kvz5
HBIC

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Banner from Awardsdaily.com

Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #352
TheGuy
Side-Kick

After seeing a rip, I think Wally should get his 2nd award.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #353
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
You'd think TDKR was so bad with all the crap it gets, when everything shows that it's at least better than Batman Begins(which many seems to deny even):

BB:
70/100 Metacritic (8.5 user rating); 85%, 7.7 average rating on RT (62%, 6.7 top critics)

TDK:
82/100 Metacritic (8.9 user rating); 94%, 8.5 average rating on RT (91%, 8.0 top critics)

TDKR:
78/100 Metacritic (8.6 user rating); 87%, 8.0 average rating on RT (76%, 7.9 top critics)

I disagree with the critics. For me it goes in opposite order. BB is the best by a pretty considerable margin, then TDKR, then TDK. But I do agree with your general point that some folks want to make TDKR out to be some kind of SM3-esque disaster, but that is simply not the reality of the situation. TDKR is by far the most highly praised superhero threequel, both by critics and audiences.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #354
Fudgie
Side-Kick

The critics are dead right about TDK being the best. Begins is no prize but it's better than Rises any day.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #355
Dragon_316ca
Side-Kick

Matthew Modine: You can't really relate to Thor, for instance! I like the story, but I don't relate to him -- I can't use his hammer!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #356
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Oh wow, I thought Zimmer was disqualified based on this being a sequel? Guess not.

Go Zimmer!

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #357
Dragon_316ca
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Oh wow, I thought Zimmer was disqualified based on this being a sequel? Guess not.

Go Zimmer!
Zimmer was disqualified for his TDK score because five names were listed on the music cue sheet. The Academy considers works by either one or two composers.

Matthew Modine: You can't really relate to Thor, for instance! I like the story, but I don't relate to him -- I can't use his hammer!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #358
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
I disagree with the critics. For me it goes in opposite order. BB is the best by a pretty considerable margin, then TDKR, then TDK. But I do agree with your general point that some folks want to make TDKR out to be some kind of SM3-esque disaster, but that is simply not the reality of the situation. TDKR is by far the most highly praised superhero threequel, both by critics and audiences.
Right on

I'm pleased some people understand my point.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #359
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Plain and simple, The Dark Knight Rises is a fantastic film, but it has no chance at even getting a nomination for anything this year.

It pains me deeply to say that , but its true.

This year films including The Life of Pi, The Master, Lincoln, Argo, and thats naming a few.

Had it been released in any other year, MAYBE it would have a chance but even then the odds would still be heavily stacked against it due to the fact its a comic book film.

In the eyes of the Academy, its the lowest type of film there is, not even above certain forms of horror.

David Cronenberg's mindset on TDKR and CBMs roughly sums up the mindset of, probably, the vast majority Academy:

"I don't think they are making them an elevated art form, I think it's still Batman running around in a stupid cape. I just don't think it's elevated. Christopher Nolan's best movie is Memento, and that is an interesting movie. I don't think his Batman movies are half as interesting, though they're 20 million times the expense."

"A superhero movie, by definition, you know, it's comic book. It's for kids," Cronenberg asserted. "It's adolescent in its core. That has always been its appeal, and I think people who are saying, you know, Dark Knight Rises is supreme cinema art, I don't think they know what the f--- they're talking about."

And that comes from a man who has directed horror films.

CBMs are seen as juvenile fantasies made for mindless enjoyment and are primarily associated with images of men running around tights fighting bad guys.

Before TDK, the only cbm to get nearly as many nominations as that did was Road to Perdition and that one of the least stereotypical cbms there is.

Even TDK, unarguably the most praised superhero film of all time, relied on heavy realism and non comic book conventions in the telling of its story.

Despite that, it still couldn't manage a nomination.

Therein lies the problem with the Academy and their overall hypocritical and disrespectful views on the comic book film genre in general.

Sci Fi Fantasy type movies like Avatar can be nominated in multiple categories and even in the Best Picture category as well as a Fantasy movie like the Lord of the Rings films can end up being nominated in multiple categories and even end up winning Best Picture, along with an Action/War Drama film (TDKR is an action/ urban war film) like Gladiator can be recognized and even win Best Picture, but the last two Dark Knight films are snubbed because they are comic book genre films??

Utterly hypocritical and disrespectful toward the comic book genre of films and especially toward the last two Dark Knight Batman films.

The Academy has serious issues to get over.

Last edited by Dark Knight; 11-17-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #360
antovolk
Side-Kick

WB Awards screeners - TDKR is one of them (love the cover)

Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #361
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Argo was fantastic.

The Dark Knight Rises was amazing.

Cloud Atlas was okay.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #362
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Mr. Vigilante-10 Years

I have still yet to see Argo or Cloud Atlas, very excited to see them though.

- BEN AFFLECK IS BATMAN-#TrustBatfleck -
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10
Old 11-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #363
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Argo was freaking fantastic
If it won Best Picture, I would not be disappointed.

Free Original Music
Old 11-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #364
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Man, I SO wish that Rises cover would end up as the cover for the Deluxe Edition that comes out next year.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #365
Dark Knight
Banned User

I tell ya.

If TDKR is not one of the 10 films to be nominated for Best Picture this year, than the Academy will basically confirm (again) it's stupidity.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #366
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I'll tell you something now. If Cloud Atlas is nominated, it would be this year's Avatar that has no reason to be nominated. The Wachowskis are no longer "greats" in my book since they've gone down a very slippery slope ever since The Matrix Reloaded.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #367
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I'll tell you something now. If Cloud Atlas is nominated, it would be this year's Avatar that has no reason to be nominated. The Wachowskis are no longer "greats" in my book since they've gone down a very slippery slope ever since The Matrix Reloaded.

