The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #76
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,216
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
First Class might turn out to be a different timeline from X1, X2 and X3.
Thats starting to make the most sense to me. It would leave them with a fresh future of films without a reboot.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #77
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip
 
Spider-Fan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,721
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

that's the beauty of creating an alternate timeline, even once you fix the past and reestablish the original timeline, there's no guarantee everything will happen exactly the same... so, they can really just pick and choose what to leave in and what to ignore without totally dismissing the whole thing


Last edited by Spider-Fan83; 11-06-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #78
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger
 
Duran Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,277
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
First Class might turn out to be a different timeline from X1, X2 and X3.
I'm hoping this is what will happen; they won't be restricted to lining things up with the OT and can move forward with a clean slate.

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Duran Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #79
NanaT
X-Men United!
 
NanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,381
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

It would be a good idea if they did that. As long as they don't over complicate DOFP with a convoluted story trying to explain how the different timelines came to be. And (if they're planning on continuing the original trilogy after Dofp) how it co exists with the original timeline

NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #80
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,858
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
It would be a good idea if they did that. As long as they don't over complicate DOFP with a convoluted story trying to explain how the different timelines came to be. And (if they're planning on continuing the original trilogy after Dofp) how it co exists with the original timeline
They might need a character like Bishop, Cable or Destiny to give any exposition on timelines and time travel.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #81
Angamb
Banned User
 
Angamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 13,348
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
They might need a character like Bishop, Cable or Destiny to give any exposition on timelines and time travel.
sounds like a simple and smart idea

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:27 AM   #82
huzzah
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 609
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
It would be a good idea if they did that. As long as they don't over complicate DOFP with a convoluted story trying to explain how the different timelines came to be. And (if they're planning on continuing the original trilogy after Dofp) how it co exists with the original timeline
Well they will have to because the average movie going audience will end up confused just as I am right now.

In the comics the Sentinels were already the threat even before the DOFP series.

In the film verse they dont exist. So why send someone back to the past to stop a threat that's never existed? Even if you send someone back to the past, just before the point of creation of the Sentinels, then in the future the threat doesn't exist. Therefore there was never a need to send someone back to the past in the first place.

huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #83
BMM
Side-Kick
 
BMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,376
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Considering the average movie going audience doesn't have a problem with the 3 Terminator films that cover that exact same thing, I don't think they will have a problem with Days of Future Past.


Last edited by BMM; 11-17-2012 at 05:33 AM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #84
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,858
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzah View Post
Well they will have to because the average movie going audience will end up confused just as I am right now.

In the comics the Sentinels were already the threat even before the DOFP series.

In the film verse they dont exist. So why send someone back to the past to stop a threat that's never existed? Even if you send someone back to the past, just before the point of creation of the Sentinels, then in the future the threat doesn't exist. Therefore there was never a need to send someone back to the past in the first place.
They might show that Sentinels did exist in some secret base but hadn't yet been unleashed.

Or it might be some event that leads to Sentinels being built.

In the animated series, the Sentinels had already been built at the time of the assassination.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #85
huzzah
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 609
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Considering the average movie going audience doesn't have a problem with the 3 Terminator films that cover that exact same thing, I don't think they will have a problem with Days of Future Past.
But were they direct sequels to each other? Doesn't matter how many times Terminators were sent back to fix the past the future still happened.

DOFP is supposed to be a First Class sequel to I am assuming they only need to fix the past, whenever that was, once.


Last edited by huzzah; 11-17-2012 at 08:06 AM.
huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #86
huzzah
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 609
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
They might show that Sentinels did exist in some secret base but hadn't yet been unleashed.

Or it might be some event that leads to Sentinels being built.

In the animated series, the Sentinels had already been built at the time of the assassination.
Ok lets say someone had secret plans for sentinels in the late 60s. They're preparing to build them. A message from the future is sent to past to destroy the sentinel plans. The plans are destroyed and so is the creator of the sentinels in the 60s.

The problem is the period in between the 60s and the future. In the filmverse the sentinels dont exist either as plans or final product. So how do they get built in the future when there are no plans and the creator is dead?

And stretch the argument a bit further lets say by coincidence, someone build sentinels after the events of X3. What's the point in sending some back to the First Class period? They've missed the boat by about 30+ years.

huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #87
Angamb
Banned User
 
Angamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 13,348
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzah View Post
Ok lets say someone had secret plans for sentinels in the late 60s. They're preparing to build them. A message from the future is sent to past to destroy the sentinel plans. The plans are destroyed and so is the creator of the sentinels in the 60s.

The problem is the period in between the 60s and the future. In the filmverse the sentinels dont exist either as plans or final product. So how do they get built in the future when there are no plans and the creator is dead?

