The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #251
elizah72
Side-Kick

Default Re: "You ready for another Bout?"- The Thor/Chris Hemsworth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
That would be interesting and great to see if it did happen.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I always did think that there might be something that happens in this film that will cause Thor to leave Asgard by the end of the film and stay on Earth which would allow him to become more established as a hero on Earth to its inhabitants and that we wouldn't have to wait to see Thor appear on screen once the Avengers 2 came out.
That is another excellent point. This scenario might allow him to do that in a way that makes sense.

and not to make it about Loki (as some of you know I often do ) but....

wouldn't it be a major surprising twist if in the process of all of this, Thor loses favor with Odin, and Loki on the other hand stays and fights for Asgard and gains Odin's favor and approval finally?

Last edited by elizah72; 11-15-2012 at 06:01 PM.
elizah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #252
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
Something interesting I've been considering. There is a bus on the new set pics with a movie clearly titled "Moral Sacrifice" advertised on it. This is very very likely something that is a hint as to what is in store for Thor to deal with in Thor 2. I would be very very surprised if it wasn't. How do you think that "moral sacrifice" might influence the story for Thor in Thor 2?

And I dont believe it's just a random movie title, "self sacrifice" was clearly a theme for Thor in Thor 1, so seems like a story about "moral sacrifice" is a likely follow up.
I think it's more likely to be an Easter Egg, ie, a hidden cute inside reference placed there to wink at fans like us. In Thor1, Easter Eggs included the following: the water tank in the background when Thor is walking up to the Destroyer reads "Home of the Vikings". On a billboard that Jane and Co. can see when they're sitting on the roof of Smith Motors reads "New Mexico, Land of Enchantment. . .Journey into Mystery".

Not to say that it can't be more significant, as you suggest. I just think it's less likely.

Now, to argue the "pro" side of the case: I recall reading that they (whoever "they" are) have planned to have all the heroes struggle with what transpired in The Avengers. They would all be processing the implications. Yes, they saved the world, but a lot of bystanders were hurt. I heard that in IM3, they would specifically discuss (a) bystander(s) that died. The heroes have to come to terms with that. In The Avengers, we see Thor ruminating on how the Asgardians are the ones who have caused all this trouble. That may continue to weigh on his mind.

I can make some general comments about what elizah says behind the spoiler button, before I get to specifics.

When I was thinking about her post, I realized I wasn't quite certain what "moral sacrifice" meant to people. I did a quick Google, and found a couple of different meanings. Generally, it means the sacrifice of one's morals (duh), but there are all sorts of different sacrifices and all sorts of different morals. So they can go in any of a number of different directions with this. It's rich in possibilities, and it's another reason why this movie could be really terrific (if indeed they incorporate this element). I think we'll have a hard time anticipating what such a moral sacrifice they might have in mind, though, because there are so many possibilities.

Quote:
My theory with some recent spoilers so tags...

at the moment the theory I have, explains why Thor is alone fighting the Dark Elves and Malekith in these new scenes filming now. If he is asked by Odin to let the Dark Elves have Midgard, because there is so much bad going on in Asgard and the other realms. With the fighting in Bourne Woods shown a while back, it seems like there may be another non elf army threatening everyone else as well, and so it's seen as "for the greater good" that Thor just stay on fighting for Asgard and to help fight off this army, and ignore for now what happens to Midgard. But this is not a "moral sacrifice" Thor can accept. He vowed to defend Midgard and wont stand by and let it be taken over or destroyed, and so he deserts Asgard willingly, and defies father again, and goes down to defend Earth against the Dark Elves anyway. This would certainly make Odin less likely to make him King if he seems he's more invested in saving and protecting another realm than staying and defending Asgard and getting the other threat back under control. but at the same time, I can't see Thor doing any less than trying to defend Earth in such a situation. So... thoughts?
I have the impression that Odin in the books would give this order. I'm not as certain that Odin in the movies would. So I'm not certain this exact dilemma would be set up. On the other hand, it would add weight to the iconic "For Asgard!"/"For Midgard!"/"For Myself!" climax with Surtur in the Simonson arc.

So does this mean I'm going to have to add Ultimates Thor to my (ever longer) reading list?

American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #253
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:

I always did think that there might be something that happens in this film that will cause Thor to leave Asgard by the end of the film and stay on Earth which would allow him to become more established as a hero on Earth to its inhabitants and that we wouldn't have to wait to see Thor appear on screen once the Avengers 2 came out.
That is a very good point! AN interesting angle that I had not thought about.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #254
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
I know lol that is what I was talking about, that "DOOM" was the sound of him welding twilight. which would be a great way to start the film off!

