The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 07-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #126
HELL N' SPIDERS
Spider with a Power Ring

Default Re: Green Arrow

I actually enjoyed the writing on this issue. Were starting to see some rumblings about politics and the occupy movements and things that GA used be all supportive of. BUT the art is terrible. It's scratchy and Ollie looks like such a pretty boy that I don't really like to look at him.

"The Safe-Word Is Pumpkin"

The Spider With a Power Ring
HELL N' SPIDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #127
chris moore
Side-Kick

I thought for a second; juust for a second, that there were hints of breaking the character down, reminding him he may claim to be fighting for the little guy but his tech shows he's not the little guy, that his company going down and his employees potentially suffering might remind him of what he's supposed to have learned on that island, and that he may even start to go with a fake goatee as GA to distance himself further from Ollie (oh, and that cos he can't pay 'em, that his little crew was going to bugger off - I live in hope). But no. Soon as I saw that stealth jet (and yet ANOTHER person who now knows who he is), I knew we were just going back to this new globetrotting fiasco with a thin veil of buying back his company.

And you're right about the art Hell N' Spiders - it is just plain terrible. Why did everyone appear to be wearing either skinny jeans or tights even in street clothes, and why did they all have Rob Liefield style disappearing pointing anklefeet?

chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #128
HELL N' SPIDERS
Spider with a Power Ring

Anyone get the chance to pick up issue #0?
My comic store sold out after one hour and I got there too late.
I'm hoping it's good cause I really need something to keep me on GA.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #129
HighFivingMF
Welp.

It was pretty good. Wayyyy better than the other issues of this series. Shame Winick isn't sticking around.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #130
chris moore
Side-Kick

Didn't really enjoy it myself. Seems that Ollie has no inherent skill with a bow, which is quite a deviation from the much loved Year One series (which being an update itself and much better written had no need to be replaced for the New 52). Found myself questioning how all those bodies disappeared and Ollie was the only one who drifted to the island, while simultaneously Merlyn drifts somewhere completely different. Supervillain style pirate was a bit much.

You know what would have been a much better way to approach the entire GA series? Go the route of the show (which I usually abhor). I mean, in this very issue they introduced Tommy Merlyn, who is a show character. And it's not like GA already has the fame of Bats or Supes that you can't really change the comic to fit a new premise of the show (like, the Batman comics didn't make Batgirl the first sidekick simply because "The Batman" did it). If the New 52 hadn't started only a year ago, I'd say No absolutely do not change the comic to fit. But here so much has been changed that Ollie is now no longer recognisable as either the hero or the man that I came to enjoy reading about and admire.
So given the new DC timeline of 5 years that we're all operating in, they could absolutely have had Ollie be starting out as a hero only a year or so ago (which they kind of have), but every issue have flashbacks to his time on the island that mirror something he's going through in the story in order to explore his time away. Afterall, it's not like even in the old timeline he started out as GA years after his time on the island, yet the experience and effect of it are never really looked at.
They could also have made him a bit more driven than they have. Not grim like Arrow, as that risks Batman comparisons again. But the difference between GA and Batman at least in terms of dual identity is that Batman plays Bruce as more scatty and worry free (though still caring about his city in recent years). But Ollie speaks out about corporate politics as much as GA does, and isn't afraid to get in anyone's face. But this Ollie is useless in all he does it seems, and GA doesn't seem to actually have a reason for his mission (or indeed a mission). And Merlyn saying before passing out that Ollie always lets people down aint exactly enough to change a man's life (nor is pointing out people died because Ollie dove in, only to have him years later do the exact same thing in a costume but with better archery skills)

chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #131
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

I actually just read issue 0. Liked it a lot!

Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #132
The_Shadow
Side-Kick

Green Arrow fans, I have a question.

I'm rocking a modified/mixture (part comics/part tv show) Green Arrow costume for Halloween strictly from what I just bought at a few thrift stores. I bought long green gloves and I could've sworn I found something that said Ollie in the comics had the thumb and pinky parts of the glove cut off but now I can't find any evidence they're like that. What do Ollie's gloves look like if they have fingers exposing?

I really like what I've put together so far for the outfit even though its far from perfect, but I want to get the gloves right.

The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #133
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I don't recall him ever having fingerless gloves. Just full ones. I could be forgetting though. But full gloves more often than not either way.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #134
Anubis
Sup?

Hawkeye had the Fingerless gloves.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #135
HighFivingMF
Welp.

FINALLY!

Jeff Lemire is taking over Green Arrow with #17.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #136
HELL N' SPIDERS
Spider with a Power Ring

Is Jeff Lemire good? I don't think I've read anything of his...and will the terrible art continue or is it going to be a different artist?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #137
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELL N' SPIDERS View Post
Is Jeff Lemire good? I don't think I've read anything of his...and will the terrible art continue or is it going to be a different artist?
Jeff Lemire is real good. There's an essay by Lemire up I'll post in a sec, says his inspirations are O'Neil's '90s Question comics, Year One, and Grell's comics.

