The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #726
Angamb
Banned User

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past

None has said Bryan wont use more than one original actor.

You just seem to have a closed mind regarding this movie, with all the respect.

This is an event movie, yes, but there will be creative liberties, so dont say "he wont do this" or "he will do that", because none of us know what they are doing with the script.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #727
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
It's very likely Bryan Singer would go with the off screen explanation for Cerebro.They aren't going to have time to have Magneto back at mansion
helping to build cerebro and then go to planning the assassination.

If they are keeping The Last Stand In Cannon with opening which totally Is conterdicted by First Class they have more contunity problems than having cerebro being built off screen at mansion.
Yes, it seems - as far as we say in discussions on here without knowing the script - that it's unlikely Magneto will be back at the mansion helping build Cerebro.

I'd rather they didn't even include Cerebro at the mansion in the 60s if that's the case.

Then maybe there is scope for Magneto to be at the mansion in the next film after DoFP.

I just think that if they want a 'shared cinematic universe' that the details of continuity are more important than ever. We can't go on with these contradictions and plotholes and poor thinking, and doing just one film at a time with no regard to any of the other films.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #728
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
You also need to recognize that just because Magneto is a villain doesn't mean that he will never assist Charles. Their relationship is far far more complicated than that.
This. Especially if they're dealing with giant, mutant hunting robots.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 11-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #729
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
Dude, neither of us has any idea what is going to happen. All we know is time-travel, sentinels, and the fact that this is a sequel to First Class, not just some comic adaptation. Everything else (and I do mean everything, including who assassinates who and even the assassination itself) is fair game. Don't be so restricted to what the comic has done. There's no reason to follow it verbatim just to please the fanboys (who, let's face it, will always find something to nitpick anyway).

I never said Magneto wasn't a villain at the end of First Class. He is. I just said that he's not Charles' archnemesis yet. It's not that simple. It has to grow to that, and we need to see it grow onscreen to be believable. Can you really see Raven blindly following orders to attack her old friends, her brother? Her brother who she left crippled on a beach in Cuba? I sure can't. Magneto may brush that off as a casualty of war but what we've seen of Raven, despite her growing confidence, tells me that she's going to be pretty remorseful and reluctant to face off with him or the boys. They need to develop that in this movie. Instant enemies is lazy storytelling, and while I don't have that much faith in Singer to not turn this into OldX-CastFest2014, I do hope he has the respect of the FC characters to not hastily shoehorn them into new roles just to suit the plot.
Even when they were enemies, they still showed a mutual respect for each other. In X3, they coincidentally see each other at Jean's house. Instead of attacking each other on sight, they choose to walk into the house together. Moments like that show they can be civil around each other, despite their years of conflict. Charles also visited Erik when he was in the plastic prison, so a friendship was still there even though they disagreed with each other.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #730
Angamb
Banned User

They arent enemies at all on the franchise. They are just friends with oposite opinions, and sometimes, their teams have to fight to protect what they believe.

This is not a simple good guy vs bad guy movie. X-men franchise is more complex that that. And thats why actors like James and Fassbender accepted their roles, because their characters are complex.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #731
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
They arent enemies at all on the franchise. They are just friends with oposite opinions, and sometimes, their teams have to fight to protect what they believe.

This is not a simple good guy vs bad guy movie. X-men franchise is more complex that that. And thats why actors like James and Fassbender accepted their roles, because their characters are complex.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #732
def28
Side-Kick

Magnetos def at the point where he should be at the end of FC to start some heavy ****. Prof X should know that people can suffer and views on mutants can go wrong if he succeeds. With all of the ways they have used him in the films so far, eventually I hope we see him go another route. I know it has to be set up properly before he takes over but I would really like to see him rule and rebuild his mutants only Genosha eventually.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #733
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post

They USED to be friends. You know, before Magneto became an extremist terrorist and all. Apart from that they are both mutants who are pariahs in society which give them the obligation to protect each other and the rest of their species. If they were "friends" Magneto wouldn't have tried to sacrifice him in X2 or put him in a coma in X1.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #734
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

i think everyone has to remember that this film is more a sequel to First class then an Xmen 4 so they are not going to bring patrick stewart in and lose James McAvoy, esp after the critical praise that first class received

and i cant see most the cast from first class being booted aside to bring in original characters from the original 3 films because i think Matthew Vaughn wanted his sequel to focus on the first class team and yeah he has left but he still had a hand in the script and is producer and didn't he actually say a while ago that his sequel would only have 1 new mutant in the mix and i think someone else said there would only be one new/old mutant also

hopefully everyone isnt thinking yay Xmen 4 with cameos from first class because chances are you will be wrong

Old 11-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #735
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
If they were "friends" Magneto wouldn't have tried to sacrifice him in X2 or put him in a coma in X1.
That was pretty messed up. He just left him there with Jason at the end of X2 as well, using both to target and kill humans.