And stretch the argument a bit further lets say by coincidence, someone build sentinels after the events of X3. What's the point in sending some back to the First Class period? They've missed the boat by about 30+ years.
the x-men learn that the sentinels were built in the 60's on that future situation, so that's why they sent someone to the past.

Just because the sentinels hasnt appeared between the 60's and 2014 doesnt mean they werent created.

It just happen that the goverment on 2014 (or whatever the year is) decides to use them now, not on the 70's, 80's or 90's.

There isnt a problem with this at all.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #88
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 10,102
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

People are Ignoring the obvious possibilty and how they tie the films together.

Post First Class Magneto could plot assassination.Since Matthew Vaughn wrote the treatment and If they really want to go down the alternate future path It could be JFK.

The assassination Is world's public exposure to mutants.Thus beguins the antimutant hysteria.The government started the weapon X Project to use mutants as weapons
against other mutants.Eventully the registeration act Is purposed.This leads to events of trilogy.Post trilogy antimutants devolp a new weapon The Sentinles.They are used to
try to deal with the so called Mutant problems.The sentinles turn on creators.

You've just connected all the films there.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #89
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,858
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
People are Ignoring the obvious possibilty and how they tie the films together.

Post First Class Magneto could plot assassination.Since Matthew Vaughn wrote the treatment and If they really want to go down the alternate future path It could be JFK.

The assassination Is world's public exposure to mutants.Thus beguins the antimutant hysteria.The government started the weapon X Project to use mutants as weapons
against other mutants.Eventully the registeration act Is purposed.This leads to events of trilogy.Post trilogy antimutants devolp a new weapon The Sentinles.They are used to
try to deal with the so called Mutant problems.The sentinles turn on creators.

You've just connected all the films there.
I like that chain of events.

One thing that needs thinking about is the start of X1 when Jean Grey is talking about mutants at the senate hearing. The government already has a list of mutants, and in X2 we saw all those files on Stryker's computer, but it always seemed like something had recently happened before the start of X1 to make mutants an issue. I would like to see that addressed, perhaps in a later film. What was it that made them want a registration act?

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #90
Angamb
Banned User
 
Angamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 13,348
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

with four decades until X1, one would guess Magneto and his brotherhood more other villains made more damage than what we have seen on the franchise to date, lol, so any of the events from those decades led to the registration act.

I love that concept so I want to see it explored in a future sequel, definetly. Maybe for the 80's sequel, whenever that comes

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #91
Legion
Side-Kick
 
Legion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,022
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
People are Ignoring the obvious possibilty and how they tie the films together.

Post First Class Magneto could plot assassination.Since Matthew Vaughn wrote the treatment and If they really want to go down the alternate future path It could be JFK.

The assassination Is world's public exposure to mutants.Thus beguins the antimutant hysteria.The government started the weapon X Project to use mutants as weapons
against other mutants.Eventully the registeration act Is purposed.This leads to events of trilogy.Post trilogy antimutants devolp a new weapon The Sentinles.They are used to
try to deal with the so called Mutant problems.The sentinles turn on creators.

You've just connected all the films there.
And you seem to be ignoring how flawed this JFK assassination scenario is. If JFK's assassination was the catalyst for the government sanctioned production and deployment of Sentinels against mutants it would probably be the slowest reaction to a perceived threat in history.

The "present" X-men series take place about 40 years after JFK's assassination and the post apocalyptic future would have to take place after X3 and The Wolverine.

Senator Kelley was killed by Magneto and impersonated by Mystique for quite some time after his death. I think this was probably the best demonstration of how dangerous mutants could be yet this didn't cause the anti-mutant hysteria that would cause the dofp future.

An assassination attempt was made on the president in X2. This didn't cause the "anti-mutant hysteria" you are speaking of.

Actually what is this anti-mutant hysteria you speak of? In the X-films the existence of mutants appears to have only recently been revealed to the public. With the exception of Stryker we didn't really see a strong hatred towards mutants from ordinary humans.

Also why would Magneto assassinate JFK? It seems to be a bit out of character for him. Magneto wants what he believes is best for his people. I don't see how this act could benefit mutants unless JFK is portrayed as a bigot...

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #92
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 10,102
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Matthew Vaughn himself raised possibilty of Magneto assassination JFK for taking all the credit for solving the cuban Missille crisis

That would start the chain of events to antimutant hysteria.for DOFP to work some event In past causes sentinles In post X-Men trilogy and The wolverine.

It would make sense for Sentinles to be created post Trilogy and The Wolveriine.we have had weapon X,Registration act,Stryker's genocidel plan,and the cure against mutants.The Sentinles could work as next weapon against mutants.