Andrea Sorentino is doing art, here is his cover to #17

Old 11-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #138
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
“How about Green Arrow?”

It was a sunny day in late July, a few days after I’d returned home from San Diego Comicon, and Dan Didio had called me. I had talked to Dan at Comicon about what I would write next. We had bounced a few things around at the Con, but nothing stuck. So when Dan called that afternoon, I wasn’t sure what to expect. When he asked me, “How about Green Arrow?” I paused. Oliver Queen was never a character I’d had any particular affection for. I love DC comics and love DC characters, but Green Arrow was never one of the guys I gravitated towards. Yet, for some reason, as soon as Dan said it, something sparked in my head. At that moment, I wasn’t sure why, but something told me this was exactly the kind of book and kind of character I was searching for.

Green Arrow is a character that always has the potential to be a major player in the DCU. When I took on Animal Man, I immediately saw it as a chance to do my version of the classic Vertigo horror/superhero books I loved as a teenager. And, similarly, the first thing I thought of with Green Arrow was a chance to do a really hard hitting, crime/superhero book in the tradition of Mike Grell’s classic run on the character or Denny O’Neil’s The Question comics from the late 80’s early 90’s. Quite simply, I wanted to make Green Arrow a hunter again. A street level hero of the gutters caught up in a world of violence, betrayal and conspiracy.

My ever growing plans for the book will build a huge new mythology around Green Arrow’s legacy and send him across the globe, all the while trying to stay one step ahead of a deadly new cast of villains with mysterious ties to his past. And I knew that if I wanted to pull it off, I’d need one hell of an artist, someone who could match the new vision for Green Arrow that I was after.

Andrea Sorrentino’s stark and beautiful artwork on I, Vampire had caught my eye last year when I was looking at preview copies of the New 52 books. And, I’ve continued to follow him ever since. While his work is perfectly suited for the horror vibe of Vampire, I thought that putting him on a character like Green Arrow would create an amazing tension and a really unique take on a DCU superhero. And boy, was I right. His work so far in Green Arrow has been the absolute best of his career. This is one beautiful looking comic book.

It really is a brand new day for The Emerald Archer. I’ve fallen in love with writing this book and this character. I can only hope that a fraction of the excitement that both Andrea are feeling while working on Green Arrow translates onto the page and you’ll give the book a chance come February when our first action-packed arc, THE KILL MACHINE debuts with Issue #17. I intend to hurt Oliver Queen. Strip him down to the bone and force him to rise up and become the hero he was destined to be. I hope you come along for the ride.

So, “How about Green Arrow?”
http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/11/05/...e-green-arrow/

Old 11-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #139
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

--street level

no thanks, Jeff ^_^

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
RoughNTumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #140
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
--street level

no thanks, Jeff ^_^
MORE FOR ME!

Old 11-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #141
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

~_^

Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #142
HELL N' SPIDERS
Spider with a Power Ring

Love it!! I'm on board.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #143
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
This is good news. Don't get me wrong Ann Nocenti's run as well as Geoff John's Justice League#8 has been the best New 52 Green Arrow been(so far it's a mix between a superficial attempt at a Smallville Green Arrow comic and trying to combine 70 years of Green Arrow stories into a 21st century 24/28 year old billionaire vigilante) but I'm going to just wait and read 3-4 issues before I fully judge the comic and start buying it regularly.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #144
Anubis
Sup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
--street level

no thanks, Jeff ^_^

......Green Arrow is street level. Always has been.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #145
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
......Green Arrow is street level. Always has been.
tired of reading about heroes in the gutter

maybe if he was takin more of a mark waid daredevil approach I would care

but then I don't really care about lemire's DC stuff to begin with

if it turns out to be the next green arrow year one I will read it eventually

Old 11-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #146
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

...that opinion doesn't make any sense.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #147
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

your face doesn't make sense

imo

Old 11-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #148
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Can't wait for Lemire to take over. Green Arrow started off alright with Krul but it went downhill fast after he left to the point where I was thinking about dropping it. Lemire hopping on board though finally gives this book a chance of being something that it hasn't been yet.....good.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #149
kguillou
Side-Kick

Question guys, has anyone read the "Arrow" digital comic based on the show? If so, how is it?

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #150
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Can't wait for Lemire to take over. Green Arrow started off alright with Krul but it went downhill fast after he left to the point where I was thinking about dropping it. Lemire hopping on board though finally gives this book a chance of being something that it hasn't been yet.....good.
Lemire has been a pretty fab writer so far so hopefully he's going to do some fun things with Green Arrow

Humankind is enslaved by giraffe
Mystirious is offline   Reply With Quote