Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #101
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Isn't bringing in the Marvel Studios films still on topic? Mark Millar did say he wants to construct a cohesive universe not just with the Fox properties but with the Fox and Marvel Studios properties together. I don't see how bringing Marvel Studios in the discussion is somehow off-topic. I agree people shouldn't act like fanboys or praise one studio while bashing the other one but I don't see how bringing in MS into the discussion is off-topic.
Discussion is fine. Turning it into an argument is not. We're just asking folks to be civil to each other when they disagree.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #102
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Isn't bringing in the Marvel Studios films still on topic? Mark Millar did say he wants to construct a cohesive universe not just with the Fox properties but with the Fox and Marvel Studios properties together. I don't see how bringing Marvel Studios in the discussion is somehow off-topic. I agree people shouldn't act like fanboys or praise one studio while bashing the other one but I don't see how bringing in MS into the discussion is off-topic.
Mark really didn't mean that in that way. He just wanted it to seem cohesive in tone so we can pretend its happening in the same universe..

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #103
conan69
Cimmerian

I agree theyve shoehorned too many characters in the films - which is why they were stuck with some lame Xmen for First Class. There werent many interesting characters left to use (at least that I can remember from when I read the books).

Angel Salvadore, Darwin.. bleh. I would have preferred Thunderbird.

conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #104
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

First Class was really the origin of Magneto and to lesser extent Xavier.They were limited
with their choices of characters.Mystique and Beast were only ones seen In ealrier films they could use as Bryan Singer himself said.

marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #105
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan69 View Post
I agree theyve shoehorned too many characters in the films - which is why they were stuck with some lame Xmen for First Class. There werent many interesting characters left to use (at least that I can remember from when I read the books).

I think the character choices for First Class were based on who they could feature in a 1960s setting (rather than on who was left to use). That rules out Cyclops, Jean, Storm and many others.

I feel sure Angel Salvadore was a Vaughn choice. I recall he had wanted a female Angel in The Last Stand, and the fans all (quite rightly) went berserk and said it should be Warren Worthington instead, so he finally got his wish this time. They also needed a flying baddie for Banshee to go up against. In addition, we hadn't seen an insect-winged mutant before, so she provided something new and different. And maybe they wanted to do it before Marvel introduced Wasp - that's pure speculation on my part.

In the comics, Darwin was part of an early team even before Thunderbird arrived, as revealed in Deadly Genesis. And he has a sacrificial role, rather like Thunderbird.

But I do think Angel and Riptide were odd choices for the first Brotherhood. They were, however, chosen to fit the requirements of the story rather than fit what is expected because of the comics.

The first Brotherhood in the comics had Toad (already seen in X1), Mastermind (loosely adapted as Stryker's son in X2), Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (both of whom would have been good additions, for sure, and far better choices than Angel and Riptide).

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #106
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I think the character choices for First Class were based on who they could feature in a 1960s setting (rather than on who was left to use). That rules out Cyclops, Jean, Storm and many others.

I feel sure Angel Salvadore was a Vaughn choice. I recall he had wanted a female Angel in The Last Stand, and the fans all (quite rightly) went berserk and said it should be Warren Worthington instead, so he finally got his wish this time. They also needed a flying baddie for Banshee to go up against. In addition, we hadn't seen an insect-winged mutant before, so she provided something new and different. And maybe they wanted to do it before Marvel introduced Wasp - that's pure speculation on my part.

In the comics, Darwin was part of an early team even before Thunderbird arrived, as revealed in Deadly Genesis. And he has a sacrificial role, rather like Thunderbird.

But I do think Angel and Riptide were odd choices for the first Brotherhood. They were, however, chosen to fit the requirements of the story rather than fit what is expected because of the comics.

The first Brotherhood in the comics had Toad (already seen in X1), Mastermind (loosely adapted as Stryker's son in X2), Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (both of whom would have been good additions, for sure, and far better choices than Angel and Riptide).
But you know that wasn't gonna happen so they did what they had to do.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #107
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
But you know that wasn't gonna happen so they did what they had to do.
Why do you think we'd never have seen Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch?

Do you think they will ever feature in the X-Men films then? Both Fox and Marvel share the rights, so it's possible.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #108
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Fox may not want them used in films.Bryan singer once said as first Class was about to
open he has wanted to use quicksilver in the films but whenever he wanted to use him was told he couldn't.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #109
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Why do you think we'd never have seen Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch?