What I would like to see, this is far fetched, but maybe 3 or 4 times through out the film. We randomly get that DOOM and it literally shakes the 9 realms! just a few random spots through out the movie. I think that would be friggin awesome
Well, I looked at the pages again, and it doesn't look like the word is being used as onomatopoeia (hooray! I got to use that word in conversation once in my life!) for the hammer connecting with the work, but rather the narrator's comment on the implication of Surtur's forging Twilight.

But I agree with the idea you put forward--have some cutaways several times to a big figure forging something, we hear the sound shake the theater, and we are filled with dread. Definitely start the film with one of those.

I think it definitely would be in keeping with the spirit of Simonson's presentation.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #255
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Something interesting I've been considering. There is a bus on the new set pics with a movie clearly titled "Moral Sacrifice" advertised on it. This is very very likely something that is a hint as to what is in store for Thor to deal with in Thor 2. I would be very very surprised if it wasn't. How do you think that "moral sacrifice" might influence the story for Thor in Thor 2?

And I dont believe it's just a random movie title, "self sacrifice" was clearly a theme for Thor in Thor 1, so seems like a story about "moral sacrifice" is a likely follow up. My theory with some recent spoilers so tags...

at the moment the theory I have, explains why Thor is alone fighting the Dark Elves and Malekith in these new scenes filming now. If he is asked by Odin to let the Dark Elves have Midgard, because there is so much bad going on in Asgard and the other realms. With the fighting in Bourne Woods shown a while back, it seems like there may be another non elf army threatening everyone else as well, and so it's seen as "for the greater good" that Thor just stay on fighting for Asgard and to help fight off this army, and ignore for now what happens to Midgard. But this is not a "moral sacrifice" Thor can accept. He vowed to defend Midgard and wont stand by and let it be taken over or destroyed, and so he deserts Asgard willingly, and defies father again, and goes down to defend Earth against the Dark Elves anyway. This would certainly make Odin less likely to make him King if he seems he's more invested in saving and protecting another realm than staying and defending Asgard and getting the other threat back under control. but at the same time, I can't see Thor doing any less than trying to defend Earth in such a situation. So... thoughts?
Elizah, make sure you save this comment I am about write, or take a picture of it, cause it doesn't happen often. But I agree with you I like this idea lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
I think it's more likely to be an Easter Egg, ie, a hidden cute inside reference placed there to wink at fans like us. In Thor1, Easter Eggs included the following: the water tank in the background when Thor is walking up to the Destroyer reads "Home of the Vikings". On a billboard that Jane and Co. can see when they're sitting on the roof of Smith Motors reads "New Mexico, Land of Enchantment. . .Journey into Mystery".

Not to say that it can't be more significant, as you suggest. I just think it's less likely.

Now, to argue the "pro" side of the case: I recall reading that they (whoever "they" are) have planned to have all the heroes struggle with what transpired in The Avengers. They would all be processing the implications. Yes, they saved the world, but a lot of bystanders were hurt. I heard that in IM3, they would specifically discuss (a) bystander(s) that died. The heroes have to come to terms with that. In The Avengers, we see Thor ruminating on how the Asgardians are the ones who have caused all this trouble. That may continue to weigh on his mind.

I can make some general comments about what elizah says behind the spoiler button, before I get to specifics.

When I was thinking about her post, I realized I wasn't quite certain what "moral sacrifice" meant to people. I did a quick Google, and found a couple of different meanings. Generally, it means the sacrifice of one's morals (duh), but there are all sorts of different sacrifices and all sorts of different morals. So they can go in any of a number of different directions with this. It's rich in possibilities, and it's another reason why this movie could be really terrific (if indeed they incorporate this element). I think we'll have a hard time anticipating what such a moral sacrifice they might have in mind, though, because there are so many possibilities.

I have the impression that Odin in the books would give this order. I'm not as certain that Odin in the movies would. So I'm not certain this exact dilemma would be set up. On the other hand, it would add weight to the iconic "For Asgard!"/"For Midgard!"/"For Myself!" climax with Surtur in the Simonson arc.

