The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Is it time to legalize pot?
Yes 177 74.37%
No 48 20.17%
I don't know 13 5.46%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #551
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

How am I a troll? I'm disagreeing with you?! I'm also a she

Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #552
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I'm also a she
Women? On MY internets?

Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #553
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
Women? On MY internets?

But Hawkingbird, here's the real issue. You're not looking at the facts. It's ok to disagree if it's your personal belief, I for one will respect that. There are in fact a lot of people who've posted in this thread who don't smoke cannabis and don't encourage such behavior, but if you look at the concrete, scientific facts of cannabis toxicity (next to none for the most part, THC actually retards cancer cells), addiction (again, next to none, here I will refer you to a NY Times article from 1994 on the subject: http://www.tfy.drugsense.org/tfy/addictvn.htm) and economic benefits of industrial hemp, you'll see that there is a plethora of pros to legalization. Don't just parrot government propaganda, do the research yourself, and if you still disagree on a personal basis, I think you'll find that a lot of people here will respect you for it.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #554
Sun_Down
Groovy

Quote:
How am I a troll? I'm disagreeing with you?! I'm also a she
I'm sorry. She is a clearly a troll who posts unfounded and debunked pseudo-science in order to get a rise out of people.

I doubt anyone here would call marijuana harmless, but linking it to causing schizophrenia is unfounded. The gateway drug theory has been debunked repeatedly. And there is growing research showing that the drug has some benefits.

You don't have to like it, or the people that use it (I'm not one, by the way), but classifying it in the same schedule as heroin and spending billions on marijuana enforcement is objectively preposterous. Demonizing a relatively safe drug - a drug with zero recorded overdoses - is reckless and wrong. And if you think that prohibition reduces use, you're wrong.

Does the drug cause a minimal amount of harm to users? Sure. But so what? Fatty, sodium-laced food will kill you. Aspirin will. Too much water will. Marijuana won't. It creates criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens and wastes taxpayer money. To prohibit it because of relatively minor health concerns is a ridiculously disproportional response.

That, ma'am, is why you are a troll.

Last edited by Sun_Down; 11-19-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #555
bkong0
Side-Kick

In a country where obesity is gradually approaching the 50% mark, it's always a strange argument when people are totally cool with making it illegal to use something that causes minor health problems at best. Seems if you're seriously concerned about health, you'd be cracking down on things that're making half the population obese.

The most harm that comes from marijuana is the money and lives wasted on jailing people who smoke it, not the effects from actually smoking it.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #556
Anti-Moderator
The Worst Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkong0 View Post
In a country where obesity is gradually approaching the 50% mark, it's always a strange argument when people are totally cool with making it illegal to use something that causes minor health problems at best. Seems if you're seriously concerned about health, you'd be cracking down on things that're making half the population obese.

The most harm that comes from marijuana is the money and lives wasted on jailing people who smoke it, not the effects from actually smoking it.
That is ALL you need to know in regards to whether marijuana is harmful. The "drug" hasn't ruined lives....it is the man made laws making it illegal that has.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #557
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Moderator View Post
That is ALL you need to know in regards to whether marijuana is harmful. The "drug" hasn't ruined lives....it is the man made laws making it illegal that has.
Isn't that pretty much the same as the Prohibition of alcohol and one of the primary reasons for it's repeal? That it created more problems than it solved?

*splat*
Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #558
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Down View Post
I'm sorry. She is a clearly a troll who posts unfounded and debunked pseudo-science in order to get a rise out of people.

I doubt anyone here would call marijuana harmless, but linking it to causing schizophrenia is unfounded. The gateway drug theory has been debunked repeatedly. And there is growing research showing that the drug has some benefits.

You don't have to like it, or the people that use it (I'm not one, by the way), but classifying it in the same schedule as heroin and spending billions on marijuana enforcement is objectively preposterous. Demonizing a relatively safe drug - a drug with zero recorded overdoses - is reckless and wrong. And if you think that prohibition reduces use, you're wrong.

Does the drug cause a minimal amount of harm to users? Sure. But so what? Fatty, sodium-laced food will kill you. Aspirin will. Too much water will. Marijuana won't. It creates criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens and wastes taxpayer money. To prohibit it because of relatively minor health concerns is a ridiculously disproportional response.