Do you think they will ever feature in the X-Men films then? Both Fox and Marvel share the rights, so it's possible.
Its too complicated so unfortunately they'd probably will never see the light of day. If you can't utilize their full characterization then don't use them at all. In respect to the integrity of the characters I think that was the best move.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #110
Angamb
Banned User

now that Fox, Millar and Singer want to really expand the universe during the next years, I think Erics sons have a bigger chance than before.

Mora than likely not on this sequel, but maybe in the third or fourth one.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #111
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
now that Fox, Millar and Singer want to really expand the universe during the next years, I think Erics sons have a bigger chance than before.

But you'd hope he'd at least be seeing somebody by the sequel so he could plausibly have a Love Child (or twins) so they can have the Maury Moment. "YOU ARE THE FATHER"

Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #112
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post

It's tricky but it could be done. I'd like to see Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch on screen.

Either it means Fox and Marvel Studios discussing it to see if they can do a crossover, or Fox includes much younger versions so that Marvel could use different actors as older versions later on if they wanted.

They've been trying to hint at the characters for so long. X1 had a kid speeding (or teleporting) round the basketball court and another one running across the pond at the mansion. X3 had Phoenix dressed almost like Scarlet Witch and alongside Magneto, and Callisto with Quicksilver's speed power. First Class had Beast speeding round the mansion like Quicksilver. And there was a boy who looked like Quicksilver at the end of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, restrained in straps on Stryker's island.

Time for the real ones, I think!

Last edited by X-Maniac; 11-15-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #113
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Mark really didn't mean that in that way. He just wanted it to seem cohesive in tone so we can pretend its happening in the same universe..
Or reverse some of the bad press...

News/rumor that Fox denied Marvel's offer to extend Daredevils deadline if they handed over Silver Surfer and Gallactus didn't sit too well with "some" (not all) fans leaving many to talk. Which is probably what got Millar the job at FOX in the first place.

Here's a brief time line of chain of events leading up to Millars hiring:

August 6, 2012
-Joe Carnahan May Direct Daredevil
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/...rect-daredevil
-Fox And Marvel Talking Potential Daredevil-Silver Surfer-Galactus Movie Rights Deal
http://betterwithpopcorn.com/blog/ge...alactus-movie-

August 7, 2012
-REPORT DENIES FOX INTEREST IN GALACTUS/DAREDEVIL TRADE
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=40306

August 8, 2012
-Joss Whedon to Stay with Marvel Through 2015; Will Be Creatively Involved in Other Marvel Films
http://collider.com/joss-whedon-marv...sequel/187419/

August 14, 2012
-Joe Carnahan Says His DAREDEVIL Pitch “Went Up in Smoke”
http://collider.com/daredevil-joe-ca...-pitch/188926/

Fans speak out:
"Let Marvel take it!"

"How good can a movie be if they have to rush it in order to keep the rights to the character. Hollywood ****."

"Marvel should scoop up all their properties, they handle them way better imho"

September 14, 2012
-Tom Rothman Leaving 20th Century Fox
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...century-370515

September 27, 2012
-Fox Hires Mark Millar as Marvel Movie Consultant
http://www.slashfilm.com/fox-denies-...arvel-studios/

October 8, 2012
-Laura Shuler Donner Would Love to See an X-Men/Avengers Crossover
http://voices.yahoo.com/laura-shuler...62.html?cat=40

October 10, 2012 (Daredevil rights deadline)
-Mark Millar Talks More About His Role As 20th Century Fox's MARVEL Creative Consultant
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2012/10/10...antastic-four/

Last edited by YoungPrime; 11-15-2012 at 11:37 AM.
YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #114
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
But you'd hope he'd at least be seeing somebody by the sequel so he could plausibly have a Love Child (or twins) so they can have the Maury Moment. "YOU ARE THE FATHER"
I think he could have fathered children in the time since Auschwitz and when we next saw him in Vienna in 1961/1962. A reference to a lover, or even specifically to Magda, would be enough.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #115
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Too young to have them In 1960's.Now when the series moves to 1970's you could use them then.

With Magneto thinking he was only one with powers till confrontin Emma on boat and being rescured by Xavier you really can't use the classic version of him being married losing child,and wife running away and unknown at time being pregnant.Howevr you can defently do him having brief relationship with woman and unknown at time he getting her pregnent.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #116
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
It's tricky but it could be done. I'd like to see Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch on screen.

Either it means Fox and Marvel Studios discussing it to see if they can do a crossover, or Fox includes much younger versions so that Marvel could use different actors as older versions later on if they wanted.

They've been trying to hint at the characters for so long. X1 had a kid speeding (or teleporting) round the basketball court and another one running across the pond at the mansion. X3 had Phoenix dressed almost like Scarlet Witch and alongside Magneto, and Callisto with Quicksilver's speed power. First Class had Beast speeding round the mansion like Quicksilver. And there was a boy who looked like Quicksilver at the end of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, restrained in straps on Stryker's island.

