The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Is it time to legalize pot?
Yes 177 74.37%
No 48 20.17%
I don't know 13 5.46%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #551
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

How am I a troll? I'm disagreeing with you?! I'm also a she

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #552
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,209
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I'm also a she
Women? On MY internets?

Doctor Evo is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #553
Dark Sentinel
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 865 Peppling Ave., Pettsburg, Gotham City
Posts: 6,998
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
Women? On MY internets?


But Hawkingbird, here's the real issue. You're not looking at the facts. It's ok to disagree if it's your personal belief, I for one will respect that. There are in fact a lot of people who've posted in this thread who don't smoke cannabis and don't encourage such behavior, but if you look at the concrete, scientific facts of cannabis toxicity (next to none for the most part, THC actually retards cancer cells), addiction (again, next to none, here I will refer you to a NY Times article from 1994 on the subject: http://www.tfy.drugsense.org/tfy/addictvn.htm) and economic benefits of industrial hemp, you'll see that there is a plethora of pros to legalization. Don't just parrot government propaganda, do the research yourself, and if you still disagree on a personal basis, I think you'll find that a lot of people here will respect you for it.

Dark Sentinel is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #554
Sun_Down
Groovy
 
Sun_Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,044
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
How am I a troll? I'm disagreeing with you?! I'm also a she
I'm sorry. She is a clearly a troll who posts unfounded and debunked pseudo-science in order to get a rise out of people.

I doubt anyone here would call marijuana harmless, but linking it to causing schizophrenia is unfounded. The gateway drug theory has been debunked repeatedly. And there is growing research showing that the drug has some benefits.

You don't have to like it, or the people that use it (I'm not one, by the way), but classifying it in the same schedule as heroin and spending billions on marijuana enforcement is objectively preposterous. Demonizing a relatively safe drug - a drug with zero recorded overdoses - is reckless and wrong. And if you think that prohibition reduces use, you're wrong.

Does the drug cause a minimal amount of harm to users? Sure. But so what? Fatty, sodium-laced food will kill you. Aspirin will. Too much water will. Marijuana won't. It creates criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens and wastes taxpayer money. To prohibit it because of relatively minor health concerns is a ridiculously disproportional response.

That, ma'am, is why you are a troll.

__________________
Itís the greatest gift we have - to bear their pain without breaking. And itís born from the most human power: hope.

Last edited by Sun_Down; 11-19-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Sun_Down is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #555
bkong0
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 42
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

In a country where obesity is gradually approaching the 50% mark, it's always a strange argument when people are totally cool with making it illegal to use something that causes minor health problems at best. Seems if you're seriously concerned about health, you'd be cracking down on things that're making half the population obese.

The most harm that comes from marijuana is the money and lives wasted on jailing people who smoke it, not the effects from actually smoking it.

bkong0 is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #556
Anti-Moderator
The Worst Kind
 
Anti-Moderator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Atlantic America
Posts: 1,043
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkong0 View Post
In a country where obesity is gradually approaching the 50% mark, it's always a strange argument when people are totally cool with making it illegal to use something that causes minor health problems at best. Seems if you're seriously concerned about health, you'd be cracking down on things that're making half the population obese.

The most harm that comes from marijuana is the money and lives wasted on jailing people who smoke it, not the effects from actually smoking it.
That is ALL you need to know in regards to whether marijuana is harmful. The "drug" hasn't ruined lives....it is the man made laws making it illegal that has.

__________________
It's only after we've lost everything that we are free to do anything.
Anti-Moderator is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #557
Bathead
The Oldest Geek
 
Bathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sumwear in Pencilvainya
Posts: 5,220
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Moderator View Post
That is ALL you need to know in regards to whether marijuana is harmful. The "drug" hasn't ruined lives....it is the man made laws making it illegal that has.
Isn't that pretty much the same as the Prohibition of alcohol and one of the primary reasons for it's repeal? That it created more problems than it solved?

__________________
Little fly upon the wall,
Ain't you got no friends at all?
Wanna see God?
*splat*
Bathead is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #558
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Down View Post
I'm sorry. She is a clearly a troll who posts unfounded and debunked pseudo-science in order to get a rise out of people.