Looking at those examples I can see why some dont think hes quite to his more sinister villain mode in the other films. Its hard to picture FC Mags purposely doing those things to hurt/use Charles. Though I guess he did use him to get what he wanted with Shaw. I still think hes ready to do battle and fully chose his side against humans, but it is a bit hard to see him do something like the things in X1 an 2 to Prof X after the ending to FC.

Last edited by def28; 11-18-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #736
conan69
Cimmerian

Yes, we were told possibly only one mutant could be added, but that was awhile ago.

Personally Im hoping that with Singer now in control, he will give Cyclops a chance to shine, since he had always been aware of the characters importance but had to compromise because of time constraints and wrapping up Wolverines arc.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #737
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Yes, it seems - as far as we say in discussions on here without knowing the script - that it's unlikely Magneto will be back at the mansion helping build Cerebro.
Yes I think that it is highly unlikely that Magneto will help Charles to rebuild Cerebro at the start of the movie, which would have to happen if Cerebro is used in this movie to somehow let Charles learn about the future.

As I've said before, Charles and Erik are definitely estranged by the end of FC, and as far as Erik is concerned at least Charles is out of his life for good. I just don't see him dropping by the mansion all of a sudden and offering to help out.

Quote:
I'd rather they didn't even include Cerebro at the mansion in the 60s if that's the case.
I'd think though that Cerebro would be the first thing Charles would set out to build at his mansion. He's got the financial means and the original designer, so there's nothing to stop him from doing it asap.

Oh except that the builders in the 60s probably took 10 x time to actually build anything as opposed to the original schedule, just like nowadays

Old 11-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #738
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan69 View Post
Yes, we were told possibly only one mutant could be added, but that was awhile ago.

Personally Im hoping that with Singer now in control, he will give Cyclops a chance to shine, since he had always been aware of the characters importance but had to compromise because of time constraints and wrapping up Wolverines arc.
Cyc isn't exactly a fan faveourite right now

Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #739
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Yes I think that it is highly unlikely that Magneto will help Charles to rebuild Cerebro at the start of the movie, which would have to happen if Cerebro is used in this movie to somehow let Charles learn about the future.

As I've said before, Charles and Erik are definitely estranged by the end of FC, and as far as Erik is concerned at least Charles is out of his life for good. I just don't see him dropping by the mansion all of a sudden and offering to help out.

I'd think though that Cerebro would be the first thing Charles would set out to build at his mansion. He's got the financial means and the original designer, so there's nothing to stop him from doing it asap.

Oh except that the builders in the 60s probably took 10 x time to actually build anything as opposed to the original schedule, just like nowadays
Well, on the one hand you are saying you think it unlikely for Magneto to be helping construct the new Cerebro, and then on the other hand that Cerebro would be the first thing Charles would set out to build.

If we are going to see the exact Cerebro that is in X1 and X2 - which Charles said Magneto helped him build - then it's going to go against continuity if Magneto isn't involved.

I thought the idea was for a shared universe with a coherent timeline and good continuity?

So what's your view on contradicting those plot elements of X1 and X2, where it was said Magneto helped build the machine and it was clear that Magneto knew exactly how it worked (and so did Mystique, as she knew how to sabotage it and what Erik was doing to it at the dam).

I really don't like it that these films are disregarding things within the franchise. It's jarring. And it just gives fuel to the Marvel worshippers who look for every opportunity to tear apart Fox's films while hailing Marvel Studios as the saviour of the superhero genre.

In my view, there are two ways round this:

1) The Cerebro at the mansion in the 60s setting is an early version that doesn't look like the big round room of X1 and X2, thus allowing us to think that Magneto helped construct that much later version.

2) The 1960s Cerebro at the mansion was partially built with Erik's help during the time period of First Class, when Erik was at the mansion and before they flew off to Cuba and the beach separation of Xavier and Magneto occurred. In the upcoming sequel, we could see Xavier, Beast (and whoever else - Forge?) finishing it off, or at least making mention of it being finished and unveiling it to the students.

For instance:

Charles (standing with Beast, speaking to Banshee and Havok): 'Well, this is the new Cerebro. Erik and I had started constructing it when he was here with us and now, finally, it's operational so we can start searching for new students.'

Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #740
Donut
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan69 View Post
Yes, we were told possibly only one mutant could be added, but that was awhile ago
That was also said while Vaughn was still around was it not ?

Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #741
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
I cant see most the cast from first class being booted aside to bring in original characters from the original 3 films because I think Matthew Vaughn wanted his sequel to focus on the first class team and yeah he has left but he still had a hand in the script and is producer and didn't he actually say a while ago that his sequel would only have 1 new mutant in the mix and i think someone else said there would only be one new/old mutant also
Uh...dude...that's kind of why he left.

"Had" is the operative word here...

