Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Illegal Immigration and Other Citizenship Issues II

UPDATE: FEDERAL JUDGE TEMPORARILY BLOCKS ALABAMA IMMIGRATION LAW
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/29/ala...migration.law/

Old 09-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #53
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

UPDATE: RHODE ISLAND STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION APPROVES IN-STATE TUITION FOR UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_983386.html

Old 09-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #54
Franklin Richards
Banned User

Default Re: Discussion: Illegal Immigration and Other Citizenship Issues II

Hispanic students vanish from Alabama schools

Wow. This story made me really sad.

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #55
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

UPDATE: OBAMA ADMINISTRATION FILES MOTION TO APPEAL FOR BLOCK OF ALABAMA IMMIGRATION LAW
http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/07/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1

Old 10-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #56
Holiday
'Bout that action

Alabama immigration law: Farmers get new help for harvest

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/10/...aw_farmer.html

Gonna get in touch with these people tomorrow and see if they have anything set up in my area so I can work.

Also; http://www.waaytv.com/news/local/sto...goIcIEpzg.cspx

Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:12 AM   #57
Superman
The Man Of Steel (Is #1)

Joe Arpaio, Arizona Sheriff, Botched Sex-Crime Cases, Critics Say

EL MIRAGE, Ariz. -- The 13-year-old girl opened the door of her home in this small city on the edge of Phoenix to encounter a man who said that his car had broken down and he needed to use the phone. Once inside, the man pummeled the teen from behind, knocking her unconscious and sexually assaulting her.

Seven months before, in an apartment two miles away, another 13-year-old girl was fondled in the middle of the night by her mother's live-in boyfriend. She woke up in her room at least twice a week to find him standing over her, claiming to be looking for her mother's cell phone.

Both cases were among more than 400 sex-crimes reported to Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's office during a three-year period ending in 2007 – including dozens of alleged child molestations – that were inadequately investigated and in some instances were not worked at all, according to current and former police officers familiar with the cases.

In El Mirage alone, where Arpaio's office was providing contract police services, officials discovered at least 32 reported child molestations – with victims as young as 2 years old – where the sheriff's office failed to follow through, even though suspects were known in all but six cases.

Many of the victims, said a retired El Mirage police official who reviewed the files, were children of illegal immigrants.

The botched sex-crimes investigations have served as an embarrassment to a department whose sheriff is the self-described "America's Toughest Sheriff" and a national hero to conservatives on the immigration issue.

Arpaio's office refused several requests over a period of months to answer questions about the investigations and declined a public records request for an internal affairs report, citing potential disciplinary actions.

Brian Sands, a top sheriff's official who is in charge of the potential discipline of any responsible employees, was later made available to talk about the cases. He declined to say why they weren't investigated. "There are policy violations that have occurred here," Sands said. "It's obvious, but I can't comment on who or what."

Sands said officers had subsequently moved to clear up inadequately investigated sex-crimes in El Mirage and elsewhere in the county. He said leads were worked if they existed and cases were closed if there was no further evidence to pursue.

Arpaio's office was under contract to provide police services in El Mirage as the city struggled with its then dysfunctional department. After the contract ended and El Mirage was re-establishing its own police operation, the city spent a year sifting through layers of disturbingly incomplete casework.

El Mirage Detective Jerry Laird, who reviewed some the investigations, learned from a sheriff's summary of 50 to 75 cases files he picked up from Arpaio's office that an overwhelming majority of them hadn't been worked.

That meant there were no follow-up reports, no collection of additional forensic evidence and zero effort made after the initial report of the crime was taken.

"I think that at some point prior to the contract (for police services) running out, they put their feet on the desk, and that was that," Laird said.

Arpaio acknowledged his office had completed an internal probe into the inadequate investigations, but said, "I don't think it's right to get into it until we get to the bottom of this and see if there's disciplinary action against any employees."

A small number of cases from El Mirage were handed over to prosecutors, but the El Mirage Police Department said most were no longer viable – evidence dating as far back as 2006 had grown cold or wasn't collected in the first place, victims had either moved away or otherwise moved on.

Bill Louis, then-assistant El Mirage police chief who reviewed the files after the sheriff's contract ended, believes the decision to ignore the cases was made deliberately by supervisors in Arpaio's office – and not by individual investigators.