So does this mean I'm going to have to add Ultimates Thor to my (ever longer) reading list?
The Iconic
for asgard/midgard/myself
moment HAS to happen

Especially if the movie is setting up several character arcs that can lead for a loki redemption. as I said before, Loki's redemption should be against surtur. The movie is based off the run. In the run, that is loki's remption. It is logical for the movie too, not only cause its what happens in the arc this movie is based off of, but it just simply makes sense. This one demon comes in and loki finally redeems himself. I for one can't wait to see a throw down with Odin, Thor, and Loki vs Surtur

Quote:
Well, I looked at the pages again, and it doesn't look like the word is being used as onomatopoeia (hooray! I got to use that word in conversation once in my life!) for the hammer connecting with the work, but rather the narrator's comment on the implication of Surtur's forging Twilight.

But I agree with the idea you put forward--have some cutaways several times to a big figure forging something, we hear the sound shake the theater, and we are filled with dread. Definitely start the film with one of those.

I think it definitely would be in keeping with the spirit of Simonson's presentation.
I love it.

If surtur is saved for 3, have those random dooms throughout the movie haha

Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #256
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Elizah, make sure you save this comment I am about write, or take a picture of it, cause it doesn't happen often. But I agree with you I like this idea lol
SAVED! You can't take it back now!

and another point, from the synopsis "Thor must embark on his most perilous and personal journey yet, one that will reunite him with Jane Foster and force him to sacrifice everything to save us all." The wording, most personal journey yet and force him to sacrifice everything to save *us* all would certainly support my theory.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #257
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:

And I dont believe it's just a random movie title, "self sacrifice" was clearly a theme for Thor in Thor 1, so seems like a story about "moral sacrifice" is a likely follow up. My theory with some recent spoilers so tags...

Quote:

Quote:
That is another excellent point. This scenario might allow him to do that in a way that makes sense.

and not to make it about Loki (as some of you know I often do ) but....

wouldn't it be a major surprising twist if in the process of all of this, Thor loses favor with Odin, and Loki on the other hand stays and fights for Asgard and gains Odin's favor and approval finally?
Quote:

Quote:
@herolee10, @Jon(Aqua) (Anyone else is welcome to weigh in, too.):
Do you think comics-Odin would give the order elizah suggests, to abandon the defense of Midgard in favor of the defense of Asgard? Do you think movie-Odin would give such an order? (elizah: I assume you have a no opinion on comics-Odin and obviously have a position on movie-Odin )

Quote:
The Iconic
for asgard/midgard/myself
moment HAS to happen

Especially if the movie is setting up several character arcs that can lead for a loki redemption. as I said before, Loki's redemption should be against surtur. The movie is based off the run. In the run, that is loki's remption. It is logical for the movie too, not only cause its what happens in the arc this movie is based off of, but it just simply makes sense. This one demon comes in and loki finally redeems himself. I for one can't wait to see a throw down with Odin, Thor, and Loki vs Surtur

I love it.

If surtur is saved for 3, have those random dooms throughout the movie haha
I agree. It could be a huge cliffhanger!

This exiled-Thor idea is growing me. So if Thor is outcast (um, again) and living on Earth at the end of T:TDW:
1. That's another cliffhanger--how will he reconcile with Asgard given that they surely will need him for Surtur.
2.As I said, it adds power to Thor's declaration, "For Midgard!", in the iconic moment.
3. I've always felt having Surtur show up at the end of Thor2 would make the movie overstuffed, and cheat all the fights in the rush to get through the whole story. But there were two things I hadn't figured out about the alternative: a) what would fill out the rest of Thor3 and b) what would keep knowledgeable fans curious? I mean, if it's *just* the Surtur fight, everyone who's read the Simonson arc will know exactly what to expect, and there's no suspense.

Maybe this idea addresses all of these aspects.

Ooo! <shiver>

Apologies to those avoiding spoilers for putting most of this behind spoiler buttons.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #258
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Well, in my honest opinion regarding the matter:

1. I could see Movie-Odin resorting to abandoning the Earth if he feels like he has no other choice. I remember on how in "Thor 1", Odin mentioned on how much he had to sacrifice in the past in order to maintain the overall peace, and given his ancient age, this is probably a person who has gotten used to having to make big sacrifices if push came to shove.

2. Rather than being exiled, I could see Thor choosing to leave Earth, in a similar manner that "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" had done when Thor left Asgard at the beginning on his own free will after getting into a argument with Odin. Thor's development as a character could eventually evolve through the course of the next Avengers and Thor film (Thor 3) where Thor realizes that Earth is well enough in capable of hands of defending itself and that he doesn't need to be there as much as a result.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #259
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
and another point, from the synopsis "Thor must embark on his most perilous and personal journey yet, one that will reunite him with Jane Foster and force him to sacrifice everything to save us all." The wording, most personal journey yet and force him to sacrifice everything to save *us* all would certainly support my theory.
True!

