The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spidey-World

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #726
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ultimate Spider-Man animated series discussion thread - Part 1

Technically, they CAN make a Spectacular Spider-Man Season 3. And what I mean by that is something that takes place right after Season 2 timeline-wise. However, everything would be completely different. The art, voice acting, tone, style, soundtrack, etc. Everything would be pretty much different and the only thing it would have in common with TSSM is that it takes place in the same universe timeline wise. And even then, it wouldn't be an exact continuity but more of a loose continuity, and references to stuff that happened in seasons 1 & 2 would be very low. There is no point in making a "season 3" at this point because it would be a completely different show with a completely different feel so you might as well just make a new show. Unless Marvel magically gets Greg Weisman, all the writers, and all the voice actors back but the chances of that happening are less than 1% from a business and legal point of view. And even then, chances are that it will still feel like a completely different show. It's almost 100% pointless at this point to continue TSSM as a TV show (a follow-up comic like Gargoyles or a follow-up DTV like the DCAU Batman movies are different stories).

Personally, one side of me would prefer if Spidey takes a break from animation for a couple of years but another side of me also wishes for another great Spidey show not only because I'm a big fan of the character but also because a great Spidey show coming out right after Ultimate Spider-Man's cancellation (which will hopefully be after season 2) and topping USM in ratings would be the "ultimate victory" against USM. Nothing would add more salt to the injury and prove to Marvel how stupid it was of them to create this show but that.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #727
bigdaddy313
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Technically, they CAN make a Spectacular Spider-Man Season 3. And what I mean by that is something that takes place right after Season 2 timeline-wise. However, everything would be completely different. The art, voice acting, tone, style, soundtrack, etc. Everything would be pretty much different and the only thing it would have in common with TSSM is that it takes place in the same universe timeline wise. And even then, it wouldn't be an exact continuity but more of a loose continuity, and references to stuff that happened in seasons 1 & 2 would be very low. There is no point in making a "season 3" at this point because it would be a completely different show with a completely different feel so you might as well just make a new show. Unless Marvel magically gets Greg Weisman, all the writers, and all the voice actors back but the chances of that happening are less than 1% from a business and legal point of view. And even then, chances are that it will still feel like a completely different show. It's almost 100% pointless at this point to continue TSSM as a TV show (a follow-up comic like Gargoyles or a follow-up DTV like the DCAU Batman movies are different stories).

Personally, one side of me would prefer if Spidey takes a break from animation for a couple of years but another side of me also wishes for another great Spidey show not only because I'm a big fan of the character but also because a great Spidey show coming out right after Ultimate Spider-Man's cancellation (which will hopefully be after season 2) and topping USM in ratings would be the "ultimate victory" against USM. Nothing would add more salt to the injury and prove to Marvel how stupid it was of them to create this show but that.
Tell it like it is lol

Old 11-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #728
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

What I really like about this first season:
  • The art style: Some faces are used again and again, but the art in general looks really good
  • Norman & Octavius: Working behind the scenes trying to get Spider-Man powers to sell it as a weapon, that is a great idea imo, very loosely based on the Oz formula idea from the first arc in Ultimate Spider-Man and the second Goblin arc. Ock's failure and the lab destruction on him, Norman's impatience, Ock's fight vs Spider-Man, Ock stealing the Iron Man idea, and finally reaching to the Goblin arc in the end
  • Episodes and moments when Spider-Man operates with the team less
  • Iron-Spider: I honestly love the suit, wanted to see it animated in a show
  • Seeing Iron Fist & Luke Cage in animation, with a better looking costume for IF than his original suit used in A:EMH
  • Taskmaster, and Phil Coulson
  • Aunt May being hip

Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #729
Gwendolyn Stacy
Nerdette

This show is getting a dvd release. It's a two disc set, but with a run time of 132 minutes. I don't know how long each episode is, so I can't tell how many episodes are on here.
http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Ave...rds=Spider-Man
I don't why they left out the Ultimate part though. At first, I thought this might be a direct to video movie, until I looked at it again today to see what it was about. So is anybody going to get this?

Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #730
bigdaddy313
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolyn Stacy View Post
This show is getting a dvd release. It's a two disc set, but with a run time of 132 minutes. I don't know how long each episode is, so I can't tell how many episodes are on here.
I don't why they left out the Ultimate part though. At first, I thought this might be a direct to video movie, until I looked at it again today to see what it was about. So is anybody going to get this?
I am definitely not

Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #731
gzilla46
Side-Kick

I actually kind of like it. I heard it got scathing reviews that, in my opinion, were undeserved.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:18 AM   #732
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

This show is a Ultimate piece of crap.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #733
spidey99
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolyn Stacy View Post

Well of course I'm gonna pick it up. Have only watched about 4 of the episodes, so I'll have to watch them when the dvds or blurays come out. It's Spidey, and I'm a Spidey-aholic, so you know I love it. Plus I'm old, and I tend to enjoy most things in life. Not many more years to go, so don't complain about much. B-)

Keep On Thwipin'!!!
Sam

Old 11-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #734
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

I wonder if it'll have any extra features with Clark Gregg or Stan Lee.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #735
Dave McFly
Mysteriously Sexy

Been watching it on Netflix streaming, I really like it it has some (okay a LOT) goofy moments but all in all I really like it, not since the 90s Fox cartoon have I really enjoyed a Spider Man 'toon. Oh and some of the cast in is great Chi McBride as Fury is good, gotta love Stan Lee as the Janitor .

XBOXLIVE!: davemcfly85
PSN ID: davemcfly85
Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 AM   #736
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldGoblin View Post
This show is a Ultimate piece of crap.
I honestly think this show has the best version of Doc Ock in animation

Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #737
Mistah K88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
The problem with the Ock in this show is the act that even when he goes out on his own, at the end of the day he still is owned by Norman Osborn. I was so mad when in the Iron Octopus episode that he was found by Norman...and again when Norman whooped Ock after his betrayalinthe Goblin episode...perpetually being Norman's lap dog keeps USM Ock from being the best he could be.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #738
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
The problem with the Ock in this show is the act that even when he goes out on his own, at the end of the day he still is owned by Norman Osborn. I was so mad when in the Iron Octopus episode that he was found by Norman...and again when Norman whooped Ock after his betrayalinthe Goblin episode...perpetually being Norman's lap dog keeps USM Ock from being the best he could be.
That's why I hope Ock returns in season 2, and pays Norman back in spades

Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #739
spidey99
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
Been watching it on Netflix streaming, I really like it it has some (okay a LOT) goofy moments but all in all I really like it, not since the 90s Fox cartoon have I really enjoyed a Spider Man 'toon. Oh and some of the cast in is great Chi McBride as Fury is good, gotta love Stan Lee as the Janitor .
Hey, thanks for the heads up on the season 1 on Netflix! I just watched a few today, and it's not too bad. Hell, it's Spidey, I'm a Spidey-aholic, and I'd rather have this cartoon than no Spidey toon at all. The stories are not bad, a bit too much breaking the fourth wall, and anime drawing, but I'm getting use to it. At least now I'll be able to watch them all, since I never did catch many of them on TV (or the dvr)

Keep On Thwipin'!!!
Sam

Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #740
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
*cough*SSM Doc Ock*cough*

I can say the biggest difference between this show [YOUNG JUSTICE] and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #741
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
*cough*SSM Doc Ock*cough*
Check the Doc Ock appreciation thread in CBR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR me
He's scary looking Ozzie Osbourne Spider-Man was unable to catch until Iron Man helped him, and if not for Spidey's role Ock could have kicked Iron Man out of his pants. In the first fight episode Spider-Man was unable to beat him, and Ock escaped after Norman's attempt to kill him and Spidey's failed attempt to rescue him from drwoning
In the last arc Ock was able to show Norman he's boss, at least for a few minutes
I hope he makes an honorbale return and give Norman the well deserved pummeling
And Tom Kenny is awesome, I like him more as Iron Man, but he sounds -unexpectedly- awesome as Ock

TSSM version is awesome, clearly the most faithful to the classic Lee/Ditko & a touch of Romita. If not for Slott's work on the character I think I would like TSSM's Ock more than 616 Ock

