The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Kazuki
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 126
Default Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

I love this movie, but thereīs something that bothers me a little bit, wich is the lack of impact in Batmanīs appearences. And when i mean by this is that i donīt feel that "BOOM" that i felt, for example, in Bat 89 during the museum scene, when Batman arrives and saves vicky. I think the cinematography in that shot and the music is just much more epic than any appearence in TDKR. Anyone else agrees?


And for the record, i prefer TDKR much more than Bat 89. But iīs just this big little thing that i think they didnīt quite get it right.

Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Greens
Dude
 
Greens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hell! Nah, I wish.
Posts: 2,711
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Batman's first appearance in TDKR definitely has that boom.

__________________
WHERE'S THE *T*RIGGER?!
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,292
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Actually, in my opinion, the scene from the police chase after Bane attacks the stock market is one of the best scenes with Batman from the trilogy. You see, in the tunnels, the lights going off, and then the Bat-pod. It was sensational. And when he arrives to stop one of the goons to retrieve the wireless device. It is just Zimmer score and Batman sliding from one point to another like a wraith.

Also, this:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:



__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
kvz5
HBIC
 
kvz5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 20,513
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Hmmm... I disagree. While I was disappointed that there were few Batman scenes, I personally thought that each of his appearances had lots of weight and impact. Lots of great Batman moments. IMO.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,838
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

For me, it is Batman's impact that makes the lack of Batman scenes work in TDKR.

The stock exchange scene was all kinds of awesome, but the scene really becomes something else once Batman shows up in the tunnels. Then when he disappears and reappears from the side of the screen with the Bat-flapping motif, was one of the most bad ass Batman moments from the trilogy. The entire Batman returns scene is extremely memorable, IMO.

Other great Batman moments were:

- Batman jumping off the ledge to assist Catwoman in combat.
- Batman fighting from the shadows leading up to the first Bane fight.
- Batman returning on Ice through the smoke.
- Batman swooping down on the mercs and saving Blake.
- Batman getting the upper hand on Bane during their second fight then kicking him through the door.
- "Tell me where the trigger is, then you have my permission to die."
- "A hero can be anyone..."
- "War."
- "The mask isn't for you. It's to protect the people you care about."
- "So that's what that feels like?"

I added various quotes in there for good measure.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
Kazuki
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 126
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

I agree with the stock scene. It has that boom. But, for example, when Batman arrives to save Selina and when he arrives to save Blake, although the scene concept is similar to the museum scene from 89, i donīt think it is as well executed.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Victarion
Cut
 
Victarion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,081
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

There is one scene that really didn't have any oomph to it: Batman appearing on the frozen river after Gordon lit the flare. However the rest of his scenes were great. Either improvements from his first appearance at the docks in Begins or on par with it.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Trevorrow
But with all this talk of filmmakers “ruining our childhood”, we forget that right now is someone else’s childhood. This is their time.
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
vanson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 902
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

wasnt that thing with the 2 cops in the police car exactly from the comics ?

where the one goes like "you're in for a show tonight son"

vanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,838
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanson View Post
wasnt that thing with the 2 cops in the police car exactly from the comics ?

where the one goes like "you're in for a show tonight son"
Yeah, lifted straight from The Dark Knight Returns.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,158
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
Hmmm... I disagree. While I was disappointed that there were few Batman scenes, I personally thought that each of his appearances had lots of weight and impact. Lots of great Batman moments. IMO.
Indeed. For example using his bat darts with precision, lighting up the fire logo (visually cool moment, try and not think about the realities of setting it up) and saving Blake is a good section. And of course getting in The Bat to blow open the blocked entrance straight after.

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,377
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Two of my favorite scenes in the movie involve Batman;

- His big return after 8 years. Taking out Bane's men on the motorcycles, and that epic Police car chase. One thing I wanted to see in TDKR was a scene where Batman is shown to be hunted by a platoon of Cops for Harvey Dent's murder ("Who do you want to catch, some bank robber or the son of a b&tch who killed Harvey Dent?"). Nolan delivered the goods in this scene. That image of the brigade of Cops cars with the red and blue flashing sirens bearing down after the Bat-Pod was beautiful.

- Bane vs Batman in the sewers. Everything in this scene is perfection. It's the Joker interrogation room scene of TDKR in terms of quality and classic hero vs villain confrontation.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,158
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Bane vs Batman in the sewers. Everything in this scene is perfection. It's the Joker interrogation room scene of TDKR in terms of quality and classic hero vs villain confrontation.
It is. The scene delivered what I wanted from it.

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #13
Just_Human
Side-Kick
 
Just_Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,266
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Th
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Two of my favorite scenes in the movie involve Batman;

- His big return after 8 years. Taking out Bane's men on the motorcycles, and that epic Police car chase. One thing I wanted to see in TDKR was a scene where Batman is shown to be hunted by a platoon of Cops for Harvey Dent's murder ("Who do you want to catch, some bank robber or the son of a b&tch who killed Harvey Dent?"). Nolan delivered the goods in this scene. That image of the brigade of Cops cars with the red and blue flashing sirens bearing down after the Bat-Pod was beautiful.

- Bane vs Batman in the sewers. Everything in this scene is perfection. It's the Joker interrogation room scene of TDKR in terms of quality and classic hero vs villain confrontation.
those 2 scenes were fantastic

- the 1st one was so TRK Returnsesque; nad the score was perfect, especially when Batman picks up the tablet, ans realizes that they still hate him despite the fact that he is the good guy; the music during that specific moment was so representative of this tragicality


- ah the sewer fight; it was so amazing to finally to get to see it in the theater after all those trailers and all the speculation ; just wow .....
and the fact that there was no score (great decision, much like the TDK chase scene) made it even more awesome
And I didnt see the " I will break you" and back breaking coming

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #14
Brother Jack
Onion Knight
 
Brother Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Future
Posts: 6,185
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

I actually think the relative lack of screentime helped the character in a way. All of Batman's scenes were great and had a certain impact because he wasn't around as much. It helps with the mythic aura Batman had, which plays with the legend theme that comes to full fruition in the film.

