Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

View Poll Results: Which is better: Fullmetal Alchemist or FMA: Brotherhood
Fullmetal Alchemist 6 26.09%
Brotherhood 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #26
Splat
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fullmetal Alchemist or Brotherhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick09 View Post
I finished the first FMA last Sunday. It is a great series, but the ending felt incomplete. Like, I'm not sure of the fate of the Fuhrer's son. Did he die? I don't remember if that's told.

What about Rose's baby? What was the deal with him? Dante used him to do some weird alchemy stuff.

What happened to Dante and Glutonny? They're last seen about to face each other in the elevator, then, when it opens, they aren't there anymore? It's like they just wanted to finish this show.

I liked the answer for the source of the energy used in alchemy, though. It makes you think if it should be used. Also, it is kinda sad that Ed and Al are left in different worlds by the end.

I'm gonna start Brotherhood next Sunday.
Did you watch the movie? It's a direct continuation of the series.

Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #27
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

For Jick09, you should watch the FMA movie Conqueror of Shambala as it answers a lot of your questions.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #28
childeroland
Side-Kick

I voted Brotherhood but have mixed feelings, since the first one made me fall in love with the franchise.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #29
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Did you watch the movie? It's a direct continuation of the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
For Jick09, you should watch the FMA movie Conqueror of Shambala as it answers a lot of your questions.
I had no idea about it. Thanks for the heads up.
I'll try to watch it before I begin with Brotherhood.

Jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #30
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Broherhood of course, it's the real story that Arakawa intended, the other one (no matter how good it is) is just mashed together because the manga wasn't finished yet. I couldn't prefer the first one on principle alone.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #31
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Saw Conqueror of Shambala last Sunday. I'm glad it answered many of the questions the anime left in the air and gave a proper ending, just not the most satisfactory, imo.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #32
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Have fun with Brotherhood next. It really is a great adaptation of Arakwas work.

I'll leave you with this epic teaser.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #33
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Oh yeah, I began watching it too and I was surprised to know it's a 2009 anime. The quality is great.

The Ice Alchemist was pretty awesome, too. So far so good.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #34
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Glad you're enjoying it. Tell us what you think every now and then.

Love reading reaction towards this great franchise.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #35
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Brotherhood is really the more "satisfying" story you should like more.

It's also faithful to Hiromu Arakawa's manga from where the manga and the anime diverged.

- CM Punk
Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #36
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Definitely, and for those who followed the manga, it was pretty cool to see the speed in which the anime was translated.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #37
spiderbob
All Hail Britannia

I enjoyed both series immensely, and for their own reasons.

If I had to be pressed, I'd vote Brotherhood, simply for it being the original, but to me it's like choosing between children. Ideally, you should love both equally.

"It's as if we're walking through a maze of sorts. There are always so many paths before us. We choose a path, then we proceed. People like you walk your paths, believing that something you desire is waiting for you. I walk it to confirm that there is nothing there." - Rau le Cruset
spiderbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #38
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I like both because FMA the original anime was such an emotionally brutal and heart-wrenching series. It never pulled its punches.

Brotherhood is similarly dark at times but a few levels lighter. It's also longer and in some ways more ambitious and epic. It's not quite as anti-climactic. I like the animation, designs, and scope a lot more. I like the different characters.

Now the Brotherhood movie, that one is nowhere near as good as Conqueror of Shambala.

- CM Punk
Old 04-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #39
spiderbob
All Hail Britannia

The FMAB movie did not look to be well done, and really, seemed to just be another way to cash in on the series, where as Shambala actually concluded the series of FMA and brought together a bunch of plot points.

I would prefer to leave the series of Brotherhood unaltered by the movie in my mind. It's awesome enough without the movie.

"It's as if we're walking through a maze of sorts. There are always so many paths before us. We choose a path, then we proceed. People like you walk your paths, believing that something you desire is waiting for you. I walk it to confirm that there is nothing there." - Rau le Cruset
spiderbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #40
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

yeah the animation on the Brotherhood movie kind of cheaped out at times.

- CM Punk
Old 04-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #41
slicer4444
Side-Kick

I preferred the darker tone of FMA. Even with the same story at the beginning of Brotherhood it just didn't hit as hard. It also felt more rushed at the beginning. I really liked Hughes as a character in FMA, but it Brotherhood he came off as a complete goof. I also didn't like the really over-the-top, 2-D anime reactions in Brotherhood. I've never really liked this aspect in anime, these are just so noticeable in Brotherhood and toned down in FMA. It made the tone seem really inconsistent and took a lot of the heat out of it.

