Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #426
elizah72
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlet View Post
So now that we've seen a scene with Malekith and the Dark Elves filming on "campus" the same time as Thor... and we've all speculated about Tom's goatee at the Moet thing, has anyone else felt that we can sorta cross out Loki being in cahoots with Malekith?

Although, the current filming, we don't really know what time point that is in the movie.
Oh, I think he's going to be crossing and double crossing and possibly even triple crossing. I dont think his absence here means he's not at least pretending to be working with Malekith for a while.

New video interview with Tom where he talks about Loki and Thor 2 some (not really revealing much but interesting nonetheless)

http://bcove.me/n5b8dygl

Director Alan Taylor "LOVES" Loki....

Last edited by elizah72; 11-15-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #427
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
Oh, I think he's going to be crossing and double crossing and possibly even triple crossing. I dont think his absence here means he's not at least pretending to be working with Malekith for a while.

New video interview with Tom where he talks about Loki and Thor 2 some (not really revealing much but interesting nonetheless)

Director Alan Taylor "LOVES" Loki....
Very interesting! The two comments that jumped out at me:

-the idea of Thor being (partly) responsible for the events of The Avengers
-"the truth of [Loki's] broken heart"
!!

BUt I agree, there could be lots of scheming on Loki's part. One doesn't have to be outdoors for that, so maybe that's why we haven't seen much of Loki.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #428
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen

God he looks really nice and dapper in that video. He definitely knows how to put together a very polished, stylish look that grabs your attention. I love the little gelled up flip he does with his bangs.

- I'd rather receive validation through my own hard work and personal determination, not because someone else used Svengali level influence to make me a success.

- Beauty comes in all sizes not just petite.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 11-15-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #429
elizah72
Side-Kick

This might be my new favorite interview. Wish I could hear everything the interviewer is saying though.

Quote:
"Everybody upstairs in space is going to have an opinion on what happened over the course of Avengers"
Interesting he includes Sif and the Warriors 3 on this, wondering how that goes, if they disagree at all (Fandral and Volstag stood up for him in Thor 1 early on, remember, Sif won't be on his side. Wonder about Hogun).

And Frigga will have an opinion too. YAY! I would hope so!!!

Also this makes me wonder if some of the fighting could be some other realms trying to get their hands on Loki to punish him, if they feel Odin didnt do enough, like a lynch mob (and not necessarily to do with Thanos at all).

Quote:
"What I can promise is that it's not the old old recipe heated up in the microwave, it's new... we're cooking up something new with the same ingredients so it's exciting"
okay can I just say to that... SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! Because I was a bit afraid they may just keep heating up the "old recipe".

Quote:
(Alan Taylor) loves Loki, the first time I met him, he said "I just love this guy"

Quote:
"(Alan Taylor) loves, as I do, the ability to do a within one moment within one scene within one hour within one day Loki can do these kind of huge 180 turns, where he can be enjoying himself and completely in control and then the next moment he's completely lost control and the truth of his broken heart is sort of is plain for all to see."
I am just unbelievably excited for this movie right now. Clearly there will be some exciting fighting, but clearly more emotional drama, which I love, and I think plenty of Lokiness to go around.

and "within one moment within one scene within one hour within one day" LOL the ever verbose Mr. Hiddleston. Gotta love him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
God he looks really nice and dapper in that video. He definitely knows how to put together a very polished, stylish look that grabs your attention.
I think he has some help with that, but most actors do, but he's certainly lookin' good!

Last edited by elizah72; 11-15-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #430
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

sounds like Tom might be getting concerned about those Marvel snipers again, what with being cautious about what he can/can't say about Thor 2

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #431
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen

Quote:
I think he has some help with that, but most actors do, but he's certainly lookin' good!
I don't know, he seems to me like he's pretty sharp about knowing what kind of outfits flatter him without any outside input aside from asking someone how he looks. Tom is a pretty savvy, intelligent guy.

Anyways, I'm happy that he and the cast are having a good time making this movie. It's nice to have a positive work environment devoid of stress where he can enjoy his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
sounds like Tom might be getting concerned about those Marvel snipers again, what with being cautious about what he can/can't say about Thor 2
The poor guy, it always seems like Marvel sends their sniper after him most of the time.