Me opposing your views and having arguments that YOU deem invalid (even though they are not), does NOT make me a troll. You calling me a troll makes you a narrow minded bafoon who cannot see the other side of the argument.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #559
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Not all arguments have two valid sides.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #560
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Yes, they do infact. You're all one minded, so set on your drug that you refuse to see the other side. The truth it you cannot argue your view without taking into account the other person's.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #561
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

Quote:
Yes, they do infact. You're all one minded, so set on your drug that you refuse to see the other side. The truth it you cannot argue your view without taking into account the other person's.
Having read the last few pages I haven't seen any documented facts to support your argument. Anecdotal evidence does not a good argument make. I personally don't smoke marijuana. I hate the smell and see no point for me to partake. I do, however, support the rights of others should they decide to smoke. Studies have proven time and time again that it's not a life ruining super drug that's going to have all the negative repercussions ascribed to it.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 AM   #562
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes, they do infact.
The holocaust was justified. Aaaaand....go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird
You're all one minded, so set on your drug that you refuse to see the other side.
Actually, a lot of the people arguing against you here don't smoke weed. Nice try, though. This rhetorical trick might work against feeble-minded high school students, but it's going to be relatively ineffective against most of us.

You argue like a petulant fifteen year old. I wonder why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird
The truth it you cannot argue your view without taking into account the other person's.
So far you haven't backed up your argument beyond saying, "That's just my opinion." Every other attempt you've made has failed miserably and has been countered quite handily.

Of course, you're welcome to your opinion. The problem is that you've implied that we have no sense because we disagree, even though each of your arguments has been countered with logical reasoning and independent sources.

You can't say something like that and then back into a corner crying when it bites you in the ass.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #563
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Basically, having an opinion is fine.

Trying to pass an opinion off as fact is not. Unless there's good evidence to back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #564
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...p_ref=politics

U.N bullies America basically....more at 5 pm, Alex...

Old 11-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #565
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Hey UN, shut up or we'll start charging you taxes for the land you have in our country.

Quote:
Old 11-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #566
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Basically, having an opinion is fine.

Trying to pass an opinion off as fact is not. Unless there's good evidence to back it up.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Down View Post

I want to like this but I don't believe in hitting women and you just intellectually slapped the hell out of her, so I can't like this.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #567
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I'm leaving these boards. I've only just realized I'm trying to have a reasonable debate with one minded pot heads.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #568
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Never smoked a day in my life, nor do I ever plan to.

But if all you're going to do is just make general assumptions, and try passing your opinion off as fact with no foundation to back it up, you won't be missed.

Quote:
Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #569
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

It's easier to just label others and then cry victim then to actually debate. I would say it's a shame cause I love to hear dissenting opinion but then only when it's backed up by argument and not namecalling. "you're all just stupid potheads and you're mean to me (pout)" isn't really doing anything for me or your argument.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #570
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Never smoked a day in my life, nor do I ever plan to.

But if all you're going to do is just make general assumptions, and try passing your opinion off as fact with no foundation to back it up, you won't be missed.
Same here

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #571
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
I'm leaving these boards. I've only just realized I'm trying to have a reasonable debate with one minded pot heads.
Actually, these "one minded potheads" were reasonably debating your opinions with solid facts to back up their arguments. But you didn't back any of yours up and furthermore kept repeating the same propagandist drivel, like a troll. Therefore you're entirely entitled to abandon the conversation but as wiegeabo said, you will not be missed.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #572
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Here's an excellent letter from Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (L.E.A.P).

Quote:
Dear Mr. Attorney General and Our Colleagues in the Department of Justice,

As fellow law enforcement and criminal justice professionals we respectfully call upon you to respect and abide by the democratically enacted laws to regulate marijuana in Colorado and Washington. This is not a challenge to you, but an invitation – an invitation to help return our profession to the principles that made us enter law enforcement in the first place.

We went into law enforcement, despite its long hours and constant frustrations, because we wanted to serve our communities. We wanted to save people, to protect them, and there are few more selfless and noble callings on this earth. But the second we overthrow the will of the people, we fail to live up to the promise of that calling.

The great American political writings upon which this country was founded were based in John Locke’s concept of the social contract, which recognizes that the authority of police, and of all government, is derived from the people. And the people have spoken. To disregard the fact is to undermine the legitimacy of the ideas for which our forefathers fought and died.

This is not merely an academic argument. August Vollmer, father of professional policing and primary author of the Wickersham Commission report that served to bring an end to the prohibition of alcohol, opposed the enforcement of drug laws, saying that they "engender disrespect both for law and for the agents of law enforcement." His words ring as true today as they did in 1929. After 40 years of the drug war, people no longer look upon law enforcement as heroes but as people to be feared. This is particularly true in poor neighborhoods and in those of people of color, and it impacts our ability to fight real crime.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...usaolp00000003

Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #573
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

oldie but goodie...

Why Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Traffic Deaths

http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/0...raffic-deaths/

Old 11-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #574
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

Quote:
Well that's horribly offensive.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #575
Sun_Down
Groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraldeficiency View Post
I want to like this but I don't believe in hitting women and you just intellectually slapped the hell out of her, so I can't like this.
This made me LOL.