"I know the investigators. I just cannot believe they would wholesale discount these cases. No way," Louis said. "The direction had to come (from) up the food chain."

Louis said he believes whoever made the decision knew that illegal immigrants – who are often transient and fear the police – were unlikely to complain about the quality of investigations. He said some cases also involved families here legally.

El Mirage paid the sheriff's office $2.7 million for a wide range of police protection from 2005 through mid-October 2007, after the city's police department had been criticized in an audit as poorly organized, loosely supervised and mismanaged.

Although a small number of El Mirage officers continued working there during the period, Arpaio brought in patrol officers and detectives and managers who ran the department.

El Mirage police files obtained by The Associated Press through public records requests establish a pattern of sex-crimes not actually being investigated after the crimes were reported to Arpaio's office.

In April 2007, a 3-year-old girl was reported molested by her father, an illegal immigrant who cared for the child while her mother was at work. When the mother confronted her husband about the abuse, he cried and swore he'd never do it again.

Yet a few days later, the mother noticed more signs of sexual abuse on her daughter and called for help. After the initial report, that help didn't come.

The string of unresolved cases left Elizabeth Ditlevson, deputy director for the Arizona Coalition Against Domestic Violence, shaking her head. "My impressions were anger at the system and concern for the people whose cases weren't addressed," she said.

According to both Sands and Scott Freeman, a sheriff's official who heard complaints from then-El Mirage Police Chief Mike Frazier about the quality of the sex-crimes investigations, more than 400 cases countywide had to be reopened. Freeman told outside investigators examining alleged managerial misconduct at Arpaio's office that a number of arrests were made in the reopened cases.

The April 2011 report on alleged managerial misconduct said the sheriff's internal effort to determine what had gone wrong with the sex-crimes investigations was twice derailed.

One delay occurred when the male sheriff's official leading the inquiry was accused of sexual harassment – this by a female supervisor whose portfolio included some of the mishandled cases, according to the report.

Another internal affairs investigation, launched in May 2008, was stopped after the investigator was pulled away at the direction of David Hendershott, then the top aide to Arpaio, to help with another matter. The internal probe was reopened in December 2010 while Hendershott was on medical leave, according to the 2011 summary.

Hendershott's account conflicted with others.

Hendershott, who has since resigned amid separate misconduct allegations and declined a request by the AP to comment, told investigators the internal affairs inquiry was still in progress when he went on medical leave in 2010.

Still, Hendershott told investigators that the El Mirage Police Department had good reason to be upset about the sex-crimes handled by the sheriff's office.

The report of the 13-year-old who had been inappropriately touched by her mother's live-in boyfriend had been faxed to one of Arpaio's investigators. El Mirage police, who were given back the case about 11 months later, learned that it hadn't been worked.

When El Mirage police finally tracked down the mother, she said her boyfriend had moved out and that she no longer had contact with him. She and her daughter were in counseling and didn't want to bring the case to court.

In their follow-up on the case of the 13-year-old attacked by the man claiming to have a broken car, El Mirage police discovered Arpaio's office hadn't interviewed the victim.

An El Mirage detective went to the girl's home just off the city's main drag. The girl's uncle said she and her mother weren't around and took the investigator's card with a promise to ask them to call.

The mother never called back. She and her daughter's whereabouts are unknown.

The case of the molested 3-year-old was returned to El Mirage police unworked five months after the initial report. The family's beige tract home was deserted, the phone disconnected.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1128680.html

This S.O.B. spent more time on Fox "News" *****ing about illegal immigrants instead of doing his job. And this is who the Republicans thinks is a "Hero".

Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #58
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Native American: "Go back to Europe!"

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #59
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Default Illegal Immigrant = Lawyer?

Didn't see a thread on this...

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-a-lawyer?lite

Basically, a guy whose family has been here illegally since he was a kid is trying to become a lawyer. He's gone to school and passed the bar, but he is being refused a license due to the fact that he could not provide any immigration paper work. He is now trying to take his case to the supreme court, saying that it "isn't fair" that he can't practice law because he's an illegal immigrant.

Personally, I feel that by trying to subvert the law, he's wasting his time, and risking causing even more issues for the immigration controversies by doing this. Any way you slice it, if you're an illegal immigrant, you're committing a crime, which goes against the very nature of being a lawyer. This guy needs to accept that and instead of wasting time and money trying to get bypass the laws, he should be looking to correct his illegal immigration status.