- I'd rather receive validation through my own hard work and personal determination, not because someone else used Svengali level influence to make me a success.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #432
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlet View Post
So now that we've seen a scene with Malekith and the Dark Elves filming on "campus" the same time as Thor... and we've all speculated about Tom's goatee at the Moet thing, has anyone else felt that we can sorta cross out Loki being in cahoots with Malekith?

Although, the current filming, we don't really know what time point that is in the movie.

PS - I'm 34 and I drink heavily. Too much that I'm detoxing for awhile! Almost couldn't look at the Moet pictures without getting ill, haha.
Lay off the booze friend. It can be a serious problem, not to be taken lightly

Quote:
I don't know, he seems to me like he's pretty sharp about knowing what kind of outfits flatter him without any outside input aside from asking someone how he looks. Tom is a pretty savvy, intelligent guy.

Anyways, I'm happy that he and the cast are having a good time making this movie. It's nice to have a positive work environment devoid of stress where he can enjoy his work.

The poor guy, it always seems like Marvel sends their sniper after him most of the time.
^ I think that he is just excited about it and wants to talk about it. which is exactly how I would be if i was in these movies lol

Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #433
elizah72
Side-Kick

I just had a eureka moment here, I was talking in the Kurse thread about what I thought the various scenes were, and then I talked about the Iceland scenes

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
and that I thought it could be representing Niflheim with an army of the dishonored dead.

Well in this new interview about Thor 2 Tom says while Thor is down on Earth during Avengers "for all intents and purposes Hell broke loose"

Holy crap!! I might be onto something up here in regards to Niflheim and the dishonored dead army. So in the Iceland fights, my theory is at the moment is that we might end up with Thor fighting an army that Loki is leading of the dishonored dead, OR, the scenario I like better, and I think works more with what direction I think Loki is going in, is the following: There was a mistake or misleading going on about what side Loki is on in that big Iceland battle scene. It's easy for people to assume that Loki and Thor are there and there are two armies, so Loki must be fighting against Thor. BUT I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually fighting with Thor, in this instance at least temporarily, to help fight back the dishonored dead army to Niflheim, and possibly as part of his penance for the wrongs that he's done.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #434
SimiOfDoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
I just had a eureka moment here, I was talking in the Kurse thread about what I thought the various scenes were, and then I talked about the Iceland scenes

and that I thought it could be representing Niflheim with an army of the dishonored dead.

Well in this new interview about Thor 2 Tom says while Thor is down on Earth during Avengers "for all intents and purposes Hell broke loose"

Holy crap!! I might be onto something up here in regards to Niflheim and the dishonored dead army. So in the Iceland fights, my theory is at the moment is that we might end up with Thor fighting an army that Loki is leading of the dishonored dead, OR, the scenario I like better, and I think works more with what direction I think Loki is going in, is the following: There was a mistake or misleading going on about what side Loki is on in that big Iceland battle scene. It's easy for people to assume that Loki and Thor are there and there are two armies, so Loki must be fighting against Thor. BUT I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually fighting with Thor, in this instance at least temporarily, to help fight back the dishonored dead army to Niflheim, and possibly as part of his penance for the wrongs that he's done.

Lawden said something about Thor training an army, didn´t he? Maybe they actually train toghether? With different armies, because they ran around recruiting people?

Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #435
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimiOfDoom View Post
Lawden said something about Thor training an army, didn´t he? Maybe they actually train toghether? With different armies, because they ran around recruiting people?
I know he sort of said that but I just find it hard to believe that they'll waste time on showing that with so much more exciting stuff to do.

Plus if they are recruiting dead Asgardian soldiers then they shouldnt really need training. I think again there may be some mistaken guessing may have gone on with some of what Lawden says.

Plus there would seem to be a sense of urgency in the 9 realms now, so no time for "war games"

Edit: it seemed kind of really minor spoilers to me but I put it in tags anyway AM.

Last edited by elizah72; 11-15-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #436
American Maid
Side-Kick

Please be careful about spoilers!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #437
elizah72
Side-Kick

Is it wrong that I REALLY want Loki to make this face in Thor 2?

Old 11-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #438
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen

God...if I can't have the real Tom Hiddleston I want a man that looks just like him...or Chris Evans...or Chris Hemsworth...or Christian Bale...>_<

Old 11-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #439
Lei D Loki
Side-Kick

When Tom was talking about how Loki can do a 180, I thought he would be talking about how Loki can be bad one moment, then nice the next. I was so relieved that's not what he meant. Like I keep saying in this thread, I want a chaotic Loki.