__________________
O Captain! My Captain! Rise up and hear the bells.
Rise up, for you the flag is flung, for you the bugle trills.
For you bouquets and ribbon'd wreaths, for you the shores a-crowding.
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #15
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer
 
Quasimod0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,049
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Batman had some great scenes. Too bad there werent enough of em

__________________
Movies I have seen this year:
Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #16
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,667
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Every scene Batman was in, was beyond epic for me. Impact? They had tons of it.

His first appearance was perfection. My heart was racing the whole time. Not only was some of it straight out of Dark Knight Returns but that whole scene (with some tweaks) could have been the opening of the movie. Before the Bane-Plane prologue was announced i was sure TDKR would open with an epic chase like that. We got it anyway with his first appearance back as the Batman, and it was everything i hoped it would be.

Just Human, i was freaking out in the cinema when Bane said "And then i will break you". Then the backbreak. My goodness! Straight out of Knightfall. And people say Nolans trilogy goes against the comics too much. It's the closest the Batman film franchise has ever gotten to the bloody comics!

So ya, HUGE impact for Batmans entrances.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:07 AM   #17
Deserana
2005/2008/2012
 
Deserana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,923
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Batman had more than enough screentime for the story that was being told IMO. Though it would have been really cool to see him give orders in the final battle rather than instructing Blake and Selina but hey ho.

The Batman returns at the stock exchange was stunning especially the one leg over Bane's goon with the motif in the back ground.

I think the ice scene would have had more impact if Gordon through the flare into the the ice to the bat signal THEN have Batman arrive from the smoke. But it was bad ass enough as it was.

__________________
The above is MY OPINION and ONLY my opinion please do not think of it as fact or a statement of fact it is merely what I feel.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Deserana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #18
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,158
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
I actually think the relative lack of screentime helped the character in a way. All of Batman's scenes were great and had a certain impact because he wasn't around as much. It helps with the mythic aura Batman had, which plays with the legend theme that comes to full fruition in the film.
It did have an affect on things. Each time you see him, because of his age and inactivity, you wonder is he up to it? And then of course the beating by Bane elevates that thought. When he succeeds it feels great, like overpowering Bane's fist, damaging his mask and kicking him through the doors. He does get rescued by Catwoman, bringing him back to Earth, but the bomb disposal afterwards is one of the best displays of heroism out there.

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #19
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun
 
Brain Damage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,861
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
There is one scene that really didn't have any oomph to it: Batman appearing on the frozen river after Gordon lit the flare. However the rest of his scenes were great. Either improvements from his first appearance at the docks in Begins or on par with it.
I agree, I really wish they shot this in a more suspenseful way rather than just having him appear. But other than that, as everyone else has said, there are some fantastic Batman moments in this.

__________________
WHO APPOINTED THE BATMAN?

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #20
Ant-LOX
Bathman
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 286
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

It was magic every time he came on screen.

__________________
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES - 10 TIMES
Ant-LOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #21
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,158
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

I agree Batman's first appearance had lots of great moments. Him blacking out the lights - just how he likes things, shadowy and controlled. Driving past at speed and snatching a bike rider clean off his seat - then using the EMP gun to stop another bike. Even though the young cop shoots the device, the glare Batman gives clearly says back off, and the cop does. The power of reputation and presence.

Later on using the batpod as a barrier to knock off a rider and punch him in the helmet. Really like the Molossus cue when Bats is holding onto the tablet. However, Batman charging hordes of oncoming police cars, ducking into an alley seemingly cornered and emerging in the Bat takes the cake for me. Pure Batman.

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #22
batfreakforever
A real fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 331
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

It didnt worry me because Bruce wayne(batman) is my favorite character but a mate didnt give a crap about Bruce and his story, he just wants to see Batman. So each to their own really.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #23
batfreakforever
A real fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 331
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Its the same as Predators, my mate sat there for the first 40+ mins complaining about that the predator hasnt been on screen yet because he dont give a crap about the human characters he is just there to watch the predator, same as batman.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #24
Deserana
2005/2008/2012
 
Deserana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,923
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
Its the same as Predators, my mate sat there for the first 40+ mins complaining about that the predator hasnt been on screen yet because he dont give a crap about the human characters he is just there to watch the predator, same as batman.
As much as certain posters on here will disagree *ahem*fudgie*ahem* I never once felt like The Dark Knight Rises was made for a general audience. I think it was made purely for the fans and to end Bruce's story. Nolan didn't throw in any unecassary Batman moments for the general audience. He could easily have had Batman return in the first 5 minutes of the film or have random big fights with the prisoners inside the prison. The lack of Batman scenes were there simply because there was no need for a Batman scene.

Unlike the scene in TDK where Batman fights a bunch of people in a club to get to Maroni which I felt was there purely for the people wo wanted to see some Batman as we all know he could have gotten to Maroni without the punch up.

__________________
The above is MY OPINION and ONLY my opinion please do not think of it as fact or a statement of fact it is merely what I feel.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.


Last edited by Deserana; 11-19-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Deserana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #25
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,667
Default Re: Lack of impact in Batmanīs appearence scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
Its the same as Predators, my mate sat there for the first 40+ mins complaining about that the predator hasnt been on screen yet because he dont give a crap about the human characters he is just there to watch the predator, same as batman.
Your friend sounds childish. Like when a kid doesn't care for the story, they just want the superhero and the action.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.