Quote:

1. I could see Movie-Odin resorting to abandoning the Earth if he feels like he has no other choice. I remember on how in "Thor 1", Odin mentioned on how much he had to sacrifice in the past in order to maintain the overall peace, and given his ancient age, this is probably a person who has gotten used to having to make big sacrifices if push came to shove.

2. Rather than being exiled, I could see Thor choosing to leave Earth, in a similar manner that "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" had done when Thor left Asgard at the beginning on his own free will after getting into a argument with Odin. Thor's development as a character could eventually evolve through the course of the next Avengers and Thor film (Thor 3) where Thor realizes that Earth is well enough in capable of hands of defending itself and that he doesn't need to be there as much as a result.
Thanks! I can see that. They would be very interesting developments. And I guess I have to add "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" to my backlog as well (sigh).

Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #260
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
@herolee10, @Jon(Aqua) (Anyone else is welcome to weigh in, too.):
Do you think comics-Odin would give the order elizah suggests, to abandon the defense of Midgard in favor of the defense of Asgard? Do you think movie-Odin would give such an order? (elizah: I assume you have a no opinion on comics-Odin and obviously have a position on movie-Odin )

I agree. It could be a huge cliffhanger!

This exiled-Thor idea is growing me. So if Thor is outcast (um, again) and living on Earth at the end of T:TDW:
1. That's another cliffhanger--how will he reconcile with Asgard given that they surely will need him for Surtur.
2.As I said, it adds power to Thor's declaration, "For Midgard!", in the iconic moment.
3. I've always felt having Surtur show up at the end of Thor2 would make the movie overstuffed, and cheat all the fights in the rush to get through the whole story. But there were two things I hadn't figured out about the alternative: a) what would fill out the rest of Thor3 and b) what would keep knowledgeable fans curious? I mean, if it's *just* the Surtur fight, everyone who's read the Simonson arc will know exactly what to expect, and there's no suspense.

Maybe this idea addresses all of these aspects.

Ooo! <shiver>

Apologies to those avoiding spoilers for putting most of this behind spoiler buttons.
I think it actually makes sense to finish this movie off with Surtur. Makes a good point. We would know who is coming. Idk if I want Thor exiled again. I want to see how he has matured. He may get sent to earth, but i dont want him to loose his powers.

And yeah, Odin would definitally tell thor to abandon midgard.

Quote:

Not sure if I agree with the EMH way. I wouldn't mind seein him on earth for a bit. But not when earth problems are his only problem. I will want more than 50% of his problems to be asgardian related

basically, i don't want him, or the ga to forget he's asgardian

get what im saying?

Quote:
True!

Thanks! I can see that. They would be very interesting developments. And I guess I have to add "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" to my backlog as well (sigh).
EMH was greaet lol

Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #261
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:

Not sure if I agree with the EMH way. I wouldn't mind seein him on earth for a bit. But not when earth problems are his only problem. I will want more than 50% of his problems to be asgardian related

basically, i don't want him, or the ga to forget he's asgardian

get what im saying?

No doubt about it. I mean, if what I think really does happen, I could just see the ending of Thor 2 feature Thor getting adjusted towards being on Earth more often and that it's in Thor 3 where he returns back to Asgard to deal with its problems.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #262
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yes to both of these.

and yes as jaqua99 stated too, from what I know of comics Odin he'd likely abandon Midgard like a hot mess. Especially with so much bad going on "upstairs"

I dont think exile, I think more choosing to "sacrifice" (as in the the synopsis) his role on Asgard to defend Earth, and while Odin isnt happy that doesn't mean he wont take him back. What Thor does in this instance is not anywhere near the same as his attack on the Jotuns, or all the bad stuff Loki does, so no reason to exile Thor. What Thor does is out of love not hate. it'll just bother Odin that he now seems more loyal to Midgard than Asgard. not a good quality to have in a king.

RE: Surtur, I'm still leaning towards seeing him in Thor3. I think we are too jam packed with stuff at the moment and he'd be better served later as the major bad in Thor 3, not just showing up at the end to possibly kill Odin. Plus I think it may be too early to kill Odin. I've always assumed there would be at least 3 Thor movies.

I'm currently mulling over the scenarios of where Thor could be living at the end of Thor 2 and why, but will get back to you in a bit about that.