With all due respect thinking they will keep mutants a secret to public for 30 plus years after events of first Class Is't likely.And noone besides the X-Men know that Kelly was killed and replaced by Mystique.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #93
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip
 
Spider-Fan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,721
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

the thing is, how would it create an alternate timeline, wouldn't that just be history...

the more I think about it wouldn't a change in the past that alters the future have to be cause by someone either from the future/or with knowledge of the future

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #94
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,780
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Quote:
And you seem to be ignoring how flawed this JFK assassination scenario is. If JFK's assassination was the catalyst for the government sanctioned production and deployment of Sentinels against mutants it would probably be the slowest reaction to a perceived threat in history.
The Sentinels don't neccessarily need to have shown up in the 60's. I would imagine it would take some time to make sentient murder robots a reality.

They could easily just be the "Not So Distant Future's" method for solving the mutant problem since, due to the events of whatever the X-Men are supposed to stop from happening in the 60's, simply made things worse, and created an ongoing hate and fear of mutants and earlier and more extreme versions of the registration act/mutant persecution, VS a world that barely knew what mutants were in X-MEN, X2, etc.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #95
conan69
Cimmerian
 
conan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,022
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Actually I think it will be JFK.

We got a clue about it awhile back, with a quote that said the sequel would focus heavily on Magneto (being responsible for the magic bullet).

Im guessing they have to prevent Magneto from killing JFK in order to save the future we have seen in the established trilogy, while trying to prevent a timeline that occurs due to a Mutant killing Kennedy - which will include some form of Sentinels or Mutant Death Squads.

__________________


Last edited by conan69; 11-18-2012 at 12:07 AM.
conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #96
huzzah
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 609
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

If you're going to stop Magneto go back to the 1920s and stop him from being born.

As for the magic bullet(s) that kill JFK who are they intended for, Jackie Kennedy? The Govenor of Texas?

huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #97
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,163
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
If JFK's assassination was the catalyst for the government sanctioned production and deployment of Sentinels against mutants it would probably be the slowest reaction to a perceived threat in history.
My thoughts exactly.

So there's an assassination attempt in the 60s which creates a public hysteria and a wave of anti-mutant feeling, and then... nothing happens for 30-40 years until there's suddenly a whole wave of anti-mutant actions one after another? And if the assassination is this powerful catalyst, why would absolutely no one mention it in the original trilogy? Wouldn't it be one of the very first things Kelly would bring up in his X1 speech as an argument for why mutants are dangerous? You people killed so-and-so!

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #98
conan69
Cimmerian
 
conan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,022
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

^ Thats the way I was thinking about it, and it took me a few minutes to wrap my head around it, simply because I havent read DoFP in 20 years.

But remember the time travel is to the past, not to the future. The future scenes are the alternate future... completely different from the 3 films we saw. The event that needs to be prevented is in the past or modern day - which for First Class is during Kennedy times.

They would be trying to save the history we are aware of and have seen in X-Men 1 - 3 where a Mutant isnt blamed for the assassination (No sentinels/death squads/no mutant registration act/ no mass mutant murders, etc).
The alternate future, where a mutant IS blamed would contain none of what we saw in the 3 films. It would be all together different. The established trilogy would cease to exist.

The magic bullet theory does exist in our, and the first 3 films reality. So JFK is assassinated in both time lines. The difference might be a Magneto grandstand where his intent was to be a show of force to the world.

For instance, Magneto is preoccupied with a few Mutants and his chance to kill JFK in front of the world is quickly passing by... Oswald shoots, and Magneto "aware" of the bullet, makes sure it takes Kennedy out by forcing it to go in and out of his body many times...Oswald is still blamed and established history is saved.

The scenario theyre trying to stop would be Magneto landing in front of the line of cars and in a display of power,killing Kennedy and the people in attendence. As a result the people and gov't panic and hello sentinels and mutants death squads.


Its too bad it really wouldnt work out for Cyclops to be in this. I would love to see something where Cyclops is a huge hero in the alt future scenes, so essentially, by fighting to prevent the "bad" future for Mutants, Scott is actually securing the meaningless death we saw.

__________________


Last edited by conan69; 11-18-2012 at 10:04 AM.
conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #99
Legion
Side-Kick
 
Legion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,022
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Matthew Vaughn himself raised possibilty of Magneto assassination JFK for taking all the credit for solving the cuban Missille crisis

That would start the chain of events to antimutant hysteria.for DOFP to work some event In past causes sentinles In post X-Men trilogy and The wolverine.

It would make sense for Sentinles to be created post Trilogy and The Wolveriine.we have had weapon X,Registration act,Stryker's genocidel plan,and the cure against mutants.The Sentinles could work as next weapon against mutants.

With all due respect thinking they will keep mutants a secret to public for 30 plus years after events of first Class Is't likely.And noone besides the X-Men know that Kelly was killed and replaced by Mystique.
Yes, the US government learns this when they have Mystique apprehended
in X3.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #100
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 10,102
Default Re: So what will be this Preventable Event?

There was no mention of that In Last Stand.She was caught using the form of Secretary Trask.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.