I doubt anyone here would call marijuana harmless, but linking it to causing schizophrenia is unfounded. The gateway drug theory has been debunked repeatedly. And there is growing research showing that the drug has some benefits.

You don't have to like it, or the people that use it (I'm not one, by the way), but classifying it in the same schedule as heroin and spending billions on marijuana enforcement is objectively preposterous. Demonizing a relatively safe drug - a drug with zero recorded overdoses - is reckless and wrong. And if you think that prohibition reduces use, you're wrong.

Does the drug cause a minimal amount of harm to users? Sure. But so what? Fatty, sodium-laced food will kill you. Aspirin will. Too much water will. Marijuana won't. It creates criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens and wastes taxpayer money. To prohibit it because of relatively minor health concerns is a ridiculously disproportional response.

That, ma'am, is why you are a troll.
Me opposing your views and having arguments that YOU deem invalid (even though they are not), does NOT make me a troll. You calling me a troll makes you a narrow minded bafoon who cannot see the other side of the argument.

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #559
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 15,065
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Not all arguments have two valid sides.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #560
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Yes, they do infact. You're all one minded, so set on your drug that you refuse to see the other side. The truth it you cannot argue your view without taking into account the other person's.

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #561
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh
 
Matt Mortem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Mattcave
Posts: 13,073
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Yes, they do infact. You're all one minded, so set on your drug that you refuse to see the other side. The truth it you cannot argue your view without taking into account the other person's.
Having read the last few pages I haven't seen any documented facts to support your argument. Anecdotal evidence does not a good argument make. I personally don't smoke marijuana. I hate the smell and see no point for me to partake. I do, however, support the rights of others should they decide to smoke. Studies have proven time and time again that it's not a life ruining super drug that's going to have all the negative repercussions ascribed to it.

Matt Mortem is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 AM   #562
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,209
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Yes, they do infact.
The holocaust was justified. Aaaaand....go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird
You're all one minded, so set on your drug that you refuse to see the other side.
Actually, a lot of the people arguing against you here don't smoke weed. Nice try, though. This rhetorical trick might work against feeble-minded high school students, but it's going to be relatively ineffective against most of us.

You argue like a petulant fifteen year old. I wonder why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird
The truth it you cannot argue your view without taking into account the other person's.
So far you haven't backed up your argument beyond saying, "That's just my opinion." Every other attempt you've made has failed miserably and has been countered quite handily.

Of course, you're welcome to your opinion. The problem is that you've implied that we have no sense because we disagree, even though each of your arguments has been countered with logical reasoning and independent sources.

You can't say something like that and then back into a corner crying when it bites you in the ass.

Doctor Evo is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #563
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,416
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Basically, having an opinion is fine.

Trying to pass an opinion off as fact is not. Unless there's good evidence to back it up.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #564
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,286
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

.....


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...p_ref=politics


U.N bullies America basically....more at 5 pm, Alex...

__________________

enterthemadness is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #565
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,416
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Hey UN, shut up or we'll start charging you taxes for the land you have in our country.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #566
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon
 
moraldeficiency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: sunny florida
Posts: 9,512
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Basically, having an opinion is fine.

Trying to pass an opinion off as fact is not. Unless there's good evidence to back it up.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Down View Post
I'm sorry. She is a clearly a troll who posts unfounded and debunked pseudo-science in order to get a rise out of people.

I doubt anyone here would call marijuana harmless, but linking it to causing schizophrenia is unfounded. The gateway drug theory has been debunked repeatedly. And there is growing research showing that the drug has some benefits.

You don't have to like it, or the people that use it (I'm not one, by the way), but classifying it in the same schedule as heroin and spending billions on marijuana enforcement is objectively preposterous. Demonizing a relatively safe drug - a drug with zero recorded overdoses - is reckless and wrong. And if you think that prohibition reduces use, you're wrong.

Does the drug cause a minimal amount of harm to users? Sure. But so what? Fatty, sodium-laced food will kill you. Aspirin will. Too much water will. Marijuana won't. It creates criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens and wastes taxpayer money. To prohibit it because of relatively minor health concerns is a ridiculously disproportional response.

