The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #751
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I want more Marvel characters
Don't worry, they are keeping that down for a reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
We'll get them, don't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Uhh...doubt it.
yeah agreed. I don't think pym, or antman will appear.

Though, will we have some super powered heros in this show as well?

ones that WON'T make it into Avengers 2?

also. how many seasons is this suppose to run?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #752
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Uhh...doubt it.
As do I. Maybe SHIELD characters like Quake, Mockingbird, Watermain ect

Old 11-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #753
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Don't worry, they are keeping that down for a reason

There's no way of knowing how long the series will run, or even if it will be picked up by the network. The show will probably make the Fall schedule, but there is always the chance that it won't, for any number of reasons.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #754
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
There's no way of knowing how long the series will run, or even if it will be picked up by the network. The show will probably make the Fall schedule, but there is always the chance that it won't, for any number of reasons.
They'll have Room(B-Apt 23, Last Resort,666, and Practices already gone) and they have faith and you and I know that pilot episode is gonna do "Walking Dead" numbers or better. Its not a question of if it'll be picked up but how long it'll run. I love Whedon and he and his former Mutant Enemy Staff is gonna put together one Heck of a series.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #755
SpocksBrain
Internet Geek

Wait, 666 and Last Resort have already been cancelled? Or am I misunderstanding your statement?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #756
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpocksBrain View Post
Wait, 666 and Last Resort have already been cancelled? Or am I misunderstanding your statement?
Not yet but, its inevitable. I should have worded it better.. My bad

Old 11-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #757
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
They'll have Room(B-Apt 23, Last Resort,666, and Practices already gone) and they have faith and you and I know that pilot episode is gonna do "Walking Dead" numbers or better. Its not a question of if it'll be picked up but how long it'll run.
This.

SHIELD will have first season. That is a given.

However, this show will hold a relationship with an ongoing film universe. This has never been attempted before. How will SHIELD work in the MCU over the course of several seasons? It's certainly quite an undertaking and it will be incredibly interesting to see how it plays out...

ゴジラ
Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #758
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
This.

SHIELD will have first season. That is a given.

However, this show will hold a relationship with an ongoing film universe. This has never been attempted before. How will SHIELD work in the MCU over the course of several seasons? It's certainly quite an undertaking and it will be incredibly interesting to see how it plays out...
This show seems like a pretty safe bet to be picked up. It is a series that ties in with a number of successful movies and fresh off the heels the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time. The creator directed that huge blockbuster and has been the showrunner of several very popular TV series.

Add those factors to the idea that the TV series could potentially see guest spots by some of the stars of the film series and you have a pretty intriguing concept. If they play this right they really could launch additional films from this TV show.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #759
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
As do I. Maybe SHIELD characters like Quake, Mockingbird, Watermain ect

Watermain. That's classic.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 11-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #760
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
This show seems like a pretty safe bet to be picked up. It is a series that ties in with a number of successful movies and fresh off the heels the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time. The creator directed that huge blockbuster and has been the showrunner of several very popular TV series.

Add those factors to the idea that the TV series could potentially see guest spots by some of the stars of the film series and you have a pretty intriguing concept. If they play this right they really could launch additional films from this TV show.
The SHIELD series could be a game changer similar to the integrated universe concept Fiege and company launched with the MCU. The series could be used to enhance public interest in lesser known characters and propel them into the big leagues as the MCU did for Thor, Iron Man and Cap. Though time demands are different in the two media, storylines could potentially flow from small to big screen with season ending cliffhangers being resolved at your local cineplex rather than the following September.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #761
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
The SHIELD series could be a game changer similar to the integrated universe concept Fiege and company launched with the MCU. The series could be used to enhance public interest in lesser known characters and propel them into the big leagues as the MCU did for Thor, Iron Man and Cap. Though time demands are different in the two media,storylines could potentially flow from small to big screen with season ending cliffhangers being resolved at your local cineplex rather than the following September.
Negative on that. I want this SHEILD series to co-exist but not directly have to do with the Movies. SHEILD is a large enough organization that they can have different missions then the events currently in the movies. I want to care about these characters and their missions and not have to think too much on what's going on in the Movies and if they're directly are dealing with the Cap,Widow, Hawkeye, etc.

In seasons down the line maybe a mission handed down to the commanding officer on screen from Fury or Hill but thats about it..

I wish for them expand the universe as a whole as there is a whole world outside of the Avengers

Old 11-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #762
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Someone might connect him to a fire hydrant.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #763
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yes, yes...I can't spell.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #764
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Queen View Post
I am very excited about this show but the character descriptions sound horrible.

Fitz-Simmons is a really dumb nickname too for those characters...I hope they get rid of that garbage
I agree about the character descriptions and the cutesy name. Things like this often sound different on paper than they do when seen in context of the finished production. That's what I'm hoping for here.

My problem with it is that I want to see a SHIELD that is the same badass secret organization from the comics, sending its agents on missions that deal with superheroes, super-science and super-villains. It should be heavy on action and science fiction/comic book elements and light on gimmicky humor. Cliched character dynamics don't interest me at all, but I'm getting those vibes from the info we have thus far.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #765
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I agree about the character descriptions and the cutesy name. Things like this often sound different on paper than they do when seen in context of the finished production. That's what I'm hoping for here.