Time for the real ones, I think!
totally agree.

I think once they introduce young Scott and Jean, it would be the perfect moment to use Scarlet and Quicksilver.

Or maybe they could introduce them on the next sequel without adressing their connection, and in the next one to show the big revelation, as Dr tactics suggested "you are the father".

They could easily tell that Eric had a love affair a long time ago, and from those times she got pregnant.

I like the idea of developing this important arc in two sequels, not just in one, because it would feel a bit rushed.

A good writer and director could tell it easily, so lets Fox Singer and Fox feel interested in the near future.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #117
conan69
Cimmerian

Quote:
Its too complicated so unfortunately they'd probably will never see the light of day. If you can't utilize their full characterization then don't use them at all. In respect to the integrity of the characters I think that was the best move.
But some the characters we've seen can be said to be loose adaptations....Sebastion Shaw, Psylocke, Calisto for instance.

I was a big Avengers fan in the 70's and 80's, and Scarlet Witch was always a favorite of mine. I'd love to see her on film.

Although they were more involved with The Avengers, like Beast, SW and Quicksilver are usually associated with both Avengers and X-Men.

conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #118
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:

I liked Darwin.

I actually like Moira's entire team in that Deadly Genesis arc.

Darwin's portrayal in FC well..."Bleh" indeed.

Last edited by YoungPrime; 11-15-2012 at 11:34 AM.
YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #119
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
But some the characters we've seen can be said to be loose adaptations....Sebastion Shaw, Psylocke, Calisto for instance.

I was a big Avengers fan in the 70's and 80's, and Scarlet Witch was always a favorite of mine. I'd love to see her on film.

Although they were more involved with The Avengers, like Beast, SW and Quicksilver are usually associated with both Avengers and X-Men.
I'm wary because QS & SW history is so tied up between properties owned by two different studios in which only loose adaptations are possible. I guess if thats the best we'll get then so be it. I'd like the whole QS and SW X-Men/Magneto ties, Avengers ties, QS relationship with Crystal (Inhumans) and SW Relationship with the Vision, and their Wundergore lineage. I'm greedy but thats just me. I'm sure they'll show up one day somewhere though

Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #120
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPrime View Post
Or reverse some of the bad press...

News/rumor that Fox denied Marvel's offer to extend Daredevils deadline if they handed over Silver Surfer and Gallactus didn't sit too well with "some" (not all) fans leaving many to talk. Which is probably what got Millar the job at FOX in the first place.

Here's a brief time line of chain of events leading up to Millars hiring:

August 6, 2012
-Joe Carnahan May Direct Daredevil
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/...rect-daredevil
-Fox And Marvel Talking Potential Daredevil-Silver Surfer-Galactus Movie Rights Deal
http://betterwithpopcorn.com/blog/ge...alactus-movie-

August 7, 2012
-REPORT DENIES FOX INTEREST IN GALACTUS/DAREDEVIL TRADE
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=40306

August 8, 2012
-Joss Whedon to Stay with Marvel Through 2015; Will Be Creatively Involved in Other Marvel Films
http://collider.com/joss-whedon-marv...sequel/187419/

August 14, 2012
-Joe Carnahan Says His DAREDEVIL Pitch “Went Up in Smoke”
http://collider.com/daredevil-joe-ca...-pitch/188926/

Fans speak out:
"Let Marvel take it!"

"How good can a movie be if they have to rush it in order to keep the rights to the character. Hollywood ****."

"Marvel should scoop up all their properties, they handle them way better imho"

September 14, 2012
-Tom Rothman Leaving 20th Century Fox
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...century-370515

September 27, 2012
-Fox Hires Mark Millar as Marvel Movie Consultant
http://www.slashfilm.com/fox-denies-...arvel-studios/

October 8, 2012
-Laura Shuler Donner Would Love to See an X-Men/Avengers Crossover
http://voices.yahoo.com/laura-shuler...62.html?cat=40

October 10, 2012 (Daredevil rights deadline)
-Mark Millar Talks More About His Role As 20th Century Fox's MARVEL Creative Consultant
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2012/10/10...antastic-four/
Its even simpler than that. Mark had to pull back because he didn't want to publicly want something that hasn't been (or will ever be) worked out yet between studios. Your right, IMO about the bad press though but Just like the Producers (Arad,Donner,etc) can wish but have no say of what crossovers happen or don't happen. And, all they've done is made the natives restless for some type of wider shared universe. Mark Millar can only work the magic depending on the size of the stage his employers allow. So for now he can only advise to make it tone wise cohesive with the Disney and Sony Marvel Universes.