That, ma'am, is why you are a troll.
I want to like this but I don't believe in hitting women and you just intellectually slapped the hell out of her, so I can't like this.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Let me see .. Republicans are mostly gay ... Democrats oppose Republicans ... so Democrats are homophobic! :eek:

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
moraldeficiency is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #567
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

I'm leaving these boards. I've only just realized I'm trying to have a reasonable debate with one minded pot heads.

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #568
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,416
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Never smoked a day in my life, nor do I ever plan to.

But if all you're going to do is just make general assumptions, and try passing your opinion off as fact with no foundation to back it up, you won't be missed.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #569
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon
 
moraldeficiency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: sunny florida
Posts: 9,512
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

It's easier to just label others and then cry victim then to actually debate. I would say it's a shame cause I love to hear dissenting opinion but then only when it's backed up by argument and not namecalling. "you're all just stupid potheads and you're mean to me (pout)" isn't really doing anything for me or your argument.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Let me see .. Republicans are mostly gay ... Democrats oppose Republicans ... so Democrats are homophobic! :eek:

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
moraldeficiency is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #570
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,885
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Never smoked a day in my life, nor do I ever plan to.

But if all you're going to do is just make general assumptions, and try passing your opinion off as fact with no foundation to back it up, you won't be missed.
Same here

__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants
Loki: i have an armyTony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #571
Dark Sentinel
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 865 Peppling Ave., Pettsburg, Gotham City
Posts: 6,998
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I'm leaving these boards. I've only just realized I'm trying to have a reasonable debate with one minded pot heads.
Actually, these "one minded potheads" were reasonably debating your opinions with solid facts to back up their arguments. But you didn't back any of yours up and furthermore kept repeating the same propagandist drivel, like a troll. Therefore you're entirely entitled to abandon the conversation but as wiegeabo said, you will not be missed.

Dark Sentinel is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #572
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,665
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Here's an excellent letter from Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (L.E.A.P).

Quote:
Dear Mr. Attorney General and Our Colleagues in the Department of Justice,

As fellow law enforcement and criminal justice professionals we respectfully call upon you to respect and abide by the democratically enacted laws to regulate marijuana in Colorado and Washington. This is not a challenge to you, but an invitation – an invitation to help return our profession to the principles that made us enter law enforcement in the first place.

We went into law enforcement, despite its long hours and constant frustrations, because we wanted to serve our communities. We wanted to save people, to protect them, and there are few more selfless and noble callings on this earth. But the second we overthrow the will of the people, we fail to live up to the promise of that calling.

The great American political writings upon which this country was founded were based in John Locke’s concept of the social contract, which recognizes that the authority of police, and of all government, is derived from the people. And the people have spoken. To disregard the fact is to undermine the legitimacy of the ideas for which our forefathers fought and died.

This is not merely an academic argument. August Vollmer, father of professional policing and primary author of the Wickersham Commission report that served to bring an end to the prohibition of alcohol, opposed the enforcement of drug laws, saying that they "engender disrespect both for law and for the agents of law enforcement." His words ring as true today as they did in 1929. After 40 years of the drug war, people no longer look upon law enforcement as heroes but as people to be feared. This is particularly true in poor neighborhoods and in those of people of color, and it impacts our ability to fight real crime.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...usaolp00000003

__________________
MR - Morlock Rule
MessiahDecoy123 is online now  
Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #573
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,665
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

oldie but goodie...

Why Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Traffic Deaths

http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/0...raffic-deaths/

__________________
MR - Morlock Rule
MessiahDecoy123 is online now  
Old 11-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #574
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh
 
Matt Mortem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Mattcave
Posts: 13,073
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I'm leaving these boards. I've only just realized I'm trying to have a reasonable debate with one minded pot heads.
Well that's horribly offensive.

Matt Mortem is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #575
Sun_Down
Groovy
 
Sun_Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,044
Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraldeficiency View Post
I want to like this but I don't believe in hitting women and you just intellectually slapped the hell out of her, so I can't like this.
This made me LOL.

__________________
Itís the greatest gift we have - to bear their pain without breaking. And itís born from the most human power: hope.
Sun_Down is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.