Last edited by elizah72; 11-16-2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: edit: put in the word Earth when meant Asgard
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #263
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Yes to both of these.

and yes as jaqua99 stated too, from what I know of comics Odin he'd likely abandon Midgard like a hot mess. Especially with so much bad going on "upstairs"

I dont think exile, I think more choosing to "sacrifice" (as in the the synopsis) his role on Asgard to defend Earth, and while Odin isnt happy that doesn't mean he wont take him back. What Thor does in this instance is not anywhere near the same as his attack on the Jotuns, or all the bad stuff Loki does, so no reason to exile Thor. What Thor does is out of love not hate. it'll just bother Odin that he now seems more loyal to Midgard than Asgard. not a good quality to have in a king.

RE: Surtur, I'm still leaning towards seeing him in Thor3. I think we are too jam packed with stuff at the moment and he'd be better served later as the major bad in Thor 3, not just showing up at the end to possibly kill Odin. Plus I think it may be too early to kill Odin. I've always assumed there would be at least 3 Thor movies.

I'm currently mulling over the scenarios of where Thor could be living at the end of Thor 2 and why, but will get back to you in a bit about that.
I prefer Surtur to appear in 3 as well. I am hoping for a post credit scene. But the snyopsis is making me think otherwise

Old 11-17-2012, 05:09 AM   #264
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

You know, on another note, I hope that whenever Thor makes a grand entrance in "TDW" that it gains the same type of reaction that he got when he first appeared on screen in "The Avengers".

The looks and reactions on Tony's, Steve's, Natasha's, and Loki's faces when they all heard and felt Thor landing on top of the Quinjet, mixed in with the iconography and music of that moment was just EPIC. IT really conveyed on what a force and presence that Thor was and that when he arrives onto the scene, it's a whole new ball game/game changer.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #265
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
You know, on another note, I hope that whenever Thor makes a grand entrance in "TDW" that it gains the same type of reaction that he got when he first appeared on screen in "The Avengers".

The looks and reactions on Tony's, Steve's, Natasha's, and Loki's faces when they all heard and felt Thor landing on top of the Quinjet, mixed in with the iconography and music of that moment was just EPIC. IT really conveyed on what a force and presence that Thor was and that when he arrives onto the scene, it's a whole new ball game/game changer.
Very true, I hope Thor mades a similar or even better grand entrance at the beginning of Thor:TDW:

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #266
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Very true, I hope Thor mades a similar or even better grand entrance at the beginning of Thor:TDW:
that was the best entrance if the MCU.

I remember seeing it in the theater, I was like..**** yeah! out loud haha

Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #267
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

You know, one thing that I hope that we get to see in a few more interactions between Thor and Erik Selvig. That was one thing that I had wished that we had seen more of in "The Avengers", but I understand why there wasn't enough time to deal with that. Still, it would have been nice to see their interactions post Erik witnessing what Thor could really do and how he was telling the truth about his identity back in the first film.

If they had allowed the events in "Thor" to have taken place from a span of a few months as opposed to just 3 days, Erik could have even been used imho as a good surrogate father figure for Thor (despite their huge age differences.lol) on Earth.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #268
Godzilla2000
A Hunter's Nightmare

Oh lol, my mom just told me a few minutes ago that in Australia they were reporting a record number of lightning strikes. I told her that was nothing to worry about, it just meant that Chris Hemsworth was home visiting for awhile. She did not know that Chris was Australian, which surprised me. I thought his accent was a give away about that.

- I'd say he's the ragiest but Rajang takes that top spot.

- I'm not the type of person who gets pride from saying, "Look at me." I'd rather take a moment to step back and say to myself, "Look at my baby."
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #269
elizah72
Side-Kick

I love that someone made a gif of this

I wonder if the lions will roar again in Thor 2.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #270
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
I love that someone made a gif of this

I wonder if the lions will roar again in Thor 2.
dying lmao

Old 11-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #271
Lady Marion
Anyone else?

I add one: The first time you saw that Loki is adopted:

Lady Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #272
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

"KAYYYYY....."

Old 11-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #273
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion View Post
I add one: The first time you saw that Loki is adopted
Yes that does make it look kinda obvious, doesn't it? LOL

Old 11-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #274
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Not terribly Thor related....other than the title they gave the 'hold' - but Hemsworth holding India (I swear his biceps are as big as she is in this pic *lol*)

and just to keep it Thor related, they also had a set pic in the Star Tracks section that's similar (if not the same) as a lot of the set pics we've been seeing recently:

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #275
elizah72
Side-Kick

HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!

I gotta admit though, Hostess cup cakes ARE delicious!