Last edited by Spider-Aziz; 12-04-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #742
spidey99
Side-Kick

oK, been watching the Ultimate Spidey cartoon for a few days now on Netflix, and I can really tell ya, this show cracks me up sometimes. I wasn't too impressed on the first or second episode when it first aired, so I never really tried to keep up with it. But watching it this way, it's grown on me fast. I like it. They could turn down the 3rd wall and anime looking things, but there's been some great things on it, that have cracked me up. So I'm finally getting into it. I'll pick up the DVD or Blu-Ray set when it comes out. Now when does the Action figures come out for this cartoon? B-)

Old 12-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #743
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

I haven't seen any action figures but they do have GrabZags...unfortunately, the selection is very poor...no Coulson or White Tiger.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #744
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey99 View Post
oK, been watching the Ultimate Spidey cartoon for a few days now on Netflix, and I can really tell ya, this show cracks me up sometimes. I wasn't too impressed on the first or second episode when it first aired, so I never really tried to keep up with it. But watching it this way, it's grown on me fast. I like it. They could turn down the 3rd wall and anime looking things, but there's been some great things on it, that have cracked me up. So I'm finally getting into it. I'll pick up the DVD or Blu-Ray set when it comes out. Now when does the Action figures come out for this cartoon? B-)
The show is really very funny. I watch it with my 6 year-old and laugh at things that he often misses. Great action, great stories, funny dialogue. It's more fun than the Spidey show from the 90's and I like the overall show slightly more than Spectacular Spider-Man.

Did I mention all the great hero and villain cameos?!

Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #745
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

It was just put on netflix, and I started watching the pilot. I couldn't make past 5 minutes of that crap.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #746
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
It was just put on netflix, and I started watching the pilot. I couldn't make past 5 minutes of that crap.

That's unfortunate. It's definitely not for everyone. As just a Spider-Man fan in general, I like any animated iteration I can get. Seeing one of my favorite characters on screen, in action, is a treat. The MTV version was a little blah but I still enjoyed it because it was Spidey.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #747
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

I actually liked the MTV series more than Ultimate Spider-Man. At least it was more mature, and I liked how it served as an "alternate sequel" to the 2002 film. The stories weren't that interesting, there were a lot of continuity errors, and most of the villains were made up for the show. However, I really loved the animation, Neil Patrick Harris was perfect as the voice of Peter Parker, and I feel that this series had so much potential. Too bad it was cancelled on a cliffhanger.

When you have the 1994 Animated series, Spectacular Spider-Man, the 1967 series, etc., and then you look at Ultimate Spider-Man, I feel like something went wrong. You would think that Marvel/Disney would make a show that is better than what Sony could do, but no. They "Disney-fied" him, and ruined his character. They make him look stupid, and too weak to be a hero. Yes, he's a kid, but he's also mature. Compare his portrayal to how he was in Spectacular Spider-Man.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 12-14-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #748
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

I've been watching the first season on Netflix, it's better than I thought it would be. I actually like how it opens up Spidey's world a bit more. I wouldn't mind if it sticks around for a while.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #749
NJCaliboi
Side-Kick

I'm not the hugest Spider-man fan in general, but he's part of my childhood so for nostalgia's sake I always check out new spidey "stuff". Hearing all the hate about this show I was fully prepared to jump on board, but to my surprise I rather enjoyed the show.

Over the last three days I watched the entire series on NetFlix and YES- it's very kid friendly, and YES- it's a bit heavy on the jokes, but it's taping into something that captures the imagination.

The upside for this show is HUGE but even if it continues on as is there is still lots to enjoy. I'm looking forward to season 2 and I'm optimistic that the story-telling will improve and be smarter

Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #750
tdeverea
Side-Kick

I think certain fans just get stuck in a mindset of how their favorite characters should be portayed. I LOVE the show because it's Spidey and the action/stories are up to par. It's heavy on the jokes but it's something I can look beyond if I can get Hulk/Iron Man/Captain America/Thor/Wolverine team-ups on TOP of seeing Luke Cage and Iron Fist every episode. And the Norman Osborn arc was undeniably cool.

Plus it's something fun I can watch with my kid. No downsides!

Closed Thread