When he talked about how everyone will have opinions on what happened in Avengers and that Thor and Loki being on Earth while things are happening in Asgard, I thought maybe some people were not happy that Thor was even on Earth instead of taking care of things in Asgard.

Also, there must be different opinions on how Loki should be punished. Surely Frigga would propose more leniency being a mom. I wonder if Loki got any sympathy from the Warriors 3 and Sif?

Re: the drunk Tom thread in ONTD. I didn't get any sense at all from any of the comments that they were vilifying Tom for getting drunk. However, there were posts there that I didn't like. Those implying that Tom is some over-privileged dude who don't care about poor people because of the pics of him holding trays of food and drinking wine and having fun at a posh event. WTF? The guy was just invited to a party and people took pictures of him having fun. Yes, he is privileged but I doubt that he was in that party laughing at poor people.

I do agree that ONTD posters are hypocritical and love bringing down any celeb. They love criticizing Tumblr fans for being crazy and whatnot, which may be true, but they are no different. At least Tumblr fans are crazy in their love of their idols whereas ONTD members are crazy in their hate.

Last edited by Lei D Loki; 11-15-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #440
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lei D Loki View Post
When he talked about how everyone will have opinions on what happened in Avengers and that Thor and Loki being on Earth while things are happening in Asgard, I thought maybe some people were not happy that Thor was even on Earth instead of taking care of things in Asgard.

Also, there must be different opinions on how Loki should be punished. Surely Frigga would propose more leniency being a mom. I wonder if Loki got any sympathy from the Warriors 3 and Sif?
I have assumed like most that Odin sent Thor, and so probably helped him get to Earth and find Loki, as Loki also assumes in Avengers. Also I believe that Odin's ravens are seen flying around when Thor and Loki land on the mountain (or again people assume that's what those birds are, there to show Odin what happens when the brother talk). So I'm still going to go with that, and that probably it's meant that people have different opinions on how Thor handled it when he got there,and opinions on what Loki did and why and how he went wrong, than simply judging Thor for being there at all. I can't see Odin, knowing that Loki is down there causing trouble especially, NOT sending Thor or go himself to fetch Loki. But either way there may have been chaos going on in the other realms in the meantime. I think it's that people will have different opinions on Loki's situation and also on how Thor handled things. Though I'm at a loss to say how else Thor should have handled things.

I can see Volstagg and Fandral having some sympathy, and Sif and Hogun on the other side, if the whole conversation between them about Loki early on in Thor is any indication.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #441
Lei D Loki
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have assumed like most that Odin sent Thor, and so probably helped him get to Earth and find Loki, as Loki also assumes in Avengers. Also I believe that Odin's ravens are seen flying around when Thor and Loki land on the mountain (or again people assume that's what those birds are, there to show Odin what happens when the brother talk). So I'm still going to go with that, and that probably it's meant that people have different opinions on how Thor handled it when he got there,and opinions on what Loki did and why and how he went wrong, than simply judging Thor for being there at all. I can't see Odin, knowing that Loki is down there causing trouble especially, NOT sending Thor or go himself to fetch Loki. But either way there may have been chaos going on in the other realms in the meantime. I think it's that people will have different opinions on Loki's situation and also on how Thor handled things. Though I'm at a loss to say how else Thor should have handled things.

I can see Volstagg and Fandral having some sympathy, and Sif and Hogun on the other side, if the whole conversation between them about Loki early on in Thor is any indication.
Do you think trouble was already brewing in Asgard before Thor left to fetch Loki? Odin was weakened for using dark energy to bring Thor to Earth. Their enemies would have taken advantage of a weak Odin and absent Thor.

I don't see Asgardians as benevolent beings so my opinion is there might be some Asgardians who don't care what happens to Earth so sending Thor to Earth at a critical time may not be a good idea to some of them. Odin's real intent for sending Thor to Earth may not be so altruistic.

I agree about Volstagg and Fandral. I feel bad that Loki does not really have any true friends in Thor.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #442
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Do you think trouble was already brewing in Asgard before Thor left to fetch Loki? Odin was weakened for using dark energy to bring Thor to Earth. Their enemies would have taken advantage of a weak Odin and absent Thor.

I don't see Asgardians as benevolent beings so my opinion is there might be some Asgardians who don't care what happens to Earth so sending Thor to Earth at a critical time may not be a good idea to some of them. Odin's real intent for sending Thor to Earth may not be so altruistic.