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #742
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, on the one hand you are saying you think it unlikely for Magneto to be helping construct the new Cerebro, and then on the other hand that Cerebro would be the first thing Charles would set out to build.

If we are going to see the exact Cerebro that is in X1 and X2 - which Charles said Magneto helped him build - then it's going to go against continuity if Magneto isn't involved.

I thought the idea was for a shared universe with a coherent timeline and good continuity?

So what's your view on contradicting those plot elements of X1 and X2, where it was said Magneto helped build the machine and it was clear that Magneto knew exactly how it worked (and so did Mystique, as she knew how to sabotage it and what Erik was doing to it at the dam).

I really don't like it that these films are disregarding things within the franchise. It's jarring. And it just gives fuel to the Marvel worshippers who look for every opportunity to tear apart Fox's films while hailing Marvel Studios as the saviour of the superhero genre.

In my view, there are two ways round this:

1) The Cerebro at the mansion in the 60s setting is an early version that doesn't look like the big round room of X1 and X2, thus allowing us to think that Magneto helped construct that much later version.

2) The 1960s Cerebro at the mansion was partially built with Erik's help during the time period of First Class, when Erik was at the mansion and before they flew off to Cuba and the beach separation of Xavier and Magneto occurred. In the upcoming sequel, we could see Xavier, Beast (and whoever else - Forge?) finishing it off, or at least making mention of it being finished and unveiling it to the students.

For instance:

Charles (standing with Beast, speaking to Banshee and Havok): 'Well, this is the new Cerebro. Erik and I had started constructing it when he was here with us and now, finally, it's operational so we can start searching for new students.'
It will be 2.If we see In onscreen that's a different story

Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #743
conan69
Cimmerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
That was also said while Vaughn was still around was it not ?
It was, and things could change.

I believe it was also around the time we got the comments about JFK and Magneto being responsible for the magic bullet.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #744
Great Mind(s)
Broken

My idea is that Magneto helps Charles rebuild Cerebro in a temporary truce. Once it's completed, Xavier gets sent his future-mind through it and shares with Magneto his vision of the apocalypse. Then Magneto is determined to stop it by assassinating whomever not knowing the assassination is what causes it! Xavier knows, so he has to stop him!

Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #745
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Thing to remember matthew Vaughn wrote treatment the scrip Is based on.Just like Vaughn and Jane Goldman wrote First Class shooting script based on Bryan Singer's treatment with later polishing by Simon Kinberg.Here Kinberg wrote script based on Vaughn's treatment and now he Is reviising draft to suit Bryan's vision for film.So vaughn has some Influence with this film.Now he may not be a handson producer like Bryan was on first film.But,he will have some Involvement.Although the big difference with first Class was Bryan was already on project as producer before taking over as director.I am sure Bryan had Input on devolping the story.Come 2014 It will be Intresting to see If Vaughn gets sole story credit and rather If Bryan Is credited as producer or Executive Producer.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #746
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

People just need to accept that it's a continuity error.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #747
The Guard
Side-Kick

It's really not rocket science.

Xavier is talking about the fact that Magneto helped him build the particular big round Cerebro room that they're standing in during X-MEN when he says "Because he helped me build it". Ergo, Magneto helped Xavier build that particular room, which, in X-MEN and X2, is the only Cerebro anyone knew had existed at that point.

Xavier never says "Because he helped me design and create all versions of Cerebro and Beast, who we haven't even introduced yet, had nothing to do with it", so when another, earlier version of Cerebro shows up in FIRST CLASS, as long as nothing contradicts Magneto possibly building this big round room version that we see in X-MEN and X2...there has not been a continuity error.

Since we haven't seen Cerebro built into a big, round room in the mansion yet in the FIRST CLASS franchise, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that there's been any kind of continuity error regarding that statement and what's shown in FIRST CLASS.

There are actual continuity errors in the franchise...why this is the one people harp on is beyond me.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 11-18-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #748
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Just use the offscreen explanation.Matthew Vaughn's attitude towards first Class of
It being part prequel to Singer's films and one part reboot meant they would be continuity errors.I have little doudt that If Singer would have been able to direct First Class It
would fit better with other films,or at least to X-men and X2.I can still view first Class,X-men,and X2 pretty well together despite the errors.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #749
Donut
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Just use the offscreen explanation.Matthew Vaughn's attitude towards first Class of
It being part prequel to Singer's films and one part reboot meant they would be continuity errors.I have little doudt that If Singer would have been able to direct First Class It
would fit better with other films,or at least to X-men and X2.I can still view first Class,X-men,and X2 pretty well together despite the errors.
Whats funny is. All they have to do is remove any dates that pop up on the screen & maybe remove some dialogue here & there. Then everything is up in the air with how everything connects

Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #750
Manic X
Side-Kick

I think people just need to accept that the xfilms are going to have loose continuity.

Closed Thread