The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #326
Havok83
Side-Kick

Default Re: X-Men - Part 4

ANX and UXM could end up being two of the best books in Marvel and people will still hate on it regardless bc Bendis' name is on the front

Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #327
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

I think his popularity began to wane right after Secret Invasion.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #328
Lord
All Mighty

Bendis's still very popular, IGN even featured his run on Avengers in their "The 25 Greatest Avengers Stories" article

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #329
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
ANX and UXM could end up being two of the best books in Marvel and people will still hate on it regardless bc Bendis' name is on the front
God, stop being such an apologist.

I don't see any legions of people criticizing Bendis for Ultimate Comics Spider-Man. Do you know why? Because its actually good! I can admit that quite easily, despite your claims of bias.

The reason why people criticize Bendis for Avengers and ANX is because they're written badly. Not because of some half baked vendetta.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #330
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I'm not saying Bendis is the best writer at Marvel or anything, I'm just saying that he's not as bad as people claim and I think he'll do a fine job on All New and Uncanny X-Men.

As far as his decompression goes, I think he's gotten better. Back when he used to write 6 issues per arc no matter what, it got old. He's moved away from that a bit though. Most of his stories seem to be 4 issues now (which is a good fit for him), though he does drag it out occassionally. The recent Norman Osborn story is an example of that. He's even written several done-in-one stories, such as Luke and Jessica's 1st date and most of the event tie-ins. Heck, his AvX tie-ins (in New Avengers) was some of the best stories to come out of that event.

His lack of decompression is part of the reason why I think New Avengers vol. 2 was some of his best work.
No, he's not as bad as people claim. He can churn out extremely good stories here and there.

But, personally, as I see Marvel's base of influence shifting to guys who continuously write extremely faced paced, exciting, inventive and exciting stories, I grow more tired of Bendis' meandering. I'd much prefer to have Aaron or Humphries or Remender leading the X-Men universe.
Quote:
Hah! That's great.

Though I admit to struggling with coming up with examples of his doing this. The Scarlet Witch is the only thing I can think of. Most everything else is typically wrapped up within a year or two of being introduced. The Ultron War maybe.
There was a ton of stuff with his Avengers books. Jessica Drew's whole storyline, the whole Dark Avengers period, Sentry, etc.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #331
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
God, stop being such an apologist.

I don't see any legions of people criticizing Bendis for Ultimate Comics Spider-Man. Do you know why? Because its actually good! I can admit that quite easily, despite your claims of bias.

The reason why people criticize Bendis for Avengers and ANX is because they're written badly. Not because of some half baked vendetta.
People were criticizing and slamming Bendis' X-men months ago before it was even officially announced he would be taking over. So yeah there is a bias bc the complaints and whining started when the original rumor popped up with people not wanting to give it a chance

Old 11-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #332
Anubis
Sup?

I'm not whining, I don't give a s**t about the X-Men anyway. I hope he reams em.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #333
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

It's also annoying when people want it to fail, and read the issues looking for things to criticize. I didn't think ANXM was perfect, but it was far far far from horrible. And that's with Marvel releasing over half the issue in previews.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #334
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Bendis's still very popular, IGN even featured his run on Avengers in their "The 25 Greatest Avengers Stories" article
I discount most of anything IGN does to begin with.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #335
Anubis
Sup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
It's also annoying when people want it to fail, and read the issues looking for things to criticize. I didn't think ANXM was perfect, but it was far far far from horrible. And that's with Marvel releasing over half the issue in previews.

Don't worry, if it really, really sucks, it will sell top ten for 10 years.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #336
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
There was a ton of stuff with his Avengers books. Jessica Drew's whole storyline, the whole Dark Avengers period, Sentry, etc.
I don't know. The initial Jessica Drew mystery (Hydra) was revealed after a year and concluded within the 2 year mark. That's not too bad. Then the Skrull plot was all within a year's time.

Sentry wasn't really a dragged out plot I don't think, nor were the Dark Avengers. We'll have to disagree on that one entirely.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 11-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #337
Havok83
Side-Kick

Dark Avengers was really good. Really dug that concept and the book

Old 11-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #338
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
We live in a comic book industry where Bendis can't even get Spider-Woman and Moon Knight to sell. Now you might say that Bendis had an uphill climb due to the fact that they're not widespread characters but keep in mind that Geoff Johns got Aquaman and Booster Gold to sell. Matt Fraction is getting Hawkeye to sell. Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire are getting Swamp Thing and Animal Man to sell.

It's pretty clear that Bendis' name has diminished quite a bit over the past couple of years.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #339
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
We live in a comic book industry where Bendis can't even get Spider-Woman and Moon Knight to sell. Now you might say that Bendis had an uphill climb due to the fact that they're not widespread characters but keep in mind that Geoff Johns got Aquaman and Booster Gold to sell. Matt Fraction is getting Hawkeye to sell. Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire are getting Swamp Thing and Animal Man to sell.

It's pretty clear that Bendis' name has diminished quite a bit over the past couple of years.
And man do I love me some Moon Knight

Old 11-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #340
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

That Hawkeye book is selling well?

Old 11-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #341
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
That Hawkeye book is selling well?
I think last I saw it was right around the middle of the top 100. Not impressive numbers but not near cancellation range yet. Probably only get 24 issues max, which were more than MK and SW got.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #342
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Shame. It's a pretty terrible series.

But Thor's good again, so I don't really care what else is happening in the realm of comicdom right now.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #343
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I only read the first issue of Hawkeye, and it would have been decent if not for how he overwrote one of the characters. "Bro" was in there about 20 times and got annoying. I've skimmed the next issue or two and they look decent but I can't afford another title. I've considered buying it though because I like Kate Bishop. Hawkeye, however, I can take or leave. Not a good mindset going into a title all about them. Then again, I was the same with Iron Fist going into Immortal Iron Fist. Then again... this is a different Fraction.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 11-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #344
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwip! View Post
And man do I love me some Moon Knight
Moonknight is one of my top characters and I picked up the first issue against my reservations about Bendis...I didnt pick up the second one.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #345
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

I thought the "bro" gag was kind of funny, myself. But I read until #2 when Clint and Kate happily, cavalierly crippled a bunch of guys. That pretty much told me Fraction doesn't understand the characters at all and is just writing... I don't know, basically himself, maybe--any 20-something underachiever, really--and calling him Hawkeye.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #346
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Moonknight is one of my top characters and I picked up the first issue against my reservations about Bendis...I didnt pick up the second one.
I only read up to maybe 8 or 9 but I enjoyed what I'd read up to that point. Agan, I'm not a huge Moon Knight fan and know little of him outside of guest appearances, so that probably helped. The story itself was good though.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 11-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #347
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Hawkeye is making bank in digital downloads and last time I checked it's still at around 35k.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #348
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

I'm sure Fraction will bail on it before it hits 24 issues.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #349
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

So, if you are Beast, and you have access to time travel, instead of going back in time to get the original teenage X-Men, why not go back in time and have a sit-down with the Avengers and X-Men and tell them what is about to go down, since you are the one man both teams would trust?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #350
OutcryX
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
So, if you are Beast, and you have access to time travel, instead of going back in time to get the original teenage X-Men, why not go back in time and have a sit-down with the Avengers and X-Men and tell them what is about to go down, since you are the one man both teams would trust?
Stop making sense! That doesn't sell teh comix!

MARVEL COMICS
White-washing the X-Men one minority at a time

-Manic
Closed Thread