I agree about Volstagg and Fandral. I feel bad that Loki does not really have any true friends in Thor.
I think this is a very apt analysis and agree with pretty much all of it.

The trouble that has been hinted at to occur in Thor2 I think was brewing for a while, maybe even before any of the movies. I think probably many Asgardians regard themselves as at the pinnacle of civilization, I guess by virtue of their military (and individual physical) superiority. The military superiority at least may well get challenged in this film, from what we are hearing. Such Asgardians would tend to look down on Midgardians, I would guess.

People not being as altruistic as they first appear seems to be a running theme in these films (eg, Nick Fury). So I think that element is quite likely here.

Sif actively dislikes Loki in the books as I understand, so she is not going to be a voice of moderation here. I suspect you are right that he has no friends in Asgard other than Thor, even if they don't know his heritage.

elizah72 posted that essay on the Journey into Mystery run about Kid Loki. One of the themes from the essay that struck me was that he was so disliked and mistrusted (for good reasons, to be fair), that again his only friend was Thor, and everyone else's scorn ran the risk of driving him right back to the same behavior. Just like the Ragnarok cycle, he cannot escape his fate.

I am excited at the possibility of having such nuance in the film!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #443
elizah72
Side-Kick

oh I think his "true friend" is his brother, always has been. If only Loki would realize that.

I think that the comment "the nine realms are laughing at us" is an indicator that other realms know that Odin is weakening, and there is already struggle to keep control. And that is probably why Odin was going to give the throne up to Thor, even if he thinks he's not quite ready. He's weakening, and knows this is a problem. But then what happened happened, and it's probably still unclear to Odin if Thor is ready for the responsibility and power and also Odin may be a bit too much of a control freak and so not letting go for that reason at this point. I think Odin like Nick Fury is trying to concentrate on what those characters consider to be "the greater good" (right or wrong) and sometimes that requires doing some questionable things some "moral sacrifices" to quote a question I posed in another thread . So, no the Asgardians are not perfect, not totally altruistic, they want to stay at the top of the mountain I'm sure. But with Odin I think he sees it as he brought peace to the 9 realms and he may be the only one who can keep the peace and keep Asgard in control. He doesn't trust Thor to do it right, even still. And that may be sort of a twist on what Loki was talking about in his speeches in Avengers when he talks about why he's going to rule Earth and how much better it will be. He's trying to be Odin, to be "daddy" as Joss put it in the commentary, and make everyone do as he says and everything will be fine.

Quote:
All of his spiel about freedom, which he brings up often, and how crippling it is for people, I enjoyed enormously writing. Not just because it sounds like funny Elizabethan type talk, but because I really believe that he believes it. It makes perfect sense on some level to say that humanity is not doing a very good job at taking care of themselves and what they’d really like is for Daddy to make it better. And for him to espouse that so articulately and not understand that only a person who is deeply damaged would ever want to be the person to care of everybody is what, I think, makes his character so interesting.
-Joss Whedon, The Avengers commentary
and, if this is also Odin's POV on some level, and I think it may be to a lesser non maniacal degree, then that is very interesting as well. It sort of makes Loki more his (foster) father's son than he may be at first glance. And I do believe that in most of Loki's speeches in Avengers, including the one to Black Widow, he is talking about himself and his own experiences as much as anything else.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #444
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think that the comment "the nine realms are laughing at us" is an indicator that other realms know that Odin is weakening, and there is already struggle to keep control. And that is probably why Odin was going to give the throne up to Thor, even if he thinks he's not quite ready. He's weakening, and knows this is a problem.
There's a scene from the Thor1 script that's not in the film (and I don't think it's a deleted scene either) in which Frigga and Odin are getting ready for the coronation. Odin fights off another bout of the Odinsleep and the script calls for his hand to shift phase. He and Frigga have a conversation about the urgency of handing off control and uncertainty about Thor's readiness.

Probably if there were emissaries from the various realms visiting court, they would have noticed Odin slowing down. So this was coming for a long time.

Quote:
I think Odin like Nick Fury is trying to concentrate on what those characters consider to be "the greater good" (right or wrong) and sometimes that requires doing some questionable things some "moral sacrifices" to quote a question I posed in another thread . So, no the Asgardians are not perfect, not totally altruistic, they want to stay at the top of the mountain I'm sure. But with Odin I think he sees it as he brought peace to the 9 realms and he may be the only one who can keep the peace and keep Asgard in control. He doesn't trust Thor to do it right, even still. And that may be sort of a twist on what Loki was talking about in his speeches in Avengers when he talks about why he's going to rule Earth and how much better it will be. He's trying to be Odin, to be "daddy" as Joss put it in the commentary, and make everyone do as he says and everything will be fine.