Plus I don't credit any fans for him getting the job. Just like he said that he was apart of the Ultimates (Avengers) and made that known though the introduction to the Fox execs from Joe Carnahan and the Marvel movie Avengers was based on the Ultimates more than 616 continuity. They saw him as a link that could bring that tonal feel from the Avengers to their Marvel properties so, good or bad they were looking for a way to clone that success with in their Marvel films through him.

Last edited by Dr Tactics; 11-15-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #121
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPrime View Post
I really wont argue with that. But shoe horning him in X-3 as a random mutant didn't do him any justice either.

He should've been portrayed as a Hulk/Thor class threat which he wasn't.
I agree with these various points.

The stepbrother link to Xavier is a bit forced, and has now been swept aside by Charles having Mystique as a sort of step-sister in the house. I don't mind that, to be honest.

Adding Juggernaut to X3 didn't really work. He was there only for that wall-crashing action sequence inspired by a jeans commercial (rather like Multiple Man was only there for a forest decoy scene, Arclight only to shatter the plastic weapons, Psylocke only to materialise out of a wall and Quill to impale Dr Rao on his spines).

I agree entirely Juggernaut should be a Hulk/Thor level threat. But at least he looked better than Blob in XMO: Wolverine (who was fine in the early scenes when he was just big and not blobby, but didn't look right when they made him the Blob).

Blob and Juggernaut are difficult to pull off, but Avengers Hulk have since proved that special effects are now advanced enough to create huge beings convincingly.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #122
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I'm wary because QS & SW history is so tied up between properties owned by two different studios in which only loose adaptations are possible. I guess if thats the best we'll get then so be it. I'd like the whole QS and SW X-Men/Magneto ties, Avengers ties, QS relationship with Crystal (Inhumans) and SW Relationship with the Vision, and their Wundergore lineage. I'm greedy but thats just me. I'm sure they'll show up one day somewhere though
I love all that stuff but I think that's a bit much for us to expect, in all honesty. I don't think any onscreen superhero would get such a complex story on screen.
Would love to see Inhumans though.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #123
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Its even simpler than that. Mark had to pull back because he didn't want to publicly want something that hasn't been (or will ever be) worked out yet between studios. Your right, IMO about the bad press though but Just like the Producers (Arad,Donner,etc) can wish but have no say of what crossovers happen or don't happen. And, all they've done is made the natives restless for some type of wider shared universe. Mark Millar can only work the magic depending on the size of the stage his employers allow. So for now he can only advise to make it tone wise cohesive with the Disney and Sony Marvel Universes.

Plus I don't credit any fans for him getting the job. Just like he said that he was apart of the Ultimates (Avengers) and made that known though the introduction to the Fox execs from Joe Carnahan and the Marvel movie Avengers was based on the Ultimates more than 616 continuity. They saw him as a link that could bring that tonal feel from the Avengers to their Marvel properties so, good or bad they were looking for a way to clone that success with in their Marvel films through him.
Yep, Millar has no overall power to demand anything so he isn't publicly listing what he wants to see, in case that only leads to disappointment. And nor do the producers have any final power. The studio has the last word. With Rothman gone, it may be easier to convince the studio of the need for continuity, comic book accuracy, etc. Especially when their other eye is on the Avengers box office!

I hope Mark is able to steer the films towards the comic book canon where possible and that his voice is not ignored.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #124
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Yep, Millar has no overall power to demand anything so he isn't publicly listing what he wants to see, in case that only leads to disappointment. And nor do the producers have any final power. The studio has the last word. With Rothman gone, it may be easier to convince the studio of the need for continuity, comic book accuracy, etc. Especially when their other eye is on the Avengers box office!

I hope Mark is able to steer the films towards the comic book canon where possible and that his voice is not ignored.
Which always made me wonder why the press compared Millars job with Whedons. He doesn't have near the decision making power of what Whedon has with Marvel

Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #125
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Which always made me wonder why the press compared Millars job with Whedons. He doesn't have near the decision making power of what Whedon has with Marvel
Indeed, it seems to be entirely different.

Blogs and news sites are erroneously reporting that Millar is in charge of Fox's superhero movies and 'supervising' them.

But he is a creative consultant who, from what i understand, will be consulted when needed and perhaps chime in on other occasions when he feels he has a point to make. He'll probably attend meetings, meet with the talent on upcoming films, cast his eye over the script.

However, I don't know exactly how much influence Whedon would have either.