Now for some things that could go either way: I liked to character development in Brotherhood of all the side characters. However, I preferred the focus on the brothers in FMA. The story line was not as big or ambitious, but I liked that focus and the story line seemed much tighter.

But I definitely liked the ending better in Brotherhood, it was just overall more satisfying. If I could have the satisfaction at the end of Brotherhood attached to FMA, it would be no contest. Even with the extra character development.

slicer4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #42
Assassin
Detroit's Reckoning

I never got into Brotherhood because I loved the original so much that I never had a reason to. The original was amazing to me. It was very emotional and felt very real. It makes you care about the littlest of characters and for me that's hard considering that it's animated.

I guess i'll check out Brotherhood since so many of you are recommending it. If it is truly a better story that is. If you like it better than the original just because it is truer to the manga then I couldn't give a ****. I don't read manga and I don't care to. Oldboy is nothing like the manga but that doesn't take away the fact that it's one of my all time favorite movies.

Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #43
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Glad you're enjoying it. Tell us what you think every now and then.

Love reading reaction towards this great franchise.
Sorry, I kinda forgot to do this.

I finished Brotherhood last night. I think it's the kind of series that will leave that sense of nostalgia in the future. It already kinda does when I hear some of its great openings and endings (including the first FMA series). I had so much fun watching this great adventure, with its amazing characters, thrilling fights and intricate and interesting plot. It's one of the best animes I've seen. Every minute was worth it.

So yeah, I enjoyed it more than FMA. While the first was darker and more dramatic, which I also like, Brotherhood had a more positive vibe, was more epic, funnier (I always laugh at Ed's reaction when they call him ''chibi'' [shorty]) and gave me a much more satisfying ending. I really couldn't ask for more.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #44
Lord
All Mighty

I began to watch the first show, i'm only on episode 5 and it's good so far, i decided to watch the first anime and film and only go to Brotherhood and the 2nd film after as i heard both were good by their oun merits and even surpassed the manga.

The best part for me was the brother's flashback but i was a little disapointed after discovering that the series was set in a sort of alternate universe instead of being an actual set piece

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #45
Baramos
Side-Kick

There's nothing wrong with the animation in Brotherhood, in general it was superior, smoother and so forth...not sure what you guys are talking about.

The plot of Brotherhood was also a million times better than the made-up plot for the original series. But I've enjoyed the manga ever since I started reading it back when I first started watching the original series so it's not surprising for a 99% accurate rendition of it to be better to me...

I really don't know why people like the original over Brotherhood. The "answers" provided by the original about where the power of alchemy comes from, the nature of the Homunculi and the philosopher's stone, etc. didn't make any sense. Brotherhood was much better in that department. It also had better characters...I dunno, I just can't view the original as better anymore. Back when I watched it it was great, but having read the manga and now watched Brotherhood I can't even imagine saying that the original anime is better.

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #46
Lord
All Mighty

Hughes died? What the hell? I wasn't expecting that at all.
From what i read the filler starts around episode 29 until the end of the first show, is it enjoyable filler or the usual type that you can clearly see that it doesn't fit the series?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #47
Lucien
Bozhe Moi

I wouldn't really call it filler in this case. The show took a completely different direction and made it's own conclusions in the absence of the manga. The entirety of the plot is different. It flows seamlessly and without knowing the manga or Brotherhood you wouldn't tell.

Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #48
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
I wouldn't really call it filler in this case. The show took a completely different direction and made it's own conclusions in the absence of the manga. The entirety of the plot is different. It flows seamlessly and without knowing the manga or Brotherhood you wouldn't tell.
Really? Thanks, are the films good too?

Old 11-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #49
Lucien
Bozhe Moi

Conqueror of Shambala is pretty good, it was a nice twist, and it's essential to watch as it's the actual ending to the series. FMA itself left things up in the air right at the end.

I havn't seen the Brotherhood movie yet.

Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #50
Lord
All Mighty

Does Brotherhood have as good of a soundtrack as the original anime?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Until now all the themes have been able to fit the mood, something that not allways happens in anime