. . .

and, if this is also Odin's POV on some level, and I think it may be to a lesser non maniacal degree, then that is very interesting as well. It sort of makes Loki more his (foster) father's son than he may be at first glance.
I think Odin is kind of old school in his philosophy about how Asgard relates to the other realms. In the past, they kept and enforced the peace. They saw themselves as having a very particular active role in protecting the other realms. Although to be fair, Odin has been hands off, at least with regard to Midgard, for a millennium.

J. Michael Straczynski (JMS) has Donald Blake summon Thor back at the start of his run: "It is not for the gods to decide whether or not man exists- it is for man to decide whether or not the gods exist. And because you are important, because you are needed, your time is not yet over." I wouldn't be surprised if that theme carries through the rest of the run. (another book on my long list) That idea certainly permeated his _Babylon 5_ project. And JMS had a writing credit on Thor1, so maybe his ideas will influence Thor2, too. Odin, I think, would not see things this way, as Blake characterizes it. I think he'd see it the other way around. Old school.

Loki, on the other hand, is trying to fill a void inside himself. And, as Thor notes, he has missed the truth of ruling.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #445
the last son
Side-Kick

I'm not deep into Thor mythology so forgive me. But, why does loki look like an asgard if he's an adopted frost giant. Why would he look like an asgardian?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #446
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen

My guess is that in the Norse myths the Frost giants weren't evil, blue smurfs but oversized men and women who looked pretty much human and Loki was a munchkin by giant standards.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #447
Lei D Loki
Side-Kick

Quote:
My guess is that in the Norse myths the Frost giants weren't evil, blue smurfs but oversized men and women who looked pretty much human and Loki was a munchkin by giant standards.
From what I've read of the myths, you seem to be right. The myths didn't really explain how Loki was accepted to live among the Aesir (gods). He was just there one day being his normal ******* self. Plus, Loki is a shapeshifter in the myths. Loki in the myths knows his true heritage and doesn't seem to have any issues with it. He was the God of Mischief because he just is and not because of any daddy issues.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #448
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
I'm not deep into Thor mythology so forgive me. But, why does loki look like an asgard if he's an adopted frost giant. Why would he look like an asgardian?
Loki looks like an Asgardian because of some ability either he or Odin possess to change his shape and appearance. In Thor, when Odin touched the infant Loki the baby's skin color changed from blue to pink and he lost the distinctive Frost Giant markings. How that happened was not explained. Since Loki is "small for a Frost Giant's baby" he never grew to the towering height of his biological father. That and his skin color allowed him to look like an Asgardian, at least until his skin was touched by another Frost Giant on Jotunheim.

Tl; dr Loki is a classic changeling child, as in many European myths, who took the form of his adoptive family.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #449
Lei D Loki
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
There's a scene from the Thor1 script that's not in the film (and I don't think it's a deleted scene either) in which Frigga and Odin are getting ready for the coronation. Odin fights off another bout of the Odinsleep and the script calls for his hand to shift phase. He and Frigga have a conversation about the urgency of handing off control and uncertainty about Thor's readiness.

Probably if there were emissaries from the various realms visiting court, they would have noticed Odin slowing down. So this was coming for a long time.

I think Odin is kind of old school in his philosophy about how Asgard relates to the other realms. In the past, they kept and enforced the peace. They saw themselves as having a very particular active role in protecting the other realms. Although to be fair, Odin has been hands off, at least with regard to Midgard, for a millennium.

Loki, on the other hand, is trying to fill a void inside himself. And, as Thor notes, he has missed the truth of ruling.
I didn't know about that scripted scene. Thanks for that. And I also forgot the passing comment Thor made about Asgard being laughed at by the other realms.

Odin as protector of the 9 realms: I agree that he is similar to Fury. He did lead the battle against the Jotuns in the past and saved Earth. Is this altruistic? If he let the Jotuns take over earth, then the Jotuns would become more powerful and would be much harder to defeat.

Loki missed a lot of truths, the big one is that he is loved.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #450
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Loki missed a lot of truths, the big one is that he is loved.

Closed Thread