The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #751
Mulholland-Jr
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
It's really not rocket science.

Xavier is talking about the fact that Magneto helped him build the particular big round Cerebro room that they're standing in during X-MEN when he says "Because he helped me build it". Ergo, Magneto helped Xavier build that particular room, which, in X-MEN and X2, is the only Cerebro anyone knew had existed at that point.
No...

Quote:
WOLVERINE: So why can't you use it (Cerebro) to find Magneto?
CHARLES: I've been trying, but he's found some way to shield himself from it. (Cerebro)
WOLVERINE: How would he know how to do that?
CHARLES: Because he helped me build it. (Cerebro)

Old 11-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #752
JP
Smelly

Yes, but First Class doesn't contradict that at all since in First Class it was Beast (not Xavier or Magneto) who built a prototype of Cerebro that was inevitably DESTROYED by Riptide.

But Guard is right, he's referring to that particular Cerebro in the round metal room. Hence Magneto being able to move the plates around in X2...

Old 11-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #753
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Well, let's see what is done with Cerebro in DoFP.

While the prototype in First Class doesn't contradict anything, a new one at the mansion in the 1960s would have to be line with my earlier suggestions a few posts above.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #754
Mulholland-Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Yes, but First Class doesn't contradict that at all since in First Class it was Beast (not Xavier or Magneto) who built a prototype of Cerebro that was inevitably DESTROYED by Riptide.

But Guard is right, he's referring to that particular Cerebro in the round metal room. Hence Magneto being able to move the plates around in X2...
I never said it contradicted it by Beast building it. It's not going to make any sense if Magneto comes back and helps him build another Cerebro though.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #755
JP
Smelly

Until you know what happens in the sequel that's a premature assessment to make.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #756
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
It's not going to make any sense if Magneto comes back and helps him build another Cerebro though.
If they do it right, of course it will. At no point has their relationship been portrayed as so black and white that it would it seem out of place if Erik were to help Charles.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #757
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I never said it contradicted it by Beast building it. It's not going to make any sense if Magneto comes back and helps him build another Cerebro though.
It could be that Erik already helped Charles build a new Cerebro while he was at the mansion in First Class, before they flew off to Cuba.

Otherwise, something happens that means Xavier and Magneto have to work together and desperately need Cerebro to track a mutant.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #758
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
Not really. I mean, Magneto moved those plates around in X2 as if he knew exactly how to change its functions. So maybe something forces him in a last ditch effort against another foe to finish a Cerebro 2.0 to stop it?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #759
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I already suggested they will go with the offscreen during first Class Magneto helped
Xavier build a new Cerebro at mansion before going to Cuba explanation.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #760
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I already suggested they will go with the offscreen during first Class Magneto helped
Xavier build a new Cerebro at mansion before going to Cuba explanation.
It was me who suggested that. But it can't have been operational before they went to Cuba or they would have used it to find Shaw.

If we are going with this explanation, then the machine was not completed at that point and it was only later that Xavier and Hank finished it.

We don't even know yet if Cerebro will feature in the story. But Charles would want one there if he is to recruit other mutants to his school.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #761
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I have suggested In past them doing the offscreen Xavier and Magneto built Cerebro
In mansion during first Class.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #762
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I always take it that they built it into the mansion around the time they were recuting Jean Grey ect

Old 11-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #763
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
So what's your view on contradicting those plot elements of X1 and X2, where it was said Magneto helped build the machine and it was clear that Magneto knew exactly how it worked (and so did Mystique, as she knew how to sabotage it and what Erik was doing to it at the dam).
Well... there are so many unfixable discrepancies between First Class and the original trilogy that one more thing is not going to make a difference. Good continuity at this point is not an option. If they are in fact trying to explicitly connect FC with X1-X3, the end result will be a mess in any case, so I can't get too bothered about who built Cerebro when there's a howler like Charles walking upright in the X3 flashback.

IMO the most sensible thing would be to just keep going with the idea of FC as a loose prequel and its own thing (which I think is possible if they go with the alternate future timeline rather than post-X3 future in DoFP. As far as I'm aware no one actually involved in the project said yet that DoFP is also a sequel to X3 or X2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
In my view, there are two ways round this:

1) The Cerebro at the mansion in the 60s setting is an early version that doesn't look like the big round room of X1 and X2, thus allowing us to think that Magneto helped construct that much later version.

2) The 1960s Cerebro at the mansion was partially built with Erik's help during the time period of First Class, when Erik was at the mansion and before they flew off to Cuba and the beach separation of Xavier and Magneto occurred. In the upcoming sequel, we could see Xavier, Beast (and whoever else - Forge?) finishing it off, or at least making mention of it being finished and unveiling it to the students.
I don't think that Charles and Erik would have had time to start working on Cerebro in First Class. If I remember right they only had a week at the mansion and all of their energies seem to have gone into the training before the showdown with Shaw. That was the absolute priority. Squeezing in something as time-consuming and huge as Cerebro and dividing the attention and energy doesn't make sense to me. Charles building Cerebro as soon as he decides on the school does, and it's just such an important aspect of his powers I'd find it weird if it wasn't in the movie at all.

