or alter their world view.

That makes me sound like a pretentious d-bag, I'll admit, so I will also add that I am a fan of The Mentalist and Leverage, so I think there's room for both types of shows.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.

Last edited by Pink Ranger; 11-14-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #742
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
It's a term basically I invented to separate different kinds of law enforcement shows, like The Shield, The Wire, NYPD Blue and Homicide: Life on the Street on one side of the spectrum, and then shows like NCIS, The Mentalist, Cold Case and Criminal Minds on the other.

At the purely high-level, plot-summary perspective, shows from both camps deal with the same horrific subject matter. But shows in the latter category give it a much lighter touch, with morally upright protaganists with sitcom-style personal problems, and the relatively serious nature of the crimes they investigate given a much more entertaining gloss than the grittier and more realistic-seeming crime shows.

I call it "suburban justice" because it essentially targets the sheltered, judgmental audience who generally lives in good neighbourhoods, who want to feel like they're watching something cool and edgy, but that doesn't scare them, challenge their values or alter their world view.

That makes me sound like a pretentious d-bag, I'll admit, so I will also add that I am a fan of The Mentalist and Leverage, so I think there's room for both types of shows.
I can see your reasoning, I call those shows civilized murder mysteries lol.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #743
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
I can see your reasoning, I call those shows civilized murder mysteries lol.
See, when I hear that term, I tend to think of British period dramas like Hercule Poirot, where Lord Nigel Q. Featherbottom was found dead in the antechamber from the poison of a rare Chinese gypsy moth.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #744
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
See, when I hear that term, I tend to think of British period dramas like Hercule Poirot, where Lord Nigel Q. Featherbottom was found dead in the antechamber from the poison of a rare Chinese gypsy moth.
Well I do like me a spot of Poirot!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #745
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Well I do like me a spot of Poirot!
"My dear Hay-ztings, zee evidence cleahly pointz to zee identity of zee murderrrrah."

Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #746
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:

But NCIS is very different in tone to the Mentalist or other shows like Castle or Hawaii Five-0. What I was getting at wasn't the light tone, but the fact that the characters on NCIS with the exception of Gibbs are all pretty much buffoons with extremely odd quirks. They have this odd speak (almost like mock Whedonesque) and while it might be novel at first, it because grating and annoying. I thought to call it Bellasario speak but in truth other than NCIS, most of Donald's shows haven't been like that at all.

The Mentalist, Castle and Hawaii Five-0 are all lighter and have humour, but they they're not all so eccentric like NCIS. That's why I was saying I don't want SHIELD to be like NCIS, because that is almost typical of early Whedon, before he has toned it down of late.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #747
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
But NCIS is very different in tone to the Mentalist or other shows like Castle or Hawaii Five-0. What I was getting at wasn't the light tone, but the fact that the characters on NCIS with the exception of Gibbs are all pretty much buffoons with extremely odd quirks. They have this odd speak (almost like mock Whedonesque) and while it might be novel at first, it because grating and annoying. I thought to call it Bellasario speak but in truth other than NCIS, most of Donald's shows haven't been like that at all.

The Mentalist, Castle and Hawaii Five-0 are all lighter and have humour, but they they're not all so eccentric like NCIS. That's why I was saying I don't want SHIELD to be like NCIS, because that is almost typical of early Whedon, before he has toned it down of late.
Ah, I get what you mean. I guess I tend to lump NCIS with the rest of those shows is that it has many of the same hallmarks, including a central protaganist (Gibbs) who functions as and is treated as a semi-omnipotent god in his little circle. And that the supporting cast, as you said, seem to act as if they're in the Gilmore Girls rather than a crime show.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #748
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

All of Joss Whedon's shows have quirky characters who make lots of jokes. Every single one of them. In abundance. Also, none of his shows are anything like NCIS.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #749
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
All of Joss Whedon's shows have quirky characters who make lots of jokes. Every single one of them. In abundance. Also, none of his shows are anything like NCIS.
But Buffy and, to some extent Angel, did have characters who had really annoying speak, and it was as if it were a requirement that one had to speak like that to be on the show.

When you compare later shows like Dollhouse or Firefly, sure there were quirky characters, but they didn't generally behave like the majority of characters on Buffy (eg Xander, Willow, Anya, Cordelia etc) with the exception of the likes of Topher and others who were now more in the minority than the majority. Nathan Fillion's character was more serious than on Castle. And most of the cast of Dollhouse were quite serious, even though they did make a few jokes here and there.

By the time you get to the Avengers, the characters are still humourous but such a world away from the Scoobies. The characters on NCIS are almost Scooby-like in personality sometimes, which I find to be extremely annoying and acting almost like a bunch of saps.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #750
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I don't think NCIS is quite the way it's being described in here, Gibbs is certainly too good to be true in how he's always right and worshipped by his team, and Dinozo loves his movie references and lacks maturity, but there is more to the characters than that if you've watched long term.

Quote:
"My dear Hay-ztings, zee evidence cleahly pointz to zee identity of zee murderrrrah."

"Bravo mon ami!"

Closed Thread