Agreed. Clout Atlas was nothing special. A drag of a film IMO.

I liked the roles Hanks played though.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #368
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

Argo should have a guaranteed nomination in the bag. Hell, I think it'd be great if it wins. My 3rd favourite film of the year.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #369
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Therein lies the problem with the Academy and their overall hypocritical and disrespectful views on the comic book film genre in general.

Sci Fi Fantasy type movies like Avatar can be nominated in multiple categories and even in the Best Picture category as well as a Fantasy movie like the Lord of the Rings films can end up being nominated in multiple categories and even end up winning Best Picture, along with an Action/War Drama film (TDKR is an action/ urban war film) like Gladiator can be recognized and even win Best Picture, but the last two Dark Knight films are snubbed because they are comic book genre films??

Utterly hypocritical and disrespectful toward the comic book genre of films and especially toward the last two Dark Knight Batman films.

The Academy has serious issues to get over.
I did not know Cronenberg said that. He does know that A History of Violence (his best film in the last 20 years) was based on a comic book, right? Oh excuse me, "graphic novel."

I do agree with the notion that a superhero is juvenile in its inception, but that does not mean it cannot be elevated to something more. I wouldn't argue The Avengers should be recognized for Best Picture, but I think The Dark Knight was the best film of 2008 and The Dark Knight Rises is certainly one of the 10 best movies of 2012 (though not near the top, IMO).

But I am not surprised by such snobbery. It took forever for LOTR to be recognized. And I think the only horror film to be recognized was Black Swan, because it was about ballet and the acting and images were astounding. Still, it is surprising to hear Cronenberg be the voice of such narrow-mindedness. This is a man who spent much of his early career trying, and usually succeeding, in elevating horror into art with movies like The Fly and The Dead Zone. Horror is in itself a mass consumed genre that usually aims for the lowest denominator. But I doubt he would speak so lowly of films that have elevated it, including his own.

That is very surprising.

--John Adams
Old 11-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #370
Visiting Arkham
Side-Kick

This year's nominees:

The Master
Argo
Silver Linings Playbook
Lincoln
Les Miserables
The Hobbit
Django Unchained
Zero Dark Thirty
Life of Pi
Holy Motors

Underdogs:

Beasts of the Suthern Wild
Anna Karenina
The Sessions
Moonrise Kingdom
Amour
This is 40
The Promised Land
Looper
Cloud Atlas

These are all films that will make it before The Dark Knight Rises, so I would ask that everyone keep their expectations low for a Best Picture Nod. Like, under the foundations of the southeast corner low. Look to the technical awards, which will be difficult enough with juggernauts like The Hobbit and Les Mis in the field.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #371
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

This is 40 has a better chance? Really?

I'm serious, does it honestly have that kind of buzz?

Old 11-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #372
Visiting Arkham
Side-Kick

It's all relative to what the Academy would nominate and vote for. Remember, these are the same people who nominated Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

This is 40 has been getting decent buzz, and since it's more of a dramedy with a highly influential director in Judd Apatow, it definitely has a better shot at being nominated than a superhero film like The Dark Knight Rises. Remember, all this is based on what has happened historically. There will be a superhero film eventually nominated for Best Picture, but if it was going to be anything it would have been The Dark Knight, which was such a massive cultural sensation when it came out, and more universally beloved.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #373
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visiting Arkham View Post
This year's nominees:

The Master
Argo
Silver Linings Playbook
Lincoln
Les Miserables
The Hobbit
Django Unchained
Zero Dark Thirty
Life of Pi
Holy Motors

Underdogs:

Beasts of the Suthern Wild
Anna Karenina
The Sessions
Moonrise Kingdom
Amour
This is 40
The Promised Land
Looper
Cloud Atlas

These are all films that will make it before The Dark Knight Rises, so I would ask that everyone keep their expectations low for a Best Picture Nod. Like, under the foundations of the southeast corner low. Look to the technical awards, which will be difficult enough with juggernauts like The Hobbit and Les Mis in the field.
I think The Hobbit is going to see a major backlash. It might be good, but I bet it is received as apathetically as King Kong and The Lovely Bones were considering it's going to be a 3 hour movie that only makes up A THIRD of an adaptation of a 400-page book (i.e. incredibly overbloated and self-indulgent).

Also, TDKR has a far better shot than Looper and Cloud Atlas, the former of which wasn't received nearly as positively (nor has the taint of "snub" from a previous entry) and the latter of which flopped at the box office and got 50/50 reviews from critics who are more inclined to embrace that sort of unstructured film than Academy voters.

I have no idea what the hype is like for This is 40, but I would be stunned if an Apatow film is ever nominated for a major award. I do agree, TDKR is a long shot, but some of your "underdogs" are more like "underants." I am serious.

--John Adams
Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #374
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visiting Arkham View Post
but if it was going to be anything it would have been The Dark Knight, which was such a massive cultural sensation when it came out, and more universally beloved.
TDKR is as universally loved if not more than TDK... may not seem it looking through these forums but it really is.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #375
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
TDKR is as universally loved if not more than TDK... may not seem it looking through these forums but it really is.
False. Most reviews (even the positive ones) note it as being inferior to TDK. And speaking from personal experience, pretty much everyone I know who's seen it feels the same way.

Free Original Music
Closed Thread