My problem with it is that I want to see a SHIELD that is the same badass secret organization from the comics, sending its agents on missions that deal with superheroes, super-science and super-villains. It should be heavy on action and science fiction/comic book elements and light on gimmicky humor. Cliched character dynamics don't interest me at all, but I'm getting those vibes from the info we have thus far.

It's television. TV shows make or break on character dynamics, gimmicky or no. Far more so than 2-hour movies that can afford to be story-driven. It's the nature of the medium.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #766
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

^Exactly. Show me a TV show that's "heavy on action" much less "Heavy on comic book elements."

Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #767
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
^Exactly. Show me a TV show that's "heavy on action" much less "Heavy on comic book elements."
Stargate SG-1? Granted, it has very non-action episodes, but it also has a fairly large number of pretty balls-to-the-wall action episodes.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #768
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
If i remember well every episode of Buffy, Angel, Supernatural and Smallville has had action

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #769
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Stargate SG-1? Granted, it has very non-action episodes, but it also has a fairly large number of pretty balls-to-the-wall action episodes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
If i remember well every episode of Buffy, Angel, Supernatural and Smallville has had action
Very true, but would either of you describe those shows to a friend as "heavy on action?" Can you honestly say you watch those shows for the action? There are a LOT of shows that feature an average of one or two fights per episode. Very doable, but the appeal of any fiction show remains in the character interaction and development.

No show can make it without drawing the audience into character interactions, at least, not until they learn to make their action very cheap. This is something Power Rangers has actually done over the years, by using non-union martial artists that can sort of act, filming overseas and reusing Japanese Footage. That's a show I would describe as heavy on action. It sure is light on everything else. And they still can only pull that off for 22 minutes at a time. No one can do that with real actors in the states for a full hour drama. That's why we have "action movies" but not "action shows."

Last edited by DrCosmic; 11-17-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #770
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post

There will definitely be super powered heroes in the show...it's SHIELD after all that's what they do lol. And yeah more than likely most won't make it into the movies though they might be referenced every now and then.

And like others have said there's no way in knowing how many seasons a show will run...right now we only have a green light for a pilot so it's not even guaranteed it'll be turned into a show right now. But if the pilot is well received and ratings are good then it will get a full 22 ep season order and run for as long as the ratings are good. I doubt they'll have content trouble with this show since there's so much material to draw from the comics and since it follows an entire organization if an actor wants out of the show they can easily be replaced. SHIELD could be another CSI or Law and Order if done correctly.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 11-17-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #771
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
I'm sure it will have the elements you're speaking of in it...I mean it's SHIELD no matter what they can't get around superheroes and action because it is literally SHIELD's job to deal with those issues...nothing else. It won't be like Homeland. That said as the others have said TV shows are made, or broken, on the strength of the characters. If they have good action and even a good plot but the characters are crap and their interaction with each other uninteresting the show will tank, there's no way around that. And trust me, there will be A LOT of humor and comedy in it...I expect it to be smart and sophisticated though not "gimmicky" like you suggest. Which actually keeps true to the comic-y stuff you want to see because Marvel comics don't really take themselves too seriously a lot of the time.

EDIT: Whoops didn't mean to double post

Quote:
Very true, but would either of you describe those shows to a friend as "heavy on action?" Can you honestly say you watch those shows for the action? There are a LOT of shows that feature an average of one or two fights per episode. Very doable, but the appeal of any fiction show remains in the character interaction and development.

No show can make it without drawing the audience into character interactions, at least, not until they learn to make their action very cheap. This is something Power Rangers has actually done over the years, by using non-union martial artists that can sort of act, filming overseas and reusing Japanese Footage. That's a show I would describe as heavy on action. It sure is light on everything else. And they still can only pull that off for 22 minutes at a time. No one can do that with real actors in the states for a full hour drama. That's why we have "action movies" but not "action shows."
Arrow and TWD are starting to push the limits. And don't underestimate how much money will be pored into this show..we're talking about something that has the potential to pull in upwards of 16-20 million views on a network like ABC with its pedigree, not to mention because it's a "nerdy" comic show the home media sales will be through the roof, along with all the other merchandising. Then there's syndication, where it should also be really successful thanks to the all ages accessibility the show will have. We're talking a certified money printing monster here. On top off all that they already have so many resources and stock CGI that they can use from the films that saving costs on effects won't be hard.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 11-17-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #772
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

I have a sinking feeling that this will be more contained than we think with less cameos. :/ but I'd looove to be wrong

Old 11-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #773
Mr. Dent
Banned User

They already said there won't be a lot of cameos if any. I really don't think we'll ever see any of the core Avengers in the show and I'd be surprised if Fury shows up.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #774
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
They already said there won't be a lot of cameos if any. I really don't think we'll ever see any of the core Avengers in the show and I'd be surprised if Fury shows up.
I don't expect to see cameos from "the big guns" of the big screen; but I *do* expect to see comic-book cameos from a lot of C-list and D-list heroes and villains from the Marvel Universe.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #775
Mr. Dent
Banned User

^ Oh yea definitely. They won't be cameos though they'll probably be villains of the week and ****.

Closed Thread