Quote:
WOLVERINE: So why can't you use it (Cerebro) to find Magneto?
CHARLES: I've been trying, but he's found some way to shield himself from it. (Cerebro)
WOLVERINE: How would he know how to do that?
CHARLES: Because he helped me build it. (Cerebro)
Speaking of discrepancies, this whole exchange actually doesn't make much sense after FC. One, Charles would know exactly why he can't find Magneto because Magneto only had that helmet for like 40 years, so Charles not knowing how Magneto can shield himself does not make sense. Two, he seems to imply here that Magneto is able to shield himself from Cerebro because he knows how it works and would therefore be able to find some way to block it because of this insider knowledge. When in fact Magneto simply inherited the helmet from someone else and his knowledge or lack of knowledge of Cerebro had absolutely nothing to do with it.

You could of course try and say something like, oh Charles just chose to hide the truth from Logan (for what purpose?), but really it's just another indication of how FC was only meant to connect loosely with the trilogy.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #764
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Well... there are so many unfixable discrepancies between First Class and the original trilogy that one more thing is not going to make a difference. Good continuity at this point is not an option. If they are in fact trying to explicitly connect FC with X1-X3, the end result will be a mess in any case, so I can't get too bothered about who built Cerebro when there's a howler like Charles walking upright in the X3 flashback.

IMO the most sensible thing would be to just keep going with the idea of FC as a loose prequel and its own thing (which I think is possible if they go with the alternate future timeline rather than post-X3 future in DoFP. As far as I'm aware no one actually involved in the project said yet that DoFP is also a sequel to X3 or X2).

I don't think that Charles and Erik would have had time to start working on Cerebro in First Class. If I remember right they only had a week at the mansion and all of their energies seem to have gone into the training before the showdown with Shaw. That was the absolute priority. Squeezing in something as time-consuming and huge as Cerebro and dividing the attention and energy doesn't make sense to me. Charles building Cerebro as soon as he decides on the school does, and it's just such an important aspect of his powers I'd find it weird if it wasn't in the movie at all.

Speaking of discrepancies, this whole exchange actually doesn't make much sense after FC. One, Charles would know exactly why he can't find Magneto because Magneto only had that helmet for like 40 years, so Charles not knowing how Magneto can shield himself does not make sense. Two, he seems to imply here that Magneto is able to shield himself from Cerebro because he knows how it works and would therefore be able to find some way to block it because of this insider knowledge. When in fact Magneto simply inherited the helmet from someone else and his knowledge or lack of knowledge of Cerebro had absolutely nothing to do with it.

You could of course try and say something like, oh Charles just chose to hide the truth from Logan (for what purpose?), but really it's just another indication of how FC was only meant to connect loosely with the trilogy.
I agreee it's seeming more and more likely we can only expect loose continuity with the existing X-Men films. That's a great pity if they are trying to build a shared universe.

I only hope that the films now being made - such as the First Class franchise - have some internal continuity and consistency. But even that's looking unlikely with different writers and directors involved.

Why don't they sit down and map out the franchise, deciding which films, stories and characters they want to do? It would seem a no-brainer.

As it is, the existing vague thinking just gives more and more fuel to the Marvel Studios fanatics so they can spread their poison across the internet. There were online campaigns warning people not to see X-Men: First Class, with fanboys boasting how they had persuaded family, friends and co-workers not to see the film, and I don't see things improving if there aren't greater efforts at proper continuity, at least from this point onwards.

Last edited by X-Maniac; 11-19-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #765
Angamb
Banned User

Im really sure Mark Millar and Bryan will take care of this franchise since now.

Im not worried about that anymore, with them on board and Fox seeming more focused than ever.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #766
Mulholland-Jr

Plus, if it's established that Beast built the first Cerebro, then why would Charles even need Erik's help? Why even make a Cerebro that would have to rely on Erik helping?

Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #767
JP
Smelly

Well, it's hard to imagine how long it would take to build that massive round room of metal plates. That alone would require Magneto's help if they were desperate for time.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #768
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Well, it's hard to imagine how long it would take to build that massive round room of metal plates. That alone would require Magneto's help if they were desperate for time.
If that's the version of Cerebro we are getting back in the 60s, it would seem logical that Magneto helped construct it.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #769
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I rather doubt that they would go from the first 60s Cerebro model that we've seen in First Class straight to the massive round room. Surely a jump in technology couldn't be this drastic.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #770
The Guard
Side-Kick

Exactly.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 11-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #771
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

If push comes to shove and they can't find a logical way of Xavier and Magneto building Cerebro together, I'd rather they don't force it. It could go the way of "When I was 17, I met a young man called Erik Lensherr..." and all the slight inconsistencies from the other films.

I can't believe I'm suggesting them to take Grant Morrison's lead from New X-men, but with all the slight inconsistencies from the 5 films, they're better off using a loose continuity and worry about making a great movie, first and foremost.

Besides Xavier has other TK-powered mutants in the mansion that would be very useful in building that "big round room." Magneto knowing how to rearrange the plates could be stemmed from the blueprints and whatever else info Mystique got/printed from Lady Deathstrike's computer.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #772
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

How about they just have Xavier built it with whoever, and Magneto lends a hand at some point to push the process forward to help out Xavier, and to make it so Xavier can't locate Magneto.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #773
echostation
Banned User

who is the DOP of the film? That is critical... I always felt the X-men films had such a limited close up scope, no epic grandeur to them like The Nolan trilogy of Batman or Avengers.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #774
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Nolan's trilogy has no epic grandeur other than a few establishing shots total.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #775
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
who is the DOP of the film? That is critical... I always felt the X-men films had such a limited close up scope, no epic grandeur to them like The Nolan trilogy of Batman or Avengers.
Thomas Siegel. I believe that's how you spell his name. It's the same DOP Singer has always used

Closed Thread