Thoughts?

Spider-Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #60
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Illegal Immigrant = Lawyer?

I posted this on Facebook over a week ago.

It's outrageous and ridiculous.

He's already gotten a LAW degree from a school funded by American taxpayer dollars.

If he's so concerned about the law, he can look to correct his illegal immigrant status, or they can actually uphold the law re: illegal immigration and deport his ass.

It's outrageous how many open illegal immigrants there are and how the laws are not enforced. They protest in the streets FFS.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #61
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Default Re: Illegal Immigrant = Lawyer?

I like illegals. They do the jobs I don't want to.

This guy sounds a bit entitled though. He needs to take a citizenship test. He'd have a good chance of becoming a citizen, seeing as he's been here his whole life and went to law school. Shouldn't be too hard.

JJJ's Ulcer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #62
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

UPDATE: SUPREME COURT STRIKES DOWN MAJORITY OF ARIZONA IMMIGRATION LAW
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/25...ses/?hpt=hp_t1

Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #63
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
UPDATE: SUPREME COURT STRIKES DOWN MAJORITY OF ARIZONA IMMIGRATION LAW
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/25...ses/?hpt=hp_t1
While most of the law has been struck down, the key part of it which the Obama Administration heavily focused on remains constitutional. This is kind of a loss for them. Not politically, but in regards that they really need to get new lawyers because they have just been losing and losing and losing.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #64
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

The only part that still stands is police having the ability to determine immigration status at the time of arrest...unless I am mistaken.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #65
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
The only part that still stands is police having the ability to determine immigration status at the time of arrest...unless I am mistaken.
From what I gather, police have the right to briefly detain and question anyone they suspect is an illegal immigrant, which was the key part of the Arizona law.

Like I said, this wasn't embarassing politically for the Obama Administration because they won on everything else, and they can use the ruling to rally Latino voters. But it still is a bit of a loss for them because this the key part they were challenging and they lost 8-0. Even the liberal justices told Verilli that he was doing a terrible job in arguing against this part of the law. But it really is time to get new lawyers, this current team has just been on the losing end quite a bit

Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #66
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
From what I gather, police have the right to briefly detain and question anyone they suspect is an illegal immigrant, which was the key part of the Arizona law.

Like I said, this wasn't embarassing politically for the Obama Administration because they won on everything else, and they can use the ruling to rally Latino voters. But it still is a bit of a loss for them because this the key part they were challenging and they lost 8-0. Even the liberal justices told Verilli that he was doing a terrible job in arguing against this part of the law. But it really is time to get new lawyers, this current team has just been on the losing end quite a bit
No, they can arrest someone for a crime, like J-walking, but they can not retain a person any longer to determine the person's immigration status. The Federal government maintains that power. Furthermore, the "papers please" part of the law might be safe for now, but it will get readdressed once someone has been harmed by it and has a standing to bring a challenge to it.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #67
chaseter
Bland User

The let me see your papers was upheld unanimously...I thought that was the meat of the law that everyone was up in arms about? The teeth of the law like detaining suspects was removed.

chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #68
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm still trying to figure out how Governor Brewer can claim any sort of "victory" after the law was basically torn to shreds.

...gotta love political spin.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #69
chaseter
Bland User

I am trying to figure out how it is a win for either side. Seems like a compromise.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #70
SentinelMind
Banned User

I skimmed through the decision....the Court made the right decision. States have a right to identify and find out immigration status of someone interrogated, but have no authority to change federal government priorities and criminalize illegals. Scalia was going a bit of the deep end in that dissent...as he's known to do.

SentinelMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #71
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Lawful permanent residents are required to carry their green cards or work authorization cards on them at all times anyway...

Old 06-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #72
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I am trying to figure out how it is a win for either side. Seems like a compromise.
I agree, that's why I thought that Stewart's commentary on the issue was the best.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #73
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

GEORGE P. BUSH "CONCERNED" ABOUT REPUBLICAN IMMIGRATION RHETORIC
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ration-stance/

Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #74
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

UPDATE: PRESIDENT OBAMA RENEWS CALL FOR "IMMIGRATION REFORM"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2131121.html

Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #75
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Discussion: Illegal Immigration, Immigration Reform, and Other Citizenship Issues

...various news outlets are reporting that President Obama is preparing to make a major immigration announcement next week.